Final Fantasy I-VI Pixel Remaster Series

Chris

Potato del Grande
FF8 has the best monster design in the series, skipping that is a shame.

Low level playthrough also means that enemies don't use their higher level abilities or drop their higher level items, so now you have boring boss battles and have to use a guide more than usual to find the obsure card you need to get the items you need to upgrade.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
FF8 has the best monster design in the series, skipping that is a shame.

Low level playthrough also means that enemies don't use their higher level abilities or drop their higher level items, so now you have boring boss battles and have to use a guide more than usual to find the obsure card you need to get the items you need to upgrade.

Tell me you've never done a low level run without telling me you've never done a low level run.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Imply someone is wrong without actually saying anything is wrong.

Right. You haven't done a low level run. I'll help you out. The proper criticism of a low level run is it makes the game too easy. It's basically story mode.

edit - the monster design is indeed sweet, I loves me some Doomtrain

Last edited:

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Whoa man, I didn't mean to fire off the FF version of WW3 lol

I do appreciate the advice and I can handle being told I am doing it wrong. I think the most accurate comment was that I was trying to play the game like FF7 and thus not enjoying it. I am familiar with triple triad(card game) from FFXIV so I do get the basics of it, and maybe FF8 is simply not for me, but I was really hoping the card game would not be mandatory for beating/enjoying the game. Similar to how breeding choocoboo's is not mandatory for FF7 but it makes things easier and gets your access to stuff.

I do understand how to junction magic to stats, status effects, and elemental stuff. Honestly I don't have a major beef with that system. It is kind of neat and I might even say I enjoy the variety and customization it creates. What I did not like is the sitting there drawing spells from enemies over and over again and fighting in battles being a borderline penalty. Those are my two biggest grips.

Maybe it is because I did not know I could generate "draws"(spells) from cards or GF abilities yet, I have not gotten that far, so I thought the only way to get them was enemy draw.

I do appreciate the advice and while I have no interest in starting over to exploit some crazy power gamer 100% tactic, I will take the other advice to task and try to find a way to better focus my energies on the game because I would like to finish it. I stand by my, albeit subjective, opinion on the graphics/theme though.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Whoa man, I didn't mean to fire off the FF version of WW3 lol

I do appreciate the advice and I can handle being told I am doing it wrong. I think the most accurate comment was that I was trying to play the game like FF7 and thus not enjoying it. I am familiar with triple triad(card game) from FFXIV so I do get the basics of it, and maybe FF8 is simply not for me, but I was really hoping the card game would not be mandatory for beating/enjoying the game. Similar to how breeding choocoboo's is not mandatory for FF7 but it makes things easier and gets your access to stuff.

I do understand how to junction magic to stats, status effects, and elemental stuff. Honestly I don't have a major beef with that system. It is kind of neat and I might even say I enjoy the variety and customization it creates. What I did not like is the sitting there drawing spells from enemies over and over again and fighting in battles being a borderline penalty. Those are my two biggest grips.

Maybe it is because I did not know I could generate "draws"(spells) from cards or GF abilities yet, I have not gotten that far, so I thought the only way to get them was enemy draw.

I do appreciate the advice and while I have no interest in starting over to exploit some crazy power gamer 100% tactic, I will take the other advice to task and try to find a way to better focus my energies on the game because I would like to finish it. I stand by my, albeit subjective, opinion on the graphics/theme though.
Have you beaten Elvoret yet (Comms Tower Boss) and drawn Siren from it? Will help if we know where you are.

You can set your GFs to learn the Refine abilities right now and start generating magic that way, you can play the whole game without using Draw (other than using it to get new GFs).

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
I just did that and yes, I drew the siren. Interestingly not even due to a guide, just because I've trained my simpleton brain to draw on everything for new shit.

Now I went into some training forest and fought a T-REX for at least 15 minutes(not exaggerating), probably did over 25k damage to it and it still did not die. I am level 15, so I am guessing I fucked up on the leveling shit.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Those things suck in general.

edit - if you play more cards you can refine those cards in to items and then use those items to upgrade your weapons

The answer to every problem in FF8 is to play more cards.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Those things suck in general.

edit - if you play more cards you can refine those cards in to items and then use those items to upgrade your weapons

The answer to every problem in FF8 is to play more cards.

