Fallout 76

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't know why inventory limits are a thing. It really detracts from the fun when you have to leave a dungeon half way through to go find a workbench and stash.
The risk of losing all of your stuff if you die should be the limit to carrying everything.

Except the stash has a weight limit too which is just stupid. I have to think that it must be a technical limitation and not a gameplay decision.

It's purely technical not actual game design. The database used to track all items is severely limited. My suspicion is because it was used for the single player games which only had to track 1 player and a world 25% of the size. I also am starting to think this is why there are no NPCs as well. I'm really not sure why they chose the creation engine tools for a game that had heavy networking and large player amounts. I don't know that I'm jaded enough to say this was all full of malice from BGS's part, but I'm not sure gross lack of foresight is a whole lot better.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It's because they're keeping track of every single container in the entire world all the time. My bet is they did it in a terribly optimized way

• 1Like

Cybsled

Containers and also inventory. I think one easy fix is to have the game flag which holotapes and notes are essential (the already does with a diamond, but something after the quest item no longer serves a purpose would help), making it easier for you to figure out what you can toss. Just like FO4, my inventory has like 100+ holotapes and random notes. Multiply that by everyone and you have thousands of extraneous items that are being tracked, yet serve no valid purpose. Because they weigh nothing, people aren't motivated to toss them away.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Hadn't played in a few days. Went into the game, started walking towards a quest goal. All of a sudden 10 lvl 50 behemoths were just walking up the road towards me.

I didn't even bother to run. I just let them kill me and then turned the game off after I respawned.

That was the best memory I think I can have of this game. There's no point in even bothering any more.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
Im having fun with it, as coop. I dont know why these people dont expect bugs, issues and so on,.

Apparently Im a corporate shill.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Containers and also inventory. I think one easy fix is to have the game flag which holotapes and notes are essential (the already does with a diamond, but something after the quest item no longer serves a purpose would help), making it easier for you to figure out what you can toss. Just like FO4, my inventory has like 100+ holotapes and random notes. Multiply that by everyone and you have thousands of extraneous items that are being tracked, yet serve no valid purpose. Because they weigh nothing, people aren't motivated to toss them away.
It kind of reeks of inexperience with online gaming. They should've consulted with industry veterans on optimization

• 1Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Apparently Im a corporate shill.

like_a_boss.gif

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
It kind of reeks of inexperience with online gaming. They should've consulted with industry veterans on optimization

This is exactly the kind of development mistakes you would expect for first time MMOs in the earlu 2000s. MMOs are a massive genre and they should have thought about this kind of thing, or hired industry vets to assist development.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This is exactly the kind of development mistakes you would expect for first time MMOs in the earlu 2000s. MMOs are a massive genre and they should have thought about this kind of thing, or hired industry vets to assist development.

but dude come on.... it's Bethesda they always have bugs. You need to stop being a "hater."

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>

Haha. Over half their development team in Austin were all mmorpg vets. What does that speak for the state of this game. 😜 Bethesda just didn’t give them any time to do anything. Not like it would have mattered. Only relevant expertise they have is now to create an mmorpg in hero engine with swtor and Matt firors Teso. Since battlecry was made on this steaming pile of garbage engine, they weren’t spending any more money to make a decent game. At all. Which should lead anyone to believe this was a sunk cost and they were doing anything to recoup costs, damned the consequences. And gamers are the ones that suffer.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It's just my guess but I'm willing to bet they've been working on fixing it but couldn't meet it for release. They absolutely.knew about storage issues when they sent it out but hopes people wouldn't mind

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Watching Cohh shit all over FO76 this morning. Good times. Sooo many crashes/bugs in this stream.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I sincerely fucking hope this test bed bullshit pays off, because if I catch even a whiff of this nonsense on their next main series big title, it's going to be time to nope the fuck out on Bethesda. Since Morrowind, Beth has been hands down, my favorite studio with everything tallied, I really do not want to watch them fail. No king rules forever, but I'm seriously tired of watching this industry burn itself to the ground.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Caliane

I sincerely fucking hope this test bed bullshit pays off, because if I catch even a whiff of this nonsense on their next main series big title, it's going to be time to nope the fuck out on Bethesda. Since Morrowind, Beth has been hands down, my favorite studio with everything tallied, I really do not want to watch them fail. No king rules forever, but I'm seriously tired of watching this industry burn itself to the ground.
They'll probably learn the wrong lesson, and kill the sandbox, giving us a shitty on rails story driven rpg.

Cybsled

Siractionslacks streamed this today. Was pretty funny, he was roleplaying as Colonel Sanders.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hah, take a couple days away, come back and I see the fragile flowers are still crying on the band wagon.

Carry on.

• 4Salty
  • 2Cringe
  • 2EyeRoll
Reactions: 10 users