Final Fantasy: Record Keeper - Mobile Gaming Cash Grab

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I think after a while FFRK kinda did require you to do gacha pulls if you wanted to "keep up". It got to the point where every event was throwing like 300 or 400 difficulty bosses at you. I never could beat anything worse than 240 or so because they got so OP that you'd end up doing chip damage. And this was with all level 99 characters and a ton of motes spent to beef them up even further, etc. But I mostly had 5 star equipment and the pulls were like, 7 or 8 star eventually. You could get by to an extent on the mythril the game gave you, like I did, but a ton of stuff was off limits. One of the reasons I drifted apart from it.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
L
iOS and Android are platforms that are extremely closed and complicated for emulation. They are closed ecosystems and unsigned applications would be hell to get working for casuals.

If you're not going to be taken offline by Square, it'll be by Apple or Google, two infinitely more powerful companies for bypassing their ecosystem to access data that was taken offline on their store already on their platform.

Emulation will increasingly hit these barriers. The reason why EQ, Warhammer, and most early00's-mid 10's MMORPGs are easy to emulate is the cost of hosting 100% ground-up servers without modifying the original binary, and ease of configuring clients to access entirely new hosting infrastructure.

No one will want to connect to a custom DNS for a cash grab mobile game. And as WoW emulators have shown, it only takes one idiot in these projects to try and monetize it and ruin it for everyone.

Making your own spiritual successor with the options you wish to see is a far more viable and profitable venture.
That's what the Nevergrind guys did, what Orna was to Pokemon Go, etc...
There doesn't need to be a real server that people log into since it's a one player game. It could be more like EQEmu than Project1999, so to speak. Just need to trick the client into thinking there's a server, that could be done on the local machine even sans internet connection, as long as the local machine had the database already, naw? But yeah I don't really have much of a grasp of the difference between Android and PC for this sort of thing.

All the data has already been datamined tho, the Reddit FFRK community datamined every single thing they could every time there was an update. All formulas for the combat systems have been reverse engineered too, etc., tho I don't think that little stuff would be needed.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I think after a while FFRK kinda did require you to do gacha pulls if you wanted to "keep up". It got to the point where every event was throwing like 300 or 400 difficulty bosses at you. I never could beat anything worse than 240 or so because they got so OP that you'd end up doing chip damage. And this was with all level 99 characters and a ton of motes spent to beef them up even further, etc. But I mostly had 5 star equipment and the pulls were like, 7 or 8 star eventually. You could get by to an extent on the mythril the game gave you, like I did, but a ton of stuff was off limits. One of the reasons I drifted apart from it.
This was a rare game in that you could take the time to study strategies from the community to make up for lack of gear. But also the highest difficulty fights for the last few years have required you to bring MULTIPLE ATK/MAG boosts to do decent damage, so yeah, if you didn't have enough boosts/chains in a given realm/element, you could be screwed.

The game got SO MUCH more fun when they opened things up after the sunset announcement. Being able to buy Rubies / Sapphires / Artifact tokens / etc with Gyshal Greens made the game into what it always should have been. And a fan revival could be even so much better. 🤔

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
L

There doesn't need to be a real server that people log into since it's a one player game. It could be more like EQEmu than Project1999, so to speak. Just need to trick the client into thinking there's a server, that could be done on the local machine even sans internet connection, as long as the local machine had the database already, naw? But yeah I don't really have much of a grasp of the difference between Android and PC for this sort of thing.

All the data has already been datamined tho, the Reddit FFRK community datamined every single thing they could every time there was an update. All formulas for the combat systems have been reverse engineered too, etc., tho I don't think that little stuff would be needed.
At that point... the game seems simple enough. Why not just remake it?

Chris

Potato del Grande
Would it be easier to mod FFRK stuff into the actual 2D FF games?

Even just the spells and abilities would elevate some of them greatly.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
At that point... the game seems simple enough. Why not just remake it?
The FFRK engine is my favorite Final Fantasy battle system ever, seems like any effort on my part to remake it could only be worse heh.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Would it be easier to mod FFRK stuff into the actual 2D FF games?

Even just the spells and abilities would elevate some of them greatly.
Putting FFRK sprites into the old games should be pretty trivial. Ability animations would be a lot harder. Editing the ability data (other than animations) to make custom characters / classes etc would be pretty easy, especially if you picked the right base game. I've been doing stuff like that since hacking my own GameShark codes for Tactics back in the day.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Putting FFRK sprites into the old games should be pretty trivial. Ability animations would be a lot harder. Editing the ability data (other than animations) to make custom characters / classes etc would be pretty easy, especially if you picked the right base game. I've been doing stuff like that since hacking my own GameShark codes for Tactics back in the day.
I'd love to hack together my own game out of this but I'm probably lacking the time needed.