Yuk, can I beat the game without triple triad? I hated it in FF14

joz123

Potato del Grande
You can easily beat it without touching TT. Certain points you can fight stronger enemies and do the draw and run strategy for high level spells like tornado and shit to get higher stats.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I just did that and yes, I drew the siren. Interestingly not even due to a guide, just because I've trained my simpleton brain to draw on everything for new shit.

Now I went into some training forest and fought a T-REX for at least 15 minutes(not exaggerating), probably did over 25k damage to it and it still did not die. I am level 15, so I am guessing I fucked up on the leveling shit.
T-Rex is an intentionally an overlevelled mob, it's designed to teach you how to run away. So don't worry about it, it's like the Fel Reaver in WoW Burning Crusade or the Tree Sentinel in Elden Ring.

You can beat the game without cards, you need to choose one of:
1) Draw Spam
2) GF Item Refine
3) Card Refine

Using GF abilities to refine items is the best way if you just want to play the game. You can boost item drops with stuff like Steal or Card ability (turn enemy into a card, don't need to actually play).

My easy start is refining shop bought Tents into Curaga, get tent money from the SeeD Exams in the menu and wait until you get paid.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser

It's so much easier to just play TT for like an hour in that first garden. The guy at the front gate, play him until you get enough cards to refine three sets of 100 Tornado and then never look at it again.

Chris

Potato del Grande
It's so much easier to just play TT for like an hour in that first garden. The guy at the front gate, play him until you get enough cards to refine three sets of 100 Tornado and then never look at it again.
Stop suggesting mindless boring grinds lol. He's bored of grinding Draw, why would grinding specific endgame abilities or cards help?

FF8 is a fun game, the battle system means that it can be broken, but you don't need to do it by grinding things for hours.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Triple Triad is pretty much the best thing about 8.

Monster design is decent, not the best in the series, though.

• 1Slow
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Stop suggesting mindless boring grinds lol. He's bored of grinding Draw, why would grinding specific endgame abilities or cards help?

FF8 is a fun game, the battle system means that it can be broken, but you don't need to do it by grinding things for hours.

The fuck are you talking about? He's not having a good time now and he's not going to start having a good time doing what he's doing. There's a dude. He's at the front gate of the Balamb Garden. Balamb Garden is the first area of the game. You wake up there. This guy? You can play cards with him. One of the cards he has refines in to Tornado. It's not a unique or otherwise special card. That refinement ability comes from Quezacotl whom you get from Quistis. You get her at the immediate start of the game. You keep referring to shit you have access to at the game's start as power gaming or end game. They're not. By spending some time at the open you set yourself up for the entire rest of the game to be a whole lot more enjoyable. Just throwing on some music and playing cards for 45 minutes at the start makes an incredible difference.

If you take it a step further you'll come to the conclusion that FF8 is a card game with an RPG bolted on rather than an RPG with a card game bolted on.

edit - you junction Tornado into strength and never cast it

Last edited:

Siliconemelons

FF8 is a card game with an RPG bolted on rather than an RPG with a card game bolted on.

1708143276326.gif

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Ok, still playing through the FF's so I can get up to the latest.

Just finished FF7, which I did play back in the day. Overall the experience was the same and I did not bother to perfect play it or anything, just tried to enjoy the game but picking different characters than I did back when I was a kid. I was able to get beast mode pretty quickly to trivialize most of the content and I didn't even do it on purpose :(

Ohh well, not much to say since that is probably the most popular FF, glad to have redone it!

So now I started FF8(The remastered version if that matters) and I hate it so far. This stupid "draw" system to get magic sucks. I basically spend the entire battle NOT killing things and trying to draw as much magic as I can because it makes my summon things(GF) stronger when I link them. This also makes me not really want to cast much during battle.

Sometimes when I cast cure it heals me for 300hp and other times 70hp, I cannot figure out why. You can "cast" from a monsters pool of magic, same one you draw from but that seems pointless. I am not a fan of the graphics either. It's like they wanted to try and make it modern and the angles and movement are just off.

