Festival Thread. Anything regarding festivals past and future. Going to Glasto 14!

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Have wanted to go for ages. But after getting tix last year work came at last minute. Shame it looked amazing, with Portishead, Smashing pumpkins, XX, FOAL, so many acts I want to see...

Disappointed with the leaked or confirmed acts so far. Metallica, along with metal and it's fans have no place in a Glastonbury lineup! Ditto Outkast and hip-hop despite me actually like some of their stuff. Prince is rumored also and is sort of borderline. Arcade Fire seems weird, the super trendy indie act I saw in a club with a few hundred people a decade ago is now headlining the biggest show in the world. Lily Allen is cool however, hopeful its more "smile" era funny, clever, ska infused Lily and less the "Edm-popstar" Lily

Plenty of festivals and big venues to see those artists and types of music already. Why fuck with the amazing culture/sound of Glastonbury by "diversifying"? Will we have Ramnstein and 50 cent coming also? Fuck that. I would prefer if Rick Astley played for Metallica and rick-rolled the metal dudes.

Never been to a big festival before. Very excited and hoping to get some info, stories and tip from whoever has experience with them.

Is it worth the risk to bring in some legally questionable substances? Better off buying them at site? What else should I invest in before going? high-end tent perhaps?

Chris

Potato del Grande
Water/Mudproof Boots/Tent? There are MAJOR (army sent in) floods in the surrounding area at the moment.

Make sure that you drink some Scrumpy, it's the local drink which sometimes tastes like piss and comes in the kind of industrial plastic bottles you put gasoline in. Think of it as "Super Cider". I think they have Monks there who make Mead too, but I was very young when I went there. Also Witches.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Is it worth the risk to bring in some legally questionable substances? Better off buying them at site? What else should I invest in before going? high-end tent perhaps?
Been to Glastonbury twice, 2011 and 2013 also got a ticket for this year. Never had a problem taking stuff with me (well hidden of course). I would NEVER buy drugs at a Festival - too much chance of getting ripped off or getting dodgy shit. If you do want to buy stuff then the Stone Circle is the place to go - weed, LSD, etc

As for the diversity of acts - err Glastonbury has booked the likes of Jay-Z and Beyonce, plus the other stage had QOTSA headlining whilst Beyonce was on if I remember correctly.

After last year my #1 tip is don't go out of your way to investigate "secret act" rumours, last year it seemed Daft Punk were playing everywhere and I wasted my time investigating every single rumour.

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Been to Burning Man once and I this will be my 9th Shambhala. Considering going to Outlook or Innovation in the Sun next year, or maybe Burning Man again.

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
Riot Fest looks good I may have to check that out. I noticed Denver gets Primus though and I don't see that on Chicago's
frown.png
That's a bummer. Unless it is one of the ?????? on the fliers.

edit: Is GWAR still playing? Just noticed them on there wasn't sure if that was made prior to Dave Brockie's death
edit2: Yep, looks like they're still on for the show, they just posted the announcement on their site yesterday

Barab

Silver Knight of the Realm
ya should be interesting, last year there were a shit ton of after hour shows as well.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Going to Sonic Boom, which is a local radio station's music festival. They haven't had great lineups in the past, but this year they've knocked it out of the park for a smallish festival:SONiC BOOM 2014 | Lineup

Telestin

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The best festival I went to was Warped Tour a couple of years ago. I took my niece, and we were the guests of one of the bands. We got VIP treatment the whole day. Samantha Maloney (drummer for Hole and Motley Crue) hung out with us, and watched one of the shows with us. Other than a tornado warning (which delayed the even for about 3 hours and caused set times to be cut in half for most groups), it was a hell of a day!

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Would go out of my way to see Jack White and Robert Plant, both playing there this year. Considering going down to London to see White play the Apollo.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I go to the Newport Folk Festival every year. In recent years it's gotten very very big but it's still one of the best music festivals out there. They get phenomenal acts every year, I always end up finding 3-4 new amazing bands I'd never heard of before and it's not a shit show. I'm way too old to go to drug/alcohol party puke "music festivals" like Bonnaroo and find it exhausting and annoying being surrounded by people who are just completely shitfaced/fucked up. At Newport every one is just there enjoying the music and having a good time. There are never any incidents there. It's wonderful.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Sorry I forgot about making this thread. Was pretty drunk, much of my rambling in OP seems even worse then my normally bad posting.

Khane are in you from Rhode Island or New England? I might go myself given it's only a 20min drive.

Looking at the lineup Band of horses had one song I loved. It seems vastly improved over when I went in the 90s, although the only other act I really recognize is Jeff Tweedy.

Edit: Also just bought and tent, and gear for Glasto! I still dislike the idea of Metallica and stuff but everyone changes. May be forced to buy stuff there however to avoid the risk of flying with stuff. I only really want a few rolls I think.

I might consider burningman once myself. In my late 20s so I figure its going to happen soon or never.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Makes sense. Just swap the bands back and forth from one night to the next basically. Maybe they get a group discount.

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
That is very common for promoters who are close to each other, not only for festivals, but acts they bring to club's as well.

We almost always collaborate with promoters in Edmonton, GP, Fernie etc when we bring acts to Calgary.

Saves on Visa costs, flights etc.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Sorry I forgot about making this thread. Was pretty drunk, much of my rambling in OP seems even worse then my normally bad posting.

Khane are in you from Rhode Island or New England? I might go myself given it's only a 20min drive.

Looking at the lineup Band of horses had one song I loved. It seems vastly improved over when I went in the 90s, although the only other act I really recognize is Jeff Tweedy.

Edit: Also just bought and tent, and gear for Glasto! I still dislike the idea of Metallica and stuff but everyone changes. May be forced to buy stuff there however to avoid the risk of flying with stuff. I only really want a few rolls I think.

I might consider burningman once myself. In my late 20s so I figure its going to happen soon or never.
Didn't realise you were in the US.

I gave up the option of purchasing my Glastonbury ticket this year, if you have any questions at all then let me know

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Have wanted to go for ages. But after getting tix last year work came at last minute. Shame it looked amazing, with Portishead, Smashing pumpkins, XX, FOAL, so many acts I want to see...
So how was Glastonbury? After the weather and Chromeo cancelling, I am overall relieved I passed up my ticket

Needless

Toe Sucker
That is very common for promoters who are close to each other, not only for festivals, but acts they bring to club's as well.

We almost always collaborate with promoters in Edmonton, GP, Fernie etc when we bring acts to Calgary.

Saves on Visa costs, flights etc.
Too bad Calgary gets passed by a lot of the bands i enjoy, assholes.
They'll always go to TO or Montreal but neeever Calgary
frown.png