Final Fantasy 16

spronk

FPS noob
yeah i'm closing in on the ending too and while there are lots of flaws in the game, especially the combat and crafting systems which feel really dumbed down or worthless, and it doesn't feel like the "edges" of the game are super well polished. Still I got mad respect for the story and how fucked up it gets at points. Its just basic ass compelling "what THE FUCK just happened" story beats that feels more and more missing from retarded western stories which are more concerned with representation and diversity.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Just saw an ingame mention of "Leviathan the Lost". Wonder why he's lost? Did they just run out of dev time or was there a conscious decision to leave out the second-mightiest Eidolon?

Think we'll fight Leviathan in a DLC? Hell, think we'll get a DLC?

There is nothing confirmed in game, as far as I know, but I can put some stuff in spoilers that I think you are far enough to have seen or heard from Tomes

I believe a picture was posted a few pages back, but near Oriflamme, off the coast in the distance, is a big jut of Ice. Some travelers point it out, you can see it, but it clearly not from anything we see Jill do in game, nor would it have made sense for her to do.

If you look at the Mothercrystals entry in the Tomes, it will tell you there were 8, now there are 5 in the current day.

So the prevailing theory is that there was a previous attempt to destroy them, and that the Shiva of that time was maybe loyal to Ultima then. That ice is a remnant of their fight and they are sealed beneath it, frozen, preventing another one from being born.

Thats all just speculation. Yoshi-P has said all the Eikons are active in our current time, but we don't see any evidence of them anywhere

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
There is nothing confirmed in game, as far as I know, but I can put some stuff in spoilers that I think you are far enough to have seen or heard from Tomes

I believe a picture was posted a few pages back, but near Oriflamme, off the coast in the distance, is a big jut of Ice. Some travelers point it out, you can see it, but it clearly not from anything we see Jill do in game, nor would it have made sense for her to do.

If you look at the Mothercrystals entry in the Tomes, it will tell you there were 8, now there are 5 in the current day.

So the prevailing theory is that there was a previous attempt to destroy them, and that the Shiva of that time was maybe loyal to Ultima then. That ice is a remnant of their fight and they are sealed beneath it, frozen, preventing another one from being born.

Thats all just speculation. Yoshi-P has said all the Eikons are active in our current time, but we don't see any evidence of them anywhere

Sounds like they have a lot of room for DLCs.

Leviathan is the obvious one

Maybe also Asura or Alexander, probably the other two biggest eidolons missing from this.

Shiva and Ramuh don't have any boss fights, so dark versions of both could be a thing.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Sounds like they have a lot of room for DLCs.

Leviathan is the obvious one

Maybe also Asura or Alexander, probably the other two biggest eidolons missing from this.

Shiva and Ramuh don't have any boss fights, so dark versions of both could be a thing.
Bro they are called Eikons

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Well promised the wife I won't touch this until I see an oncologist so I may never finish it.
Not sure what your situation is, but when I first developed my cancer, I ignored symptoms for 7 months before going to the doctor. And in that time it processed to stage 4. Go to the fucking doctor!

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not sure what they could do with a DLC concerning Eikons, considering the ending of FF16 and the cutscene after the credits.
I really don't understand the history of FF16 and how Ultima / Logos, Aether, Eikons, Humanity (pre Fallen, Fallen, post Fallen), Blight, Mothercrystals and Origin all relate to each other. Yet, Clive destorys Origin by using the power absorbed from Ultima, but in so doing sacrifices himself. The after credit cutscene seems to imply that the world no longer has access to Aether, and the events of FF16 are a fictional tale by someone named Joshua Rosfield. So, if that is indeed how the world became after Clive did what he did... what would a DLC be about?

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Not sure what your situation is, but when I first developed my cancer, I ignored symptoms for 7 months before going to the doctor. And in that time it processed to stage 4. Go to the fucking doctor!
Mine was it had never ever happened before , then SURPRISE, and now I'm dealing with the backside of it. I may speak up about it when I actually have something to say.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Mine was it had never ever happened before , then SURPRISE, and now I'm dealing with the backside of it. I may speak up about it when I actually have something to say.
That's incredibly vague but yeah. Don't put that shit off, if you need to do it, do it.

Cybsled

Not sure what they could do with a DLC concerning Eikons, considering the ending of FF16 and the cutscene after the credits.
I really don't understand the history of FF16 and how Ultima / Logos, Aether, Eikons, Humanity (pre Fallen, Fallen, post Fallen), Blight, Mothercrystals and Origin all relate to each other. Yet, Clive destorys Origin by using the power absorbed from Ultima, but in so doing sacrifices himself. The after credit cutscene seems to imply that the world no longer has access to Aether, and the events of FF16 are a fictional tale by someone named Joshua Rosfield. So, if that is indeed how the world became after Clive did what he did... what would a DLC be about?

