Final Fantasy VII Remake

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I HATE Yuffie. Jesus Christ shut the fuck up!

Kinda like how Cait Sith's mere existence brings down the gravitas of every potent cutscene he's in.

-Plate falls, killing thousands of peasants while your heroes struggle helplessly to stop it and the Shinra overlords who planned it dispassionately look on. Cut to a cartoony stuffed cat doing exaggerated mannerisms and falling over like "nooooooo"

-Dyne tragically dies after finding out his baby daughter is still alive and seeing her one more time. Cut to a cartoony stuffed cat sniffling.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Thinking about this, I'm done wanting remakes now. You have to do it 1 to 1 otherwise the magic is lost.

It's even as simple as having Shinra chase you out of Kalm. The fucking town is called Kalm, it's a chance to reset from the climax of Midgar. It's such a small thing but there are a whole lot of small things like that.

Doesn't mean you can't add things in, Chocobo Ranch having more of a story is great.

Dyne not killing himself is a big one, he can't jump off a cliff, but FF16 had a suicide last year where a women slits her own throat because her small child just exploded.

Anyone else looking forward to finding Professor Gast's lab in Icicle, a trap door opening and we get stuck in a 4th boring Hojo lab?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

Video Games and Movie remakes make a flawed assumption. That no one ever re-reads a book.

They feel compelled to change stuff because - well we can’t have our audience that LOVES our product getting what they want! We must subvert those expectations.

Many also lack the talent to take something good and make it better while maintaining what made it good.

take the expansion story games / movie - they actually did well, but just had to add in and keep something new, for no real reason - I.e Genesis in CC etc- take that part out have him actually die and all the expanded completion games nicely expand and add to the story - but nooooo

ff7 is on sale on switch - it’s been a long time

Rude

Potato del Grande
I'm just looking forward Shinra summoning meteor after Xehanort and the rest of Organization 13 talk Sephiroth out of it. Cloud is unlocking all these hearts one by one but without Riku, I mean Zack, in tow I'm not sure he's going to be able to save the planet.

• 2Worf
  • 1Picard

Chris

Potato del Grande
Video Games and Movie remakes make a flawed assumption. That no one ever re-reads a book.

ff7 is on sale on switch - it’s been a long time
FF7 is just a special case where it needs a graphics update because of when it came out.

I have the FF8 Remaster and it's great, all graphics issues are gone.

Weird that 1-6 and 8 for Remastered. 10 and 13 kinda but not to the standard of the others and more like re-releases.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I'm just looking forward Shinra summoning meteor after Xehanort and the rest of Organization 13 talk Sephiroth out of it. Cloud is unlocking all these hearts one by one but without Riku, I mean Zack, in tow I'm not sure he's going to be able to save the planet.
There's gotta be a new end boss right?

Expecting an army of alternate universe Sephrioths we fight, who combine into a Super Sayian Sephrioth.

Like he can't just not wear a shirt again, it's gotta be AAA epic and have 40 phases.

Maybe we can fight Seraph Seprioth on each planet and have a quick time event to dodge the Supernova.

Siliconemelons

FF7 is just a special case where it needs a graphics update because of when it came out.

I have the FF8 Remaster and it's great, all graphics issues are gone.

Weird that 1-6 and 8 for Remastered. 10 and 13 kinda but not to the standard of the others and more like re-releases.

but are the FF8 issues gone from FF8?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Thinking about this, I'm done wanting remakes now. You have to do it 1 to 1 otherwise the magic is lost.

It's even as simple as having Shinra chase you out of Kalm. The fucking town is called Kalm, it's a chance to reset from the climax of Midgar. It's such a small thing but there are a whole lot of small things like that.

Doesn't mean you can't add things in, Chocobo Ranch having more of a story is great.

Dyne not killing himself is a big one, he can't jump off a cliff, but FF16 had a suicide last year where a women slits her own throat because her small child just exploded.

Anyone else looking forward to finding Professor Gast's lab in Icicle, a trap door opening and we get stuck in a 4th boring Hojo lab?

