Fallout 4

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I live around Raleigh, and when google announced they'll be bringing fiber to our area TWC gave us a free speed upgrade from 20 Mbps to 100 (though I regularly get 110+). I think I pay $55/mth.

BarkingHorse

Macho Ma'am
I'm in Winston and TWC has been saying "You're getting bumped from 50Mb to 300Mb any day now" for a year and a half. The city agreed to put in "gigabit", which is in quotes because their agreement with AT&T is for about two dozen buildings in the entire city. Good job civic leaders. That's exactly what we've been asking for...

As for FO4, that tiny file size makes the super low res texturework make more sense. They have some 100x100 textures strewn about on player facing areas for some reason when they really need to be fuckhuge textures to match the world's aesthetic and game design. That texture on the destroyed diner looks like it should be on a doorjam or maybe the backside of the fps model of a weapon. Not a world face that is square meters.

Still super hyped. Will likely put another 200 hours into this one if it's anywhere as fun as New Vegas was. If it's more FO3 part two then that estimate gets cut in half.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Twitch

Stream of PC version.

EDIT: Make sure you pre-load on your SSDs. Dem loading times.

EDIT2: Fairly sure it is the Xbox One version, not PC as was claimed when I found the link. Looked at the VOD, and he gets xbox one achievements.

For the Min maxers..

Twitch

Skip to 13:30. From then to 16ish minutes he goes through SPECIAL stats. Then skip to the 48 minute mark. From then to around 1 hour 20 minutes in he goes through every single skill. It mutes at 1:20 until he is done with it.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Preloaded on my Samsung Evo...

THIS IS BULLSHIT! LET ME PLAY THE DANG GAME!!!!!
Francis-1-.jpg

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
My SSD is pretty small (250gb) so I never install games on it.

Cleaned up some space on it though, got it up to 80 gb free by deleting the old Win7 files (I'm not going back to Win7 anyway, I like win10 enough, its not perfect but I don't hate it) so I decided to delete the preload and reinstall it on the SSD.

Should be interesting to see how fast it unpacks and loads, considering Windows boots up so fast I have about a two second window to access the BIOS if I need to.

VariaVespasa_sl

shitlord
Ya, my SSD is only 250 gigs too. I only use it for my OS and World of Tanks (my most used program). Everything else is on other drives.

However, given that the SSD I'm using is the one in this torture test (http://us.hardware.info/reviews/4178...ate-1-april-10) maybe I should think about giving it more to do since I've only used about 3% of its demonstrated lifespan in 5 and a half months and I tend to upgrade every 4 or 5 years...

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Hodj you are in for a treat. The load times on skyrim are so fast yoy sometimes cant read the nonsense tips.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
This guy on reddit is claiming that CHA is a useful stat this time around.

This is just a quick, non-spoilerish post to toss out my personal thought on my biggest mistake playing FO4 so far. It's been plaguing me and I regret a lot because I'm an elitist asshole min/maxer and I'm just sharing this experience because it may help you in planning out an initial build better than me.

The Charisma tree is actually insane.

Initially, I didn't have much in Charisma because I just shrugged and thought the following -
"Skills for my dog? Meh, whatever, I'll probably use humans and not care much about the dog."
"Shops in my settlements? Meh, whatever, why do I need more shops? I can find stuff to buy at other places."
"Turn enemies passive and potentially protect me etc? Meh, whatever, if you're good you shouldn't need the help." (oh how little did I know... Survival mode is laughing at me atm)

A) The dog is ridiculously powerful. I have had plenty of moments of jaw-dropping and saying, holy shit my dog is actually a terminator sent back in time to fuck up post-apocalyptic bandits for me. And when you skill him up, he can get nutty. Watching Dogmeat single-handedly skullfuck an enemy while you just sit and watch smiling is one of the most rewarding elements of this game, IMHO

B) The shops aren't "just" shops, they generate revenue for you depending on how big your settlements are and once you're running a steady network of settlements and pulling survivors in constantly, you make bank on this. Think Assassin's Creed style passive income, with the initial set-up cost paying for itself ten times over eventually. This feels a lot like that, it may be one of the highest reward-per-point-spent skills in the game.

C) I cannot even begin to tell you how pointing a gun to shoot at something, only to have it suddenly stop rushing you, and then actually turn around and attack his friends instead can just instantly shift the course of a fight. It is a-b-s-u-r-d when it goes off at the perfect times.

Trust me, don't ignore the Charisma tree. Don't make my same mistake. Many levels of leveling it up later in the game in regret did not make me happy, every level up is a huge deal. I'll write up some other tips when I get a chance post-BlizzCon because I feel like there are a lot of things I'd do differently starting from scratch knowing what I know now, but for now this is my big one.

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
This guy on reddit is claiming that CHA is a useful stat this time around.
I just read that too lol. Makes me happy since I did want to be a smooth talker type. Having money early to buy good gear will make up for not having the SPECIAL stats to use it at full capacity. I always liked having companions too, especially Dogmeat. Sounds like the dog will be near invincible like it was in FO3, which is nice.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Still sounds like a dump stat to me.

Edit: The one thing I did get from his posts was that I'm probably going to need to divert some SPECIAL to ST so that I can make armor mods.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
First "review" is up.

edit: Nvmd looks like they took it down after they realized the review embargo wasn't up yet or something

I use the term loosely, I'm fairly certain the person reviewing it is either trolling for click bait, or functionally retarded.

Edit: The one thing I did get from his posts was that I'm probably going to need to divert some SPECIAL to ST so that I can make armor mods.
STR of 4 and lvl 39 is what you need to access the max rank of that perk. I'd just put STR at 1 or 2 and then use bobbleheads and SPECIAL books and shit to level it up. Watching the stream posted a few posts up, the YOUR SPECIAL! kids book that is on Shaun's bedstand at the start of the game allows you to pick any one stat to level up at the very start of the game right after you leave the vault, so I'm betting there are several of those books in the game, and if not, well, now you know you can get away with a 1 STR, taking a bobblehead, using that book, and then plugging 1 level worth of perk points out of the first 39 levels into STR to get access to the top level armor mods by the time you can unlock that ability.

Frankly in my opinion, the STR stat is THE dump stat this time around UNLESS you plan to build a melee centric character.

There is simply no reason to raise it past a 1 to start. Each level only lets you carry 10 more pounds of gear, Strong back takes a 6 str to get, I can't see any reason to level the stat up that high personally.

It just seems like the weakest tree all around.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
From the "20-30 hours in" thread on reddit.

[-]daymeeuhn 66 points 13 hours ago
Originally I wanted a Stealth Sniper build too but so far Stealth Sniper has sucked for me. A) Enemies see me ten times faster than I see them half the time. I'm about as sneaky as a twenty foot ogre even when I'm trying to be Batman. B) A lot of areas are indoors, in small corridors, with little to any room to try to get a sneaky sniper shot off. You're better off giving them the ol' sneaky blast to the face with a shotgun at close range. C) So many enemies spawn to scripted events, meaning they arent visible initially to sniper shot off, and then bumrush right after you. There was a moment when I had to deal with a group of 8 asshole ghouls rushing me to the face, and it was at that point I had a dramatic re-assessment of my gameplan and decided Stealth Sniper was now going to become Rambo Shotgun

Caliane

well you cant JUST be a sniper. fo3 did that too. you do need close quarters options for buildings, subways, etc. In that, the magnum or silenced pistol for upclose.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I think that's the route I'll take, along with Dogface Killa. I already planned to pick up dogmeat's perks, but it sounds like he's pretty nasty when upgraded.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Going to try to get the skills I go for in every RPG that has em.

- Lockingpick
- Science/hacking
- Dialog options
- Repair / crafting
- Surgery/health

All of those would be prioritized over any sort of combat skill. Combat is combat, can always find out a way to kill a thing or tweak the encounter after dying a few times. + crit or damage or combat abilities will hardly ever be required to activate content.

However, not being able to lockpick, science/hack/repair and poor dialog skills can outright keep you from content. Might also end up meeting NPCs that require your surgery skill.

Only way I will skip lockpicking is it works like Skyrim, where you can try locks even if you don't have the skill. Save/load can get you into master locks at level 1 skill. However, guessing Fallout 4 will do what previous games did, and not let you try if you don't have the skill. EDIT: Just checked. Confirmed that you can't activate locks without the skill points. So priority skill for me /End edit

Sneaky, slow moving, sniper/ranged with above abilities will be what I try to make.