Fallout 4

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Using keyboard hot keys it occasionally seems to bind up. I have felt like if you instead try to swap to something else than back to what you wanted works better than waiting.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I may have missed it if you mentioned it earlier, but what's your issue with weapon swapping? My only delay is the time it takes to navigate the pip boy or the shitty directional on my gamepad. Is it not a near instant swap for you?
It can take 5-15 seconds to swap guns sometimes. It seems as though the engine has unloaded the weapon textures and takes forever to get them back into VRAM, kind of like how it can take a long time for LOD textures to stream in on buildings. I can't do anything while I wait either, so it has caused quite a few deaths while trying to swap from sniper rifle to combat rifle or shotgun.

Not a hardware issue either, the game's installed on a 850 Evo SSD and I have a R9 290X 4GB GPU so there should be no problems at all with reading the textures or any reason for them to be getting swapped out. It was happening back when the only mod I had installed was the Killshot Perk Fix too, so it's not that either. Found some other people claiming the same issue, some with Nvidia cards so it's also not AMD related. No solution though, it just seems to happen over time along with (and possibly related to) savegame bloat that plagues every Gamebryo game.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
It doesn't take that long to swap weapons for me, but sometimes the weapon itself won't show in my hands for a bit. Like the textures for it just aren't there. Can still shoot and shit. When it happens I just swap to another gun then swap back, seems to fix it each time.

Its probably related to savegame bloat.

Edit:

I'm at some Gunner controlled building in the deep South, and I've been sniping away at this gunner with a Fatman trying to clear him out to make my approach easier.

I zoom in to snipe at him, and an irradiated deer spawns above his head, falls down on him, and he blows himself up with a fatman nuke.

Good times

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I'm on PC, with it installed on an SSD. Yet sometimes takes 30-50 seconds just to load when zoning.

Unless I alt tab during the load screen, then it always takes 3 seconds. ....I won't ask.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Yeah that's weird. My kids ps4 version can take upwards of a minute to load a zone, but I've never had a zone load take more than 10 or 15 seconds or so.

Sulrn

Deuces
Sounds like hardware problems to me.
frown.png

For comparison: Ran without any issues what-so-ever (aside from the rare weapon model/HUD disappearing occasionally) unmodded on:
Win10
3.4gHz i5
NVidia GTX760 (6g/s, 2gb ram)
16gb RAM
Was installed on a standard 2tb drive (although I'll try reinstalling on the SSD for the eventual 2nd run)

Finished with ~75 hours played, at least 15 seperate hard saves, and hundreds of quicksaves.
Zone loads took 0-10 seconds. Depending on how long the play session was.

Only technical issue I had was from my poorly ventilated system overheating (crash - first game to ever make my rig do that).

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Libertalia is awesome. The best location of its type in any game I've ever seen.
how did you get out? the door backwards locks. Quicktravel shouldn't work indoors.
I don't know. Everything was unlocked when I went back.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
For mods, I use:
WPOC6Xj.png

Red starred ones I think are must-haves, rest are just personal preference to eradicate white/brown/orange from the weapons and armor color palettes.

Edit: Oh, and scratch Optimized Weapon Textures completely. That was a failed experiment to see if lowering the VRAM usage of weapon textures would fix my "takes 5-15 seconds to change my fucking gun" issue. It did not.
Have you found a way to get your companions to stop kill stealing?

Izuldan_sl

shitlord
So I busted out a couple new mods last night. First one pushes my damage back up to 100% (it's 50% on survivalist), and I left enemy damage at 200%. Now it's become a "who can shoot first" or "can I kill this fast enough" game which is a shitload more fun than the bullet sponge game I was playing before. I still get shit on by plenty of things, and being on survivalist still motherfuckers continue to spawn with rocket launchers and mini nukes which obviously still one shot me.

Second mod increased the legendary spawn rate on survivalist by 2x. It feels pretty much the same as before so I might have to turn that one up after I play it for a few more hours.
That doesn't make sense. There's only two reasons to play on Survivalist, since there isn't an achievement for finishing the game on this mode.

1) Makes the game more difficult and challenging
2) Increases the number of Legendary mobs that spawn.

If the game is too hard that you need to up your damage amount, then it's not really Survivalist mode anyways......so why not just play a different difficulty level like Normal or Very Hard and use your mod to spawn more Legendary mobs? That way you get all the benefit without any of the frustration.

Caliane

Libertalia is awesome. The best location of its type in any game I've ever seen.

I don't know. Everything was unlocked when I went back.
hrm. yeah. I just did this yesterday myself. I have two saves.
0rV3fhi.jpg

one, the door is open still, after having gone through it, and about half way to Kellogg. (right at the cafe with the dead woman in the window). The second save, is RIGHT before facing kellogg. after the room with the camera, and his door is open, and hes talking to you in person. This save, this door is closed, and can't be interacted with, like the doors to the right in this pic, which you can open after killing kellogg. So, likely Kellogg opening the door to his chambers is supposed to shut this door in the screenshot.

