Final Fantasy VII Remake

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Now I've actually played FFT, I just don't understand why you would make a sequel with a story apparently targeted at a totally different demographic, especially after how awesome that story was.
Yeah. No one understands that decision except some nutso Jap up at Square Enix.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
FFT really wasn't that easy on the first play through unless you looked shit up. Yeah you could find some powerful skills, but it's pretty unlikely you just stumble upon the truly OP combinations of skills stats unless you grinded a ton to just plain have every skill. Fuck, you don't even know what the classes are and what you need to unlock them unless you did a ton of leveling or looked it up.

Until Orlandu anyways, he trivialized the game by himself

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Yeah, that was my initial experience as a kid as well. I definitely had one play through at the start where I leveled up Ramza way above everyone else and couldn't actually play the game anymore because the monsters were fifteen levels higher than the rest of the party. The game was full of partially obfuscated mechanics and until you figured things out it could be pretty rough. I got stuck at the Wiegraf fight once and had to restart. I got stuck on the roof with those two assassins once and had to restart. Being that stuck was a new experience. Heck, I remember the first time I came across a strategy guide in a Walden's and finally knew how to unlock all the other classes. My cousin had beaten the game with just Knights and Archers and there I was with Assassins and Samurai next time we hung out.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I got stuck on the roof with those two assassins once and had to restart.
Celia and Lede were fucking brutal. Fight was even harder if you were trying to learn Ultima on Ramza, but I think that was the second time you fight them.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Celia and Lede were fucking brutal. Fight was even harder if you were trying to learn Ultima on Ramza, but I think that was the second time you fight them.
Those were the fights that were, I wouldn't say a dick-programming part of the game, but where you kind of had to cheese slightly. Those were the 2 vampire girls with the head vamp guy who could move 2-3x for each of your characters turns and you had to basically pray the guy you had to keep alive didn't get one shot and/or included in their little AOE sword drain/attack?

Other fights I remember being a lol fuck me I didn't save apart from force this map, the knight who lightning strikes you before you turn him into the demon (Meliadoul's brother?) who could aoe sleep/poison/summoned an assraper that targeted half the map.

There were certainly a few dick maps that if you beat without cheesing it, you got exceptionally lucky.

I think everyone under the sun noticed immediately that hey, squires get JP up & chemists get autopotion and that trivialized a lot, but even without 97 brave blade grasping that skill was still OP as fuck given the majority of major quest maps had weapons.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Wiegraf was Miluda's brother, you fight her twice and are force to kill her the second time. He's quite easy if you're prepared to cheese the fight with auto-potion and yell spam, he's damn near impossible otherwise.

Meliadoul was the brother of Izlude (the pain in the ass with jump that you fight at Orbonne Monastery) and the daughter of Vormav, who gets possessed by Hashmal, who is essentially the leader of the Lucavi and trying to resurrect Altima. Izlude is killed by Hashmal when he slaughters everyone at Riovanes, Meliadoul doesn't know anything about all the demon shit and blames Ramza for her brother's death, she confronts you, escapes, follows you to Limberry Castle, sees Elmdore turn into Zalera and admit that Vormav is also possessed, so she joins you.

God the story of Tactics is so amazing. As much as I love FF4, I think Tactics is probably the best story Square ever wrote. All of Ivalice is amazing, FF12 could have been fantastic if they left out Vaan and Penelo, gave a lot more story time to Ashe and a bit more to Balthier, and added an actual end boss.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Wiegraf was Miluda's brother, you fight her twice and are force to kill her the second time. He's quite easy if you're prepared to cheese the fight with auto-potion and yell spam, he's damn near impossible otherwise.
There's a robe you can buy that absorbs Holy and although you think his Lightning Stab does Lightning Damage it doesn't. It does the same damage as the element of the sword the character has equipped. If you show up with that robe equipped (Chamelion I think?) the only attack Wiegraf will use against you is Wave Fist. You can beat him any way you like after that without any need for cheese.

Of course good luck figuring out that a piece of equipment you'd never otherwise put on Ramza that you've outleveled is the exact answer to an encounter given the tooltip for Lightning Stab is wrong.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
BTW a ton of Final Fantasy games are 50% off for Android on the Play store

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
That's funny, tactics is the only one on sale for iOS that I can see, $6.99.

Secret of mana is half off too

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Secret of Mana had great gameplay but holy shit did I ever not realize how horribly shallow the story was until the last time I played through. There's a section near the end game where you have to visit all the mana palaces, and for a stretch of them you keep trying to talk to this one sage and his assistant is like 'nope hes at this palace' and then when you clear that palace and return, he's like 'now hes at this other palace'. You clear 4 palaces like that and then he's like JAYKAY IM THE SAGE.

Seiken Densetsu 3's gameplay wasn't quite as smooth but the story was tons better.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
SD3 was brilliant. I love how smoothly the game folds the 6 different characters together first by lumping them into 3 story groups (Hawk + Lise, Duran + Angela, Kevin + Carlie), having each character have a slightly different prologue, and then have a section in the middle and the very end of the game be different based on which story group your main character was part of.

So in actuality the differences are incredibly minor, but in effect it seems like you're getting a completely different story for each of the 3 story groups.

Tenks

I also liked the classing in SD3. It wasn't the deepest classing in the world but it added a bit of fun.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Seiken MyDick 3 or whatever shit you are trying to say isn't in the App Store, so no dice for me.

Tenks

Seiken MyDick 3 or whatever shit you are trying to say isn't in the App Store, so no dice for me.
I don't know if it ever was released outside Japan. I know I played it on ROM and I think it was a fan translation to English.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah it never got a western release, only way to play it is on a SNES emulator with a translated rom. Fan translation is top notch work though.

With them rereleasing all their shit constantly, and releasing all the Final Fantasy games that didn't originally get a western release, I'm surprised there has never been talk of an English release of SD3

Sounds like something for the bushiest of neckbeards
It's a better translation than the work done on the original translations of FF4/6 when they were released in America as 2/3 you spoony forum poster.