Final Fantasy VII Remake

Cybsled

Mega Ultra Spoilers - Do not click this if you're playing the game right now or plan to and don't want to get spoiled

So are all bets off now? Seems like they basically are going with a new timeline at the end, which means no one will know 100% what to expect anymore

Rude

Potato del Grande
Mega Ultra Spoilers - Do not click this if you're playing the game right now or plan to and don't want to get spoiled

So are all bets off now? Seems like they basically are going with a new timeline at the end, which means no one will know 100% what to expect anymore
It's stupid that it's even a spoiler. Given how the game wasn't advertised as such.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
My game glitched and then crashed on the Chapter 11 boss. The arms grabbed me and then it glitched me out of the boss room which triggered the next cutscene, i watched that and afterwards it warped me below where the room once out of bounds. The boss was still attacking me but zero lightning effects and i was running around trying to clip back in when it froze and hard crashed.

The autosave was out of bounds, Retry from before Last Battle put me back in the room against the boss. Trying to beat it again. (Retry from last Checkpoint was in the glitched under area you shouldn't reach yet.)

edit: appears to be working properly now. The cutscene was not the next in sequence it was like 2 more down the line triggered by a location right under the boss room. I cleared the boss, advanced the main story, did the crane, then got back to the location normally and it registered as playing the cutscene already, gave me the dialogue after it and then is continuing on as normal

Last edited:

spronk

FPS noob
i'm really glad i grabbed this, about 8 hours /played so far and just getting into chapter 5 and I am loving it. The characters are awesome and just light and silly but so endearing, I miss those kind of characters vs the grimdark edgy "must appeal to everyone" NPCs of modern day RPGs. Jessie and Tifa are S-tier waifu material so far. No real complaints other than not really loving the combat (normal) so far. Its not awful but I don't feel like I am really good at it, gotta watch some videos or something because the difficulty is starting to ramp up.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Malakriss

Well my assess on the boss that bugged never registered, I did it for the one after and it had a nice red text "Can obtain a weapon for Aerith with Steal." good thing i had the materia on.

Loaded into next chapter without issue.

Merrith

Not trying to read spoilers, but they definitely made no secret is wasn't going to just be vanilla remake awhile ago.

Final Fantasy VII Remake details: reason for multi-part release, CyberConnect2 collaboration, more - Gematsu

Nomura: “In addition to delving into these episodes more deeply, we’re preparing a number of mechanisms and such. To those who played the original version will know the important parts and understand the story from the beginning to the end. Also for these people, I hope that they can be surprised once again.”

Kitase: “I don’t want the remake to end as something solely nostalgic. I want to get the fans of the original version excited. We’ll be making adjustments to the story with this thought in mind.”

That's from way back in 2015.

• 1Dislike
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
The way nobody recognizes them is pretty weird. Shinra could easily just put security footage of them on the news and instantly put everyone on high alert. They don't, because...plot armor?

It'll be interesting if they explain this in the remake. Something like President Shinra saying that they don't actually want to capture the leader of Avalanche because as long as he's out there they can keep using him as a boogeyman to keep people afraid and keep people enlisting in the military.
It's shown in the game. After you blow up the first reactor, it blows up even worse because Shinra has all of their machines shoot everything to make it worse than it would have been. Jessie blames herself for using too volatile of an explosive agent, but it wasn't even that. They control the bomb in the second reactor and still make it go off. Then blame Avalanche as terrorists conspiring with Wutai.

I'm only on chapter 9, but in the original game they use Avalanche as a scapegoat for blowing the pillars on one of the slices. They're being typical fascists trying to control the slums, keep the people afraid, and the people on top also afraid. Blaming Wutai in this game seems weirdly different. I can't recall if that was a factor in the original.

Other notes... I would put it in Jessie's butt. She's my favorite. In the original I was a huge fan of Aerith, and really liked the Tifa backstory. In this one Tifa is a bit weird, and Aerith is downright annoying. Cloud is also more of a do-gooder, and way less moody, dark, emo. He says all sorts of inspiring shit when he used to just not say shit. It's not enough to be off-putting, but it does seem counter to the character.

Roche and the bike scene and mechanics was complete trash.

Side quests are fortunately limited, and usually short. Everything is lengthened by pretty well voice acted dialog and conversation.

Fighting is annoying. I've gotten it figured out, but it's just dumb. Camera targeting is trash. Any kind of fight where you're in close quarters or the mobs like to hug walls, causing your attacks to just hit the fucking wall is tiring.

