Final Fantasy VII Remake

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Heh. They are gonna keep the worst thing which was the Materia, the best thing which is the storyline, and who knows what the gameplay will be like. Hopefully the also smooth out the end-game power curve where it's not "do you have KotR/Mime": yes/no?

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I have personally little interest in replaying FFVII if it is just updated visually, so I welcome these Nomura quotes with cautious optimism, but I guess others could feel differently:The Final Fantasy VII Remake Wont Be Exactly the Same
I'm with you. I won't buy it, if it's simply a visual update. I can just play FF7 on tons of other other platforms. They need to add some stuff to it.

Goonsquad Officer
Heh. They are gonna keep the worst thing which was the Materia, the best thing which is the storyline
I LOVED mixing and matching and working up materia. I've always wanted the materia system to be used again in any capacity, but JRPG's seem too steeped in disposing of their old system/setting/stories each time in order to....spend more time to make games i guess?

the grind at the very end to get enough materia to kill the weapons is a bitch, but it's literally unnecessary aside from completion because if you can kill emerald/ruby, you'll accidentally kill sepheroth with a counter attack combo.

I love the setting to death, and the overarching ancients/planet/cetra plot line, but man i got sick of following sepheroths turd trail around the setting
smile.png

Raes

Vyemm Raider
The materia system was my favorite, too. Was a little grindy leveling them, but there were some plant things on some island somewhere that were easy kills for really good xp, so not that bad, and I wanted to get max level because it wassupposedto make the end game harder, LOL.

The red weapon was a pain, needed the rng to leave your guy with the right materia (yeah, kotr/mime) to be last man standing, so quite a few restarts there. Then the damn green one, I kept forgetting to equip the waterbreathing materia, but would go for it anyway, and ended up beating him within the time limit after 5 or 6 tries.

Sephiroth was such a joke, killed him in one Omnislash, just cuz I love that ability, not cuz it was necessary.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Because it was great, and it still is a epic game. Had some great parody moments, and a ton of really bad ass twists and turns in the story.
Not to mention the combat system was un like any RPG that was being produced back then. A fighting game/turn based hybrid.

The art was also really good.

Just need Arc Systems to take the tech they used for Guilty Gear XRD and port it over to this new system.

FYI im not a big fan of all the other Xeno games. I don't even consider them a part of the original game.
Legend of Legaia came out the same year and had a much deeper combat system, but the rest of your points stand. However, Xenogears (while still one of my favorite games ever) wasn't finished when it was released, and the second disc is one of the bigger disappointments in memory. The ending itself wasn't bad at all, but having storytime and not being able to access the overworld map was a pretty huge negative.

I never played the Xenosaga games after the first one, because the first one was incredibly disappointing, but from what I understand the second was decent and the third was really good. But man, that first one soured my thoughts on the series pretty hardcore.

Sidian

Lord Nagafen Raider
Shit, I'd still pay full price is it was purely the same game, same storyline, same everything but just looked amazing. I don't even know what I'm actually hoping for...same game, same game with minor tweaks, same game with more end game / optional content, completely new game, shit, I'd pay full price for them all I think lol.

Turn based battle better stay. To be honest, turn based battle IS final fantasy.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Shit, I'd still pay full price is it was purely the same game, same storyline, same everything but just looked amazing. I don't even know what I'm actually hoping for...same game, same game with minor tweaks, same game with more end game / optional content, completely new game, shit, I'd pay full price for them all I think lol.

Turn based battle better stay. To be honest, turn based battle IS final fantasy.
My thinking as well. I do not want the horrible paradigm systems or the gambit system from 12. I'd welcome a more tactical turn based system, but I certainly hope they are not remaking it with the adhd generation of gamers of today in mind, that flip out unless they are constantly moving and pressing buttons where the angst rises with cut scenes that make them unable to press buttons. Character driven, story based, cut scene heavy and turn based. These things should be in all FF games.

Like others have mentioned, I also enjoyed the materia system. Added an extra dimension of loot and customization. They are welcome to upgrade the system and make it larger, but certainly hope they don't remove it. It's the best magic system they have had.