I'm also told that monsters level with you and leveling is basically garbage in this game. It's 100% about the drawing magic to link it to my critters and make me powerful....and of course linking the right element/status effects to the right offensive/defense for the situation.

Am I missing something?

FF8 dropped on the first day of high school for me so I have all this deep nostalgia for it (particularly the school setting of Balamb Garden) and how the uncertainty of the characters matched my own uncertainty with not being sure if I could handle this new school. So I really love FF8 for those reasons, but if I were to step back and look at it objectively, it really is one of the weakest FFs. Probably in the bottom third of the series if I were to rank them.

All of that said, people have probably already given you a ton of info, but I'll say that it's really important to not level grind in FF8. Just level normally and avoid battles if you feel like it. The enemies level up when you do, and if you get to the endgame at level 70 or so like I did the first time, you'll be boned because the end bosses will be way stronger. The game never tells you any of this so that's great. This also means that you can go in the other direction and get to the endgame at like level 10-20 and basically gimp the finale.

If you haven't leveled too much you should be fine. I wouldn't go above 30 ever in FF8 myself. Midway through the game you get access to an Encounter-None ability (I think from the Diablo GF) and once that's learned, I just avoid battles entirely for the rest of the game.

Drawing 99 of everything is also super unnecessary, just look for the key crucial spells that really up stats. Things like Double, Triple, Flare, Tornado, etc. Can get a lot of those from refining cards if you get into the card game, or draw them later on.

First time I played the game, at the end I was level 70ish and had been relying on GF summons for most of the game, so my character abilities sucked, stats weren't great, etc, and the endgame bosses steamrolled me. I somehow won after many many tries. Second time through, about two years later, I kept my levels low, turned off encounters for the second half or so of the game, and drew 99 Triple etc on everyone for their attack stats, along with whatever else gave a lot of stat points. Reached the final bosses at like level 22 with probably better stats than I had previously at level 70, this time I steamrolled them.

Ok, so. FF8.

Drawing sucks. What doesn't suck is playing Triple Triad for cards and refining those cards through GF abilities in to items and magic. Here's what you can do. Start a new game and run from everything in the first cave. Gain zero exp until you get put in a group with Seifer. Equip him with all of your GFs including Diablos (he's weak to his own Demi) and then knock unconcious the other characters. With only Seifer then grind until you unlock half encounter and zero encounter from Diablos. While you're doing this you'll also be unlocking Card and the different refinement skills. For the entire game you will never have a single random enounter. Boss encounters award no exp so you will never level and never have monsters leveling along with you. You can just go through the game doing the shit you want to do.

Didn't think of using Seifer to do all the skill-learning, that's brilliant for a full power-game. Only really available early on though.

I've got an FF8 Remastered save file that's pretty early (Timber, I think) where everyone is crazy powerful from playing Triple Triad and refining. I think I followed one of those PrimalLiquid guides on Youtube that tell you how to get ultra OP early in games.

I don't think he needs to mess with Triple Triad much on a first run, or completely overpower the game right out of the gate. Just keeping levels under control and keeping a lookout for good spell draws is key. Early on, Double is the best junctioning spell, so grab like 99 of those on all 3 of your chosen characters the first chance you get. Other than that I wouldn't sit and draw 99 of anything.

There any trick to beating Diabolos early on? I always have issues with that fight. Usually fight him with Laguna's group so I can hear the rad battle theme, usually takes me a few tries. And I think I usually get it close to the end of Disc 1, because I never have Encounter-None until some point in early Disc 2. Considering most people get him done way earlier than that, I'm probably missing something obvious.

I think the t-rex is like some kind of optional early superboss type thing that you don't have to fight. Also it's weak to either blind or sleep, can't remember.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
T-Rex is sleep, which is how I lasted 15+ min. I just couldn’t do enough dmg, probably because I don’t have stuff junctions correctly.

appreciate all the advice, I’ll try to suffer through it using the no encounter thing so I stop leveling. Maybe do the stupid card game a bit since I know the rules from ff14