Difficulty? I'd say it's relatively easy, as I've done zero farming to level anything. I do have to use a consistent stream of potions which is funny since I almost never used any in the original. Reno was the only fight so far that was in anyway a challenge, and only because I'd never had to use Guard. Just guard an attack, counter, guard again, use ability, wait for limit; stage 2, so the same but also dodge fire. Rude was hilariously easy. Rocket bomb turrets in the tunnels before the second reactor almost wiped me.

Are they getting rid of Moogles?

Where's the absurd monsters? Like the house looking thing that shoots rockets. There hasn't been much diversity in enemies. Big boss fights are probably way too chaotic and ADHD. You don't even get a second to enjoy their amazing artwork, or effects.

The ATB bars take up like a microscopic section of the screen. But I mean, the original took up 1/3 of the whole screen. Tradeoffs. Anyone tried Classic yet? I want to finish on Normal the whole way before I dick with the difficulty.

This is almost a completely different game. It's got the setting, the characters, materia, weapons, and relative plot, but it's all different. Even the music feels like a shadow of itself.

Barret humming the victory tune after winning battles got an honest laugh out of me. Probably my personal highlight of the game.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Merrith

Going to disagree about the music, I love how a lot of it is just slightly different but still completely recognizable. Tifa's Theme on every jukebox, though. I'm in Chapter 8, been trying to pace myself (and too many friends wanting me to play squads on CoD). Loving the combat, usually just use shortcuts on minor shit, but actual tactical mode and inputting for everyone in the party (when it's more than just Cloud) on bosses to really max out stagger and what not.

One thing nobody mentioned was the weapon upgrade system, which is a nice addition. The fact you can use the Chadley kid to reset all your SP lets you try out different builds, and they even let you automate upgrades if you want slanted towards Attack, Defense, or Balanced if you for whatever reason find it all too confusing.

It's weird, you can sort of go out of your way in Chapters 3 and 4 to "grind" a little by running through the "monster areas", but there really isn't any need to. Doing sidequests seems to make you if not over-leveled than sufficiently beefy.

Doesn't really "feel" like a different game yet at all. Obviously it looks amazing compared to the original, and just in general (random doors that people like Ut fixate on aside). But they nail the old characters for me, Cloud maybe a little less of a dick much earlier given this is just part 1, but it doesn't feel wrong because of his interactions with the new stars...Jessie, Biggs, and Wedge.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I heard that Cloud and Aerith are voice-acted by people who have never voice acted before in a game, which would be pretty impressive because I think they are voiced very well.

I personally love the game. I played original FF7 before this, and this seems like the same thing but much more backstory and much more behind the scenes stuff. There are notable changes for sure, like the moogles (that is weird) and I agree that roche was a stupid scene in Ch 4. Typical over the top japanese stuff. House rocket thing was amazing, I loved that boss lol.

Music is A+

Edit: The only part of the characters that is ruining for me, is their constant need to cuss. I mean, it's fine and all, but it takes away from the innocent nostalgia of the time, and seems overly unnecessary, just like SJW stuff in games. It's like it's forced, and there are many other dialog options. Being called a punk ass bitch by the weapon vendor is just eye-rolling.

• 1Dislike

Chris

Potato del Grande
It's shown in the game. After you blow up the first reactor, it blows up even worse because Shinra has all of their machines shoot everything to make it worse than it would have been. Jessie blames herself for using too volatile of an explosive agent, but it wasn't even that. They control the bomb in the second reactor and still make it go off. Then blame Avalanche as terrorists conspiring with Wutai.

I'm only on chapter 9, but in the original game they use Avalanche as a scapegoat for blowing the pillars on one of the slices. They're being typical fascists trying to control the slums, keep the people afraid, and the people on top also afraid. Blaming Wutai in this game seems weirdly different. I can't recall if that was a factor in the original.

Other notes... I would put it in Jessie's butt. She's my favorite. In the original I was a huge fan of Aerith, and really liked the Tifa backstory. In this one Tifa is a bit weird, and Aerith is downright annoying. Cloud is also more of a do-gooder, and way less moody, dark, emo. He says all sorts of inspiring shit when he used to just not say shit. It's not enough to be off-putting, but it does seem counter to the character.

Roche and the bike scene and mechanics was complete trash.

Side quests are fortunately limited, and usually short. Everything is lengthened by pretty well voice acted dialog and conversation.

Fighting is annoying. I've gotten it figured out, but it's just dumb. Camera targeting is trash. Any kind of fight where you're in close quarters or the mobs like to hug walls, causing your attacks to just hit the fucking wall is tiring.

