Fallout

Cybsled

Regarding Wombat's post

1) We didn't get to view any "common man" situations by the time the bombs drop. They're at a wealthy birthday party in the 1st episode and even in the other pre-war flashbacks, it is pretty much just Hollywood and the homes of wealthy people. Hardly representative of the state of the country as a whole.

2) The games established long ago that Enclave and Vault Tec's original plan was to live off planet and return to Earth after it had destroyed itself (the Vaults were originally a concept for habitats offworld). That doesn't pan out (maybe because of the Zetans - Fallout 76 has an abandoned Enclave research base and one of the terminal entries vaguely references Zetans with a directive to terminate the captive ones immediately, which suggests they know what the Zetans are). Given that Enclave and Vault Tec seemed to have forewarning on the great war, it isn't unreasonable they initiated a first strike on China or elsewhere to guarantee a nuclear exchange.

3) As for the Shady Sands timeline, the show takes place 19 years after 2277 (the date on the chalkboard, which then has an arrow after it and an undated mushroom cloud). Not sure how old Maximus is supposed to be during the show, but given the age he appears to be in the flashback, it's reasonable to assume he would be in his mid to late 20s at bare minimum if 2277 was the date of the explosion. Which seems a little old to be an aspirant for someone who was taken under their wing as a child. Therefore, it seems reasonable that the explosion wasn't in 2277, but years later, if their intent is for Maximus to be younger during the time of the show

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Lucy talks about thinking the sun in the vault was real until she was 6 cause she could feel its warmth, assuming this is when Hank gets her back and blows up Shady Sands that makes her 25. Figure Maximus is within 1-2 years of her age.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I don't think there's any realistic way to logically reconcile the date of 2077 with the aesthetic of the Fallout world. It's just something you have to accept so I don't think the show was wrong to have the old world portrayed the way it was when that's essentially how all the games have done it.

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
On episode 6 now and finally a show that is similar to the game it adapted. Liking all the gore and funny moments so far.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
The chalkboard has Shady Sands 'falling' in 2277 (presumably when it loses political power, with the NCR Capital moving elsewhere), with the arrow indicating the nuke is chronologically after that date. But if there's a functioning Shady Sands in 2281 (and nothing in New Vegas suggests it is not a functioning city), the show taking place in 2296 while Maximus witnessed the nuke as a kid, are really hard to square with the existing timeline.

Especially since the meta-reasons for Shady Sands getting nuked are to, what, get NCR forces out of the area for the plot to happen and give Maximus a reason to dislike Vaults in Season 2 (while coincidentally removing non-Bethesda material from the canon)?

It is just the first unnecessarily clunky plotting that's just a preview for the Vault Tec stuff later.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

DickTrickle

I didn't see vault-tec proposing starting the war as a way of getting rich but of creating a world which they (and other elites) alone mold.

Caliane

The chalkboard has Shady Sands 'falling' in 2277 (presumably when it loses political power, with the NCR Capital moving elsewhere), with the arrow indicating the nuke is chronologically after that date. But if there's a functioning Shady Sands in 2281 (and nothing in New Vegas suggests it is not a functioning city), the show taking place in 2296 while Maximus witnessed the nuke as a kid, are really hard to square with the existing timeline.

Especially since the meta-reasons for Shady Sands getting nuked are to, what, get NCR forces out of the area for the plot to happen and give Maximus a reason to dislike Vaults in Season 2 (while coincidentally removing non-Bethesda material from the canon)?

It is just the first unnecessarily clunky plotting that's just a preview for the Vault Tec stuff later.
yeah, for the people insisting shady sands was nuked "After" "the fall of shady sands" really beggers the question. wtf was the fall of shady sands then, that its dated to a single date, and why the fuck was it nuked AFTER it fell? like, I see people comparing to the fall of the roman empire. ok. what date did the roman empire fall? the exact year. tell me.

now, sure, there are plenty of ways we could retroactively make up a justification. maybe the fall of shady sands was actually some ghoul rampage, or new fev virus outbreak, or a krait dragon, or some shit. and then the nuking of shady sands was to kill that new threat. but if that was the case, that shit would need to have been mentioned or foreshadowed.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
I didn't see vault-tec proposing starting the war as a way of getting rich but of creating a world which they (and other elites) alone mold.
I should probably rewatch the final episode, but...
the impression I got was Barb was instructed by her boss(es) in the shadows to sell the rest of the execs on _any_ story that would get them to buy in. I don't think we have any confidence on what Vault Tec / The Enclave / the US Government's actual plans are - it could still be space exploration (without the peasants wasting the last of the resources), it could be the government admitting their situation post-War was unfixable, (or knowing modern politics) it could be their last ditch effort to stop the world from swapping to the only valid system, Communism.

