Fallout 4

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Cha is useless is affects a few dialogue starts in how a couple of NPC's initially talk to you. Doc at the start isa good example. It can also impact some conversations but you can get past that by raising your speech skill. So it essentially has zero real impact in the game whatsoever.

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The SPECIAL youtube series makes it seem like CHA in FO4 has use in terms of taming animals. 10 CHA = tamed Deathclaws? ;p

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Re: Deathclaws, one thing that makes them somewhat easier is that they are generally compacted to a few areas in FO3 and NV. You can more or less find them and nope the fuck out until you're high level. And when you engage them you can hulk out on chems. In my playthrough it was impossible to just stealth-snipe them, but you could position yourself such that once you opened with stealth-snipe you'd have enough time if you shot them quickly to kill or injure them enough before the rape train of death claws caught you.

The next east ofTechatticup mine - The Fallout wiki - Fallout: New Vegas and more - Wikiaacross the Colorado River has a massive nest of them. Much bigger than the quarry. It was really tough taking them all out.

But to the previous point, I don't think it'd be possible to kill them without stealth and sniper rifles at the difficulty I played at and with the mods that made them harder.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Also, what difficulty level are people starting out with? I'm going whatever is the hardest. (And it's only worth it if everyone knows that I'm playing hard mode in a singleplayer game).

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I played one down from hardest on my original FO3 and normal on NV. I have a distrust of difficulty modes. I don't find tacking 10x HP/ATK onto everything interesting gameplay, and it often throws the scaling of the game even further toward the early game gangrape/late game synergy-god balance that I despise. If difficulty settings applied more selectively to preserve flow I'd embrace them.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Re: SPECIAL, does anyone remember if Endurance changed health as a scalar * your level and updating your endurance would increase your health instantly, or was it a scalar to your health everytime you leveled up? I can't remember...

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Re: Deathclaws, one thing that makes them somewhat easier is that they are generally compacted to a few areas in FO3 and NV. You can more or less find them and nope the fuck out until you're high level. And when you engage them you can hulk out on chems. In my playthrough it was impossible to just stealth-snipe them, but you could position yourself such that once you opened with stealth-snipe you'd have enough time if you shot them quickly to kill or injure them enough before the rape train of death claws caught you.

The next east ofTechatticup mine - The Fallout wiki - Fallout: New Vegas and more - Wikiaacross the Colorado River has a massive nest of them. Much bigger than the quarry. It was really tough taking them all out.

But to the previous point, I don't think it'd be possible to kill them without stealth and sniper rifles at the difficulty I played at and with the mods that made them harder.
In the quarry I just sneaked up to the top of the machinery and exploited geometry to snipe....still took forever on max difficulty.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I played one down from hardest on my original FO3 and normal on NV. I have a distrust of difficulty modes. I don't find tacking 10x HP/ATK onto everything interesting gameplay, and it often throws the scaling of the game even further toward the early game gangrape/late game synergy-god balance that I despise. If difficulty settings applied more selectively to preserve flow I'd embrace them.
They can easily implement certain measures to deal with difficulty curve.

One thing they can do is increase health regen of certain enemies, as well as increasing certain resistances to some damage types. This would force players to use a certain weapon type that might not be in their comfort zone, as well as forcing you into more dangerous situations as the health regen will impact the way you play as you are going to want to kill the enemy as quick as possible. Think about it, how many times were you able to run away and take cover and simply stimpack and drug your way back to health before finishing off the wounded mob. With this change that would just put you back at square one.

Caliane

Did we discuss FO4 vats not freezing time? it only goes in slow motion this time.(probably have an agil perk making it even slower) That alone should ramp up the difficulty bigtime. no cheesing of instant 10 healthpacks, 10 headshots in a row, etc..

Vorph

Don't like the sound of it, and if it's something I can mod with FO4Edit it will be fixed the moment that tool is released.

The only thing cheesy about VATS is that in FO3 it gave 90% damage reduction while actions were executing. The actual VATS itself is fine; it behaves like a traditional RPG and puts the focus on your character's skills. I'd say it's a hell of a lot more "cheesy" to play it like a FPS where player skill allows you to take shots that your character has no business attempting, let alone landing. Sniper rifles are the worst offenders since you can shoot from so far away that the AI doesn't even react to itself getting hit, let alone you dropping all its friends one after another with headshots. Deathclaws are extremely easy to cheese this way, even if you don't have enough perks or the gun/ammo/chems required to one-shot them.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Fist playthrough is usually one above normal. Second is usually on hardest once I've had a chance to see things. IF the game only has easy, normal and ball break I'll sometimes play first run on normal.

