Fancy cars

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
What are your thoughts on buying older Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, etc... vs. newer, cheaper cars? For instance, I was readingthis articleabout a 2006 Mercedes S-Class that was on eBay for the same price as a new Honda Civic at $24K. This sounds tempting because i'm a bit of a snob, but is the maintenance and insurance on these cars really that much different? Is it a "only buy it if you can afford to fix it" situation? Would you still drive a civic or similar if you could afford a new Mercedes?

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Buying used luxury cars is quite possibly the worst way to spend money when buying a car.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
If you cannot afford one new you cannot afford one used. Multiply that times two for any of the high end with exotic V10/12 engines.

Plus, to be honest, a higher end 2015 accord will be more feature rich than a nine year old luxury car.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
If you cannot afford one new you cannot afford one used. Multiply that times two for any of the high end with exotic V10/12 engines.

Plus, to be honest, a higher end 2015 accord will be more feature rich than a nine year old luxury car.
This is what I've never understood. Why buy an old, beat up, luxury car, that will most likely have a lot of miles on it and need a bit of (usually expensive) servicing and maintenance, and has ~10 year old tech in it, when for the same amount of money you can either buy a brand new smaller car with all the latest gadgets and gizmos, can have up to a 3-5 year warranty on certain parts and have fantastic milage, or buy a larger 2-3 year old car with much of the same perks? I see these folks driving around in beat up old 15 year old Mercs and such that both cost a lot to buy and to run and I just scratch my head.

I bought a brand new Huyndai i30 about 5 years ago, while practically the same day a friend of a friend bought an old Lexus for slightly less money. Mine costs far less to drive per km and to insure, has had zero need for maintenance until this spring when I changed the tires (except for oil, bulbs and windscreen wipes), while his has been in the shop for expensive break repairs and other things associated with older cars.

Now, don't get me wrong, this triad of mine only applies tooldluxury cars. If I had the dosh I'd prolly fork over for a new Audi or Lexus, but that ain't happening until I win the lottery or something. In the meantime I'm going to stick to buying a new car and driving it for 10-15 years. Though I could get slightly more bang for my buck for buying a 2-3 year old car and changing every 5-8.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Depends entirely on the car and how keen you are on tinkering with them imo.
My first car was a 1997 s320 with 117k miles. Bought in 2004 for 12k..it's still going and has about 270k on it..was a great car except for the evaporator core failing.

Overall if you look at a car as something of a hobby you want to get involved in and get to know it works out for that. It is not the most financially savvy option ofc but neither is buying new. Looking at new cars is depressing for me because when you start picking out options you want you add 12k to the price of a 20k car. Those options are typically already on the 10 year old luxury car excluding electronics.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
What are your thoughts on buying older Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, etc... vs. newer, cheaper cars? For instance, I was readingthis articleabout a 2006 Mercedes S-Class that was on eBay for the same price as a new Honda Civic at $24K. This sounds tempting because i'm a bit of a snob, but is the maintenance and insurance on these cars really that much different? Is it a "only buy it if you can afford to fix it" situation? Would you still drive a civic or similar if you could afford a new Mercedes?
Buy a two- or three-year-old Civic and then send me the rest of the money.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Depends entirely on the car and how keen you are on tinkering with them imo.
My first car was a 1997 s320 with 117k miles. Bought in 2004 for 12k..it's still going and has about 270k on it..was a great car except for the evaporator core failing.

Overall if you look at a car as something of a hobby you want to get involved in and get to know it works out for that. It is not the most financially savvy option ofc but neither is buying new. Looking at new cars is depressing for me because when you start picking out options you want you add 12k to the price of a 20k car. Those options are typically already on the 10 year old luxury car excluding electronics.
Yea, sorry to say but just because you get lucky doesn't mean it's a good idea. Also 97 cars were a ton less complicated and that's pre turbo everything so one lost turbo totals your car.

How much is replacing one of those cool luxury features like one mist/wiper headlight assembly on a high end MB model, 1k+?

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Don't fucking do it bro. Out of warranty luxury cars cost a literal fortune to repair, even for minor things. There's pretty much nothing you can fix on those cars out of warranty for less than 1K, and that's IF you can even get parts. What's the point anyways? If you're a "snob" then you should realize that other snobs don't see you driving a cool luxury car, they see you driving an old beater of a luxury car. People who can realistically afford these cars trade them in every 4-5 years anyways.. I've owned multiple BMW's and the day the warranty is over I drop the keys off at the dealership like I was holding cancer in my hands or something. No way am I going to end up like the poor fools lined up at the service counter being handed 5K bills for minor repairs, or 10K for a turbo repair..

Legaeveth

Silver Knight of the Realm
I had an S-65 a few years ago and they are wonderful cars if you can afford them. However once the warranty wears off the price on the car plummets due to the high cost of repairing the vehicle. For instance my hydraulic system went and once it goes your car can't be driven due to the weight and the lean on the car. Anyhow it cost me around 4k to repair the hydraulic system before it was all said and done. Don't do it unless you can afford the vehicle new like others have stated.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
eh my buddy runs a small independent shop specializing in Porsche, BMW, mercedes an stuff. Does repairs for super duper cheap and it works for me. 2010 335 that i let go out of warranty, got several sensors and some small maintenance for 193.

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
Who the fuck takes out of warranty cars to the dealer?
For real.

Don't do it like others have said. I did that with an audi and jag when I was younger. Got lucky on the jag but the audi nickel and dimed me to death. If you can't afford it new at $600+ a month then you won't be able to afford it used at $250+ a month and the $1000 every other month in repairs.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Lazy wealthy people and rich wives that don't know any better or couldn't care less. I see many out of warranty fools at the dealership getting raped.
My point was, don't go to the intentionally-overpriced dealer to get your out of warranty car maintained. Lots of indy shops that do great work and don't cost abnormally much.

Faris

Golden Squire
Friends of mine, brother and I drive old Mercedes for ages now and I can't say i found it a bad choice. I started with an E-220 switched over to an SL-280 recently. Friends also use C and E mostly. That being said, we are from Germany and both knowhow and parts for these cars are pretty easy to come by. All C and E that we drove were basically cheap as fuck. Buying prices between 3k and 5k with initial repairs that were between 0,5k and 1,5k (but most times we calculated them in when we bought the car). All cars were between 10 and 20 years old. Highest km count is my brothers with roundabout 350k now, still runs like a charm with little repairs. (If you have to repair it can get expensive for factory new parts at least)

That being said, if you want an old reliable car, I don't think these are the worst chances to take and you get a rather high amount of luxury for relatively little cash.

Now if you are looking to buy a newer high class car, like a 6 year old mercedes or so, then stay the fuck away.
Basically all highclass car vendors in Germany switched their building concepts about 12-15 years ago more toward that of all other car vendors. Beforehand they build cars that lasted basically forever even with mediocre care. Now they build shit that works perfectly until it runs out of the 3-4 year company leasing contracts and then start falling apart. In addition in our old cars there is little shit to get broke and often it is not that detrimental, because it only effects that single system.
In my fathers car (also a mercedes, but factory new) anytime anything breaks, for example the sound amplifier you have a 50% chance that 20 other things stop working too, because the signalbus or the computer disables it due to the error, sometimes the whole car as well.

Silence_sl

shitlord
You'll look like you are too poor to drive a new one, unless you get a classic. Maintenance on Euro cars will make your bank account shit itself.