Final Fantasy VII Remake

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I learned that I've been pronouncing 'mako' wrong all these years...

I too found the difficulty to be very low. Granted this is a demo and you start out at level 7 or so and that might have something to do with it. They also might want you to feel superhuman to get people to buy in based on power fantasy?
I did not like the lock-on mechanic / switching to Barrett to use the gun. I felt like I was fighting the camera more than fighting the bad guys.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
I learned that I've been pronouncing 'mako' wrong all these years...

I too found the difficulty to be very low. Granted this is a demo and you start out at level 7 or so and that might have something to do with it. They also might want you to feel superhuman to get people to buy in based on power fantasy?
I did not like the lock-on mechanic / switching to Barrett to use the gun. I felt like I was fighting the camera more than fighting the bad guys.
You start at lv7 in the original, I think this is genuinely the difficulty level.

Some game journalists died to the first boss and called it Dark Souls difficulty haha.

I did use a lot of potions because I was rough with the mechanics and had Cloud die on the escape, but you got Pheonix Downs so no problem.

I noticed you can bind abilities to button combos like a fighting game, so there's a lot of potential for me to get better at the game.

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
I enjoyed the time in the demo, although it felt super short. The face and character visuals were great but the actual world itself was very hit and miss, scenic cinematic shots looked great but actually running through the world was kinda meh. Enemies looked lame. I didn't like the combat, I just couldn't figure out what I'm supposed to do at the mini boss mechanics wise, like dodging and blocking didn't really seem to do fuck all, and just zerged through with pots. I imagine in hard mode I'd have to figure something out or get super frustrated.

Definitely not buying at launch, it seems fine but I do get the feeling its gonna feel way too short and end way too early. I'll pick it up on PS5 when its $20.

Felt the same about combat. All the tutorials of do this do that. "Cloud you gotta. Nah MASH SQUARE. "

• 1Solidarity

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I don't understand people who bitch about textures and resolution.

I watched TV in my bedroom in the early 90s on a shitty black and white TV and had to manually adjust the aerial to get rid of interference on the screen.

PlayStation 1 games were awesome in the late 90s but now the graphics are so dated that we need to remake all of those games.

Blizzard built a company around stylising graphics so games looked good with a low spec PC.

We have had 10/10 games with FAR worse graphics. The game looked good to me, I wasn't inspecting each texture one by one.

If people are about to shell out $239.98 for an episodic remake from 1997, the least it can do is fucking run 4k HDR. Also, this is an RPG, with a higher price point (Much fucking higher) than any Indie studio looking to cash in hundreds of millions in profits. The exploration of Midgar was a key focal point, hence, atmosphere, beauty, surrounding, lighting, higher resolution, and HDR. Immersive worlds cater to this. This isn't you beating off to Benny Hill in 1991 on your 7" B&W Zenith. According to your post we may as well just break out horse and buggies, get rid of Air Conditioning, and live in fucking wood barns with the chickens.

This is called progress. Welcome to 1998.

On a side note, the main point aside from all that, is the lackluster effort in that department because they are pushing this shit out the door to bite off costs for a mistake THEY (SE) made in trying to pawn this off to a 3rd party anyway. If they cared so much about this project rather than just a flimsy and outrageous unethical monetary 4 game spin on 1, they would have launched a $59.99 FF7 remake worth a shit with the entire game remade inside of it and took FULL CONTROL of the development process in house. Instead, they pawned it off as a quick cash in like they originally intended, and now hope to pull the blinders over anyone to recoup their poor choices, regardless of their bullshit scapegoats of "It just got too big with all our grandiose ideas!". Let me translate that for you: "We fucked up hiring a 3rd party, they didn't produce jack shit, and now we are in the hole massively financially so we are going to concoct this hair brained idea and try to sell it off as an epic scope and project when all we are doing is throwing a piece of shit out the window to recoup costs in the hopes we may continue with a 2nd episode and see if more suckers play into it"

Hence the reason that 6 months ago they didn't even have a fucking roadmap.

