Final Fantasy VII Remake

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
If they make every fight into some grand production, yea each episode may be as LONG as a full length FF game, but it won't have as much actual content. Unless they drastically change the story of FF7 I don't see how they can squeeze that much worthwhile content out of it. Make the shit longer just for the sake of milking more $$ out of it will ruin it.
I feel like they are going to be long because the fights are going to take forever and be a total slog.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
So after finally seeing that boss battle with the robot at the reactor core. All I can think of is Oh god what will they be doing with the ruby and emerald weapon fights...

I mean the only way to beat ruby was pretty much chaining kotr and counter magic with quadra ultima.

Jonkimble

Lord Nagafen Raider
I used 14 counter attack materia and final attack + phoenix for Ruby. Didn't need to push a single button!

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
If it's a full size game I'll absolutley give them my money, Midgar was MINDBLOWING to me as a child (I think I was 11) and introduced me to Japanese culture and cyberpunk. If it was any other section of any other game, no way. But it'll happily play just Midgar even if I knew Square Enix was going out of buisness and would never make another part (or like what happened with the Half Life episodes).

Midgar IS mindblowing. If you're gonna take any one area from any old-school RPG and turn it into a full-sized modern game, Midgar is the first thing that comes to mind.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yea I think the people who arent big on Midgar are more FF purists who dont feel as though the game starts until they take the training wheels off and open up the map.

I dont think its necessarily Midgar itself being an issue, its moreso the fact that it was basically a tutorial stage that had to be completed in order to actually get into the meat of the game.

Aesthetically, Midgar might be one of the most captivating game environments I can remember playing in. The entire futuristic/steampunk feel along with the Japanese quirkiness and RPG elements was magical to me.

I too felt Midgar could have been a sprawling metropolis with a bounty of quests and characters to discover. It was a genius stroke to start off the story there, but it always felt like there could of been more.

Now we will get more. I couldn't be more gassed up.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
The main ruby strat involved Aerith and self-res. Can't remember the materia combo, but she constantly res'd the party. Paired with quadro and 4x attack on Cloud or some shit, which hit for a more than KOTR and didn't take 20 minutes to watch.

Chris

Potato del Grande
The main ruby strat involved Aerith and self-res. Can't remember the materia combo, but she constantly res'd the party. Paired with quadro and 4x attack on Cloud or some shit, which hit for a more than KOTR and didn't take 20 minutes to watch.
Aerith dies. Sorry to break it to you.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yea I think the people who arent big on Midgar are more FF purists who dont feel as though the game starts until they take the training wheels off and open up the map.

I dont think its necessarily Midgar itself being an issue, its moreso the fact that it was basically a tutorial stage that had to be completed in order to actually get into the meat of the game.

Aesthetically, Midgar might be one of the most captivating game environments I can remember playing in. The entire futuristic/steampunk feel along with the Japanese quirkiness and RPG elements was magical to me.

I too felt Midgar could have been a sprawling metropolis with a bounty of quests and characters to discover. It was a genius stroke to start off the story there, but it always felt like there could of been more.

Now we will get more. I couldn't be more gassed up.

Before FF7 came out, I thought the whole game took place in Midgar. I was pretty disappointed. Here we've got a chance to see that location fully-realized, after all this time. I hope they don't drop the ball.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Aerith dies. Sorry to break it to you.
Aeris is such a better name. If they try to default that stupid fucking lisp onto the end I'm changing that immediately. I never change names. Who the fuck wants to say Aerith, honestly.

• 4Solidarity
  • 4Like
Reactions: 7 users

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I enjoyed making fun builds for fighting emerald and ruby.. Made teams who could beat both of them without using my turns.. lots of counter and magic counter with ae/heal rez and whatever attack i liked. Lots of mime too.. loved mime.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Aeris is such a better name. If they try to default that stupid fucking lisp onto the end I'm changing that immediately. I never change names. Who the fuck wants to say Aerith, honestly.
I'm with you on that. I'm just using it to ease myself in.

I don't know why they did it, translation error? Terra from FF6 is called Tina in Japan ffs.

• 1WTF

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I'm with you on that. I'm just using it to ease myself in.

I don't know why they did it, translation error? Terra from FF6 is called Tina in Japan ffs.

Yes, it was just a translation issue. Aeris is so much easier to say but they’ve been retconing it to Aerith on everything since VII, so I’m guessing we will have to just rename her.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
If I remember correctly, the .hack//GU games from PS2 were 1 story told over 3 games, where you could carry over progress from part 1 to 2 to 3, or you could load up a new character in a "approximate" state to where you would be when the game started.

I can't remember if each volume had a level cap, but progress definitely slowed significantly past what would be considered the end of each volume.

I am pretty excited to play for 40 hours in Midgard. That place should have so much to offer a game.

Yeah so there is a precedent, that's what they should do. Unfortunately, I do not share your enthusiasm for an entire game dedicated to Midgard. Yeah it's cool looking from distant shots, and it was pretty cool looking when playing through it. However the game play of it sucked, which would not carry over into an open ended game dedicated to it. However, I'm not sure if 40 hours of gray, grungy, and bleak with your random neon sign here and there is going to be too endearing over 40+ hours of game play. Not only that, there are only so many dungeon types you can do in an urban setting: Industrial or Office. I would be ok with it, if we can actually go out of the city proper like Fallout 4 and have some "rural" mixed in to help break it up a bit. If they do something like that, I'll be more on board.

Also since this is a remake of an entire game. Going off the math here, Midgard accounted for 10% of the original, so it's fair to say this is going to be a ten part series? If this were any other company and director, I'd definitely say you were crazy, but this Nomura, who somehow managed to turn a trilogy into an 11 part affair. Due to his history, this does not bode well for my expectations of this remake series.

• 1Solidarity

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
I thought Midgar was great. Assault of midgar was good too.

I always wished there was more content to touch when you got the key to midgar and snuck back in.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Not only that, there are only so many dungeon types you can do in an urban setting: Industrial or Office.
Industrial Zone
Nuclear Plant
Commercial Zone
Train Tunnels
Plate Infrastructure
Cyberpunk Slum
Seedy Shopping Street
Sewers
Train Graveyard
Office Building
Science Lab
Freeway

Yeah you can group some of those up into "Industrial" but it's more diverse than two.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Industrial Zone
Nuclear Plant
Commercial Zone
Train Tunnels
Plate Infrastructure
Cyberpunk Slum
Seedy Shopping Street
Sewers
Train Graveyard
Office Building
Science Lab
Freeway

Yeah you can group some of those up into "Industrial" but it's more diverse than two.

Fair enough I guess... I dunno I'm not a fan of just urban settings in general for much the same reason. It's primarily because I just don't like endless gray and gritty, which is what Midgard was in the original. If they figure out to add some color and flavor into it, that would be a right step. Also, to me a Nuclear Plant is still going to be like a factory on the inside. Where as a cave is much different than a temple which is much different than a train station.

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
Fair enough I guess... I dunno I'm not a fan of just urban settings in general for much the same reason. It's primarily because I just don't like endless gray and gritty, which is what Midgard was in the original. If they figure out to add some color and flavor into it, that would be a right step. Also, to me a Nuclear Plant is still going to be like a factory on the inside. Where as a cave is much different than a temple which is much different than a train station.

What would have been cool is if they added an “above plate” section of town. You are correct that all of the sections and missions were in factory, at shinra hq, or below plate. We never got to see how the “fine people live” above plate with the exception of shinra hq.

The church and Aeris home was the only colorful section. But that kind of accomplished setting a mood about her didn’t it?