Unlike Mist that looks at the statements with optimism, I go the other way considering Square has managed to put out 3 titles of the worst FF game featuring the worst combat system. They even managed to mess up something as awesome as the summoning system. Shiva as a motor cycle. I hope the person who wanted that, agreed with it and implemented it are nowhere near the FF 7 team. I really hope they don't think the gameplay system of FF 13 is the evolution the gameplay of the FF games should have taken and implement that in FF 7.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Tidus wasn't a main character. He was completely irrelevant to the whole goddamn story. You could have deleted him from the game and it wouldn't change a thing, just like removing Vaan and Penelo probably wouldn't have changed a thing about FF12.
Tidus cockblocks Seymor, makes the party more rebellious in terms of accepting Yuna's inevitable death/Machina as a forbidden thing, and is central to the Sin mystery plot (what is Sin, how did this happen and how is it Jecht?). He is a very strong protagonist in terms of explaining WTF is happening in this world (since he is from the radically different "past") and as an outsider getting to know party members who already know each other very well.

Vaan I can't remember influencing any aspect of the plot since he was never supposed to exist in the original script, same with Penelo. They don't help explaining anything to the player either since best character Balthier explains everything to everyone like they are children anyway.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Tidus cockblocks Seymor, makes the party more rebellious in terms of accepting Yuna's inevitable death/Machina as a forbidden thing, and is central to the Sin mystery plot (what is Sin, how did this happen and how is it Jecht?). He is a very strong protagonist in terms of explaining WTF is happening in this world (since he is from the radically different "past") and as an outsider getting to know party members who already know each other very well.
Gay explanation that doesn't make Tidus any less of a horrible, unimportant character.

Got it.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
There's honestly no reason to argue who was the main character in most of the FFs, as they tend to switch depending on narrative. Terra was the "main" character for 6, in that she was the initial viewpoint. But when it all boils down to it, the main characters are probably Locke and Celes. They have the most to gain/lose in the majority of interactions, so shouldn't they be main characters?

Basically, FF10 had Tidus as the primary viewpoint, and he was very integral to how the story played out. He was definitely the main character, as without his influence the story would have ended with Yuna sacrificing herself to prolong the Calm. The Indiana Jones comparisons don't make any sense, as the result was independent of the stimuli in that specific case. Open box: melt face. The end. Tidus changed the course of the narrative by being a part of it.

Vaan has much less impact, as his whole point is just being a guy whose brother died while serving in the military of a kingdom under fire. He's along for the ride, and does not take away or add to the experience with his presence. Huge difference, in my opinion.

That said, Ashe is the closest thing to a main character 12 had, and her shit was a dream from the getgo. The fact that she still went forward with her plans after the Occulus meeting is absurd in every respect, and makes absolutely no sense. For 12, there were no main characters.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Please, the main character of 12 was obviously Balthier, rolling around with his airship and bunny girl prostitute.

The idea that Yuna would have sacrificed herself to bring a new Calm without Titus around seems like a bit of a stretch.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
5 is not a very good game either. Very disjointed with a hard to follow story, even by the standards of Final Fantasy. The job system made all the characters ultra bland too.

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Sean would be sad at all of you. XENOGEARS mother fuckers, they need to remake this and put out a fully finished 3rd CD!!!! Best RPG ever.
I have tried to start Xenogears like 6 times in my life and never made it past an hour or so.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
I played through Xenogears years ago. I remember the first half of the game was pretty good. The second half wasn't very fun. It was 95% story and 5% game. It's obvious that there was stuff cut to get the game out. Overall I was left unsatisfied.

I played through the entire Xenosaga series. Again it was 75% story and 25% game. I remember there were chunks of upward an hour at a time where I had no control over the "game" other than pressing the X button to advance dialogue. It was a solid story but the game aspects were lacking. I also remember that the game was in 3 parts but was originally intended to be in 6 I believe. So they cut a lot to get the game in a "complete" state.

As for the 10 nonsense. Without Tidus being there, Yuna would have killed herself to prolong the Calm. No question about it. Even Auron (who knew the truth) was prepared to let her do that until Tidus came along and said "fuck that shit." And you forget that one of the main driving forces of the whole game is that Tidus is trying to prove himself to his father who became Sin. Lose Tidus and the entire plot changes.