What amazes me is it appears they didn't learn a fucking thing from FF14 after all.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Played through the demo today and I wish the combat had been the same as the old game. I kinda like turnbased combat. Other than that it was pretty cool.

Tilluin

Molten Core Raider
My main gripe was spending minutes trying to loot a potion off the dead guards body by the train at the very beginning only to realise they’d taken that out!

• 1Rustled
  • 1Worf

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
You start at lv7 in the original, I think this is genuinely the difficulty level.

Some game journalists died to the first boss and called it Dark Souls difficulty haha.

I did use a lot of potions because I was rough with the mechanics and had Cloud die on the escape, but you got Pheonix Downs so no problem.

I noticed you can bind abilities to button combos like a fighting game, so there's a lot of potential for me to get better at the game.

I saw the ability to bind those but never actually got it to work, not sure if it was me or the demo.

wrt to question about textures and frame rate issues, it has more to do with uniformity. If the game is uniformly stuttering and having texture draw/scaling issues I can adapt and expect that. It is only most noticeable when it suddenly pops up and you’re like wtf happened to that wall over....ah it finally scaled as I was watching it.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
If people are about to shell out $239.98 for an episodic remake from 1997, the least it can do is fucking run 4k HDR. Also, this is an RPG, with a higher price point (Much fucking higher) than any Indie studio looking to cash in hundreds of millions in profits. The exploration of Midgar was a key focal point, hence, atmosphere, beauty, surrounding, lighting, higher resolution, and HDR. Immersive worlds cater to this. This isn't you beating off to Benny Hill in 1991 on your 7" B&W Zenith. According to your post we may as well just break out horse and buggies, get rid of Air Conditioning, and live in fucking wood barns with the chickens.

This is called progress. Welcome to 1998.

On a side note, the main point aside from all that, is the lackluster effort in that department because they are pushing this shit out the door to bite off costs for a mistake THEY (SE) made in trying to pawn this off to a 3rd party anyway. If they cared so much about this project rather than just a flimsy and outrageous unethical monetary 4 game spin on 1, they would have launched a $59.99 FF7 remake worth a shit with the entire game remade inside of it and took FULL CONTROL of the development process in house. Instead, they pawned it off as a quick cash in like they originally intended, and now hope to pull the blinders over anyone to recoup their poor choices, regardless of their bullshit scapegoats of "It just got too big with all our grandiose ideas!". Let me translate that for you: "We fucked up hiring a 3rd party, they didn't produce jack shit, and now we are in the hole massively financially so we are going to concoct this hair brained idea and try to sell it off as an epic scope and project when all we are doing is throwing a piece of shit out the window to recoup costs in the hopes we may continue with a 2nd episode and see if more suckers play into it"

Hence the reason that 6 months ago they didn't even have a fucking roadmap.

What amazes me is it appears they didn't learn a fucking thing from FF14 after all.
You are a really miserable bastard aren't you?

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Tiresome
Reactions: 3 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
You are a really miserable bastard aren't you?

Well dude, you literally defend this piece of shit at every opportune time. The business model is horrendous and bullshit. There is no denying that. The facts are facts in this case and the writing is on the wall. It doesn't take a Great Carnack here or anyone that understands even an ounce of game development process (Everyone here does FYI) that a game stop started 3 years ago with it's head turned upside down in a horrid business model from a company that took 10 years to come out with FF15 (40 hours of content) all of a sudden can rip a game from a 3rd party developer and in 3 years accomplish what SE says has the same content level of FF15 in one segment of a remake and in the same breath admit they have no fucking roadmap for future episodes!

They didn't care enough about the remake to do it themselves the first time. Your answer to texture pop and poor resolution and not leveraging our systems is a typical reply of "But when I was 5 I played Space Invaders. It's all about the game play" is the final go to cop out for defense and white knighting. Or worse, listening to some jack hat producer trying to justify saving costs on Art and animation in meeting 45 that day about the direction of the game and what they need to scapegoat to the gullible.