Difficulty? I'd say it's relatively easy, as I've done zero farming to level anything. I do have to use a consistent stream of potions which is funny since I almost never used any in the original. Reno was the only fight so far that was in anyway a challenge, and only because I'd never had to use Guard. Just guard an attack, counter, guard again, use ability, wait for limit; stage 2, so the same but also dodge fire. Rude was hilariously easy. Rocket bomb turrets in the tunnels before the second reactor almost wiped me.

Are they getting rid of Moogles?

Where's the absurd monsters? Like the house looking thing that shoots rockets. There hasn't been much diversity in enemies. Big boss fights are probably way too chaotic and ADHD. You don't even get a second to enjoy their amazing artwork, or effects.

The ATB bars take up like a microscopic section of the screen. But I mean, the original took up 1/3 of the whole screen. Tradeoffs. Anyone tried Classic yet? I want to finish on Normal the whole way before I dick with the difficulty.

This is almost a completely different game. It's got the setting, the characters, material, weapons, and relative plot, but it's all different. Even the music feels like a shadow of itself.

Barret humming the victory tune after winning battles got an honest laugh out of me. Probably my personal highlight of the game.
From what I can tell, the enemy selection is identical to the original. A few things from later on like Bombs show up too.

Weird stuff like the Hell House you mention are in, but are usually bosses or mini bosses.

Later on there will be Brain Pots, whack a mole hammer turrets and flying buzzsaw eels.

Moogles were never in FF7 other than Choco/Mog summon, which is in the game, and a Moogle Dating videogame at Gold Saucer.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I don't know who clouds voice is, bit aerith's is a YouTuber, Strange Rebel Gaming.

• 1Like

Merrith

The Roche shit was a little over the top, but it works for being an early antagonist and felt the bike scene was a lot better than the original (nothing special, but the original was as basic as it gets).

One thing I noticed, while it is cool to be able to see the materia in their slots on weapons, when you upgrade a weapon to add a new materia slot, it isn't visible.

Didn't realize those two had never VA before. I mean a lot of it is campy shit, but it's done pretty well.

• 1Like

Lenas

Trump's Staff
The only part of the characters that is ruining for me, is their constant need to cuss. I mean, it's fine and all, but it takes away from the innocent nostalgia of the time, and seems overly unnecessary, just like SJW stuff in games. It's like it's forced, and there are many other dialog options. Being called a punk ass bitch by the weapon vendor is just eye-rolling.
Idk feels realistic to me when it happens except for that one moment. Especially when Aerith says, "Shit!"

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

I'm only on chapter 9, but in the original game they use Avalanche as a scapegoat for blowing the pillars on one of the slices. They're being typical fascists trying to control the slums, keep the people afraid, and the people on top also afraid. Blaming Wutai in this game seems weirdly different. I can't recall if that was a factor in the original

Blaming Wutai is an interesting part of the new story. IIRC Wutai might be the one part of the FF7 world that Shinra doesn't exert control over in some way, I guess because they successfully defended themselves in the war. So it makes sense that Shinra would want to drum up support for a second attempt to invade Wutai by telling people they're behind the terrorism.

Also think it's interesting the way Shinra is following the terrorists around and making their attacks significantly worse. Reminds me of all the 9/11 conspiracy theories that the buildings were rigged to collapse beforehand by whoever knew it would happen, just to make them more devastating. Here I thought the FF7 Remake would shy away from anything remotely 9/11-like, not lean into it.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I love the game so far, all the new content mostly feels like pretty logical or reasonable expansion. Roche was dumb but if you ever played Crisis Core on the PSP it's basically a page right out of that games book.

The one thing I didn't like was that in one of Clouds "flashbacks" early in the game there is a frame of him seeing Aeriths materia falling, we all know what scene that's from and it hasn't happened yet. I think that the decision to make this potentially some sort of time travel sequel is a huge blunder but is pretty par for the course for Square, hopefully by the end of the final one it hasn't spiraled into something unrecognizable.

Siliconemelons

Did the demo... yeah didn't remember shinra making the reactor blow up worse... also I interpreted it as their bomb didn't dent the thing...Even after later scorpion messed it all up.

Classic combat is "normal" but if you leave it be you will normal attack and defend automatically - and it pauses when you do an ATB action (yes the at bar is microscopic on 4k)

It looked great... cloud's brain being messed up is presented better.

Per the spoiler stuff...stupid... they already added a FF7 x2 ability with genesis in CrisisCore...

The combat feels like CrisisCore with random dudes following you around acting like chickens with no head.

Cybsled

This arrangement in the game is a little odd (remix of the wall market theme), but I like it lol. It's a catchy bop

Last edited:
  • 1Like