Final Fantasy 16

tugofpeace

Lord Nagafen Raider
Eikon battles are amazing, assume you have only done the tutorial ones Phoenix/Ifrit so far?
Exactly how I felt halfway through. Started off really interesting and strong, went downhill fast and I couldn’t get excited to log back on. Watching cutscenes constantly interrupted the game flow so much. Then you add in non rewarding exploration, nonexistent loot, shit tier crafting. Just another turd of a game for a tired franchise.

Yep just Phoenix/Ifrit so far.

Exactly, the game interrupts too much with cutscenes. It's like one minute of battle, cutscene, walk around, cutscene, it's just not engaging. Think I'll move onto another game.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
There's a lot of cutscenes at the start, less so after, but still a lot, it's very much trying to tell a story. The story is pretty alright, combat is ok once you unlock more powers so overall I thought it was pretty fine, but I dropped it at some point cause of some other game I wanted to play and it took me months to get back into it and finish it(even though I only had like a few hours left, I was in like chapter 8 or whatever when I quit). I could definitely see not getting into it.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yep just Phoenix/Ifrit so far.

Exactly, the game interrupts too much with cutscenes. It's like one minute of battle, cutscene, walk around, cutscene, it's just not engaging. Think I'll move onto another game.

I have mixed feelings about the open world play and railroad cutscene game styles. I actually like both. they each have their pros/cons for me. I typically switch them up to stay sane. Went from the assassins creed Valhalla to the requiem plague game and I enjoyed both.

my ocd kills me in games like assassin’s creed. I feel the need to clear the map. Maybe it’s because it specifically highlights to me something is there. In plagues tale I just muddle along, enjoy the story and only bother picking up things moderately in my path, it’s a nice change of pace.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
The game should have ended after the family story line was pretty much over. Then it went completely into left field.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Every single FF game goes left field for some weird sci fi angle. I excuse it because it’s always been that way. In FF4 you go to the fucking moon after a giant robot shows up.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Probably because I play 14 the cutscenes never bothered me at all. They look great and the story is engaging at least for most of the game. The other thing I was more hopeful for was more variety with eikon loadouts for different play styles, but quickly became obvious some skills were just far better than others that had no real use.

Chris

Potato del Grande
That's RPGs these days, it's bad. The same dev team made one of the best stories in gaming inexplicably in an MMO woth FF14.

Elden Ring and Cyberpunk don't do it so there's no excuse, but you basically can't play most RPGs if you want gameplay.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I like cutscenes personally. When im not in the mood for them i like the option to skip them. If you can skip the cutscenes in this FF16 then disliking the amount of the matters not.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
That's RPGs these days, it's bad. The same dev team made one of the best stories in gaming inexplicably in an MMO woth FF14.

Elden Ring and Cyberpunk don't do it so there's no excuse, but you basically can't play most RPGs if you want gameplay.
Tales of Arise and Trials of Mana remake are 2 of the last JRPGs I played and while Arise did have a lot of story, Trials of Mana was a lot lighter on it, and both had good gameplay mixed in so didn't mind it. I guess Granblue Relink could also be considered a JRPG and the story was relatively short in that and largely just combat(it was also pretty shit but once you finish the story it goes into a monster hunter-like postgame where you just chain fight stuff to progress so it was quite a lot of fun, gameplay was good too). Guess can add Dragon's Dogma 2 to the list too, doesn't have many cutscenes and story is whatever, it's pretty much pure gameplay. Oh and I played FF7R too, I guess that one did have a lot of cutscenes. Not sure about the 2nd one only played the first.

XVI is just heavier than usual on story cause they wanted to make it the main focus but I wouldn't say that's the norm, it's a mix of stuff.