Final Fantasy VII Remake

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yuffie starts Level 25 with a few materia initially. DLC save file is separate from the base game's save file.

Curious to see if they implement any new materia in this that wasn't in Part 1. Other than new summons, of course.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
If you mean from the normal PS+ cloud, then no, it will not work. You have to have the PS4 version installed and upload your save game to Square Enix's servers from within the game and then download it from the PS5 version's main menu. Sony is still completely inept when it comes to cross-gen stuff.

Blah, I sold my PS4 copy already, and I don't know if I uploaded anything to SE's servers.

To Redbox!

spronk

FPS noob
Blah, I sold my PS4 copy already, and I don't know if I uploaded anything to SE's servers.

To Redbox!

redbox doesn't do video games anymore

you can go to gamestop, buy a used copy, fuck around a bit, and return within 7 days. however if you upgrade with the disc version, you WILL need the disc to play the PS5 version. Only if you own the digital PS4 edition is the PS5 edition digital.

Walmart/gamestop/etc all sell the Integrrade version which includes the Yuffie DLC, gamestop has an exclusive steelbook

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I copied my PS4 saves to my PS5 when I did the PS5 setup, but of course those saves aren't compatible so when I uploaded them to the cloud, the PS5 version of the game won't recognize them. Just gives me an error message that I need to upload my PS4 saves to the cloud (which I have).

So I need to turn on my PS4, update FF7, then upload my saves again?

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I copied my PS4 saves to my PS5 when I did the PS5 setup, but of course those saves aren't compatible so when I uploaded them to the cloud, the PS5 version of the game won't recognize them. Just gives me an error message that I need to upload my PS4 saves to the cloud (which I have).

Depending on your download speed and/or storage space on the PS5 you can just download the PS4 version of the game on the PS5 upload the saves, then delete it.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

To Redbox!
You didn't unless this was very recent. It wasn't until the 1.02 patch (last week) that you could upload your PS4 saves to SE's server. If you bought the PS5 version on disc then spronk's suggestion is about the only way you'll be able to get your saves transferred unless you know someone with a PS4 disc you can borrow. I still can't wrap my head around how retarded Sony is about PS4 and PS5 saves being completely different things that can never cross over; if this was on X1X and Series X it would just work without you having to do anything at all.

Yeah, all you need is the 1.02 patch on your PS4, which is a tiny download. Then launch the game and upload the newest save you have to SE and go over to the PS5 FF7R and download it the same way.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Is this gonna be another PS5 game where I have to choose between 60 FPS and 4K? Cause honestly, I get why it's the way it is, but I hate having to make that choice in every game. I vastly prefer 60 FPS to 30 FPS but I also want to get the most out of my 4K OLED TV, to have vistas be as remarkable as possible when I'm looking out over terrain, etc. So no matter which I go with (usually 60 FPS), I always feel like I'm missing out.

Yep. And the 60 FPS is nothing more than fixed textures and lighting which should have never been broken anyway at 1440p dynamic 4k. Native 4k30 - just upped the resolution to native 2160p and I doubt you will notice a lot of difference. The "upgrade" is a joke. But I have a feeling these upgrades, initially, will be just 60 FPS with little else done save some minor INI tweaks, texture/lighting passes, and maybe a resolution bump.

Hopefully that isn't a trend going forward. I suspect developed games from the ground up will be better. (IE: Horizon 2, Demon's souls was epic good, etc)

Last edited:

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
You didn't unless this was very recent. It wasn't until the 1.02 patch (last week) that you could upload your PS4 saves to SE's server. If you bought the PS5 version on disc then spronk's suggestion is about the only way you'll be able to get your saves transferred unless you know someone with a PS4 disc you can borrow. I still can't wrap my head around how retarded Sony is about PS4 and PS5 saves being completely different things that can never cross over; if this was on X1X and Series X it would just work without you having to do anything at all.

Yeah, all you need is the 1.02 patch on your PS4, which is a tiny download. Then launch the game and upload the newest save you have to SE and go over to the PS5 FF7R and download it the same way.

EDIT: I didn't have Patch 1.02, just looked for patch and found it. Everything's fixed now!

So wait, you need a PS4 to do this? I haven't had one of those since like December.

LOL I went to Gamestop and bought a used PS4 copy of FF7R a little while ago just to do the save transfer (I'll bring said PS4 game back tomorrow). Looking at it now, there's no option in FF7R PS4 to move saves to SE servers or anything.

I guess I'll just uninstall it and install the PS5 version and be on my way.

Why is this so complicated?

It'll bother my OCD having a 0% completed FF7R PS5 version when I got a plat in it and worked very hard for that plat. I guess I can just delete it (you can delete trophy sets that are at 0%) as long as I don't actually do anything in the game outside of the Yuffie story, but I wasn't really planning to anyway.

Again, why is it set up like this? Yarg.

Depending on your download speed and/or storage space on the PS5 you can just download the PS4 version of the game on the PS5 upload the saves, then delete it.

