Fallout 4

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Hahahaha or maybe I'm trying to bring some levity into a conversation that you have absolutely polluted with your usual levels of batshit crazy aggression?
There was and has been no aggression. There's been me, Skanda, a_skeleton_03, and Tuco all trying to talk sense into you, and you beating your head against a wall created by your own stupidity.

There is no levity here. There's you making unreasonable demands on a franchise you clearly aren't interested in playing, shitting up what is generally a very good thread on a highly anticipated game due out in a week that you simply cannot handle existing in its current form.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
There was and has been no aggression. There's been me, Skanda, a_skeleton_03, and Tuco all trying to talk sense into you, and you beating your head against a wall created by your own stupidity.

There is no levity here. There's you making unreasonable demands on a franchise you clearly aren't interested in playing, shitting up what is generally a very good thread on a highly anticipated game due out in a week that you simply cannot handle existing in its current form.
Alright man. Good luck to you.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Anyway, the skills deeper into the perks are mostly pretty bland. Looks like I'm gonna go pretty deep into INT and possibly CHA

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
what was leaked? just teh screenshots?
There's all sorts of leaks coming out now. Go back a page or two, before Quaid's carebare derail, and I have linked a couple of videos.

Also this:
rrr_img_114997.jpg

The size comparison has been made based on the assumption that the quadrants are still the same size as they were in FO3/NV.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I'm not sure I even see enough similarity in gore between the old and new franchises to bother bringing up the comparison to defend FO3/FO4. Did heads and limbs fly off? Sure. Were there nasty ways to die? Absolutely. But I feel that a lot of the comparisons stop there. The old death animations, crits and gore were somewhat humorous as often as not, while a lot of the newer stuff like dismemberment and decapitations seem more 'faux-realistic' with ragdoll physics.

I mean, after I headshot a raider for the millionth time and the head just pops off, I stop caring. FO1/FO2 deaths like that actually made me LOL. The 'full-auto' death-dance where the bullets ripped your torso apart, with the ribs showing? People just kinda melting into piles of goo? They just seem completely different to me. There was a strong thread of the absurd in the old games that I'm not sure I see in the new.

I understand that with an FPS it would probably be far too difficult to have a set of scripted death animations, but whatevs.

I may get hate for saying this, but I've always had this nagging feeling that FO3 was just a generic FPS with Fallout branding on it. I like the games for what they are, I'll play them, but it isn't like it was a seamless transition, so to speak.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Jesus, this got retarded. FYI the reason a mod like "Gore No More" has so few DLs is because all it takes to shut off most of the gore in FO3 is a simple ini toggle (bDisableAllGore=1). That dude just went the extra step and removed all the super mutant gore bags and giblets for whatever reason. Also, one of the first mods (#197) released for FO3 was called Gore Tweak and it had a similar effect; that mod has about 15k uniques. I suspect most people who don't like gore were probably fine with the ini or the original mod. BTW, the ini setting was removed in NV's version of the engine and Bethesda didn't add it back in Skyrim, so don't expect any simple way to turn off all the gore in FO4.

That said, Enhanced Blood--a mod that vastly improves blood textures and gives control over stuff like fullscreen blood spatter--has ~330k DLs for FO3, 550k for NV, and 3.7millionDLs for Skyrim.

Personally I love gore, but I can't stand the lack of realism when I shoot a raider with a .38 and his head severs off with surgical precision. It's one thing for Bloody Mess to have someone's arms, legs and head spontaneously explode when you shoot them in the big toe. That's a perk you have to take explicitly; if you don't like what it does you just lose a bit of potential damage. The damage loss is greater in FO4 though, since Bloody Mess has 4 ranks at +5% each, but then again, there's plenty of other perks that give far more than just 5% per rank so maybe it will still be avoidable for people who both min-max and dislike the over the top effect and the annoying hunt to find the right giblet to loot after a messy kill.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Is everything in the larger square with the dotted lines the map for 4?

