Final Fantasy VII Remake

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Beat the game. Very good game, probably the new best game in the entire FF series. Not even joking.

20240308_181838.jpg

• 6Like
  • 1Slow
Reactions: 6 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Beat the game. Very good game, probably the new best game in the entire FF series. Not even joking.

View attachment 518760

Given how much they improved from Part 1 to this, the real test will be if they can take further feedback and make Part 3 even more fine tuned. Rumors are airship travel is returning.

Merrith

So admittedly, I hadn't been using Barrett much at all, mostly sticking to party of Cloud/Tifa/Aerith, subbing in Yuffie quite a bit when I wanted to play a more ranged main, with a little Red sprinkled in (his playstyle is a little weird, I kind of like it but it's strange to me to be half defensive just for Vengeance mode).

Anyways, had one sim fight that I was having some trouble with, and randomly came across a post advocating a auto tank build for Barrett using the auto weapon ability Lifesaver. Definitely going to have to mess around with more builds, crazy how much difference some of these materia combos can make.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Given how much they improved from Part 1 to this, the real test will be if they can take further feedback and make Part 3 even more fine tuned. Rumors are airship travel is returning.

Part 3 has the FF7 Disc 2 stuff to go through, plus this Shinra/Wutai war (weird how we never see The Viceroy's face in this one). That war will be a convenient way to explain not letting you fly to Wutai until it's time ("we can't violate their airspace!") Would be cool if Genesis shows up since he's such a massive unresolved thread in the FF7 universe.

Most importantly, Part 3 should have airship flight and the snowmobile.

Chris

Potato del Grande
It's definitely overstuffed at key story moments.

The entire RPG genre has a real problem with story scenes, story dungeons and regular gameplay not being integrated at all - with story being an excuse to slow you down to make you look at the art assets they made for a particular area for longer.

It's making me not want to do side content and delay even further.

Siliconemelons

I have a major peeve: Why does the game constantly slow things down during dramatic moments? So many dramatic moments get gutted because it switches control to the player and you have to walk Extremely Slowly towards a distant target. Happens at the beginning in Nibelheim, and a bunch of times towards the end. Didn't beat the game last night because I ran out of time and it kept slowing things to a crawl.

Final dungeon is like five hours long, legitimately. The one real obstacle to me replaying this is the massive dungeon length and how a lot of tedious things creep into them to slow you down. Like stopping to slowly absorb green energy sparks as Aerith after every fight gets super tedious super fast. Final dungeon really needed to stick the landing but it's like they're still throwing things in to unnecessarily slow the game way down. Starts feeling like they don't realize people have other things to do.

I mean they make you "walk" once (or twice?) in the OG 7 (I think in cosmo canyon) so they had to recreate that feeling for nostalgia.

I have no basis for this, I am being sarcastic and I enjoy reading as I forgot this was PS5 only and I only have a PS4pro... so I cant give in a buy this.

Siliconemelons

Would be cool if Genesis shows up since he's such a massive unresolved thread in the FF7 universe.

Most importantly, Part 3 should have airship flight and the snowmobile.

I really was disappointed in the end of Crisis Core - it had great bookends and honestly a fairly coherent story that gave you background on Zack (and in turn Cloud) and Sepheroth and even a good expansion on the Nib reactor stuff - the relationship of the "3" projects was good, they narrative used Angeal well (and again he is Cloud's narrative by way of Zack and powers - again hojo most likely did not know Zack had absorbed Angeal when he tossed him in the tube)

The way they worked Zack to the fight with Genesis was good and well built up to - it should have ended, he should have truly killed him. There was no need for Angeal or Genesis after CC imo, Sepheroth is fine. So unless this remake spins on its heel that Gen is the true big bad... Even Advent Childrend they could have used Genesis as the conduit for Sepheroth to return but didnt... Its like they had no real plan, but just didnt want to kill him.

Malakriss

So i neglected choco racing since that's a bunch of time for not great rewards only to find out heading into the real date that finishing the quest for Gold Cup, which requires all previous races to access, raises Tifa rep. So if you want Tifa on first playthrough and have been doing everything you probably need to do that for her to have a shot

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
So i neglected choco racing since that's a bunch of time for not great rewards only to find out heading into the real date that finishing the quest for Gold Cup, which requires all previous races to access, raises Tifa rep. So if you want Tifa on first playthrough and have been doing everything you probably need to do that for her to have a shot

I wouldn't worry about it too much because in NG+ / chapter select you can just straight-up choose who you want to go on the date with during that chapter.

I really was disappointed in the end of Crisis Core - it had great bookends and honestly a fairly coherent story that gave you background on Zack (and in turn Cloud) and Sepheroth and even a good expansion on the Nib reactor stuff - the relationship of the "3" projects was good, they narrative used Angeal well (and again he is Cloud's narrative by way of Zack and powers - again hojo most likely did not know Zack had absorbed Angeal when he tossed him in the tube)

The way they worked Zack to the fight with Genesis was good and well built up to - it should have ended, he should have truly killed him. There was no need for Angeal or Genesis after CC imo, Sepheroth is fine. So unless this remake spins on its heel that Gen is the true big bad... Even Advent Childrend they could have used Genesis as the conduit for Sepheroth to return but didnt... Its like they had no real plan, but just didnt want to kill him.