So you don't need a PS4? I need to look this up because I'm really not finding any option anywhere to export saves. Not inside of the game anyway.

What do you get for these trophies that you’re willing to pay money to get them?

Redbox rentals cost like $3, dude. Looks like they aren't a thing anymore, unfortunately. Doing a Gamestop swap costs $0, but it'll use up an hour or so of my time making two trips over there, which sucks.

Yep. And the 60 FPS is nothing more than fixed textures and lighting which should have never been broken anyway at 1440p dynamic 4k. Native 4k30 - just upped the resolution to native 2160p and I doubt you will notice a lot of difference. The "upgrade" is a joke. But I have a feeling these upgrades, initially, will be just 60 FPS with little else done save some minor INI tweaks, texture/lighting passes, and maybe a resolution bump.

Hopefully that isn't a trend going forward. I suspect developed games from the ground up will be better. (IE: Horizon 2, Demon's souls was epic good, etc)

So if I'm understanding this right:

-Original FF7R is 1440p/30fps
-FF7R PS5 can be 2160p/30fps or 1440p/60fps

Is that right?

EDIT: The solution to my problem was to install Patch 1.02, just found it on PS5 by searching for updates. Save upload is now available on the title screen. You DO NOT need a PS4 to do this, to avoid anyone else having confusion.

Last edited:

Vorph

So wait, you need a PS4 to do this? I haven't had one of those since like December.
No, you should be able to do it on the PS5 just fine as well. I just default to saying PS4 because I still had the game installed on my Pro and used that to upload my old save. Then I took the Play disc to my PS5 and installed the free upgrade on it and downloaded my save.

If you're doing it all on a PS5, install the PS4 version from disc, run it, upload your final save from whenever you played it last (which will need to be downloaded from PS+ cloud saves first, of course). Delete the PS4 version, install from your new FF7R Intergrade disc, run the game, and download the save from the main menu just like when you uploaded it earlier.

Vorph

So if I'm understanding this right:

-Original FF7R is 1440p/30fps
-FF7R PS5 can be 2160p/30fps or 1440p/60fps

Is that right?
That's right for PS5. PS4 Pro was 1620p30 with dynamic resolution scaling to prevent frame drops. I would assume the new resolution options in Intergrade also use the same dynamic scaling to lock down the fps.

• 1Like

Angerz

Trakanon Raider

you should be fine, this is what I did as well when I got my PS5. I have the Disk PS4 FF7R, i installed it today to the PS5, it saw my copied save files, I uploaded one of them to the cloud via the game, not PS+, the bought the $0.00 upgrad, deleted the PS4 version, installed the PS5 version, and it imported my save no problem. you don't need to turn on your old PS4.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
The PS5 version looks absolutely splendid on my oled. Set it to favor image over performance, no issues performance-wise.

I'd post a pic but I don't feel like I could make pics that reflect the actual quality of the image.

• 1Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I have an external HD for some of my PS5 games. FFVII Remake is on there. Can I take that HD and move my PS4 save files to it??

spronk

FPS noob
I have an external HD for some of my PS5 games. FFVII Remake is on there. Can I take that HD and move my PS4 save files to it??

no, a USB drive used as game storage cannot take save files since the PS4/PS5 takes up all the space on the drive in its own custom partition. Just use a shitty small USB drive, let the PS4 reformat it, copy the saves to it from your PS4, then plug it into the PS5.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
no, a USB drive used as game storage cannot take save files since the PS4/PS5 takes up all the space on the drive in its own custom partition. Just use a shitty small USB drive, let the PS4 reformat it, copy the saves to it from your PS4, then plug it into the PS5.

Okay this is wildly simpler than the other solutions.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Finished Yuffie DLC. Second half was WAAAAY better than the first simply due to the added character / outfit change, and had some fun surprises. Took me about 6 hours to get through which is a lot more than I expected, and there is still more to do that I missed like the optional mech boss and the Happy Turtle flyers.

It's also interesting that one of the two uberbosses that this adds (the one that isn't the mech)...is actually in the main game. So after beating the Yuffie DLC you go to the main game to fight a new uberboss. So far it seems tougher than any part of Top Secrets, though it's only one foe instead of five so that's good. I got stomped by him because, quite frankly, I don't remember how to play the main game at a high level. Gonna need to brush up on how to Super Tifa again. Using counters with Cloud is probably key there, actually.

I really liked how the ending of the DLC showed you the next few minutes of the main story, with the good guys traveling to / arriving at Kalm Town. Totally unexpected and cool.

UPDATE: Closing in on getting 100%, just need the two optional uberbosses now. If you do everything in the DLC and max out Yuffie/Sonon and their materia, it can take upwards of 20 hours. Really adds a lot to the game. Surprised I'm saying this, but it's worth the $20 if you get the PS5 version used and have to buy it.

Last edited:

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Picked this up for PS5.. and I am hooked.. Game is so much better than I expected it would be and I'm loving the new combat system. Feels like I have so much practice ahead of me to really get the most out of it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users