The actual execution in the show was still laughable, in my opinion.

Caliane

epi 6 running commentary.

I like posting like this on shows dropped all at once. lets you treat it like a weekly. shared speculation episode to episode. comment on each. so, others can also look one at a time, instead of get full season spoilers.

maximus actor is 35. it really is odd, sometimes he sounds very young.
man, having to listen to your friends voice out of a robot for centuries would be weird, and dark.
huh, I thought they were implying Cooper was a secret commie, with the first couple mentions hollywood commies losing jobs. but he seems to agree with his friend here.
"what to have sex?"/"what use my cock?" what the fuck is this dialogue?
ok, how did they leave that room and not see the "test subjects". and if they are, why let them into the general public?
why is max so not caring about mutants? a Bos should want to purge them.. what is this character? I mean, they are establishing him as not very smart. but, are they trying to portray him as retarded? like intentionally? I am really not understanding what this characters backstory is. remember when he said he thought vaults were myths or full of monsters? well, heres monsters. no comment at all?

ok, so the commie stuff starts here.. I'll reserve my judgement on the total lack of pushback on this commie's argument. certainly, worrisome, considering they are making vault-tec umbrellacorp.

black women is the one who decided, "no dogs" in the vault, isn't she? what did bethesda mean by this?

"these people are hiding something from us". Im not sure this makes sense for lucy to be so paranoid like this. like, yes there are things that should have set off alarms, but didnt. the only thing that has is Muldaver portrait. but, those are surface dwellers. and the doctor even said "they are weird" himself.

...this is definitely someones fetish.

Last edited:

DickTrickle

I like posting like this, on shows dropped all at once. lets you treat it like a weekly. shared speculation episode to episode. comment on each. so, others can also look one at a time, instead of get full season spoilers.

man, having to listen to your friends voice out of a robot for centuries would be weird, and dark.
huh, I thought they were implying Cooper was a secret commie, with the first couple mentions hollywood commies losing jobs. but he seems to agree with his friend here.
ok, how did they leave that room and not see the "test subjects". and if they are, why let them into the general public?
why is max so not caring about mutants? a Bos should want to purge them.. what is this character? I mean, they are establishing him as not very smart. but, are they trying to portray him as retarded? like intentionally? I am really not understanding what this characters backstory is. remember when he said he thought vaults were myths or full of monsters? well, heres monsters. no comment at all?
Yeah, I figured he was mid 20s. He definitely comes off as a lot younger than 35 in the show.

Cybsled

I like posting like this on shows dropped all at once. lets you treat it like a weekly. shared speculation episode to episode. comment on each. so, others can also look one at a time, instead of get full season spoilers.

ok, so the commie stuff starts here.. I'll reserve my judgement on the total lack of pushback on this commie's argument. certainly, worrisome, considering they are making vault-tec umbrellacorp.

black women is the one who decided, "no dogs" in the vault, isn't she? what did bethesda mean by this?

The current residents of Vault 4 are the decedents of the test subjects of the original Vault dwellers there, plus people they bring in from the surface. That sign is presumably just an old sign. The holotape of the woman giving birth to fish things and then the fish things eating her like piranhas was old footage from the original vault tec experiment there where they were trying to make human/mutant animal hybrids to see if they could make humans with attributes that would allow them to thrive on the surface. Same with the pregnant women in the cryotubes who are original test subjects it seems - presumably they are keeping them in cyro because it they get taken out of cryo, they'll die after giving birth to the genetic experiments. Lucy THINKS the curent vault dwellers are the ones doing that, but then you discover the truth that the various hybridized creatures basically overthrew the Vault Tec scientists there a long time ago (since the scientists in the holotape are the same scientists from the commercial in the flashback, that presumably means the overthrow happened not too long after the bombs dropped and we are seeing approximately 200 years later where the vault dwellers look mostly human but are clearly mutants).

