Final Fantasy 16

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
yeah I am on a mission to avenge my dead younger brother that I swore to keep safe and didn't but first I need to deliver (1) wooden plank and (3) food dishes that look like dogfood.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
All these complaints about the side quests... just skip them, My God.

I'm not crazy about the game myself but this is an easily fixable issue. I did almost no side quests for the whole game outside of a few that I heard about here as being worth doing, and I was fine.

The only part that gave me any grief was the last chapter because it went on and on and on with endless jobber minion fights on the way to the actual boss, who then had like five different fights. Games are like dates, they need to know how to end and leave the player wanting more.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
yeah I am on a mission to avenge my dead younger brother that I swore to keep safe and didn't but first I need to deliver (1) wooden plank and (3) food dishes that look like dogfood.

Just beat this yesterday. No idea why they start you off on side quests like that, it probably made a few people ignore those side quest icons for the rest of the game.

BUT, they get much better. Just before the end, a ton more open up and help add a lot more story to your friends, and are worth doing (plus the ones that increase potion bag size, blacksmith recipes, etc)

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I haven’t played it in weeks, feels bad, shouldn’t have wasted the money. They did a good job with the demo, as before that I didn’t have much interest at all. The pacing is just complete dog shit. Awful side quests that interrupt the game flow. They put a couple important ones in there to make sure you don’t skip them. Just can’t be bothered to hop on and deliver more fucking soup to someone 26 feet away.

Yeah really just should have stopped the game 80% in, got rid of those deliver side quests and stuck to the decent story ones.

The last 20% of the game could really end up in a bonfire and we would have been fine with it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Yeah really just should have stopped the game 80% in, got rid of those deliver side quests and stuck to the decent story ones.

The last 20% of the game could really end up in a bonfire and we would have been fine with it.
Yeah. I really lost interest towards the end and didn't even finish. Probably just watch the cutscenes/last fights on youtube and call it good.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
All these complaints about the side quests... just skip them, My God.

I'm not crazy about the game myself but this is an easily fixable issue. I did almost no side quests for the whole game outside of a few that I heard about here as being worth doing, and I was fine.

The only part that gave me any grief was the last chapter because it went on and on and on with endless jobber minion fights on the way to the actual boss, who then had like five different fights. Games are like dates, they need to know how to end and leave the player wanting more.
Well I play games blind so not looking up which quests is why I was doing them all. I’d read there were some important ones on here. The chocobo one, I would’ve missed if I wasn’t doing them.

Chris

Potato del Grande
It's not that bad. The food delivery is only in the very first part to show how fucked up the world is with all the slavery. Later on you are doing other things.

The devs seemily wanted rest periods between the high action/drama sections, think of it as the world map replacement.

I don't think it's great either, so just don't fucking do it.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Well I play games blind so not looking up which quests is why I was doing them all. I’d read there were some important ones on here. The chocobo one, I would’ve missed if I wasn’t doing them.

Kinda - you may have missed that they marked these types of quests (Any quest that gives you an ability or enhances an ability - IE more potion capacity, potion enhancement, etc) with a + symbol. Hindsight and all that but would have been nice to keep the + symbol for those, maybe an "S" for story impacting, and no symbol for the doordash. That way if I saw an S or a + I would do those and the other stuff, ignored.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Kinda - you may have missed that they marked these types of quests (Any quest that gives you an ability or enhances an ability - IE more potion capacity, potion enhancement, etc) with a + symbol. Hindsight and all that but would have been nice to keep the + symbol for those, maybe an "S" for story impacting, and no symbol for the doordash. That way if I saw an S or a + I would do those and the other stuff, ignored.
Oh sweet. If I ever pick it back up I’ll skip quests without that then.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
yeah finished finally last night, 79h to 100% the story/side missions. i liked it but i totally acknowledge its not a great game and the game goes really downhill in the last few hours.

The side story wrapups are really awesome though and I enjoyed wrapping all that stuff up although its sorta awkwardly jammed in right before the end. better than ubisoft games, better than modern woke nonsense, but end of the day it felt like i was watching someone play a game rather than actually playing a game. I found FF7R to be far more enjoyable.

Just tons and tons and tons of problems with FF16 like extremely shallow combat, zero real towns you can hang out in, no real systems in the game, crafting is a joke, skill points are a joke, talents are a joke, the ending honestly just sucks, the bad guy is probably the worst final fantasy villain ever, there is almost no depth to anything, on and on.

on the other hand its probably a great game before baldurs gate 3, which I expect to be much deeper and RPG heavy.

