Final Fantasy VII Remake

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Fair enough I guess... I dunno I'm not a fan of just urban settings in general for much the same reason. It's primarily because I just don't like endless gray and gritty, which is what Midgard was in the original. If they figure out to add some color and flavor into it, that would be a right step. Also, to me a Nuclear Plant is still going to be like a factory on the inside. Where as a cave is much different than a temple which is much different than a train station.

Nuclear plants and factories look radically different on the inside. Even factories can look and feel wildly different from each other depending on what they’re doing. Just saying.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Nuclear plants and factories look radically different on the inside. Just saying.

Fair point. I guess full disclosure: I hated Midgard. Hated it. In fact I made a game save at the point just past completing it so I didn't have to ever go through it again on subsequent play throughs. And I'm trying to make more rational arguments as to why I'm not thrilled at the idea of playing an ENTIRE game dedicated to a section of a great game I did not like.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Fair point. I guess full disclosure: I hated Midgard. Hated it. In fact I made a game save at the point just past completing it so I didn't have to ever go through it again on subsequent play throughs. And I'm trying to make more rational arguments as to why I'm not thrilled at the idea of playing an ENTIRE game dedicated to a section of a great game I did not like.

I wasn’t a fan after multiple playthroughs either. However I think most of my dislike came from it being on rails, you don’t have material yet, or all your party members. If it was a fully fleshed out game in itself maybe I’d feel different, idk. I like freedom in my RPGs and dislike rails.

I could think of some other areas that could be cool like airship docks, tops of skyscrapers, etc. that could be amazing visually now when back then it couldn’t be.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I wasn’t a fan after multiple playthroughs either. However I think most of my dislike came from it being on rails, you don’t have material yet, or all your party members. If it was a fully fleshed out game in itself maybe I’d feel different, idk. I like freedom in my RPGs and dislike rails.

I could think of some other areas that could be cool like airship docks, tops of skyscrapers, etc. that could be amazing visually now when back then it couldn’t be.

That was my main complaint about it too. I just also don't like dark/gritty settings that much and I had been hoping the first part of this was going to encompass the first disc or something like that when this was first announced, and I'm just really bummed it's just the prologue.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Say what you want about Midgar but the moment when a house flattens you with a nuke is when as a kid I was hooked.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Say what you want about Midgar but the moment when a house flattens you with a nuke is when as a kid I was hooked.
You know they are going to make whatever that was into a whole boss now.

Can't wait to see Tricerotops Tank too.

Siliconemelons

The only real story element I think they can improve on in Midgar by expanding it, is SHOWING us as the player the cast disparity - to me playing it, ALL OF Midgar was a slum, it was all slums and shinra tower - even the street where Cloud and Aris(f) meet was crummy, in the new CGI it was nice and upper level...

All you "got" was slums and the tunnels around the slums to other slums and playboy slum lords you trannytricked into a pheonix down on your way to pump some iron with the gayboys.

CrisisCore does not help this either as it is very limited to like 3 or 4 screen areas of Midgar that are not the soldier/shinra area.

Midgar is dark, oppressive, constrained and more grey than pantheon will be newbrown (tm) - it is suppose to be that way, that is why the flower patch in the church is such a thing... so expanding upon midgar will, imo, either break that mood or just give us more and more of that depressing mood...both are bad and I do not look forward to it.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

elidib

Vyemm Raider
I wonder if they'll throw in some of the easter eggs and lesser known things, like "this guy are sick", the Test 0 battle from the japanese version, getting chocobuckle by lvl 4 suiciding a chocobo, turtle paradise flyers, etc

Chris

Potato del Grande
The only real story element I think they can improve on in Midgar by expanding it, is SHOWING us as the player the cast disparity - to me playing it, ALL OF Midgar was a slum, it was all slums and shinra tower - even the street where Cloud and Aris(f) meet was crummy, in the new CGI it was nice and upper level...
That's a really good point, that Sector 8 Upper Plate area you meet Aeris is either post reactor bombing or has a giant cannon built on it. The Sector 1 Upper Plate where the Train Station opening is seems to be an industrial area. In fact in the trailers for the remake, you can clearly see the different lighting in Sector 1 and Sector 8 showing it is indeed a commercial/residential area and an industrial area.

The motorbike section in the trailer actually has Jessie on the back of the bike, so looks like they are adding whole new missions. Hopefully we do see more above the plate, Upeer Sector 7 would be a good place to go so you get more invested in it being destroyed.

Siliconemelons

Another aspect I think that was either a "retcon" or whatnot with the expansion of FF7 into CC etc. was that Sepheroth as a "bad guy" was a recent thing...until like a week before the start of FF7 Sepheroth was the grand hero of shinra...and it was no secret, the trio were "teh dudes"... I do not know why, either my feeble potato mind or the presentation - but it always seemed like there was a big gap between the "past events" and the current starting point.. I also never got why Tifa was never like "Cloud, WTF bro, snap out of it...THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED" - it just seemed like the burning of the city, mako reactor and the mansion freak out was- "a while ago" not...last week.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I also never got why Tifa was never like "Cloud, WTF bro, snap out of it...THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED"

I always assumed it was because Tifa wasn't sure if the "truth" would destabilize Cloud, or also the fact that he DID know facts from that visit that he shouldn't know if he was just borrowing Zack's story...and that's because you find out in the end that he WAS actually there, just as one of the uniformed guards. Because of that, Cloud actually knew more about some of the events than Tifa did, like what happened with Sephiroth in the reactor. Because it was actually Cloud that ended up defeating him, just as the uniformed trooper he was, and not in the Zack role.

Siliconemelons

Ehh yeah that stuff is all this that and the other - I am mostly talking about when cloud keeps going back and forth with tifa and arith interchanging in his childhood and relationship etc.

I also was kinda fuzzy on how Cloud just jumps into AVALANCHE and... no one knows him? other than "He used to be SOLDIER" (but wasn't, that was Zack) yet Barrett should know him via Tifa..

But really, I have not done a play through in forever, so the start of the game and all the stuff that goes on there is really fuzzy for me... so I could be off base on a lot...

I hope this remake does not get crazy...like 8 parts or whatever... also I still am not excited to play 40 hours of intro Midgar...

• 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 1 user

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
The remake will flop, they turned the original game with turn based combat into a button masher, which appeals to a group of players that doesn't care about the story.

• 2Picard
  • 1Salty
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 3 users

Merrith

The remake will flop, they turned the original game with turn based combat into a button masher, which appeals to a group of players that doesn't care about the story.

Can pretty much guarantee it won't flop. I had my doubts about the combat, too...but the shit they showed makes me interested in it when I wouldn't have been otherwise (XV's didn't look appealing at all).

• 2Like

Siliconemelons

Play crisis core on the PSP for an hour or two, then play FF15 for and hour or two.

Then pray for a mix of all the good and none of the bad.

And realize we most likely are getting all the bad...

Merrith

Play crisis core on the PSP for an hour or two, then play FF15 for and hour or two.

Then pray for a mix of all the good and none of the bad.

And realize we most likely are getting all the bad...

I've seen most say it seems a lot like KH2 combat which is supposedly good? Never played the KH series so no clue

Merrith

What I played of KH it felt like a more spamming Secret of Mana/Evermore with nonsense camera angles.

Yeah I'm completely unknown with KH combat or anything, literally never touched any of the series. I just heard certain people saying KH2 combat was fantastic and maybe someone involved in that is involved with the combat here. I was really skeptical, but what they showed has me interested at least.