And you know what? I would be WAY more understanding of the shit show this is currently if they just came out and said, "We had some development issues. In light of those, we will be releasing the game we intended to make over episodes rather than a full game launch due to time and budget constraints. We intend to give you as much as we can with the first episode to get the game in your hands, and intend to release the other episodes in good faith on the original business plan over the course of the next few years for the original price of $59.99"

But that didn't happen. And if you believe anything else out of this company at this point I have a fucking bridge for sale with your name on it in Wahun China.

Dense - Party of Two. Todd Howard is waiting anxiously for you at his table in Midgar to join him for dinner.

And let me clue you in on something else you didn't buy into the first time back in January when the demo leaked and told us all we needed to know. Everything came true. The demo, it's content, the lack of textures, the lack of 4k, and the upcoming release of this on PC in March 2021. You know what's left? How much content is left. And I can all but guarantee you 100% that this piece of shit holds about 14-15 hours of main content across 18 chapters with 10 hours of fluffed out padding filler and a complete lack of exploration of the Midgar they say will be just plan enormous! I mean such a huge undertaking right? That's why we are charging $59.99 per episode! WE ARE JUST THAT GOOD WITH CONTENT AND WORLD BUILDING! GAME IS BIGGER THAN WITCHER 3! This will be the most glorious $250 you have spent on 4 episodes with limited content since we invented texture pop!

Don't mind the fact we fucked FF15 right in the ass with post content material and took the staple of the final fantasy genre and handed it to some unknown fucking 3rd party shit stain for low cost development. Don't mind the fact we fucked KH3 in the ass with limited Disney worlds to sell you DLC, in which KH3 to the others is a heartbreak in of itself - NOW we are going to one up the game faster than a Bethesda Fallout 76 freight train headed to Bobby Kotick's private pool by having the Tokyo balls to charge $250 for ONE game split into 4 parts because of our own ineptitude! Why, you should be paying for this, not us! You are just lucky we are here to make games for you right!?

Give me a fucking break man.

Last edited:
  • 1EyeRoll

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
While I feel it's bullshit too... I feel the need to post this:

The decision to split this into episodes was pretty much the plan from the get go. They just have not given fuck all on what that actually means... even today they still haven't clarified exactly how much of the original game's content will be in this first episode.

I don't think square's typical greed is at play here. That's usually reserved for them charging a shitload for shitty ports of mobile games or earlier gen games. I think this is a result of Square's complete lack of ability to reign in the juniors from the glory days who took over the helm after the Gooch stepped down. These fuckers just do not know when enough is enough and always shoot way too fucking big to be realistic. 12 was a disaster and languished in damn near development hell before being released, and it was obvious (not saying the game was bad it was just obvious at a point the rest was rushed to get finished). XIII... yeah I don't know on that one exactly but it definitely wasn't anything to write home about and languished through 3 parts. Then you have XV. You can totally tell that shit was originally designed to be MASSIVE. The bulk of the world we got was 2 of what looked like was supposed to be about 10 zones, and it was obvious they realized there was no way in hell that full game could be released in anything less than 20 years. So they took what they had and made that the bulk of what you played then raced through and did limited areas to get the story finished.

Nomura is a disaster yet he is allowed to sit atop the Square side of Square Enix and come with these over the top ideas that are just unrealistic to flesh out. So just truncating everything into a fraction of the world kind of bombed in FF XV. So... why not just split the game up into parts so you can go big or go home like you want to? Sure... But for me? Square doesn't have a chance in hell of ever going back to the glories of old until Nomura and his fellow juniors from the 90s die or retire. Plain and simple.

• 1Solidarity

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
While I feel it's bullshit too... I feel the need to post this:

The decision to split this into episodes was pretty much the plan from the get go. They just have not given fuck all on what that actually means... even today they still haven't clarified exactly how much of the original game's content will be in this first episode.