• 1Like

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Screenshot_20230731_190029_Firefox.jpg

Having faith in YoshiP was not a good idea?

Janx

<Silver Donator>
View attachment 484778

Having faith in YoshiP was not a good idea?
He did a good job with it. Outside of ffx this was the furthest I got in a numbered ff game since 7. Console exclusivity is one of the things that got me to stop. I'm spoiled and can't abide sub 60+ fps. Didn't beat remake on ps4 but enjoyed the hell out of it on pc.

• 1Seriously?

Malakriss

If this was a separate property, not even named Final Fantasy, it would have been fine and not had the expectations that a numbered FF does. Obviously, it would get less sales if it's not tied to established IP but it very much felt like Hollywood buying the name and slap it on a property from a different genre.

One of the foundations of RPGs in general is replayability, going back years later and playing it again. But because this game is so story focused and the combat is not RPG enough it sadly will not have that replayability. The majority that beat it once won't bother doing a NG+ run through for example.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
If this was a separate property, not even named Final Fantasy, it would have been fine and not had the expectations that a numbered FF does. Obviously, it would get less sales if it's not tied to established IP but it very much felt like Hollywood buying the name and slap it on a property from a different genre.

One of the foundations of RPGs in general is replayability, going back years later and playing it again. But because this game is so story focused and the combat is not RPG enough it sadly will not have that replayability. The majority that beat it once won't bother doing a NG+ run through for example.

Said it before, if this was basically the same game but it was Stranger of Paradise 2 and Clive became Emperor Paramekia at the end, it probably would have been perfectly well-recieved by the FF fanbase. They already lifted a bunch of stuff from the FF2 world for this game anyway.

Spoilers on how I think it should have been structured:

The game should have ended with Bahamut (which is probably the 80% mark you're talking about?)

Odin's chapter was tolerable, but it should have been earlier, before Bahamut. Because by then it was kind of like "everything I cared about is resolved, why is this still going". And then the last Big Bad is just lame as fuck and they spend like 6 hours trying to make him this big memorable deal when he just isn't.

The one saving grace is that Odin's powers were really fun to use in the last 10% or so, but again, should have been earlier.

Shorten Odin's chapter, take out all the repetitive minibusses, and put it right before the final Imperial Capitol / Bahamut chapter. Then have the finale post-Bahamut be like two hours long at the most, mainly just to give you something to use Bahamut powers for. Or just leave out Ultima entirely and have Bahamut powers be something you can use in the postgame / mop-up. No idea if powers carry over to NG+.

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just finished this today finally. Overall I was quite disappointed. Make it an off-shoot of the mainline numbered FF games and it's fine, but as a headline FF game it missed the mark terribly. I don't see myself ever playing it again since it is so slow, linear, and gives you no reason to slog through it a second time since there are no other classes to try.

-There is really no option to go off the beaten path and explore since everything is time gated and the world chest drops are all junk.

-Loot is pointless. Armor and weapons are all locked behind time gates - wanna go beat a really tough Hunt? Great, your reward is gil (also completely pointless unless you want to buy songs) and a crafting component that you can't use until the game decides you've progressed enough to unlock the recipe. Speaking of loot, I loathe that random monsters and named monsters don't drop real items. It's all crafting components. Zero incentive to farm stuff. Any chests you come across usually have crafting junk, but in the rare instance you get an item, its some accessory with a 0.5 second reduction in recharge time for an ability. I didn't use a single accessory the whole game that I looted from a chest. Not one.

-side quests are brutal. Simple mind-numbing fetch quests with pitiful rewards. "Here go deliver this bread for 5 minutes and I'll give you 30xp and 20gil..." They completely break up the flow of the game, especially so at the end when you finally are going to beat the final boss and instead the game throws a dozen side quests at you randomly.

-Combat decisions - going the whole QTE monster battles looked cool but felt really out of place for FF.

-The entire game loop is run down a corridor, cutscene, mash square button battle, cutscene, run down a corridor, rinse repeat for 50 hours.

-story was interesting enough initially, but as others have said, the game really goes off the rails around 75% of the way through.

FF Stranger of Paradise felt more mainline FF to me than 16 did. It's also an ARPG, but at least it has classes and real loot.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Just finished this today finally. Overall I was quite disappointed. Make it an off-shoot of the mainline numbered FF games and it's fine, but as a headline FF game it missed the mark terribly. I don't see myself ever playing it again since it is so slow, linear, and gives you no reason to slog through it a second time since there are no other classes to try.

-There is really no option to go off the beaten path and explore since everything is time gated and the world chest drops are all junk.

-Loot is pointless. Armor and weapons are all locked behind time gates - wanna go beat a really tough Hunt? Great, your reward is gil (also completely pointless unless you want to buy songs) and a crafting component that you can't use until the game decides you've progressed enough to unlock the recipe. Speaking of loot, I loathe that random monsters and named monsters don't drop real items. It's all crafting components. Zero incentive to farm stuff. Any chests you come across usually have crafting junk, but in the rare instance you get an item, its some accessory with a 0.5 second reduction in recharge time for an ability. I didn't use a single accessory the whole game that I looted from a chest. Not one.

-side quests are brutal. Simple mind-numbing fetch quests with pitiful rewards. "Here go deliver this bread for 5 minutes and I'll give you 30xp and 20gil..." They completely break up the flow of the game, especially so at the end when you finally are going to beat the final boss and instead the game throws a dozen side quests at you randomly.

-Combat decisions - going the whole QTE monster battles looked cool but felt really out of place for FF.

-The entire game loop is run down a corridor, cutscene, mash square button battle, cutscene, run down a corridor, rinse repeat for 50 hours.

-story was interesting enough initially, but as others have said, the game really goes off the rails around 75% of the way through.

FF Stranger of Paradise felt more mainline FF to me than 16 did. It's also an ARPG, but at least it has classes and real loot.

Yeah SoP was better than this and I maintain that this should have been called SoP 2.

The more I think back on 16 the more I have no desire to revisit it, much like what happened after I finished 15. This series has seen better days.

There's one fight, Ultima Prime or something, where it's literally a DBZ fight in cutscene where you occasionally press a button. How that's "Final Fantasy" is beyond me.

• 2Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Finally finished. All my gripes are summed up perfectly these past few pages.

There is a moment with Cid when you’re about to smash the first Crystal where they reach a big door that Cid says to smash down on the count of three. Was expecting a mini game where you have to press X at the right moment to time your kick like in older FF Games. Nah, they just wanted you to press X three times. That was when the screw started to turn for me.

Everything about this game is designed to waste your time. I hope the MMO team stays in their lane from now on. This game is 80 percent bloat to add artificial length to a story with a super narrow scope. I’ve been playing FF14 on and off since the start. While the story eventually gets better, I really hate the brand of story telling. Go to this NPC, 1 line of text, pause, emote, another line of text, rinse repeat. Meanwhile, they speak a lot and say so little and it’s mostly redundant anyway. That’s pretty much how I felt about the way 16 told it’s story. By the end of the game I wanted to claw my eyes out. It felt like a single player MMO MSQ.

Speaking of FF14, I recognized alot of those emotes in this game. Like every time anyone hands something over to someone else, only since it’s a “AAA” game their hands have to be just off screen. Anyone who’s played the MMO should know what I’m talking about. Their was one cutscene in the desert zone where someone charged Charon and they did the cut away/fade to black/re appear on the floor comically injured bit.

The Music sounded like B-Sides that Soken had laying around that weren’t good enough for 14. Especially Titan.

Lastly, what’s the purpose of having a shiny in the last zone give you 4 Gil? Like seriously, why is that a thing?

trash tier game. 3/10 for me.

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Lastly, what’s the purpose of having a shiny in the last zone give you 4 Gil? Like seriously, why is that a thing?
t
Right? I stopped even bothering to run them over. 5 Gil, when I already had 10k+ early on, or 3 crafting materials of something I had thousands of, really was pointless. I’d say after the first 5 hours of playing, the sparkles are 100% worthless. What exactly was the point of putting them there other than the illusion of exploration.

• 1Solidarity

Chris

Potato del Grande
I hope that they have a free DLC to improve the battle system when this releases for PC.

Previous games had "international" versions which did this (7 had super bosses added, 10 had expert sphere grid, 12 had job system).

Not sure what they can do but 12 needed serious improvements and got them.

The Music sounded like B-Sides that Soken had laying around that weren’t good enough for 14. Especially Titan.
This was the biggest dissapointment for me.

The battles themes are good and fit in with the style of previous games, but there's nothing I'd go out of my way to listen to as regular music.

Meanwhile FF14 has LOTS of amazing music I occasionally will listen to just because.

Malakriss

Free update available, adds in an additional costume for each of the main characters plus the ability to change the sword skin to any in your inventory. Yoshi has confirmed 2 paid DLC are being developed and details on the eventual PC version will be available by the end of the year.