Does anyone know of a good starting point? Like some sort of public Unity template for 2D turn based RPG?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I'd love to hack together my own game out of this but I'm probably lacking the time needed.

Does anyone know of a good starting point? Like some sort of public Unity template for 2D turn based RPG?
It would be really, really easy to put FFRK sprites into RPG Maker.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Damn I miss this game. Could play the JP version I guess but that doesn't really sound that appealing. I have yet to find another English language mobile game that scratches the same itch tho. What have you guys moved on to?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Damn I miss this game. Could play the JP version I guess but that doesn't really sound that appealing. I have yet to find another English language mobile game that scratches the same itch tho. What have you guys moved on to?

Nothing unfortunately. Or maybe that is fortunate cause FFRK could be really time-consuming if you let it be. But yeah, I didn't find anything else to replace it per se, aside from single-player Final Fantasy phone games.

Final Fantasy Dimensions is a super good phone game if you haven't heard of it. There's a sequel too, but it looks like a completely different game genre entirely and I don't know if it's any good. FF Dimensions 1 though is a pretty high-quality spinoff that functions as a bit of a spiritual successor to FF5. Has classes that you unlock more of by getting crystals and so on. I only played the first couple hours of FFD myself but I recommend it to someone who likes the mainline FFs and needs a phone game.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Rajaah Rajaah I haven't finished Final Fantasy Dimensions yet but I've played quite a bit of it. Definitely an awesome game. Wish I could play it with a proper controller tho.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
FGO, super casual for a little over a week.

Seems like a really solid candidate for free play. One of the worst gachas in the entire industry, and a game balanced around not needing a full lineup of ultra-rares to progress anyway.

Chris

Potato del Grande
FF7 Ever Crisis is out today, looks like it's the same as FFRK but just FF7 games and 3D graphics im the style of a HD remake of the original FF7.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The high end content is simply too hard. That’s not, necessarily, a bad thing but there’s nothing in between faceroll easy and tough as nails hard. 6 star magicite, Dreambreakers, and White Odin simply are not fun. They’re extremely unforgiving and require precise setups to even attempt. The amount of crap that you need to overcome is absolutely ridiculous.

I honestly can’t believe that DeNA spends so many resources creating this content. I’m positive that a tiny fraction of the player base actually completes these fights. Obviously Reddit and discord are outliers because the more hardcore players gather there but these fights are simply out of reach for the average player.

This right here is why I stopped playing the game. Never seen a game have so much "difficulty bloat" for lack of a better term.

Edit: Ever Crisis is out today? Anyone else playing it? Had no idea it was gonna be out this soon. Been needing a phone game since I'm rarely home so this is perfect timing.

Last edited:

Chris

Potato del Grande
Edit: Ever Crisis is out today? Anyone else playing it? Had no idea it was gonna be out this soon. Been needing a phone game since I'm rarely home so this is perfect timing.
I just downloaded it and it's actually live tomorrow, they just put it on the store so you can download it ready.

The game literally seems like FFRK in gameplay with a weapon gatcha.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Ok... Ever Crisis is a cut down version of FF7 with lots of added loading screens. Noped out of it pretty quickly.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Looked it up and there's an exploration aspect to it? Nope, no thanks. That's the #1 reason I didn't stick with Brave Exvius. Just give me combat please.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
So it isn't the straight Compilation of FF7 remake/reimagining I was hoping for, but also isn't the straight-battle FFRK style game I'd also accept... it's some weird middle ground.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
I do miss record keeper big time. But never played anything ff7 beyond the original game.

I only played this new thing on my iPad for maybe an hour or so today but it seemed ok. It’s 100% an iPad/iPhone game with the “auto” mode and all that shit. But not terrible on the surface.

my prediction is that I play it for a few weeks then hit the paywall or stupid part of it like every iPhone game in existence, but since it is free I don’t really care. I’ll never spend a dollar.

side question: does everyone generally watch the little videoed/read the quests in games like this or just skip? I’m not sure if I have become a victim of the instant gratification stage of life or what but anything on the iPad I just skip skip skip. But when I actually sit down to play a real game I will actually watch all the videos or read all the dialogue. Maybe it’s because I pay more for those games or expect more or something? Not sure. But if it’s on an iPad or iPhone I am not reading the dialogue