Cooper also wasn't a 'commie' originally, but I am going to presume that in the aftermath of his overhearing the conversation, he will probably get involved more with those people and his wife will divorce him. At the birthday party, he gets called a pinko behind his back and they also mention alimony, so it is safe to say he gets blacklisted from Hollywood between what we see in episode 8 and what we see in episode 1.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Has Regime Regime posted a review yet?

I’ve been a fan of Fallout since the original and obsessed with post apocalyptic stories since seeing Road Warrior at the drive-in as a child. So yes, I plan on watching this despite all the standard red flags, but curious to hear what another Fallout nerd has to say about this.
I liked it as a homage to the games. It did a great job with the deaths (bloody mess perk) lots of hidden gems for diehards as myself.

and just like a Bethesda game the main story was just alright.
I wasn’t a fan of the NCR Capitol being nuked but if somehow Mr House is running the show or it’s the courier with the Wild Ace faction that would be great.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Obviously Cooper gets found out and Blacklisted / canceled & divorced between the finale and the opening scene (I'll leave whether that's the show saying 'Blacklisting is un-American' or 'Blacklisting Communists specifically is bad' as an exercise for the reader), but it is another case where the casting on the kids screws things up - by having Cooper's kid be the same actor for both 2077 and whenever Barb's meeting is set, it forces the timeline on that meeting and the bombs to be condensed into a year or two tops, meaning
all of the participants' Vault experiments, super-mutants, etc.
are supposedly conceived and deployed in that tiny window.

It's just another unforced error their extremely clunky script didn't need to create.

Caliane

"I like money", capitalism is bad, versus war effort. this is something that is missing so far. coppers wife does sound desperate. so there's that. but, like wombat mentioned. prewar America is looking too good. theres a few problems with this. fear of nuclear holocaust is so rampant that everyone buys into vaults, and scientists start doing insane experiments, such as robobrains, FEV, etc. we aren't REALLY seeing that. the suburb facade should be there.. but there should also be food lines, hundreds of men/boys missing limbs, and otherwise very wounded. gangs, lawlessness, and crime being mentioned as rampant outside of the rich suburbs.
Again, they aren't umbrella corp doing evil for sake of evil and "i like money". they are desperate, and they are doing it to fight the reds. and again, science through the lens of 50's sci fi.. radioactive spiders give you super powers. atomic bombs turn you into the hulk. atomic radiation is safe and gives nutrients to cola. etc.
This anti-capitalist direction feels like its really missing the mark.

starting epi 7

running commentary.

oh, look the bullet farmer from Fury road.

"she needs to see the holotape" another example of people not talking, when any sane person would say, "no we aren"t. that happened a long time ago, you need to see this holotape"

Grouper killing the scientists. did these scientists create the groupers before the bombs dropped? when did this happen?

lucy getting kicked out. they should have had lucy turn and apologize to that guy she threw the acid into his face.

BoS would totally steal the fusion core, and purge the mutants.

Thadd healing. probably ghoulification, not fev. "rad regen" "ghoulish" radiation gives you hp regen. including crippled limbs.

oh, now they remember the brotherhood would purge the mutant.

presumably, whoever opened the door to 31 has cameras, so knows who is coming right? I am guessing robot.

prop and set design is 10/10. show needs to be commended for that. like, compare to the wheel of time, and how no ones clothing looks right. clothing here looks clean when it should be clean, weathered when it should be weathered, etc. props are spot on. pretty sure this red rocket in epi7 is a direct 1to1 for fallout 4's, down to traffic cones.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Cybsled

The scientists presumably used post-war irradiated animals for the experiments. Fallout 76 had a similar concept for one of the vaults and pre-war prototype FEV experiments conducted by WestTek (before super mutants)

velk

Trakanon Raider
Keep in mind, this is almost directly after someone basically says "If you're not a Communist, you're a lunatic." You know, in the show produced and aired by one of the largest companies in the world, involving an IP now held by the largest company in the world?

The rest of your complaints seem fair - this one though, I think you are misunderstanding. The exchange is essentially
'You, the uber-wealthy scientist/entrepreneur , are not a very good communist'
'I'm not a communist, that's just what the crazy people call anyone who doesn't agree with them'.

Which is pretty on-brand for the red scare.

• 1Like