Final Fantasy VII Remake

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
Cloud's voice sounds even more retarded... like the stock voice from a CoD-type game.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
It’s just insanity to look at how fantastic voice acting and stories can be portrayed in games like last of us, uncharted, god of war, etc. and then see square create visually beautiful games and then get potatoes to both write and voice act.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
Less than three months. God damn I still have a hard time believing they are actually doing it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
FFX had great voice acting. Ha ha ha.

That scene was just as cringe in JP too. Edit: Like Dom said below, it was designed to be cringe and forced to break a shit mood in the story. But the rest of the VA wasn't nearly as bad. Auron was probably the best NA voice actor on the team. I think the issue is square enix gives zero fucks about hiring good NA voice actors and directors for the English localization.

They will pick up huge names in JP in comparison, when I was playing through FF14 I would hear familiar voices, look them up and recognize them from like 10 different things and their the list is still gigantic and full of shows I've heard about, just haven't seen. But you look at the English VA's work history and they've done like 3 things previously and it's never anything I've heard about. I think at the time, Yuna's voice actor had only done like 3 things prior to FFX

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
That scene was just as cringe in JP too. But the rest of the VA wasn't nearly as bad. Auron was probably the best NA voice actor on the team. I think the issue is square enix gives zero fucks about hiring good NA voice actors and directors for the English localization.

They will pick up huge names in JP in comparison, when I was playing through FF14 I would hear familiar voices, look them up and recognize them from like 10 different things and their the list is still gigantic and full of shows I've heard about, just haven't seen. But you look at the English VA's work history and they've done like 3 things previously and it's never anything I've heard about. I think at the time, Yuna's voice actor had only done like 3 things prior to FFX
Yuna's voice actor was great.

They had like Sean Bean and Lena Heady for some side characters in FF15 I think.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
That scene was meant to look at stupid as it did. The entire point of it was that they were laughing like idiots to break out of a funk.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Yuna's voice actor was great.

They had like Sean Bean and Lena Heady for some side characters in FF15 I think.

That was for the Kingsglaive movie though, they had Aaron Paul in it too. That movie wasn't too bad, at least great eye candy. And I always thought Yuna's VA sounded wooden as hell. But overall, I think it being their first venture into a voice acted FF game, it was just part of how it was going to be. My bigger complaint is even further down the line they kept the same comparisons. Maybe a handful tolerable English VA's, but the rest of the cast were shit. IE FF12's Balthier was fantastic, Gideon Emery has done a ton of stuff.

But speaking of FF15, the game, I mostly hated the English for the I think 2 of the characters only speaking in awful puns.

Chris

Potato del Grande
That was for the Kingsglaive movie though, they had Aaron Paul in it too. That movie wasn't too bad, at least great eye candy. And I always thought Yuna's VA sounded wooden as hell. But overall, I think it being their first venture into a voice acted FF game, it was just part of how it was going to be. My bigger complaint is even further down the line they kept the same comparisons. Maybe a handful tolerable English VA's, but the rest of the cast were shit. IE FF12's Balthier was fantastic, Gideon Emery has done a ton of stuff.

But speaking of FF15, the game, I mostly hated the English for the I think 2 of the characters only speaking in awful puns.
That's Yuna's character though. She's shy, modest and unsure of herself at the start of the game.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
That scene was meant to look at stupid as it did. The entire point of it was that they were laughing like idiots to break out of a funk.

I still don't understand how people don't get this. It was supposed to be hammy because they were forcing themselves to laugh in order to get over the heavy shit they'd been through. It was an inside joke between them, hence everyone looking at them like they were loony.

• 2Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I still don't understand how people don't get this. It was supposed to be hammy because they were forcing themselves to laugh in order to get over the heavy shit they'd been through. It was an inside joke between them, hence everyone looking at them like they were loony.

Because the scene is always shown with no context and no one remembers minute details from games they played 18 years ago. It’s cringey.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Because the scene is always shown with no context and no one remembers minute details from games they played 18 years ago. It’s cringey.

Yuna's reason for her journey is a huge point of X, as well as the position Tidus was in. I get that it's cringey because it's extremely Japanese, but there was context for it in minute and major details prior to it happening.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yuna's reason for her journey is a huge point of X, as well as the position Tidus was in. I get that it's cringey because it's extremely Japanese, but there was context for it in minute and major details prior to it happening.

I know bro. I’m just telling you why everyone has such a bad reaction to it, you said you didn’t get it. No one remembers why the laugh was happening, just that it did. It was 18 years ago is all. I have forgot details about games I played 6 months ago.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I know bro. I’m just telling you why everyone has such a bad reaction to it, you said you didn’t get it. No one remembers why the laugh was happening, just that it did. It was 18 years ago is all. I have forgot details about games I played 6 months ago.

I getcha. I guess that particular reaction is a bit of a bugbear because I feel like I've had to explain it so many times lol.

And yeah, RPGs with good stories stick in my mind, but sometimes I'll be playing something after stopping for a few months and I have no clue what anything does and wonder if I have early onset dementia.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
The three things I remember from that game. The stupid requirement of doding 100 lightning bolts, the blitz ball minigame, and that stupid fucking laughing scene.

I don't even remember the characters' names

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity