Final Fantasy I-VI Pixel Remaster Series

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah man Record Keeper international version closing shop was such a huge loss. And baffling to me.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
And baffling to me.
When your new content is tuned to be borderline impossible for anyone who isn't dolphin+ you will start hemorrhaging f2p and light spenders, and then all your big spenders quit because they have nobody to show off for.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Not quite a pixel remaster question, maybe we should change the thread to all things FF?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
There are several general Final Fantasy threads at this point. If we start merging there would be more than those two that would need to be merged. IMO no merger needed tho.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
When your new content is tuned to be borderline impossible for anyone who isn't dolphin+ you will start hemorrhaging f2p and light spenders, and then all your big spenders quit because they have nobody to show off for.
Yeah I suppose I was actually an exception, being someone that only tossed in cash for my single 100 gem pull per event.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yeah man Record Keeper international version closing shop was such a huge loss. And baffling to me.

Agreed on both counts, it was kind of baffling. I assume the subscriber base had really plummeted. When I was playing it a lot in the mid to late 2010's there were a ton of people playing it, knew a few people in RL offhand who were playing it even.

Every time I tried to revisit it, I quickly got deterred by how goddamn hard the new content was though. Anything over like 220 difficulty and I'd get roflstomped. Was kind of ridiculous. I don't even know if I can really call it "difficult" so much as "you have zero chance unless your party is optimized for this specific fight", every fight. Had to turn the game speed all the way down to have any remote chance. Was kind of ridiculous when I just wanted something nostalgic to play in spare time.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Not quite a pixel remaster question, maybe we should change the thread to all things FF? but another question in my quest to replay all FF 1 -> X(skipping 11 as it's online and I have tried it and I always come in and out of FFXIV the other online one).

I learned from interwebs and this thread that FFVII Remake Intergrade is not just a rework like pixel remaster but a new/different game based on the same story. Is that also the case with the FFVIII and FFVII Remastered?

The only ones I am skipping are:
  • FFIV After Years(for now, I may actually suck it up and go back to do this)
  • DISSIDIA: Apparently a gotcha type iphone game that has no player base anymore, gets total shit reviews, etc. Unless someone from here speaks up no plans to do this
  • The 3D remakes of 3/4 since they are just 3D remakes and I did the pixel remaster versions
  • I have tried WOTV but not really my thing and another ipad style game
  • I am currently playing FF7EC(the new ipad one) but I can easily see myself getting bored of the standard ipad gatcha style game after a month or two
  • I tried Brave Exvius but it's the same as the other two phone games above
  • Loved Record Keeper until they closed the servers and I can't be bothered to pretend to be from Korea or whatever region is still online, sounds complicated to do that crap
  • Played Dimensions but that also seemed like a never-ending phone game

Basically my main question is about FF8 above, but curious if I am incorrect on any of those never ending phone games being worth the effort. I am looking to play the ones that start and finish outside of FF14

There's a general FF thread like Denamian said and in the future we should put general FF questions there. Might even want to let this thread sorta go by the wayside since very few people are still playing the Pixel Remasters at this point. So any further questions you should put there:

I'll try to answer the questions here anyway as someone who's done the "start with FF1 and play all of them" twice now (once when FF10 was the latest one and once when FF13 was the latest one).

-I think it's worth playing the original versions of things...to an extent. Mostly it's FF1 on the NES that I'd say is worth playing for the historical value. The rest you could go PR for sure. FF1 PR is very different from FF1 NES (and much easier). Might want to do FF1 on NES just to see the genesis, then the PR version. FF1's so short that playing it twice isn't the worst thing, especially changing up the party lineup to try all the classes. Just leave Thief for the PR because it's awful on the NES.

-FF7 Remake is a different game based on the same story yes. FF8 Remastered is just an HD version of FF8. Same goes for FF9 HD.

-The 3D remakes of 3 and 4 are good, but I don't consider them the optimal versions or anything. They were better in the 2000's when their polygonal visuals didn't stick out like a sore thumb. FF4 3D's augment system is really cool but yeah. It's more of a "master quest" of FF4 IMO. I'd skip them unless one is really on a "do everything" run.

-FF Dimensions is basically just FF5-2 isn't it? I played it for a few hours and really liked it, didn't strike me as a phone game. I assume it has a normal arc and end point and isn't a gacha of any sort.

-World of Final Fantasy on the PS4 is actually a really good game that hardly anyone seems to know about. It's basic and simplistic, like a beginner's first RPG sort of thing, but it has a massive amount of nostalgia in it for the world and characters of the series.

-What I'd do at this point is FF1 NES, then the six PRs, then FF7/8/9/10/10-2/12 HD versions on PS4, then wrap up with FF7 Remake. The 13 trilogy, 15, and 16 are all really divisive and the latter two are action games, so not sure if I'd even bother with all of those even though I liked the 13 games a lot myself. 12 is a very high note to end on. If on a "do everything" run and have the time, then I'd add 13 trilogy, World of Final Fantasy, and 3/4 3D before 15/16.

-After Years is actually worth playing after FF1-6. I'd emulate the PSP version. The Wii version has the charming SNES aesthetic, but if you're playing the PR FF4 then that aesthetic means very little. PSP version is much prettier. Just be warned that TAY's final dungeon is like half of the game and can really drag. A lot of it is fanservice with returning bosses from 1-6 (which is why I'd suggest playing it after all of those).

-If you don't care a ton about beating all of said games, you could call it with TAY whenever it starts dragging. Same with FF1 NES if you get the gist of it, 13 if you don't like it, etc.

-No matter what I'd leave FF7 Remake for last. A lot of us here aren't crazy about that game. It's FF7 with much better (modern) visuals but it also goes off on new story detours and tangents. Plus there's a sequel on the way and leaving it for last gives that time to drop.

• 1Like

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ok, still playing through the FF's so I can get up to the latest.

Just finished FF7, which I did play back in the day. Overall the experience was the same and I did not bother to perfect play it or anything, just tried to enjoy the game but picking different characters than I did back when I was a kid. I was able to get beast mode pretty quickly to trivialize most of the content and I didn't even do it on purpose :(

Ohh well, not much to say since that is probably the most popular FF, glad to have redone it!

So now I started FF8(The remastered version if that matters) and I hate it so far. This stupid "draw" system to get magic sucks. I basically spend the entire battle NOT killing things and trying to draw as much magic as I can because it makes my summon things(GF) stronger when I link them. This also makes me not really want to cast much during battle.

Sometimes when I cast cure it heals me for 300hp and other times 70hp, I cannot figure out why. You can "cast" from a monsters pool of magic, same one you draw from but that seems pointless. I am not a fan of the graphics either. It's like they wanted to try and make it modern and the angles and movement are just off.

I'm also told that monsters level with you and leveling is basically garbage in this game. It's 100% about the drawing magic to link it to my critters and make me powerful....and of course linking the right element/status effects to the right offensive/defense for the situation.

Am I missing something? I'll admit I am very early in the game but I am struggling to enjoy it. I tried just stopping the draw crap and pushing along but then I get absolutely rekt by stuff. I do shit dmg both physical and magical to things that seem to have infinite HP, at least anything that isn't a trash mob. I spend all fight using the GF or healing. Does it get easier? Should I be doing things differently? I swear I have fought things that I've done over 25k dmg to in a 10+ minute fight and they still don't die and eventually whittle me down or make me lose through attrition and lack of interest.

Anyone play this through or have thoughts on it? My little case of OCD wouldn't feel right skipping it so I a tempted to just put a guide up on the other screen and push through doing the bare minimum.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Ok, still playing through the FF's so I can get up to the latest.

Just finished FF7, which I did play back in the day. Overall the experience was the same and I did not bother to perfect play it or anything, just tried to enjoy the game but picking different characters than I did back when I was a kid. I was able to get beast mode pretty quickly to trivialize most of the content and I didn't even do it on purpose :(

Ohh well, not much to say since that is probably the most popular FF, glad to have redone it!

So now I started FF8(The remastered version if that matters) and I hate it so far. This stupid "draw" system to get magic sucks. I basically spend the entire battle NOT killing things and trying to draw as much magic as I can because it makes my summon things(GF) stronger when I link them. This also makes me not really want to cast much during battle.

Sometimes when I cast cure it heals me for 300hp and other times 70hp, I cannot figure out why. You can "cast" from a monsters pool of magic, same one you draw from but that seems pointless. I am not a fan of the graphics either. It's like they wanted to try and make it modern and the angles and movement are just off.

I'm also told that monsters level with you and leveling is basically garbage in this game. It's 100% about the drawing magic to link it to my critters and make me powerful....and of course linking the right element/status effects to the right offensive/defense for the situation.

Am I missing something? I'll admit I am very early in the game but I am struggling to enjoy it. I tried just stopping the draw crap and pushing along but then I get absolutely rekt by stuff. I do shit dmg both physical and magical to things that seem to have infinite HP, at least anything that isn't a trash mob. I spend all fight using the GF or healing. Does it get easier? Should I be doing things differently? I swear I have fought things that I've done over 25k dmg to in a 10+ minute fight and they still don't die and eventually whittle me down or make me lose through attrition and lack of interest.

Anyone play this through or have thoughts on it? My little case of OCD wouldn't feel right skipping it so I a tempted to just put a guide up on the other screen and push through doing the bare minimum.

Ok, so. FF8.

Drawing sucks. What doesn't suck is playing Triple Triad for cards and refining those cards through GF abilities in to items and magic. Here's what you can do. Start a new game and run from everything in the first cave. Gain zero exp until you get put in a group with Seifer. Equip him with all of your GFs including Diablos (he's weak to his own Demi) and then knock unconcious the other characters. With only Seifer then grind until you unlock half encounter and zero encounter from Diablos. While you're doing this you'll also be unlocking Card and the different refinement skills. For the entire game you will never have a single random enounter. Boss encounters award no exp so you will never level and never have monsters leveling along with you. You can just go through the game doing the shit you want to do.

If you don't want to start over than go over to GameFaqs. Hell, if you do start over go to GameFaqs.

This is an A+ guide for Triple Triad. If you don't want to do all the shit you can do some of the shit and make the whole game a lot more enjoyable. Getting a few of the cards for main characters and just instantly refining them in to sweet items. Even just playing cards in the first area can get you really good shit. Give everyone 100 Tornado junctioned to strength, that kind of thing.

FF8 goes from being a pain in the ass to a quirky yet enjoyable entry in to the series once you stop fighting the mechanics. Play cards and navigate Triple Triad's rules such that you don't spread a bunch of awful rules and make it a mess and you'll be on easy street.

Chris

Potato del Grande
This stupid "draw" system to get magic sucks. I basically spend the entire battle NOT killing things and trying to draw as much magic as I can because it makes my summon things(GF) stronger when I link them. This also makes me not really want to cast much during battle.
Stop doing this, you are playing the game wrong.

The intended way is that you do a couple of draws per battle, do draw points and later refine items, so you gradually build up your magic stockpile.

The power gamer way is that you get the refine abilities from your GFs ASAP and turn items/cards into magic. For example Siren can turn Tents into Curaga.

What you seem to be missing is that GFs learn abilities that let you junction magic to stats, so you learn junction HP, link Curaga and now you have 3000HP. I hope you got Siren from Elvoret!

If you need cash for Tents, take the SeeD exams to get a larger paycheck, you can use a guide for those.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Drawing sucks. What doesn't suck is playing Triple Triad for cards and refining those cards through GF abilities in to items and magic. Here's what you can do. Start a new game and run from everything in the first cave. Gain zero exp until you get put in a group with Seifer. Equip him with all of your GFs including Diablos (he's weak to his own Demi) and then knock unconcious the other characters. With only Seifer then grind until you unlock half encounter and zero encounter from Diablos. While you're doing this you'll also be unlocking Card and the different refinement skills. For the entire game you will never have a single random enounter. Boss encounters award no exp so you will never level and never have monsters leveling along with you. You can just go through the game doing the shit you want to do.
This is an insane strategy to give to a new player who is not enjoying the game, it's some degenerate speedrun shit.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
This is an insane strategy to give to a new player who is not enjoying the game, it's some degenerate speedrun shit.

He's a big boy. He can handle it. I bought FF8 when it came out and hated it for like fifteen years. Grind for one hour with Seifer at the start, never level, play cards makes it actually enjoyable. If you try and play FF8 like you would FF7 you'll hate it and yourself. You don't even have to be that autistic. Just show up, get yourself half encounter no encounter, play some cards and go. Gaining a couple levels in the process is whatever. You can gain a couple on cactrots and it won't impact anything either.

But you have to play cards. Drawing 100 doubles for all three characters at that boss on your first mission is cancer aids. Drawing fucking sucks and it's a waste of your fucking time almost every single time you do it. Just play some cards and don't trash your rules in the process.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
He's a big boy. He can handle it. I bought FF8 when it came out and hated it for like fifteen years. Grind for one hour with Seifer at the start, never level, play cards makes it actually enjoyable. If you try and play FF8 like you would FF7 you'll hate it and yourself. You don't even have to be that autistic. Just show up, get yourself half encounter no encounter, play some cards and go. Gaining a couple levels in the process is whatever. You can gain a couple on cactrots and it won't impact anything either.

But you have to play cards. Drawing 100 doubles for all three characters at that boss on your first mission is cancer aids. Drawing fucking sucks and it's a waste of your fucking time almost every single time you do it. Just play some cards and don't trash your rules in the process.
Telling him to refine items and later cards is correct, it just doesn't need to be the most extreme speedrun version of that.

It's going to be more fun finding items and cards to refine yourself than following a guide, he just needs pointing in the right direction.

Last edited:

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Telling him to refine items and later cards is correct, it just doesn't need to be the most extreme speedrun version of that.

It's going to be more fun finding items and cards to refine yourself than following a guide, he just needs pointing in the right direction.

Going step by step with the card guide isn't necessary but it explains how to not shit up the rules you play by along with where big cards are. Doing that yourself blind on a game that's 25 years old that you're already not having a great time with is Not Worth.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Going step by step with the card guide isn't necessary but it explains how to not shit up the rules you play by along with where big cards are. Doing that yourself blind on a game that's 25 years old that you're already not having a great time with is Not Worth.
Easy Power Boost - Get Medical Item Refine from Siren and look at what shop bought curatives can make. Get the other Refine abilities from other GFs and play around with them.

Power Gamer - Get the Card ability and eventually Card Refine from Quezacotyl, then turn monsters into cards into items or play some random games for cards to turn into items, or google the players who give rare cards that become rare items and therefore high level magic. Depends how much you wanna do yourself.

Boring Guide Following - What you are saying with Seifer grinding Diabolos.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Easy Power Boost - Get Medical Item Refine from Siren and look at what shop bought curatives can make. Get the other Refine abilities from other GFs and play around with them.

Power Gamer - Get the Card ability and eventually Card Refine from Quezacotyl, then turn monsters into cards into items or play some random games for cards to turn into items, or google the players who give rare cards that become rare items and therefore high level magic. Depends how much you wanna do yourself.

Boring Guide Following - What you are saying with Seifer grinding Diabolos.

C'mon. Leveling up Card and the different refinement abilities on GFs is power gaming? It's either level those up, which you are able to start grinding in the first 15 minutes of the game, or using Draw and Draw fucking sucks.

I provided what I thought was the best advice I could which is exactly how I went from hating the game to liking it a decade and a half later. I used that exact card guide. It's fucking boss. What you have done is criticize my advice given to someone that asked for advice. How about you do what I did and write a couple paragraphs recommending how he can have a better time playing FF8. That way he'll have another point of view.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
What you have done is criticism my advice given to someone that asked for advice. How about you do what I did and write a couple paragraphs recommending how he can have a better time playing FF8. That way he'll have another point of view.
he's a teacher, those who can't do...

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
C'mon. Leveling up Card and the different refinement abilities on GFs is power gaming? It's either level those up, which you are able to start grinding in the first 15 minutes of the game, or using Draw and Draw fucking sucks.

I provided what I thought was the best advice I could which is exactly how I went from hating the game to liking it a decade and a half later. I used that exact card guide. It's fucking boss. What you have done is criticize my advice given to someone that asked for advice. How about you do what I did and write a couple paragraphs recommending how he can have a better time playing FF8. That way he'll have another point of view.
I have written out what to do: Siren. Refine. SeeD Exam. Tents. Junction HP. Then Experiment with other Refine abilities and Card.

Since every single fucking person complains about Draw, then yes, using Refine is a pro move. And yes I'm going to criticise someone for sugesting a low level run for a first playthrough.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah I'm on the side that disagrees with Arbitrary Arbitrary here, recommending that Seifer/Diabolos strat to a first time FF8 player is a bit much. Refining tents with Siren and junctioning the curewhatevers to hp should be more than enough to carry you along for a while and once you have card refine unlocked you can do the full triple triad dive.

• 1Solidarity

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I suggest a low level run because it sets you up to to be congruent with the mechanics of the game. Monsters level up as you level so advancement is hollow. Triple Triad is a primary source of magic, items and even abilities. Turning off random encounters puts the story front and center. Play some cards. Enjoy the story.

Hell, wherever he is in the game his life will get instantly better if he turns off random encounters and plays more cards. Traditional RPG play in FF8 is a total waste of time. Just upgrading your weapons is a pain in the dick without Triple Triad.