We see Clive's arm petrify after he attempts to use magic, but that is it. It is possible he did not suffer full petrification. Also, someone had to write that book. Clive writing a book under Joshua's name seems to be in character for him, since Joshua seems to be actually dead by the end of the game

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Not doing this any time soon, but does anyone know offhand if you have to "do everything" twice to get the platinum or can you just "do everything" in NG+? Jirard the Completionist did everything twice but I have a feeling that isn't necessary. Anything that does need to be done in NG?

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Yeah you have to complete the game in Final Fantasy mode :p Fuck that.

So I just wrapped up the game last night. I'll spoil all of this just in case.

I liked the first 80% of the story. After it went into the Ultima / King stuff I was getting bored and the game started feeling like an absolute slog. Up until this point while there was a lot of running back and forth (I hated the Hideaway design for this very reason) and useless quest steps in some instances "I better go let Jill know it's time to go" Talk to Jill she says 2 things and then you can continue... that shit was aggravating but got really bad in the last 20% of the game. It didn't help that EVERY SINGLE CUT SCENE was "We can do this together" "We are saving the world" "We are giving people a choice in life" YADA.... YADA.... Jesus I was about ready to rip my fucking head off if I had to hear any more of that Banter in the last 20% of the game, and in the final 5% it was like the developers knew that would annoy the ever living fuck out of me so they tripled down on that bullshit. NO. YOU DO NOT NEED ANOTHER CUT SCENE WITH THE SAME DRIVEL CONVERSATION I HAVE HEARD 65 TIMES IN THE LAST 34 MINUTES. Also the ultima thing dragged so fucking much. Going to Ash, running through, fighting trash mobs, more useless banter and cut scenes stating the above, finally make it to Ultima and small fight encounter that doesn't matter - and then some decent story tidbits in there, run out, back to hideaway, run back and forth between useless characters - Had to laugh when "I better go talk to Otto"... Run over there "Ok sounds good" says Otto, another huge cut scene between Joshua and Clive saying the SAME EXACT SHIT. anyway, I think everyone gets the point. I just wanted the shit to end already.

Some of the side quests were good - the food delivery shit was annoying and the running back and forth shit in hideaway was so pointless. Add a couple waypoints in that place to speed things along or increase my run speed. Obviously I did all the + quests but even then as I got to Blacksmith 3 I was skipping dialogue like a madman along with others late stage.

Itemization was simple which really didn't bother me all that much. I would just upgrade when the time arose. Combat was fine except for a few bosses when the fights would just fucking drag as targeting became a problem when pushed far away and needing to get in close again while dodging shit. (The final ultima fight was more annoying then fun - but I am not sure if it was because of the mechanics or I didn't give two shits about the white walker Ultima style story which felt tacked on anyway)

Game definitely could have used more rewards for exploring the books and crannies. I finished at 88% exploration because I didn't care. It's hilarious when you have 200k gil and you are in a high level area running over to a loot spot (Which I knew better anyhow but wanted to check it out) and get 5 gil for going out of my way so in the end 99% of that was completely pointless and I would just google any rare mats I might need for something I wanted to craft as an upgrade.

Action sequences were sweet but by Ultima I was pretty much over the same QTE for everything. HIt R1, Hit Square, Mash Square. Served it's purpose because of the awesome wow moments in the action movie sequences when the QTE was going on. Sound and music were good.

Overall I would give it a 8/10. Great story up to when mom died. Drawn out after either because of too much of the same conversational cut scenes over and over, running, trash fighting, or fighting the same damn guy 3-4 times during the last 20% of the game. Exploration needed a lot more fun factor or at least useful rewards. Unlockable + quests were fine. Hideaway was a pain in the ass to get anywhere with a slow run speed and the last 20% of the story quest gameplay/loop was a chore.

As far as DLC, I would rather they just start on 17.

Wasn't a huge fan of the ending either. Joshua was supposed to not be able to bring people back, he did with Clive, Clive has his power and may have been able to do it for Joshua no one really knows since the book at the end could have been written before or after the final encounter. Some of the side quests explain this stuff but since 40% of them were just garbage door dash quests it may have been a better idea to get rid of those entirely and just focus on lore side quests as side's to the story for better explanation - which 60% of them were, but I would bet people got fed up like me with the fetch shit that no one bothered with most of them.

I looked at what it would take to plat and saw I would have to run through the game again in Final Fantasy mode. Nah. No thanks.

Also: Do not lock side quests. I ran into a few that I would try to do and there was a lock next to them while I could do others. I still do not know why I couldn't get into a certain door in hideaway, and if I had to run down to that garden area again for a 4th upgrade to consumable potency I was going to murder the garden guy and bring the garden to the obelisk.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yeah you have to complete the game in Final Fantasy mode :p Fuck that.

So I just wrapped up the game last night. I'll spoil all of this just in case.

"I liked the first 80% of the story. After it went into the Ultima / King stuff I was getting bored and the game started feeling like an absolute slog."

Also my sentiments. Like no joke they burned the game out. I assumed the Empress was going to be the final boss. Her suiciding instead of being defeated by you was a real dropping of the ball.

