Final Fantasy VII Remake

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
You literally had to go out of your way to not trivialize FFT.
That really isn't true. Most techniques required a bit of work to get. If you aren't grinding or JP scroll glitching, it's late game before you have a god calculator and you had to level up with a garbage class.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I still use Agrias even when I don't use other unique characters because she's well balanced. Mustadio is OP as fuck, especially when you master engineer, switch him to alchemist with snipe secondary, and manage to steal one of the elemental guns.

Orlandu is OP because of how ridiculously hard hitting Sword Saint abilities are. Meliadoul is OP because while she only has Divine Knight abilities, they still hit hard and cause extra hp loss from equipment destruction. Her main drawback being that she doesn't do shit to monsters or humans with gear in the slot she's attacking, but they changed that in the remake. Rafa and Malak suck because their abilities are too random. Beowulf was op in an indirect kind of way, like the 100% chickens, Reis was a pita, so was Worker 8. Cloud sucks because of how long his limit breaks take to charge.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
That really isn't true. Most techniques required a bit of work to get. If you aren't grinding or JP scroll glitching, it's late game before you have a god calculator and you had to level up with a garbage class.
Uh, anyone with more than two braincells to rub together saw "Gained JP Up" on the squire class and went "Hey that's probably cool" and then accelerated the skill acquirement of every single character. Which opens classes, which opens abilities, which opens builds. And since the Accumulate ability basically says "increases attack" on it, you know that people tried it and noticed that they gained jp/xp for using the ability.

Being OP is programmed into the game by default. You really do have to play against the game to not be overpowered. Or be incredibly unobservant, either or.

I have no idea what this JP scroll glitch is, but given the tools the starting class makes available to you, it takes an especially bad player to not realize what they are working with.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
So going into a non-story battle with the intention of grinding out abilities is failing to "go out of your way" to trivialize FFT.

If you played straight through the game and didn't know particular tricks it was fucking hard as balls until the game hands you Orlandu.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I never really used Calculators. I was too busy with my Ramza squire with Blade Grasp who took no damage from any sources and moved at the pace of a race car.

The only time I used Calculators was on another special playthrough where the only characters I'd use were ones that I mediated over with a Mediator Ramza and would not change their jobs or multiclass them ever. In the optional end-game dungeon you could Mediate over I think level 80+ Calcs.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
I guess its been too long since I've played, I don't remember having to charge cloud's limit breaks and just continually using that limit break that gave an enemy every negative status ailment in the game including petrify and it couldn't miss. It was his second to last limit break I believe and I remember thinking he sucked too until I discovered its not his final limit break that is op.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Oh yeah sure, I'm sure you just stumbled into the strategy for 97 Brave Blade Grasp.
No shit, the first time I played through the game, the only time I looked something up was how to beat the Wiegraf fight. Did everything else just kinda fumbling my way through and the game was damn hard.

Until I got Orlandu.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Oh yeah sure, I'm sure you just stumbled into the strategy for 97 Brave Blade Grasp.
I did? I played FFT pretty shortly after its release so there wasn't exactly a huge wealth of information to find out this stuff. Not to mention I can't even recall if I had broadband internet back then to look shit up. I even recall when I realized you could pretty easily break the game was because I was struggling on the 1v1 battle and my game save was in a way I had no option but to enter the 1v1 battle. After trying shit out I eventually classed Ramza back to Squire and ran my ass around Shouting at myself and then just killed the dude with 5 turns in a row and I went "Well that seems good." Then I just happened to throw Blade Grasp on him and then I went "Well I guess he doesn't die now." This is even after I got the disk from my friend who also thought the game as stupid easy and told me not to use any of the special characters unless I was forced to do it. So yes two middle school kids found the game stupidly easy.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Those only enter into battle saves were the worst, I remember my brother in law having a heck of a time at the battle where they are about to execute one of the characters. It is a tough fight and he was a bit under leveled for it with nowhere else to go.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Those only enter into battle saves were the worst, I remember my brother in law having a heck of a time at the battle where they are about to execute one of the characters. It is a tough fight and he was a bit under leveled for it with nowhere else to go.
Learned fast and early in FFT that you must have more than one recent save.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
So going into a non-story battle with the intention of grinding out abilities is failing to "go out of your way" to trivialize FFT.