If so, sweet, but hopefully all that empty ocean space gets something done with it somehow.
One of the Endurance perks is removing radiation damage from water as well as waterbreathing so all that water might not be wasted space.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
One of the Endurance perks is removing radiation damage from water as well as waterbreathing so all that water might not be wasted space.
Good, cause that's like a quarter of the map and if its just empty ocean then the map size isn't really that much bigger than the others.

There's also the DLC coming to take into consideration. I imagine they've already got some ideas of what they're planning to do with that, and hopefully some of it will involve some of that space.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
There's all sorts of leaks coming out now. Go back a page or two, before Quaid's carebare derail, and I have linked a couple of videos.

Also this:

The size comparison has been made based on the assumption that the quadrants are still the same size as they were in FO3/NV.
Those are balls. This close they always look like landscape.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
The only time the gore really made sense was the satisfying conclusion of Fallout 1 with the Overseer.

But for fuck's sake lets move on already before I Clockwork Orange Quaid into watching Ash vs Evil Dead in 3D.

Vorph

Anyway, the skills deeper into the perks are mostly pretty bland. Looks like I'm gonna go pretty deep into INT and possibly CHA
Luck looks like by far the best overall stat to me. I'd like every perk from LK 4 to 10 except for Idiot Savant (seems a waste when I'll have 5 IN for Scrapper), but it doesn't seem like there will be enough perks to go around to justify taking 'fun' stuff like Mysterious Stranger or Ricochet.

Also, Ninja 3--which even works for ranged weapons now--plus Better Criticals 3 seems ridiculously overpowered. 3.5x gun and 10x melee damage on a sneak attack, coupled with +2.5x crit damage means you're looking at 10.5x gun damage and 35x melee damage on a sneak attack crit.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Although I'm not quite sure what your playstyle is, since you mention both ammo and melee. You're right that melee and companions generally don't mix, since with melee you want to be sneaking and they will ruin that. One thing I can recommend though, use VATS as a gap-closer. You basically teleport to the enemy to land each attack.
I don't want to run around and melee 24/7, and I don't want to have to stealth to make melee viable. I should probably rely on turbo, but meh. I'm actually very happy that we'll be getting a sprint ability in 4.

I've always felt that stealth benefits were too broad in 3, and should only apply to certain stealth-themed weapons. I'm also happy seeing the perk where stealth increases damage to a much smaller selection of weapons, as opposed to stuff like"STEALTH SUPER SLEDGE OF DOOM".

I didn't know anything about any sort of VATS "teleport". I did know that you couldn't target individual hit locations (bad) and that some melee weapons got special abilities (meh), but I never thought that VATS would even work with melee at range. /boggle. I'll have to try it.

In FO3 I felt like there was a lot of things working against melee in general and that it was highly situational. Melee targets that you don't want to melee against can close range pretty damn quickly, and I'd prefer to legshot a Deathclaw or generically crit-kill one with shooting before I try standing toe-to-toe in melee. Cazadors might be easier but fuck that poison, and shotguns work so well against them. And against ranged NPCs, it just seems vastly easier to just return fire instead of trying to chase them down. Again, I'll have to try VATS at a distance, but I've had a few situations where I've tried running into a group of raiders/assassins to melee and they just scatter like chaff while all the NPCs focus fire on me.

When I say 'playstyle', it's probably more like picking a weapon for the situation, but I'd like to melee if possible. I like having followers to 'weaken' enemies and then methodically finishing enemies off myself, but a lot of the time my followers kill quicker than I can get there, hell, at times I have to race them for shooting killshots lol. And if I try to cripple legs and then melee, half the time it's pointless thanks to followers and it feels like at that point it's easier to just stick with a ranged weapon.

The perk Tuco posted about the 50% damage reduction and bonus carry weight sounds interesting, as a large part of the reason I take followers is to be loot mules and to spread damage out. Right now with NV I'm a hair away from either taking no followers at all, or working through follower quests with only one follower at a time. That or ramping up the game difficulty I guess (I remember debating that in FO3 as well)

Vorph

You still have to be pretty close in order to engage in VATS melee, but it works great against anything that likes to move around a lot.