Fallout 4

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Going to try to get the skills I go for in every RPG that has em.

- Lockingpick
- Science/hacking
- Dialog options
- Repair / crafting
- Surgery/health

All of those would be prioritized over any sort of combat skill. Combat is combat, can always find out a way to kill a thing or tweak the encounter after dying a few times. + crit or damage or combat abilities will hardly ever be required to activate content.

However, not being able to lockpick, science/hack/repair and poor dialog skills can outright keep you from content. Might also end up meeting NPCs that require your surgery skill.

Only way I will skip lockpicking is it works like Skyrim, where you can try locks even if you don't have the skill. Save/load can get you into master locks at level 1 skill. However, guessing Fallout 4 will do what previous games did, and not let you try if you don't have the skill.

Sneaky, slow moving, sniper/ranged with above abilities will be what I try to make.
You can't try locks that are above your level. Source: The stream posted above, I've watched him get rejected from gobs of locks because he didn't have a high enough level to pick them.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
You can't try locks that are above your level. Source: The stream posted above, I've watched him get rejected from gobs of locks because he didn't have a high enough level to pick them.
High enough character level or SPECIAL level?

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
FYI - you can vpn to new zealand to unlock the game at 530am (or is it 430?) pacific monday morning. I'm gonna use flyvpn's free trial. Just turn off steam, connect to new zealand node, turn on steam to get the unlock, download the 500mb patch and put steam in offline mode until the real unlock time. Caution, it is against TOS but apparently shit tons of people do it for aaa titles and steam really goes after people using vpn's to get discounts on games, not unlock early.

sorry if this has been posted already

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Its 6:01 am Monday Eastern Time, so that would be like 3:00 am Pacific I think.

rrr_img_115510.png

And yeah, I've unlocked several games a day early like that. You have to sign into the VPN, sign into Steam, unlock the game, set Steam to offline mode, and then don't log back into steam until the game unlocks.

Never had any problems with it in the past.

I'm going to use Golden Frog

Buy VPN Account - Try VyprVPN Free | Golden Frog

You can start a basic account with a free 3 day trial lol. So sign up for the free 3 day trial, unlock the game, sometime Tuesday log back in and cancel the free trial. You don't get a download limit, you don't have the limits flyvpn puts on their free trial (20 minutes X 3 times), and you pay nothing.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
http://www.gameplorer.de/fo4/#1-1-2--4-7-1-6

Ok I think this is the build to get the most out of the game for the first play through, especially after reading that reddit thread. Idea is crit lasers with gunslinger, commando, better crits, critical banker, and robotics expert for damage. Can bobble into armorer and locksmith. Can also bobble into local leader which sounds like a mechanic I don't want to miss out on. Seems like it would be pretty cool to go all the way to the end of cha but I think it gimps personal damage too much. Also seems like it would be good to drop 2 points in chat, so you can bobble into the dog (or use lone wanderer if you don't want the dog) and throw two more points into luck for more personal damage.

any problems I'm missing?

Izo

Tranny Chaser
http://www.gameplorer.de/fo4/#1-1-2--4-7-1-6

Ok I think this is the build to get the most out of the game for the first play through, especially after reading that reddit thread. Idea is crit lasers with gunslinger, commando, better crits, critical banker, and robotics expert for damage. Can bobble into armorer and locksmith. Can also bobble into local leader which sounds like a mechanic I don't want to miss out on. Seems like it would be pretty cool to go all the way to the end of cha but I think it gimps personal damage too much. Also seems like it would be good to drop 2 points in chat, so you can bobble into the dog (or use lone wanderer if you don't want the dog) and throw two more points into luck for more personal damage.

any problems I'm missing?
Sexy time with the wife?

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I figure I can do that sunday night and then maybe be able to come off the high enough by wens to plug it again.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
STR of 4 and lvl 39 is what you need to access the max rank of that perk.
Armorer is only ST 3. And yeah, I didn't mean I'd divert more than 1 actual point to ST. The last one will come from the bobblehead. Coming up with the 4 perks for Armorer itself will be the hard part.

well you cant JUST be a sniper. fo3 did that too. you do need close quarters options for buildings, subways, etc. In that, the magnum or silenced pistol for upclose.
These are all console players who have to deal with gamepad FPS controls. I take their claims of "difficulty" with a very large block of salt.