Who was it in FF16 who offed herself? Was it the evil queen? I'm drawing a blank on FF16 in general but I vaguely remember this.

And I agree that they messed up a bunch of magical parts in the FF7 remakes so far:

-Not having Barret's theme play while walking around Sector 7 at the beginning of Pt 1. I had a major sentimental attachment to that theme from high school and it was nowhere to be found here.

-Midgar being so damn bright and daylight-y.

-In Part 1: Too. Much. Sephiroth. All over the place, all the time.

-In Part 2: Too. Much. Robed Guys. All over the place, shambling around creeping everybody out. Part 2 is basically "let's follow these shambling robed guys all around the world". It's Shambling Robed Guys: World Tour. Where will they pop up next!

-Dyne not killing himself. This wasn't "magical" but it was powerful and they changed it to having a bunch of random Shinra run in and do it instead.

-Kalm not being a calm reset at all and being invaded by more Shinra.

-Cid being all happy-go-lucky instead of the bitter guy he is in the original.

-Rocket Town and that whole thing not even existing here, so they completely changed everything about Cid. They might as well have made him a different/new character and left the actual Cid for the next one.

-The camera cutting away during certain incredibly important moment.

-The camera cutting to Cait Sith at gravitas-robbing moments constantly.

-The sky over Midgar not being all dark and stormy (they fixed this in part 2 at least).

-Temple of the Ancients being in a completely different place, looking completely different, making no physical sense (is it flying?)

-Shinra Manor basement being sprawling boring way-too-long dungeon #8 full of monsters instead of a brief, quiet, creepy location.

I'm sure I could keep going on and on and on. At least they added some Crisis Core elements like Cissnei.

• 1Pathetic
  • 1Edgelord
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Just thought of something else. Everyone Dyne kills in the Gold Saucer is a Shinra trooper. In the original he killed a bunch of innocent people, which illustrated how far gone he was. This time they sanitized that by basically having him kill a bunch of the bad guys.

Which makes the reactions of the characters completely nonsensical. They're so upset over Dyne's victims, when said victims are the same guys THEY have been murdering all game.

Starting to think Disney/Marvel-style sanitization is the main problem with this remake. Cait Sith's presence in key emotional scenes to rob gravitas is actually a part of that sanitization as well.

• 2Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Just thought of something else. Everyone Dyne kills in the Gold Saucer is a Shinra trooper. In the original he killed a bunch of innocent people, which illustrated how far gone he was. This time they sanitized that by basically having him kill a bunch of the bad guys.

Which makes the reactions of the characters completely nonsensical. They're so upset over Dyne's victims, when said victims are the same guys THEY have been murdering all game.

Starting to think Disney/Marvel-style sanitization is the main problem with this remake. Cait Sith's presence in key emotional scenes to rob gravitas is actually a part of that sanitization as well.

Dio literally notes guests and staff were in the crossfire of the man with the gun for an arm (who he assumes is Barrett).

• 1Like
  • 1Imbecile

Malakriss

Besides being totally wrong, you are complaining about details that kept the game a T rating instead of a MA.

• 1Moron

joz123

Potato del Grande
so what kept the original from being MA?
Youtube Eyebrows GIF by SoulPancake

• 2Worf

Merrith

It's actually impressive how much that scene was able to convey even with the limited tech back then. The scene in current game even more devastating, to be honest. VA did a great job.

• 1Imbecile

Rude

Potato del Grande
It's actually impressive how much that scene was able to convey even with the limited tech back then. The scene in current game even more devastating, to be honest. VA did a great job.
Not shitting your own pants qualifies as impressive by your standards. Not a spectacular bar to aim for by any stretch.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf

Merrith

Not shitting your own pants qualifies as impressive by your standards. Not a spectacular bar to aim for by any stretch.

Please, you even typing the words standards is fucking laughable. Occasionally you won't post something completely moronic, but 99% of anything you think, say, or comment is complete and utter shit. You'd do better to be a pretend troll, people might at least chuckle for you.

• 1Like
  • 1Imbecile
  • 1Worf