I don't think square's typical greed is at play here. That's usually reserved for them charging a shitload for shitty ports of mobile games or earlier gen games. I think this is a result of Square's complete lack of ability to reign in the juniors from the glory days who took over the helm after the Gooch stepped down. These fuckers just do not know when enough is enough and always shoot way too fucking big to be realistic. 12 was a disaster and languished in damn near development hell before being released, and it was obvious (not saying the game was bad it was just obvious at a point the rest was rushed to get finished). XIII... yeah I don't know on that one exactly but it definitely wasn't anything to write home about and languished through 3 parts. Then you have XV. You can totally tell that shit was originally designed to be MASSIVE. The bulk of the world we got was 2 of what looked like was supposed to be about 10 zones, and it was obvious they realized there was no way in hell that full game could be released in anything less than 20 years. So they took what they had and made that the bulk of what you played then raced through and did limited areas to get the story finished.

Nomura is a disaster yet he is allowed to sit atop the Square side of Square Enix and come with these over the top ideas that are just unrealistic to flesh out. So just truncating everything into a fraction of the world kind of bombed in FF XV. So... why not just split the game up into parts so you can go big or go home like you want to? Sure... But for me? Square doesn't have a chance in hell of ever going back to the glories of old until Nomura and his fellow juniors from the 90s die or retire. Plain and simple.

And what gets me, is these aren't even grand designs. Witcher 3 made tons of cash and charged $59.99 for a fully open world which one up's any ambition with regards to content, game play, wonderous atmosphere, story, side questing, crafting - you name it. All these tools in place on top of a 100+ hour game. And they did it with fewer resources, didn't nickle and dime people to death, gave away all the outfits and skins and even side missions as DLC with the main game included, and when DLC did come out, it was bigger than most games for a fraction of the price. Take note industry: Now they are valued in the billions.

Which goes to my original point: These assholes are charging for their own ineptitude and forwarding that ineptitude on to the consumer, but more than that, being 100% obtuse about it on purpose.

What these people need is a nice come to Jesus meeting to rock their ego's back to reality. (Along with Bethesda) and the ONLY way to do that is to not buy their shit.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
And what gets me, is these aren't even grand designs. Witcher 3 made tons of cash and charged $59.99 for a fully open world which one up's any ambition with regards to content, game play, wonderous atmosphere, story, side questing, crafting - you name it. All these tools in place on top of a 100+ hour game. And they did it with fewer resources, didn't nickle and dime people to death, gave away all the outfits and skins and even side missions as DLC with the main game included, and when DLC did come out, it was bigger than most games for a fraction of the price. Take note industry: Now they are valued in the billions.

Which goes to my original point: These assholes are charging for their own ineptitude and forwarding that ineptitude on to the consumer, but more than that, being 100% obtuse about it on purpose.

What these people need is a nice come to Jesus meeting to rock their ego's back to reality. (Along with Bethesda) and the ONLY way to do that is to not buy their shit.

I could never get into Witcher 3 enough to truly see how big the world was, so I can't compare. But Duscae and that other zone comprised the bulk of FFXV and I'd compare their size to roughly Fallout 4. And it really looked like that was at best a 1/3 of what they had in mind. The game was huge, and I think the only company capable of doing that in a timely manner is your other Antichrist: Ubisoft. But honestly the management issues with Square goes deeper still. Yeah I think Nomura is stupid when it comes to vision scope, but they really suck at actual project management period. They just aren't good at development period and that really has been the case since 1999 when Sakaguchi stepped down. Once they finished up all the projects he was helping bake there in the end, they just cratered. So yes, I agree they are inept, I'm just don't think there is any real malice behind their ineptitude.

• 1Like

Merrith

Too many Ut wall of texts to contend with, but watched some streamers play the demo, didn't want to see most of it cause trying to keep it as fresh as possible (not going to play it myself). Looked great from what I saw, and everyone I saw playing it pretty much echoed the same.

Fogel had it right, if you "want" this to suck, you say it's all shit. The money thing is whatever to me. If I get a full game's worth of enjoyment out of this, $60 ain't shit.

