Final Fantasy: Record Keeper - Mobile Gaming Cash Grab

Rajaah

Paperhands McGee
<Gold Donor>
59d 13h 52m
I think after a while FFRK kinda did require you to do gacha pulls if you wanted to "keep up". It got to the point where every event was throwing like 300 or 400 difficulty bosses at you. I never could beat anything worse than 240 or so because they got so OP that you'd end up doing chip damage. And this was with all level 99 characters and a ton of motes spent to beef them up even further, etc. But I mostly had 5 star equipment and the pulls were like, 7 or 8 star eventually. You could get by to an extent on the mythril the game gave you, like I did, but a ton of stuff was off limits. One of the reasons I drifted apart from it.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
42d 24m
L
iOS and Android are platforms that are extremely closed and complicated for emulation. They are closed ecosystems and unsigned applications would be hell to get working for casuals.

If you're not going to be taken offline by Square, it'll be by Apple or Google, two infinitely more powerful companies for bypassing their ecosystem to access data that was taken offline on their store already on their platform.

Emulation will increasingly hit these barriers. The reason why EQ, Warhammer, and most early00's-mid 10's MMORPGs are easy to emulate is the cost of hosting 100% ground-up servers without modifying the original binary, and ease of configuring clients to access entirely new hosting infrastructure.

No one will want to connect to a custom DNS for a cash grab mobile game. And as WoW emulators have shown, it only takes one idiot in these projects to try and monetize it and ruin it for everyone.

Making your own spiritual successor with the options you wish to see is a far more viable and profitable venture.
That's what the Nevergrind guys did, what Orna was to Pokemon Go, etc...
There doesn't need to be a real server that people log into since it's a one player game. It could be more like EQEmu than Project1999, so to speak. Just need to trick the client into thinking there's a server, that could be done on the local machine even sans internet connection, as long as the local machine had the database already, naw? But yeah I don't really have much of a grasp of the difference between Android and PC for this sort of thing.

All the data has already been datamined tho, the Reddit FFRK community datamined every single thing they could every time there was an update. All formulas for the combat systems have been reverse engineered too, etc., tho I don't think that little stuff would be needed.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
42d 24m
I think after a while FFRK kinda did require you to do gacha pulls if you wanted to "keep up". It got to the point where every event was throwing like 300 or 400 difficulty bosses at you. I never could beat anything worse than 240 or so because they got so OP that you'd end up doing chip damage. And this was with all level 99 characters and a ton of motes spent to beef them up even further, etc. But I mostly had 5 star equipment and the pulls were like, 7 or 8 star eventually. You could get by to an extent on the mythril the game gave you, like I did, but a ton of stuff was off limits. One of the reasons I drifted apart from it.
This was a rare game in that you could take the time to study strategies from the community to make up for lack of gear. But also the highest difficulty fights for the last few years have required you to bring MULTIPLE ATK/MAG boosts to do decent damage, so yeah, if you didn't have enough boosts/chains in a given realm/element, you could be screwed.

The game got SO MUCH more fun when they opened things up after the sunset announcement. Being able to buy Rubies / Sapphires / Artifact tokens / etc with Gyshal Greens made the game into what it always should have been. And a fan revival could be even so much better. 🤔

• 1Like
Reactions: Rajaah

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
L

There doesn't need to be a real server that people log into since it's a one player game. It could be more like EQEmu than Project1999, so to speak. Just need to trick the client into thinking there's a server, that could be done on the local machine even sans internet connection, as long as the local machine had the database already, naw? But yeah I don't really have much of a grasp of the difference between Android and PC for this sort of thing.

All the data has already been datamined tho, the Reddit FFRK community datamined every single thing they could every time there was an update. All formulas for the combat systems have been reverse engineered too, etc., tho I don't think that little stuff would be needed.
At that point... the game seems simple enough. Why not just remake it?

Chris

Potato del Grande
103d 5h 21m
Would it be easier to mod FFRK stuff into the actual 2D FF games?

Even just the spells and abilities would elevate some of them greatly.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
42d 24m
At that point... the game seems simple enough. Why not just remake it?
The FFRK engine is my favorite Final Fantasy battle system ever, seems like any effort on my part to remake it could only be worse heh.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
42d 24m
Would it be easier to mod FFRK stuff into the actual 2D FF games?

Even just the spells and abilities would elevate some of them greatly.
Putting FFRK sprites into the old games should be pretty trivial. Ability animations would be a lot harder. Editing the ability data (other than animations) to make custom characters / classes etc would be pretty easy, especially if you picked the right base game. I've been doing stuff like that since hacking my own GameShark codes for Tactics back in the day.

Chris

Potato del Grande
103d 5h 21m
Putting FFRK sprites into the old games should be pretty trivial. Ability animations would be a lot harder. Editing the ability data (other than animations) to make custom characters / classes etc would be pretty easy, especially if you picked the right base game. I've been doing stuff like that since hacking my own GameShark codes for Tactics back in the day.
I'd love to hack together my own game out of this but I'm probably lacking the time needed.

Does anyone know of a good starting point? Like some sort of public Unity template for 2D turn based RPG?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
42d 24m
I'd love to hack together my own game out of this but I'm probably lacking the time needed.

Does anyone know of a good starting point? Like some sort of public Unity template for 2D turn based RPG?
It would be really, really easy to put FFRK sprites into RPG Maker.