Fallout 4

Zaide

TLP Idealist
9-10 IN just for the xp? Everything else int does seems like stuff that won't be touched at all for many hours into the game (EWs, robotics, chems, radiation whatever, etc.) if it's anything like FO3 and NV. High ranks of the crafting skills are gated by level and not just SPECIAL, so there's no shortcutting that either. +XP in Fallout has always been just about useless before, and even with the removal of the level cap I have a hard time believing that's going to change much.

Definitely going high PE and AG, probably 4 in IN, then whatever. My first playthrough is always all about rifles.
I just see the cumulative impact of high Int resulting in me being able to fully flesh out my character easier. Faster levels means higher special sooner, more perks etc. It's kind of like starting weaker for a stronger mid -> end game.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I guess it works out *if* you intend to raise IN to 9 or 10 as part of your main build and not just as something to dump points into when you're at the point where you already have everything you'll ever use.

I have a hard time seeing the usefulness of IN on anything but an EW focused character, but that's without knowing what the IN 9 or 10 perks actually do, or knowing how much IN is required to max out Gun Nut (not sure if IN stays the same and level req increases as you go up the ranks, or if IN goes up too). If I'm going to need 8+ IN to max out Gun Nut then yeah, I'd probably consider starting with it too.

Edit: I'm also assuming that it's at most 1% xp per point of IN, so maybe a 5-6% increase over what you get for starting at IN 4 (hacking req.).

Vaclav

9-10 IN just for the xp? Everything else int does seems like stuff that won't be touched at all for many hours into the game (EWs, robotics, chems, radiation whatever, etc.) if it's anything like FO3 and NV. High ranks of the crafting skills are gated by level and not just SPECIAL, so there's no shortcutting that either. +XP in Fallout has always been just about useless before, and even with the removal of the level cap I have a hard time believing that's going to change much.

Definitely going high PE and AG, probably 4 in IN, then whatever. My first playthrough is always all about rifles.
EW look like you'll get early on assuming that section with the black guy with the hat from the demos is early on.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
FYI: This game will release 17 hours early in Australia, and so you can do the whole use a virtual private network to log into an IP in Japan or Australia and unlock the game, then set steam to offline mode and play the game on the 9th. That has worked for me on other titles that released starting in Australia/Japan/Korea the day before.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Dumb questions; is the power armor gated behind some kind of perk? Does it benefit one playstyle over another? Is it limited in use? I've never played a FO game before, burn me at the stake I guess.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
In Fallout 3 and New Vegas it was gated behind power armor training perk, which was acquirable in different ways at different points (In Fallout 3 without DLC you needed to get to a point in the main storyline to get power armor, but once the DLC came out there was an entire DLC that ended with you getting power armor training, in NV I can't recall what you had to do to get power armor training).

It makes you tank damage more easily, and makes it harder to sneak, but this was easily offset by a high enough sneak skill.

It was only limited in its durability and you could repair it with other power armors.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Have this preordered but so far have literally read/watched nothing on the game aside from a the trailers and a little bit of this thread. Is FO4 supposed to be significantly different in anyway from FO3/NV aside from the deeper crafting system?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Nope. Itll probably be the same with a few improvements.

In fact I'd say compared to changes made from ES2->3->4->5, FO3->4 has the fewest known changes pre-release.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
We'll have to see, but a (probably not comprehensive) list of changes I can think of off the top of my head:

More in depth crafting system
Ability to build your own town and attract vendors and such
Complete overhaul of the stats and leveling system
No level cap

Anyone got anything else to add?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
didn't watch, going to skim over this weekend:

I guess this guy did a one health bar, no sleeping/eating/stimpack run of FONV/FO3 or something. I didn't watch those vids but that sounds impressive at the start.
I watched this whole thing, was a bit disappointing since it's the same blind theorycrafting as everything else. We really don't know anything about optimal builds.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
We'll have to see, but a (probably not comprehensive) list of changes I can think of off the top of my head:

No level cap

That's pretty much it. I wouldn't even call it a complete overhaul of the stats/leveling system.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I guess Bethesda realized they shouldnt fix whats not broken and that too much deviation would turn fans of th franchise off.

Im actually kinda glad if thats the case.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Some screenshots from the ps4 version being posted on /v/ right now

I'm reposting them here, nothing too spoilery, but putting it in spoilers anyway.

rrr_img_114888.jpg

rrr_img_114889.jpg

rrr_img_114890.jpg

rrr_img_114891.jpg

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
PC version looks a lot better than the ps4/xbox, too, from what I've seen.

Can't post webms here though so can't demonstrate it.

Vorph

Not sure how that's disappointing for PS4. It's only disappointing if those are the highest res textures the game offers, and I vaguely recall them saying something a while back that implied PC textures would be at least 2k. Those look more like 1k textures, with a few that might only be 512 (due to running out of texture memory). The antialiasing they've used is making a bit of a mess out of the picture too; it's the fullscreen vaseline-filter type of AA rather than the real thing.

Bobbleheads confirmed though, so at least there was something useful in there.

I'm also kind of wondering how you pronounce FPRCIAS in Spanish.

Vaclav

No level cap

VATS more like Mass Effect command mode vs. old VATS

Jozu

How is the no level cap thing going to work? Is the world that dynamic as far as enemies go and the level of difficulty or will mobs just scale with your level?

It would be cool if there were certain parts of the world that had hard as fuck enemies that were like lvl 90 and the only way you could farm them is to achieve a really high level (wouldnt be required to finish main story etc). It would give a huge incentive to gain levels and increase the replay value of the game by tenfold. I doubt thats how it works but that would be awesome.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
No one really knows yet except the people playing right now.

The main story line finishes and you can keep playing, and you can continue gaining experience and levels and cap out all the ranks of all the perks and get max SPECIAL stats if you play enough, that's all we know.

I'm assuming the DLC will add some substantial extra content to justify such a change. Probably areas will respawn as well.

Elder Scrolls has no level cap, so I imagine it will work similarly to that. Every few days cleared regions respawn at a higher level or something.