The sniper thing is a pretty easy fix. Adding some realistic bullet drop and npc reaction to sound when you shoot at them would go a long way in making it harder to just plink away at things from far away.

Personally I find VATS to be necessary because of the terrible fps mechanics. If they fix the mechanics, VATS will be nothing but a crutch if it remains as is in older versions (pause). If they make it a version of bullet time that might be interesting.

Vorph

I usually end up playing on the hardest difficulty because Bethesda games are so easy to break even just by accident (hi2u Skyrim crafting). Players deal 1/2 damage and enemies deal 2x damage is the laziest shit way to do difficulty though.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
While it's more of a design burden, I like how Blizzard handles/distinguishes difficulty in raids. Low difficulty is pretty hard to fail because there are minimal impactful mechanics. Normal increases the significance of the mechanics (damage, radius, etc) and is about right for the everyday gamer who wants some risk and feeling of overcoming challenges. Hard adds new mechanics to the Normal encounters and increases the damage of avoidable damage to most of your max hp in a very small amount of time.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I don't think I'd enjoy playing FO3/NV on"ULTRA BALL-SMASHING HARDMODE".

EDIT: went to the quarry today around Lvl 11-12 and killed a couple vanilla deathclaw. I was kinda proud of myself until I see a blur off to my left, at the edge of the monitor.

A Deathclaw Alpha Ray-Lewised the fuck out of me.

ray-lewis-hits-dustin-keller-o.gif

Vorph

The only difference is that "ultra ball-smashing hardmode" becomes "completely trivial" around the upper teens instead of at like level eight. It makes the NV DLCs a bit of a ball-buster at times too.

But yes, it's really dumb at the start when shooting raiders half a dozen times in the head just makes them mad. Like I said above, it's a lazy shit way to do difficulty. In theory people would make mods that somehow increase the difficulty of the game in interesting ways, but every one I've tried has been "LOL HOPE U LIEK TEDIUM!!11~" so I end up sticking with the lazy shit.
frown.png

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I expect that the game will need mods to make the game more enjyoable at hard difficulties.

And honestly it's not even that hard in Elder Scrolls or Fallout. You just make it so enemies can three shot you if you screw up, and in Fallout make it so that items are scarce. There's no need for bullet sponges, it's just lazy design.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Fist playthrough is usually one above normal. Second is usually on hardest once I've had a chance to see things. IF the game only has easy, normal and ball break I'll sometimes play first run on normal.

The sniper thing is a pretty easy fix. Adding some realistic bullet drop and npc reaction to sound when you shoot at them would go a long way in making it harder to just plink away at things from far away.

Personally I find VATS to be necessary because of the terrible fps mechanics. If they fix the mechanics, VATS will be nothing but a crutch if it remains as is in older versions (pause). If they make it a version of bullet time that might be interesting.
Project Nevada added a feature to burn action points (AP) for bullet time, it was great (And more powerful than VATs in all but a few "This thing is sitting on my face and I really need that 90% damage mitigation" scenarios).

I'd actually love if they improved the long-range sniper game, which given the setting is the most obvious way to play. Like was said in this thread the game doesn't react properly at long (100+ meter) distances where shooting humans at too far a range will cause them to not even come at you. I modded my fallout playthroughs to extend the NPC draw distance, so if you had ammo you could pretty much find a watch tower, post up and just rack up a bunch of XP from mobs in a different town.

It'd also be cool if they improved the sound so you'd hear fights going on from a mile away, and gun fire in the distance.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
I don't have the same hang up on difficulty with Bethesda games, If you want a game designed around difficulty - there are hundreds of them, single and multiplayer and I love a bunch of them. An open world that lets you run any direction requires a combat system that is not developed with difficulty as the primary consideration. Witcher 3 is a good example of this, it had a reasonably tight combat system, stats and a notion of progression. Its open world becomes gated and way less open than any Bethesda game, the combat system gets in the way of that openness if it is tuned. I don't think you can make a tight combat system with huge player choice and an open world that then continues to behave openly to any player. They are competing goals - it would take constant be remaking of content for balance reasons instead of content reasons (story, flexible solutions etc). Also Geralt has different builds but he is still the same character - in a Bethesda game - there is no requirement for the player character to have certain traits or skills if you don't want them.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The cool thing about sandbox games is that you can choose how much fun you have in them. For me personally the combat mechanics, items, consumables, abilities and character builds are only interesting when the game is challenging. If I find a new weapon that is 15% more effective than my current one. But I just faceroll everything who cares?

I totally get why other people have just as much fun when the game is hard as when it's easy.

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
They are designing around the mainstream, if you want something ballbreakingly hard but fun play the dark souls series and spinoffs for that like I do. Beth games are just for fun and jerking off to female modded characters.