Final Fantasy VII Remake

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
In terms of end-game prep on your first playthrough, once you get to the end of Chapter 12 if you complete all of the saucer battle square challenges it unlocks all of the Brutal and Legendary fights. 3 of the Brutal ones do not require beating the game to play, so you can fight Hard level 70 enemies and level up through them even on Normal mode. Note that your backup members only get 50% xp and no AP gains.

Yuffie with First Strike + Windstorm and Synergy + Comet on Aerith makes quick work of plenty of rounds so you can level to 70 in a few hours.

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
IMG_0972.jpeg

• 5Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
anybody thinking the obvious ambiguity of the ending wasnt intentional are delusional. that being said, it could have been done better. i do agree that

Seph shouldn't have been the final boss. Again. Have the Aeris scene happen then he taunts you and fucks off, no need to fight him again.

Yeah, in Part 3 I fully expect
Aerith to continuously show up, either as a ghost only Cloud can see, or as the alternate universe version of her when Zack inevitably shows up again.

Speaking of Part 3, when I was replaying the Yuffie DLC I realized that Nero was still around at the end of it and made off with Sonon. Didn't remember that at all, thought Sonon was gone. So we might see Sonon again in Part 3. The fact that Nero's still around also adds a little more weight to the whole Genesis in Part 3 thing.

Malakriss

The crux of OG vs modern is
Loser Sephiroth is the one pulling the puppet strings instead of Jenova masquerading as Sephiroth. So it makes total sense for him to be the last boss although you can argue creative choices around that fact.

As it stands there won't be any parallel timelines or universe in the end, bitch ass loser Sephy is simply trying to make the single version that survives the one in which he wins and fuck over the lifestream in the process a la Jenova motivations. Biggs was a red herring but Zack isn't trying to nuke everything and Sephy doesn't give two shits about him so an alternate version where he survives and ports over to the Prime timeline could be possible and he's simply living after the fact.

Part 2's ending is supposed to be sadness, sorrow, depressing and they captured that well. They did a good job showing how fubar Cloud gets mentally and it's a bit of an unreliable narrator where the party seemingly "goes along with it" from his point of view since he's the locked main party character. Seeing visions of Aerith or a version of the world where he saved her and his headspace going even more wonky is likely for the future. But in the end the path for Part 3 is still on track, it's more a question of how much stuff we get from people that were still around since Crisis Core, Dirge, etc while adding in Wutai and more Weapons showing up later.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The crux of OG vs modern is
Loser Sephiroth is the one pulling the puppet strings instead of Jenova masquerading as Sephiroth. So it makes total sense for him to be the last boss although you can argue creative choices around that fact.

As it stands there won't be any parallel timelines or universe in the end, bitch ass loser Sephy is simply trying to make the single version that survives the one in which he wins and fuck over the lifestream in the process a la Jenova motivations. Biggs was a red herring but Zack isn't trying to nuke everything and Sephy doesn't give two shits about him so an alternate version where he survives and ports over to the Prime timeline could be possible and he's simply living after the fact.

Part 2's ending is supposed to be sadness, sorrow, depressing and they captured that well. They did a good job showing how fubar Cloud gets mentally and it's a bit of an unreliable narrator where the party seemingly "goes along with it" from his point of view since he's the locked main party character. Seeing visions of Aerith or a version of the world where he saved her and his headspace going even more wonky is likely for the future. But in the end the path for Part 3 is still on track, it's more a question of how much stuff we get from people that were still around since Crisis Core, Dirge, etc while adding in Wutai and more Weapons showing up later.

Looking forward to a potential Dirge remake that fixes some of the problems with that game. Just changing the battle system to be like FF7R and CCR would fix a lot of the issues by itself. Always thought that game had a ton of potential to be good and failed in execution. It shows a lot of Midgar and Shinra stuff that we didn't get in the other games, plus they can use it for more Part 3 setup via the Turks and Wutai.

In other news... What's the best way to platinum Rebirth / 100% all the areas? Pick a particular chapter (prolly the last one?) and run around doing everything in the open world? Or start over at Chapter 1 and go through the game again, doing everything as you go? Hopefully the former, and not having to replay from the start until Hard Mode (which is probably the last thing people do for the plat). Not in any hurry to redo the long-ass dungeons in this game, not for a while anyway. Thinking I could get everything else done in small doses and eventually do a replay on hard mode to finish the 100%.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
So still love the game, however around 41 hours now and getting tired of the side stuff. Anyone start pretty much mainlining the story around Chapter 11? I think the main reason why I am like this now is that I had fun going through completing all the side stuff, until when (And had to use spoilers to find out) that I had to complete chapter 12 before being able to go back to do finish the protorelic quest in the golden saucer area. That stuff annoys me. If I get into a region, let me finish everything in the region before advancing the story. I was having fun doing that.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
While I'm enjoying the game, I find in general the side quest and open stuff to be pretty average, and I usually love open world games with tons of stuff on the map to do.

