Final Fantasy 16

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Started playing it yesterday but I decided to wait for release. Ended the demo at the flashback so probably missed the hype gameplay.

I just felt I wanted to play it in one go once I start. It looked great though. I did notice some wierd graphic when you practiced sparring at the start, the npc I was fighting was really blurry like it was out of focus. I did use the performance option on though so might be the cause.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
A fool, because he actually has really good takes on most things.

Asmon does have good takes and is a generally likeable guy. Damn though if I don't get tired of seeing goofy thumbnails of his face everywhere on YT for a week after I watch one of his videos though.

Hope you're right, they definitely have me interested in the story already, will wait for a few reviews but I'll most likely end up buying it. Reading IGNs "4 hour media only" review it does sound like a lot of the beginning is on rails though, really hope at some point it opens up and has missables / optional side content / areas.

Some of the FF16 stuff I've seen gave me the impression it might be open world. Like the areas look open and everything. Demo seems like it isn't. It's fine either way but I wish I knew for sure what the deal was.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
For open world vs linear, really every aspect of a game can be one, two or three dimensional.

The best games will have depth to multiple of exploration, combat, story, music etc

FF10 had a three dimensional story and combat system so one dimensional exploration was fine - especially as it tied into the story.

FF13 didn't have anything that was three dimensional, so the one dimensional exploration stood out and sucked - especially as the locations didn't seem contiguous at all.

So if this had an amazing story and combat, the zone layout won't matter. Hitting everything is what developers should aspire to though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

FF13 capped experience gains per chapter. So you not only had the physical tunnel with no side content you literally could not even RPG it and grow in power beyond how much slack they coded for your leash. Could you even call 90% of that game a RPG? Worse than simply being 1D.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
FF13 capped experience gains per chapter. So you not only had the physical tunnel with no side content you literally could not even RPG it and grow in power beyond how much slack they coded for your leash. Could you even call 90% of that game a RPG? Worse than simply being 1D.

Yep, turned me off the game very quickly, never got anywhere near the end of it.....I'd think they have enough feedback to not repeat that again, but still a bit skeptical.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
if you wanna play FF16 on the ps5, ps5's are currently "on sale" basically you get god of war 2 for free and its in stock everywhere - amazon, best buy, target, costco, etc, etc

www.amazon.com/PlayStation-PS5-Console-Ragnar%C3%B6k-Bundle-5/dp/B0BHC395WW

spiderman 2 is coming in oct and should be a banger so not a bad time to jump in
Ya but why would you ever get the cd version over the 100$ cheaper digital? You're basically paying 100$ for a useless DVD player.

• 1Imbecile
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Ya but why would you ever get the cd version over the 100$ cheaper digital? You're basically paying 100$ for a useless DVD player.
Playing ps4 discs. Buying used games. Borrowing games.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
One dimensional?

Playing ps4 discs. Buying used games. Borrowing games.
Ah ok. I don't play much console so I guess I never thought of those things. My bad~ Usually I just switch accounts and just play their games vice versa.

Last edited:

joz123

Potato del Grande
Ah ok. I don't play much console so I guess I never thought of those things. My bad~ Usually I just switch accounts and just play their games vice versa.
Dave Chapelle GIF by MOODMAN

• 1Worf

Aazrael

Best thing is, the dog survives the demo and is in the main game. So does the silver chocobo surprisingly.
That puppy better survive. I thought it was going to be a sad moment the second I saw that puppy.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Not only what was mentioned, but ps5 games can frequently be gotten for cheaper than on the digital store. Retailers do sales or clearances all the time. Generally from not long after release until like a year later you can get the game cheaper in physical format. After that usually they get cheap enough that the digital store sales are as cheap.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Not only what was mentioned, but ps5 games can frequently be gotten for cheaper than on the digital store. Retailers do sales or clearances all the time. Generally from not long after release until like a year later you can get the game cheaper in physical format. After that usually they get cheap enough that the digital store sales are as cheap.

Usually yeah. Some retailers just suck, like Wal-Mart and Target. Their prices have always been horrendous for games. Not uncommon to see things that are years old going for $60 in those stores that are like $20 on the digital store and $25 on eBay. But yeah, for the most part digital isn't really a good deal.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Usually yeah. Some retailers just suck, like Wal-Mart and Target. Their prices have always been horrendous for games. Not uncommon to see things that are years old going for $60 in those stores that are like $20 on the digital store and $25 on eBay. But yeah, for the most part digital isn't really a good deal.
Walmart has some of the best switch games deals on the first party games that never go on sale on the digital store. A lot of their games are $10 under the digital store even with no sale. Target rarely does but once in a while they do a buy two get one free thing that is nice.

You’re right about third party old games though. They don’t follow the digital store downwards.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I saw Witcher 3 in a Wal-Mart the other day for like $40... I got that for $20 like four years ago on the PS store.

Cybsled

Best thing is, the dog survives the demo and is in the main game. So does the silver chocobo surprisingly.

First time I thought the choco got roasted. But I later noticed there is a blink or you
miss it scene just prior to Ifrit where you see the chocobo run off in the background when the lord commander is looking at Clive