I'm not sure I'd agree about pulling out a pistol for a sniper forced to deal with interior combat though. What you want is a semi-auto rifle with as low an AP cost as possible. Sniper rifles traditionally have had way too high an AP cost to use effectively in VATS. Whatever the FO4 equivalent to the service rifle (Survivalist Rifle) or marksman carbine (All-American) from New Vegas would be ideal. That way you still get the benefit of your Rifleman perk, instead of trying to kill shit with a pistol and no perks at all.

High enough character level or SPECIAL level?
Both. PE 4 and level 7/18 for expert/master locks. IN 4 and level 9/21 for expert/master hacking. The final rank in each is much higher level, and also completely worthless.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Armorer is only ST 3. And yeah, I didn't mean I'd divert more than 1 actual point to ST. The last one will come from the bobblehead. Coming up with the 4 perks for Armorer itself will be the hard part.
Yeah I read that wrong, I thought it said you needed a 4 str to unlock the last level.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Also, they've apparently changed the archive file format which means we could be waiting a while for texture mods. All depends on how much work will go into updating current tools to make them compatible with the new format. Until then modders won't even be able to get at the textures.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I'm hoping they put out a free higher definition texture set for PC like they did with Skyrim. It still gets 99% replaced by modders eventually, but it would help.

The game doesn't look that bad in action though. I watched like 4 hours of that stream today and the game looks fine.

BarkingHorse

Macho Ma'am
FYI You've been able to buy a quality (controller and nand wise, not halo products) 240-256GB ssd for ~$70-85 shipped for about six months now. Earlier via sale, and now just from prices dropping. Samsung 850 Evo's, Crucial BX100's, Sandisk Ultra II's all have fine read speeds and load games nearly as quickly as high end drives. I've had games loaded to 840 pro's, 850 pro's, and Ultra Extremes as well as larger 840/850 evo's, MX100,BX100,BX200, and Ultra II's, and the difference on initial start up is maybe a second or two, but loading levels is near as makes no difference identical.

The past couple weeks at Newegg you've been able to get either a ~500GB ssd for $170 or two ~250GB for $150. A couple bucks more at Amazon. Either way the price is low enough to have enough SSD space to keep all your current plays going at once. FO4 is going to finally push Battlefield 4 off though.

Just saying, if anyone complains about not having enough SSD space on their gaming machine... it isn't because it isn't available at fairly reasonable prices anymore. As long as you stick to Samsung (Or Sandisk/Crucial) you can't really go wrong, and while their write speeds are far below the high end stuff their read speeds are pretty much on par, certainly for gaming reads.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
We've be trying to schedule a poker game with the cops for almost 6 months now. One of their sergeants just drove by us during lunch, and we scheduled a game for Tuesday. Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit, looks like I'm going all-in the first hand and "heading home to take a shit".

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Samsung 850 EVO is the one I always recommend (and use) too. $164 for a 500GB right now at Amazon, which is a pretty good price considering the lowest it's ever been is $150.

If anyone gets one, be aware that Samsung no longer includes any sort of bracket or SATA cables with their drives. Plan accordingly if you don't have a 2.5" bay open in your case and a spare cable.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I don't have to worry about this as my orders are already in "preparing for shipping" which actually apparently means they've already shipped (and been charged to my card), but apparently Best Buy is canceling Pip Boy edition preorders left and right for people changing payment methods or shipping locations.

And their forums are fucking coated in epic quantities of butthurt and smarmy Best Buy condescending "We're so sorry you're disappointed in your shopping experience, thank you for telling us about your experience!" posts that I might overdose from the schadenfreude.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Gah need to upgrade computer before being able to play. Oh well couple more months wont hurt.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Yeah it literally just happened lol

Its silly, every store in Germany is selling the game now....street date is broken.

They need to just go ahead and release it.