If you played straight through the game and didn't know particular tricks it was fucking hard as balls until the game hands you Orlandu.
It is a final fantasy game. The vast majority of people who play FF games know that leveling is what you do, and there's an ability on the first class you have access to that basically says "This helps you level up faster." I'm not saying that if you had -no- idea about rpgs in general and went through the game it would be easy, but it literally gives you an ability to make the game substantially easier within the first three battles of the game. And not just easier; it gives you an ability that makes learning every other skill in the game twice as fast.

You don't even have to engage in other battles if you put two and two together; there's enough chance to earn JP at absurd levels in storyline battles. The first chapter is -by far- the hardest, with only the Weigraf/Belias fight being on par. The game gets incredibly easy before you unlock Orlandu, if you actually just look at the abilities. I'd say the moment Mustadio becomes a character you can play is the turning point for even newblars. Orlandu is just OP icing on an already baked cake of ease.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I'm 3/4ths through FFT, playing it at the moment. I had to restart because it was too hard with what I thought was a reasonable white mage/black mage/knight/knight/ninja (and supporting abilities), yes I even used JP Up because I read it online. I think mages just suck unless you grind to calculator.

Turns out that Monk just destroys the early game because they can do everything at instant speed, then use it as the secondary ability to level the heavier classes. Game is hella imbalanced. Having x5 Blade Grasp and knowing about the 3 Faith/97 Brave doesn't make it any easier, I'm not willing to do the crazy grinding that actually requires, no way you guys were doing that by accident. Does 3 Faith stop the Holy/Dark Sword Art stuff because Blade Grasp sure doesn't.

I also played FF5 recently AKA x4 Dual Weild Mystic Knight Drain Strike. FFTA, FF11 and especially Bravely Default have much better implementations.

Sterling

El Presidente
It is a final fantasy game. The vast majority of people who play FF games know that leveling is what you do, and there's an ability on the first class you have access to that basically says "This helps you level up faster." I'm not saying that if you had -no- idea about rpgs in general and went through the game it would be easy, but it literally gives you an ability to make the game substantially easier within the first three battles of the game. And not just easier; it gives you an ability that makes learning every other skill in the game twice as fast.

You don't even have to engage in other battles if you put two and two together; there's enough chance to earn JP at absurd levels in storyline battles. The first chapter is -by far- the hardest, with only the Weigraf/Belias fight being on par. The game gets incredibly easy before you unlock Orlandu, if you actually just look at the abilities. I'd say the moment Mustadio becomes a character you can play is the turning point for even newblars. Orlandu is just OP icing on an already baked cake of ease.
JP and throw rocks at shit. Get skills fast. Also Orlandu was just dumb.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Go pound sand.
The story to FFT is REALLY FUCKING GOOD don't get me wrong, I love the combo of Game of Thrones and Berserk. The battle system is (as discussed above by several people) really unbalanced and most classes are just useless.

FFTA is a better GAME even though the story and tutorial are painful. Better class variety and balance, different races with different classes/stats, fun map making feature to get bonus gear...

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
FFTA could be gold covered manna handed down by Christ himself, and it would still be the sequel we got instead of a FFT 2, and therefore I would still hate it forever.

Chris

Potato del Grande
FFTA could be gold covered manna handed down by Christ himself, and it would still be the sequel we got instead of a FFT 2, and therefore I would still hate it forever.
Now I've actually played FFT, I just don't understand why you would make a sequel with a story apparently targeted at a totally different demographic, especially after how awesome that story was. Maybe we can blame it going from PSP to Nintendo DS.