"Also the ultima thing dragged so fucking much."

They had to clear the deck in the last 20% for their new villain who was super OP and had little other discernable character. It wasn't the least bit interesting and it just went on and on. Having like five battles with Ultima was also pretty excessive.

I feel a lot like how I did after FF7 Remake. Kind of blown away by the overall presentation, but also kind of angry at it, probably directly attributable to the last act of the game in both cases.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
It's weird because the last act of FF14 blew me away as the villian has a great reveal, crazy lair, rips apart your party, then you play through their motivation before an Amano designed final form and character payoffs just before/during the fight. Then there's an epilouge fight like in FF7 but you actually play it yourself. Perfection.

Makes me wonder exactly which team differences caused that difference. The writer/creative lead is listed as Kazutoyo Maehiro who appears to be behind the FF12 battle system and FF14 Heavensward story. Heavensward had a very grounded setting and sentimental ending which makes sense.

They need Natsuko Ishikawa who did FF14 Shadowbringers and Endwalker.

• 1Like

Ashin

Silver Knight of the Realm
We see Clive's arm petrify after he attempts to use magic, but that is it. It is possible he did not suffer full petrification. Also, someone had to write that book. Clive writing a book under Joshua's name seems to be in character for him, since Joshua seems to be actually dead by the end of the game
I interpreted the ending as Clive potentially resurrecting Joshua as he went over to his corpse and clearly healed it + he had a shitload of aether so there's your deus ex machina to do a CR for the first time in the game

SimSimSalabim

Molten Core Raider
Finally finished this myself so I can read peoples opinions finally. The Utnayan post several posts back hits the nail directly on the head.

a few thoughts

Side quests are the bane of this game. If you do them all in a completionist way you fuck with the pacing and you spend time doing a lot of really lame, uninteresting quests. If you don’t do them you miss out on the handful of quests that are interesting and provide good world building.

One thing this game really needed was another color quest indicator. Something like Red = MSQ, Purple = side quest with interesting story/lore, Green = lame shit that you really shouldn’t do unless you’re bored/a completionist.

Comment on the story
The peak of the game for me is honestly destruction of the first mothercrystal and the events surrounding it. I get that there are more grandiose moments, but those for me weren’t much more than ‘well that was cool to watch’.

When I first played through this sequence I actually played through it again for my wife to see, I was that blown away. It was WTF moment after WTF moment, followed by a very emotional death of Cid and reemergence of Joshua. It left more questions than answers in the best type of way. I thought to myself at the time that if the game stayed this good or topped it into the final acts and ending that I would tell my friends it’s a must play game. Did not happen.

Not only was the game downhill from there (not bad, just downhill), but to have Joshua’s imprisoning of that Ultima be a complete red herring is so lame in retrospect. Cid’s ‘I know who you are’ line is never revisited. I waited the whole second half of the game to find {Cid’s Diary} or whatever where you read his entries chronologically as he pieces together the relation of the Aether/mothercrystals/ultima. Instead I guess he just knew Ultima from having been close to barnabas for a time, much less interesting

also, the emotional weight of Cid’s death is never topped…not even by Joshua’s.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

SimSimSalabim

Molten Core Raider
I interpreted the ending as Clive potentially resurrecting Joshua as he went over to his corpse and clearly healed it + he had a shitload of aether so there's your deus ex machina to do a CR for the first time in the game
I think this is correct. The idea, as far as I understood, is that Ultima’s aether gathering was for the purpose of reviving his own race. Clive takes Ultima’s power and abundance of aether and instead revives Joshua before *somehow* removing magic from existence, resulting in his own death. Clive giving his life for the sake of everyone else and Joshua being reborn also makes the most sense for their character arcs.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
65 hours
97% finished with story according to PS5 dashboard

cool, almost done, must be coming up to final mission, should be finished this weekend and ready for baldurs gate

buncha cutscenes, think i'm gonna go on my final mission before the usual tropey "world ending, only you can save us hero, blah blah blah" final fantasy crap.

then... i get hit with 10 side missions lol

yeah sure, before i go save the world lemme go get your fucking library book bitch

game is not great, while I think overall its better than final fantasy 15 it feels so disjointed and a bit unfinished, or just large chunks of the game were done by an intern while the team focused on a fairly mediocre story. Oh well. Definitely some hot chicks in the game.

• 1Like

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Since I was able to game again I started this last night again and wow it's pretty soul-less. It sure seemed like I just spammed one button and ran from cut scene to cut scene. I'll play it until BG3 on PC next week but not sure I'll finish it.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I haven’t played it in weeks, feels bad, shouldn’t have wasted the money. They did a good job with the demo, as before that I didn’t have much interest at all. The pacing is just complete dog shit. Awful side quests that interrupt the game flow. They put a couple important ones in there to make sure you don’t skip them. Just can’t be bothered to hop on and deliver more fucking soup to someone 26 feet away.