Final Fantasy VII Remake

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
No shit, the Dragon Quest games look fine DBZ style. fuck in DQ9 you literally go super saiyan when your tension hits 100. I named my entire party after DBZ characters because they all looked exactly like DBZ characters.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Eh, the story in 9 was great for the vast majority of the game. Necron and the "We must defeat death!" stuff was pretty dumb, but Kuja was a good villain, as was Brahne before he becomes the big-bad. The storyline made sense and fit the themes of the world very well, right until the absolute very end.

As for not liking the characters, I can see that with the art direction, but aside from Quina there's really no shitty character in the story. The game just isn't super grim-dark like they went with the latter half of 6 and most of 7, and it has a lot more in common with previous titles with the whimsicality of it all. I mean hell, you get turned into a pig/frog in 4, and anything involving Gau/Mog/Umaro from 6 was clearly a comedic take on things, especially with Cyan.
Dagger is the only decent character in 9, maybe Zidane, but I never really got past the whole I'm a horny, fun loving monkey-boy thing. He literally never develops an ounce until it's shoved in his face that's he's some genetic experiment over whatever. Quinoa forget it. Mini-Summoner forget it. Steiner...okay, that is 90% uncanny valley bothering me with him, but what's interesting about him. Vivi is a mute black mage who probably has the most character development while trying to figure out why's he's so different from the others of his kind and eventually if he'll die.

Okay Vivi's side plot was good.

Brahne was an awful villain. She was okay until it turned out she wasn't mind-controlled and was just super sadistic out of nowhere and then Garnet is supposed to forgive her on a whim because she had a last second change of heart? At least Kefka's insanity was consistent, at least Sephiroth didn't do another 180 for no goddamn reason.

I'm harder on 9 than any other FF because people like to brag that it's a return to the by-gone era, but it doesn't hold a candle to 6 so it pisses me off that people try to put it on a level plane. X has a miles better plot and interesting characters but it gets blasted by IX fans because it's too linear? Wandering around finding trivia monsters is overrated.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Spoonysays it best.

FFX had an absolutely amazing soundtrack, striking and memorable cut scenes and possibly the best battle system/gameplay of any Final Fantasy game.

However it hasabsurdcharacter design, hilariously ludicrous and linear plot, an annoying whiny "protagonist" who the story is most definitely not about, along with the worst final boss I can think of in a Final Fantasy game.

Whether you love it or hate it will depend on what values you assign to the various parts above.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Also people who blast FFX for being too linear were playing a different game than I was. A game where your ultimate goal was to create the greatest Blitzball team the world has ever known.

Caliane

Did you even read what i posted? DQ8 art style != "Remake" or AC style.
did you read what you posted?
Theres no way for them to recreate the original chrono trigger without shitting all over it.
DQ8 says they could do it just fine.

Akira Toriyama's art style would not look good with the same recreation processes they did with FF7:Remake and Advent Children.
why would they do that, when they could do it like DQ8?

They would be forced to keep it looking super anime like the recent DBZ games, which nobody wants lol
which everyone wants? how is that a bad thing, look at DQ8.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Yes but it brought us Rikku cosplay.
No pictures? For shame.

rikku2rikku-cosplay-072210.jpg
rikku13rikku-cosplay-072210.jpg

rikku-cosplay-1.jpg
Rikku-Cosplay.jpg

Let's not forget that Rikku was 15 years old in FFX
smile.png

Gotta wonder why more people don't cosplay this amazing character!

Seymour_Guado_Battle_Render.png

Chris

Potato del Grande
Spoonysays it best.

FFX had an absolutely amazing soundtrack, striking and memorable cut scenes and possibly the best battle system/gameplay of any Final Fantasy game.

However it hasabsurdcharacter design, hilariously ludicrous and linear plot, an annoying whiny "protagonist" who the story is most definitely not about, along withthe worst final boss I can think of in a Final Fantasy game.

Whether you love it or hate it will depend on what values you assign to the various parts above.
Erm... Necron? Yu Yevon is kind of important to the game, but yeah it's no Kefka, Sephrioth or even Ultimecia.

FF10 being linear is THE POINT OF THE GAME AND BUILDS DRAMATIC TENSION, you know that your main character is dying at the end of that road. ALSO WHY YOU NO LIKE BELTS?

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Yu Yevon at least had some presence in the world before you come across him even if his final reveal is kind of wtf out of nowhere. A lot of presence actually.

Necron was THE worst.
Zeromus was out of nowhere and Zemus was hardly developed.
Ex-Death the tree was pretty awful.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
More excited about the prospect of replaying FFVII than I thought I'd be. When I first played it it quickly became my favorite game of all time, but my regard for it since has been a steady decline. I still adore it, but for me it's like Mario 64 - it's not transcendent, merely revolutionary; not better than anything I'd ever played, but unlike anything I'd ever played.

It's not one of the handful of games I'll go back and play every five years like Star Ocean 2 or SotN - or FFVI.

Still, pretty hyped.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
FF9 is one of my favorite entries.

Even I admit the battle speed is downright snail-paced*, and the Necron fight is out of nowhere.

As everyone should know, 9 didn't even start off as a mainline FF game, it was just a nostalgia remix that got bumped up to full numeral status. Fans of FF9 tend to be long term fans of the series, and having nostalgia for nostalgia is tough to pull off.

*Part of that is the limitations of the PS1 hardware - every time you got into/out of a fight it had to dump nearly everything in memory and reload assets, and that sucked on the 2X(?) speed CD-ROM drive the PS1 had.