Fallout 4

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The New Vegas Legendary Deathclaw I only killed because I had found a chainsaw that ignored all armor. Get strung out on the damage and crit drugs run up and VATS.

Even then I barely survived. Fuckin' Deathclaws.

Caliane

yeah. I don't get the fright as much either. FO3 vanilla was my main source of FO. And, also, stealth/guns. Sniper rifle 1 shot pretty much everything, colt 45 to the skull everything else. walk around in stealth all the ways. Dunno, maybe vanilla's difficulty was just that fubard.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Well, thank god that it wasn't an MMO then. Can you imagine how much crying there would have been?

"Your pisspoor Deathclaw implementation means that only stealth builds are worth a shit at the end game. My melee tank still can't go toe-to-toe with them, and my entire guild mandates that everyone build for stealth + range. GG"

...not that you can't stealth and melee, I guess...but yeah.

Caliane

looking at the wiki, it does seem NV buffed them quite a bit.
FO3 had 2 kinds.
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Deathclaw_(Fallout_3)

Basic and Enclave.
both had 500 hp, 0% DR/DT. 8 perception, and 100 melee damage.

NV had a whole host of them.
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Deathc...out:_New_Vegas)
Basic have 500 hp, 15% DT,0%DR, 7-8perc, and 125 melee damage.

Alphas increase to 750 hp, and 300 melee damage.

Legendary has 1000 hp, 250 damage.

Reintroduction of DT might make their damage vs you less in relation though too.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I guess it depends on the difficulty level you select. The normal level, at least when I played at launch is laughably easy and DT was a joke. Move that up a notch to something not causal and DT was the real deal and if you didn't swap ammo it was almost impossible to kill something and if you did swap ammo it still took quite a few shots to the face to kill enemies with high DT.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah anyone playing on hard or very hard is either lying or cheated with mods if they say a Deathclaw was easy.

(Minus Chinese stealth suit and sniping)

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Can still one-shot any of them on the highest difficulty in either game by using the right perks and gun (only the Legendary requires using the AMR, from what I recall). Unarmed weapons such as Fisto! and Industrial Hand tear them apart as well.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Is it retarded for a new Fallout player to totally ignore strength at character creation? Is carry capacity a huge deal?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Is it retarded for a new Fallout player to totally ignore strength at character creation? Is carry capacity a huge deal?
If you're not punching shit as your primary attack, then probably. Carry capacity can be a bit annoying when you want to carry lots of shit, but its managable.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Can still one-shot any of them on the highest difficulty in either game by using the right perks and gun (only the Legendary requires using the AMR, from what I recall). Unarmed weapons such as Fisto! and Industrial Hand tear them apart as well.
Those perks and weapons take a lot of time and I'd still have to go test that out at Sloan against those matures on very hard. We're talking some high level perk combos n gear with zero mods or ~ used.

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Strength in FO3 was pretty much needed if you intended to wear power armor, since that shit weighed a ton. I felt like a damned EQ1 monk in that game (dumping shit to stay under weight cap).

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I don't remember if strong back had a pre-req for str but that is a great perk to add carrying capacity.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I haven't decided what I want to do for my first play through since I'm such a Fallout newb.

Stealth/Snipe sounds fun, but seems a bit cheese. I don't want things to be too easy.

What do you guys think of a STR/Luck/End focused build. Uses rocket launchers at range, then sprint/charge + knockdown with shotguns for close range?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Strength in FO3 was pretty much needed if you intended to wear power armor, since that shit weighed a ton. I felt like a damned EQ1 monk in that game (dumping shit to stay under weight cap).
By that point you can get a bobblehead that gives + str and upgrades via perks and other shit. Its a waste to dump precious SPECIAL points into STR at the start of the game if you aren't going melee heavy.

Vorph

All my NV characters started with 7 str, ended with 10. CH is your dump stat, not ST.

Edit: Looking back through some random notes I had about Fallout 3, my standard SPECIAL there was 7671487 too.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
That's true, you can basically put no points in Charisma in F3 and NV. Forgot about that.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Do you only get to say asshole things? Or you just don't get special conversation trees that are unlocked with higher charisma? I vaguely recall putting some points into CHA in both games and getting to skip bear ass collecting.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Think it just limits some conversation options that you can bypass with other skills/stats anyway for the most part.

Vorph

Do you only get to say asshole things? Or you just don't get special conversation trees that are unlocked with higher charisma? I vaguely recall putting some points into CHA in both games and getting to skip bear ass collecting.
Even a 1 CH is really 4 after a short while, just from clothing, hat, and bobblehead. Then if you're really desperate you can use grape mentats for +5 more. That gives you 9, can't remember if alcohol stacks to hit 10 or not. I'm thinking not, but it's been a long time. Regardless, 9 CH and 100 speech skill will give you 100% success on the vast majority of checks in the game. You'd have about a 40% chance on the hardest check in the game, but there's pretty much zero reason to complete that particular quest with the speech skill when there's a simple way to bypass it.