• 1Truth!

Chris

Potato del Grande
Well dude, you literally defend this piece of shit at every opportune time. The business model is horrendous and bullshit. There is no denying that. The facts are facts in this case and the writing is on the wall. It doesn't take a Great Carnack here or anyone that understands even an ounce of game development process (Everyone here does FYI) that a game stop started 3 years ago with it's head turned upside down in a horrid business model from a company that took 10 years to come out with FF15 (40 hours of content) all of a sudden can rip a game from a 3rd party developer and in 3 years accomplish what SE says has the same content level of FF15 in one segment of a remake and in the same breath admit they have no fucking roadmap for future episodes!

They didn't care enough about the remake to do it themselves the first time. Your answer to texture pop and poor resolution and not leveraging our systems is a typical reply of "But when I was 5 I played Space Invaders. It's all about the game play" is the final go to cop out for defense and white knighting. Or worse, listening to some jack hat producer trying to justify saving costs on Art and animation in meeting 45 that day about the direction of the game and what they need to scapegoat to the gullible.

And you know what? I would be WAY more understanding of the shit show this is currently if they just came out and said, "We had some development issues. In light of those, we will be releasing the game we intended to make over episodes rather than a full game launch due to time and budget constraints. We intend to give you as much as we can with the first episode to get the game in your hands, and intend to release the other episodes in good faith on the original business plan over the course of the next few years for the original price of $59.99"

But that didn't happen. And if you believe anything else out of this company at this point I have a fucking bridge for sale with your name on it in Wahun China.

Dense - Party of Two. Todd Howard is waiting anxiously for you at his table in Midgar to join him for dinner.

And let me clue you in on something else you didn't buy into the first time back in January when the demo leaked and told us all we needed to know. Everything came true. The demo, it's content, the lack of textures, the lack of 4k, and the upcoming release of this on PC in March 2021. You know what's left? How much content is left. And I can all but guarantee you 100% that this piece of shit holds about 14-15 hours of main content across 18 chapters with 10 hours of fluffed out padding filler and a complete lack of exploration of the Midgar they say will be just plan enormous! I mean such a huge undertaking right? That's why we are charging $59.99 per episode! WE ARE JUST THAT GOOD WITH CONTENT AND WORLD BUILDING! GAME IS BIGGER THAN WITCHER 3! This will be the most glorious $250 you have spent on 4 episodes with limited content since we invented texture pop!

Don't mind the fact we fucked FF15 right in the ass with post content material and took the staple of the final fantasy genre and handed it to some unknown fucking 3rd party shit stain for low cost development. Don't mind the fact we fucked KH3 in the ass with limited Disney worlds to sell you DLC, in which KH3 to the others is a heartbreak in of itself - NOW we are going to one up the game faster than a Bethesda Fallout 76 freight train headed to Bobby Kotick's private pool by having the Tokyo balls to charge $250 for ONE game split into 4 parts because of our own ineptitude! Why, you should be paying for this, not us! You are just lucky we are here to make games for you right!?

Wow.

I'm just reserving judgement until the game is out, we don't know how long it'll be. If it's really short then you have a point.

I'm not blindly defending it, I posted some nitpicks on the music and graphics and I said the combat was awkward for me though I think it's a learning thing.

• 2Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

you understand chris is actually mentally disabled right?

• 1Like

Merrith

you understand chris is actually mentally disabled right?

I think we might be taking it a little far by classifying liking FF8 as a mental disability. It's close, though.

• 7Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 8 users

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
Had enough time to download it and get through to just after the boss this morning. It looks great, music took me back to 98 when I first got to play it.

That said, voice acting was bad. Do not like the combat system. The fact I can't use items without having an action bar built up is just stupid. I didn't like the combat system in 15, and even the "classic" setting was way too much like 15's. Overall, I'm not hopeful for it now. And it sucks because I really wanted it succeed in the hopes that my two favorite RPGs of all time would get remade: FF III and CT.

Overall, the odds of me buying this are very low.

• 1Like