Vorph

Have you found a way to get your companions to stop kill stealing?
No, when they changed the var from an int to a float they broke something with how it worked in Skyrim. You can set it to 0.0 but you still need to do at least 1 point of damage. At least that's how it seems to be working to me.

Gorehack

Lord Nagafen Raider
That doesn't make sense. There's only two reasons to play on Survivalist, since there isn't an achievement for finishing the game on this mode.

1) Makes the game more difficult and challenging
2) Increases the number of Legendary mobs that spawn.

If the game is too hard that you need to up your damage amount, then it's not really Survivalist mode anyways......so why not just play a different difficulty level like Normal or Very Hard and use your mod to spawn more Legendary mobs? That way you get all the benefit without any of the frustration.
The only difference between easy and survivalist is the damage you do to mobs, the damage they do to you, and the amount of legendaries that spawn. I've already played the game through Very Hard, it was not Very Hard.

Making enemies do more damage to you is challenging. Making you do HALF damage to enemies is not challenging, it's fucking retarded. I cleared out a basement full of ghouls, with 2 legendaries, with a freezing minigun...and it took 3,000 rounds of ammunition and probably 13 quickloads throughout the fight to finish it. That is not fun. If I can tweak the game so those 13 quickloads get cut to 5 or 6, and the amount of ammo gets cut in half...that's a whole hell of a lot more fun. I ran into a deathclaw earlier after I had found a T-51 set and it still shredded me like I was a paper bag. I quickloaded, changed tactics, and barely killed it before it got me in the 1-shot animation. So the challenge is still there. Mobs still wreck your ass. You can still take a rocket from 400yds from a super mutant and get your legs blown off super easy, it just doesn't take WoW raid boss time to fucking kill a legendary creature.

Does the crafting mod include melee weapons? If so that's the first check off my list of what to wait for before run #2.
Weapons only for this one. They're gated behind gun nut, science, etc so it's not like you can just shit out Gauss Rifles. They're 50 circuitry, 40 copper, 40 crystal, 45 fiber optics, 40 glass, 40 lead, 50 screws...and you need science 2.

Gorehack

Lord Nagafen Raider
I actually just turned it down to 75% player damage from 100%. Feels a lot better. 50% too annoying, 100% to easy.

Vorph

Why not just use rifles? I mean, you're intentionally gimping yourself by using not-a-rifle and then modding the game to make them do damage like rifles do... just seems a bit convoluted.

Sulrn

Deuces
I never understood the idea with Survivalist or Insanity modes that focus on dmg/hp changes to do the bulk of the work - that's just lazy design. Neither make the game more difficult, only more tedious. Real difficulty modes focus on ammo spawns, heal sources, amount and variety of enemies/abilities, while introducing new risks/rewards into the game.

Should have introduced new enemy types/mutations, perks, and game play elements in survival mode imho. In the theme of FO3 + mods, they should have added hunger, exposure, and more involved weather effects (and given settlements more depth in the process by negating these).

Vorph

Yeah, I definitely agree. There's nothing lazier than half damage/double damage 'difficulty' settings. More games need to handle difficulty like Divinity: OS EE.

That said, the modified damage part of Survival barely feels any harder than what I would expect normal difficulty in a game to be like, and it's only the slowed down HP regen that occasionally adds a bit of challenge. Melee is a bit rough now and then too, particularly in fights where you can't hide to get the Ninja bonus.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
So
You can blast "The Father" dead in his grill as soon as you meet him. I made a save right there, I plan to see how that pans out at some point. Sounds fun as shit.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Upgrade the explosive 308 to .50 and it can bug out. Will not fire .50 will still use .308.

Unequip and equip again fixes.

Sulrn

Deuces
So
You can blast "The Father" dead in his grill as soon as you meet him. I made a save right there, I plan to see how that pans out at some point. Sounds fun as shit.
I had to do exactly that to fix quest progression so I could end the game with Minutemen. It effects nothing and the only reference to it is as you're leaving. All other quests proceed as normal as if it never happened.

NPCs care more about the fact you went in and came out than the fact you do that.

So a heads up about factions
Who you choose to initially infiltrate the Institute with doesn't really matter, but it can potentially disturb quest interactions for completion if you have any queued prior to going in. Railroad locked me out from turning in several quests because D refused to accept anything until I agreed to support the Railroad's method of taking down the Institute and the BoS quest givers refused to interact with me until I let Elder berate me and promised to give him Sturges' holotape.

Also, it may have bugged for me but if you don't answer "Father" about joining, it auto forces you to join and won't autofail you on Virgil's quest until you try and give him his cure. This also disables quest progression only for Minutemen. So if you want to end the game with their raid you have to go back to the institute and massacre the entire compound before you get banished - (is there an easier way to do this?) in order to trigger the "Castle" siege.

So do whatever you want with all the factions, but if you progress to finally going in make sure you have in mind who you want to end with to avoid the headache I did trying to figure out why the minutemen didn't have any quests after giving Sturges the tape.
Ended the game at lvl 56. Gameplay at the end was pretty silly considering what I had to do to even trigger the desired pathway for it.