It isn't just that they didn't want to kill Genesis. They brought him back at the end of Dirge of Cerberus as this huge reveal, like he was going to resume his crusade to take over. Then nothing, never followed up. They didn't need to bring him back if they weren't planning anything as followup. He isn't over enough as a character for it to be some kind of big shock moment, nobody was clamoring for it, so it only makes sense as setup.

Chris

Potato del Grande
It isn't just that they didn't want to kill Genesis. They brought him back at the end of Dirge of Cerberus as this huge reveal, like he was going to resume his crusade to take over. Then nothing, never followed up. They didn't need to bring him back if they weren't planning anything as followup. He isn't over enough as a character for it to be some kind of big shock moment, nobody was clamoring for it, so it only makes sense as setup.
Gackt is still huge right? It's gonna pay off big when we fight Viceroy who gives a fuck and it's him!

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The fact that they never show you the Viceroy's face is interesting and tells me that he's gonna be someone we know. Otherwise why not show him?

So I got to running down the list of recognizable characters who are unaccounted for in the FF7 mythos as of the end of this game, and the list pretty much began and ended with Genesis.

Good chance whoever it is will be one of the Big Bads in Part 3, in any case.

A little confused about
How Glenn turned into Sephiroth at the end. Unsure if that was Rufus hallucinating or if Seph was able to take over his body due to Glenn being ex-SOLDIER.

Chris

Potato del Grande
On the last phase of the last battle and going to bed so god knows how many battles I need to replay now.

Give EVERYONE Materia when it tells you to, don't be me.

Need some Japanese symbolism experts trained on Kingdom Hearts to explain whatever the fuck this is.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Is there another awesome metal rendition of one winged angel music? Remakes was awesome
There's a Jenova remix that's really good.

Ending:
It's a confusing mess that's not worth speculating about, Nomura must have been high.

They ruined the death scene and didn't have the iconic lake burial scene. I didn't play Crisis Core and don't give a shit about Zach. You don't get to explore any of the Forgotten Capital locations.

The Jenova fight is the one good thing about the last chapter.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Fadaar

That guy
The fact that they never show you the Viceroy's face is interesting and tells me that he's gonna be someone we know. Otherwise why not show him?

So I got to running down the list of recognizable characters who are unaccounted for in the FF7 mythos as of the end of this game, and the list pretty much began and ended with Genesis.

Good chance whoever it is will be one of the Big Bads in Part 3, in any case.

A little confused about
How Glenn turned into Sephiroth at the end. Unsure if that was Rufus hallucinating or if Seph was able to take over his body due to Glenn being ex-SOLDIER.

viceroy Zack imo

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
There's a Jenova remix that's really good.

Ending:
It's a confusing mess that's not worth speculating about, Nomura must have been high.

They ruined the death scene and didn't have the iconic lake burial scene. I didn't play Crisis Core and don't give a shit about Zach. You don't get to explore any of the Forgotten Capital locations.

The Jenova fight is the one good thing about the last chapter.

Jenova-Life shoulda really been the final boss. They played all of it so weird that I wasn't even sure if Aerith was actually dead. It was like they beat around the bush with it as much as possible, and didn't even show her actual impalement. Then they had Ghost Aerith hanging around so much that for a few minutes I thought she was still in the party. They sucked all the impact out of it, I guess to go easy on delicate Modern Audiences.

TLDR: The game is great and fumbles the last chapter, as I predicted weeks before it came out, based on the first one doing the same thing.

• 1Pathetic

Chris

Potato del Grande
Jenova-Life shoulda really been the final boss. They played all of it so weird that I wasn't even sure if Aerith was actually dead. It was like they beat around the bush with it as much as possible, and didn't even show her actual impalement. Then they had Ghost Aerith hanging around so much that for a few minutes I thought she was still in the party. They sucked all the impact out of it, I guess to go easy on delicate Modern Audiences.

TLDR: The game is great and fumbles the last chapter, as I predicted weeks before it came out, based on the first one doing the same thing.
I guess we are meant to speculate on if she lived in an alternate reality with a different stamp, or if Cloud's body and mind are in different realities or Cloud is just deluding himself thst he saved her...

They can fuck off with that shit.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I guess we are meant to speculate on if she lived in an alternate reality with a different stamp, or if Cloud's body and mind are in different realities or Cloud is just deluding himself thst he saved her...

They can fuck off with that shit.

Just murdered Aerith on-camera and made it real clear what happened.

• 1Solidarity

Fadaar

That guy
anybody thinking the obvious ambiguity of the ending wasnt intentional are delusional. that being said, it could have been done better. i do agree that

Seph shouldn't have been the final boss. Again. Have the Aeris scene happen then he taunts you and fucks off, no need to fight him again.