Another thing, is there's way too many mini games, a lot of which are tied to MSQ progression. If I have to play one more card game, I might just quit. The card game while not hard is not fun at all as far as card games go.

I'm just in chapter 8 or so, and I am at the point where I may just go through the MSQ and ignore everything else.

• 1Like

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
While I'm enjoying the game, I find in general the side quest and open stuff to be pretty average, and I usually love open world games with tons of stuff on the map to do.

Another thing, is there's way too many mini games, a lot of which are tied to MSQ progression. If I have to play one more card game, I might just quit. The card game while not hard is not fun at all as far as card games go.

I'm just in chapter 8 or so, and I am at the point where I may just go through the MSQ and ignore everything else.

In terms of minigames at chapter 8 there might be as many left as you've encountered so far.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
So still love the game, however around 41 hours now and getting tired of the side stuff. Anyone start pretty much mainlining the story around Chapter 11? I think the main reason why I am like this now is that I had fun going through completing all the side stuff, until when (And had to use spoilers to find out) that I had to complete chapter 12 before being able to go back to do finish the protorelic quest in the golden saucer area. That stuff annoys me. If I get into a region, let me finish everything in the region before advancing the story. I was having fun doing that.

I went out of my way to do a lot of side stuff in the first 3 areas. Spent way more time in those than the last 3 areas. Around Gongaga I fell off and started mainlining the story for the remainder. Never beat Odin or did much of anything in Nibel region. Cosmo Canyon I did enough to get Bahamut (which I def recommend, he's probably the best summon). As nice as the zone is, Gongaga turned me off because of all the lookout towers that seemed to be on high plateaus with no way to get to them. Never figured that out.

• 1Like

Lenas

Trump's Staff
As nice as the zone is, Gongaga turned me off because of all the lookout towers that seemed to be on high plateaus with no way to get to them. Never figured that out.

... Chocobo mushroom jumps?

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
I went out of my way to do a lot of side stuff in the first 3 areas. Spent way more time in those than the last 3 areas. Around Gongaga I fell off and started mainlining the story for the remainder. Never beat Odin or did much of anything in Nibel region. Cosmo Canyon I did enough to get Bahamut (which I def recommend, he's probably the best summon). As nice as the zone is, Gongaga turned me off because of all the lookout towers that seemed to be on high plateaus with no way to get to them. Never figured that out.
This annoyed me too, just got the last one despite finishing the MSQ.

Plateu tower is a single mushroom jump from the south near the road.

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
Nibel area was super quick too and the best chocobo. Smaller area than the rest and I finished up everything in about an hour. I enjoyed that area the most. Gongaga was a slog, but after I muted the Lion King music it was a bit better.

Malakriss

Corel region was split up, but after you do the Gongaga story point the chocobo grants you free reign over the region. The following two regions give the chocos even quicker and you can basically max the intel for both before going into their respective towns for main story (aside from protorelic stuff).

I didn't touch the hard modes for Corel or Cosmo minigames since I thought they were collectible only, but when i wasn't party level 10 after killing the last boss that's when i learned they give +5 party xp each (x8 total) to finish you out. I'm currently 84/88 on Johnny's progress so the biggest thing left for me to do would be Hard mode and the Chadley stuff locked behind it.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
... Chocobo mushroom jumps?

Didn't see any mushrooms near those areas, but yeah, that's probably the answer. Just got tired of running around and continued the MQ.

What's the best way to platinum Rebirth / 100% all the areas? Pick a particular chapter (prolly the last one?) and run around doing everything in the open world? Or start over at Chapter 1 and go through the game again, doing everything as you go? Hopefully the former, and not having to replay from the start until Hard Mode (which is probably the last thing people do for the plat). Not in any hurry to redo the long-ass dungeons in this game, not for a while anyway. Thinking I could get everything else done in small doses and eventually do a replay on hard mode to finish the 100%.

Anyone know the answer to this? Mainly wondering if you can go back and do everything in Chapter 13 via chapter select.

Merrith

Not sure how much card game you actually have to play at all. Even the tournament thing early on you can literally just immediately forfeit after signing up and progress without playing at all.

Still been 100%ing everything and enjoying it, can echo what others said about last open region, that choco ability and the fact it's a little smaller lets you blow through all that in like an hour tops. Gongaga and Cosmo getting around to everything is a little more involved, but I figure that's why they basically just have you do the main story beats and immediately point you to the next area if you want to just move on. They've been pretty spot on about letting side stuff be optional pacing wise.