Fallout 76

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
I really wanted to give this game a chance.. but it's honestly just so empty that I don't care anymore. I stopped playing about a month ago.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
1DD7A7E0-5107-46F1-8A6F-8CFA38BAF0A5.jpeg

Some trans looking He-Man said:
Fallout 76 received some negative reviews

Last edited:
  • 11Worf
Reactions: 10 users

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
You thought Fallout 76 wasn't going FTP?

400k boxes is a commercial failure. That number needs to be around 1.2m for a remotely successful game.

The piece of shit IP Might and Magic remakes did over 1 million buys under Ubisoft leadership with no promotion or announcement. 400k for a AAA studio is where you get the 82% off number from. PC sales might be as low as 50k boxes.

Curt's game Kingdoms of Amalur did around 330k buys on launch week and final buys were at 1.22m buys. total.

View attachment 187504

Its over for Bethesda. They are very deep underwater. Vanguard Saga of heroes 2.0

This is where I diverge from a lot of you around here. Was this game a shit show? Absolutely. Was their complete bungling of anything remotely PR related a shit show as well? Abso-fucking-lutely. However at the end of the day both Skyrim and Fallout 4 sold upwards to 20 million copies each. The "real" Fallout: New Vegas didn't come close to those numbers which I think is a big reason why Obsidian wasn't invited back. While they may seem watered down to the hardcore CRPG fans, at the end of the day the mainstream people actually like the more streamlined versions these latest games evolved to.

However, another Obsidian side project would have been a much safer bet than this shit. The primary reason 76 was a failure was simply because they tried to make it a mini-MMO/survival game with PVP elements. Had this just been a standard Bethesda offline single player RPG with the option to invite friends in for online coop? I think it would have been a different story as far as sales go.

However with all this said, I'm sure this game bombing didn't tickle for Bethesda, it also isn't going to put them under. I also fully believe this was something slapped together last second as a stop gap because Star Field is taking them way longer than suspected. And if any of the 4 chan rumors are to be believed, it very would could be a major blow (they can't even get the shit engine to work for things they want in the game), but then again who knows? There is no way too know until we actually see information on the game first. But I'm realistic enough to at least consider the worst to be an actual possiblity.

• 1Barf

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
This is where I diverge from a lot of you around here. Was this game a shit show? Absolutely. Was their complete bungling of anything remotely PR related a shit show as well? Abso-fucking-lutely. However at the end of the day both Skyrim and Fallout 4 sold upwards to 20 million copies each. The "real" Fallout: New Vegas didn't come close to those numbers which I think is a big reason why Obsidian wasn't invited back. While they may seem watered down to the hardcore CRPG fans, at the end of the day the mainstream people actually like the more streamlined versions these latest games evolved to.

It will never be admitted to, but I am pretty firmly in the camp that Obsidian never got a chance to do another Fallout game because they made a better Fallout game than Bethesda ever could and somebody got butthurt about it.

• 4Solidarity
  • 4Like
Reactions: 7 users

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
It will never be admitted to, but I am pretty firmly in the camp that Obsidian never got a chance to do another Fallout game because they made a better Fallout game than Bethesda ever could and somebody got butthurt about it.

Totally a possiblity and it'd be dumb if it's true. I think a large portion of the bile aimed at Bethesda is rooted in the old school fans of Fallout feeling jilted from the change in focus. I really think having Obsidian make a spin off, using the same engine, still taking place on the west coast after each numbered entry would be great. It really worked for Fallout 3 to Fallout 4, and after a while the die hard original Fallout fans would know to skip the numbered ones and wait for Obsidian's spin off. And it'd be basically very low cost to Bethesda since they are in essence using the mod tools to make the spinoff game.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I thought it was well documented that just missing their Metacritic "bonus" is likely what didn't bring them back. As in, perhaps Obsidian made the decision here, not Bethesda.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

iannis

Musty Nester
I've read that Avallone considered the project to be finished anyway after lonesome road. Just nothing more to say about that. That might have had something to do with it, if one of the creators was getting tired of it.

Legion didn't come together like he'd wanted it to. I think. I forget exactly. Something about they had to make it more video gamey where he wanted it to be less of a goodguy/badguy situation. You can see that in some of the writing, little hints that maybe NCR was more of a problem than Ceasar.

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
I thought it was well documented that just missing their Metacritic "bonus" is likely what didn't bring them back. As in, perhaps Obsidian made the decision here, not Bethesda.

Now that you mention it, Obsidian wanted to make another game, but they probably wised up and wanted a contract that avoided things like metacritic rating incentives, and someone at Bethdesda said no.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I've read that Avallone considered the project to be finished anyway after lonesome road. Just nothing more to say about that. That might have had something to do with it, if one of the creators was getting tired of it.

Legion didn't come together like he'd wanted it to. I think. I forget exactly. Something about they had to make it more video gamey where he wanted it to be less of a goodguy/badguy situation. You can see that in some of the writing, little hints that maybe NCR was more of a problem than Ceasar.

lol the NCR is not more of a problem than Caesar's Legion. They are, however, very far from perfect and this was spelled out plainly in the pro-NCR ending where there is tons of chaos in their governance of the Vegas region after the Hoover showdown.

• 1Solidarity

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
So I talked with a friend of mine who use to be a glassblower(he ended up retiring years ago, carpal tunnel bad)..

As he said, any competent glass blower can make the bottle, but the problem is "black" glass is kind of a bitch too work with(something about the dye they use for black), but he said if they would have made a glass mold it would have probably been cheaper, but the mold won't last nearly as long as what they use for PVC Injection..

wat

Golden Knight of the Realm

800 to 900k concurrent users is crazy good numbers, where is he pulling these numbers from? and isn't Bethesda privately owned? I get that Fallout 76 aint great and you can get 300k youtube views for talking shit about it but is he just making shit up?

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
  • 2RAGE
  • 2WTF
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 4 users

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
He's getting views for making shit up so yeah.. I mean I only listened to the very beginning of the video but it sounded like his headline "bethesda to rush out tes6" is based on a 3rd party analysts report suggesting they might do that.. so basically fake news.

• 1Like

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Holy shit, never thought I'd see "The quartering" videos posted here. The dude is full blown pants on head retarded, dude makes shit up left and right.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
This is pretty fucking funny

That's pretty damn sadistic lol. No really... that's a lot of thought going into something like that.

With that said, due to fire sales I picked this up on the cheap since the son wanted it for Christmas as all of his online friends had it. I don't hate it. I think many of the bugs are absolutely compounded by the shit servers as most of the stuff I saw over the two days I played really seemed to be latency issues more than actual glitches. I'm not a fan of the survival mechanics just because A: stuff is too time consuming to get like water and food. And now EVERYTHING gives you rad poisoning and Radaway is kind of hard to get (sort of, ghouls do seem to drop it pretty regularly). Outside of unlocking perk cards and special points, I'm not sure leveling really means anything. Me and my nephew were level 7 and both took down a level 20 player with ease. This game really does deserve the shit thrown its way, do not read this as a defense. But at 30 bucks spent, I don't feel like my money is completely wasted, as I had a good time playing with my son and letting him get us into oh shit moments left and right, as well as my nephew. I spent way more for just a couple hours of entertainment, taking my family to the movies.

• 1Like