Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

khorum

Murder Apologist
449 now woo. So I kept redoing some of the eden trials a few times to roll for my last two leggings tokens and you can tell the groups getting worse and worse after breakfast.

Any word if they're gonna drop the weekly caps on the Normal tokens when savage comes out?

Also I've been getting disconnected after alt-tabbing for a few minutes a lot this morning, anyone else been getting that?

Nola

Trakanon Raider
449 now woo. So I kept redoing some of the eden trials a few times to roll for my last two leggings tokens and you can tell the groups getting worse and worse after breakfast.

Any word if they're gonna drop the weekly caps on the Normal tokens when savage comes out?

Also I've been getting disconnected after alt-tabbing for a few minutes a lot this morning, anyone else been getting that?
My office computer does that sometimes when I alt-tab out but it never happens on my gaming computer. I could never figure out what causes it.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Must be happening a lot since FC chat is spammed with "XXX has logged in" as soon as I get back on.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If you already beat WoW back in 2004-2006 why would you do the nerfed 1.12 version of it 15 years later. Sure as hell won't be for the community.

Also, if you're on an S rank as a healer doing 1/2 the DPS of a black mage instead of spamming AE heals for 4x the credit of a black mage, GTFO.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
If you already beat WoW back in 2004-2006 why would you do the nerfed 1.12 version of it 15 years later. Sure as hell won't be for the community.

Also, if you're on an S rank as a healer doing 1/2 the DPS of a black mage instead of spamming AE heals for 4x the credit of a black mage, GTFO.
Yeah I had my glory. Sure as fuck am not raiding with 39 downy fucks from this place

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
I really don't get where the salt lies in the duration of Vanilla MSQ.

Yes, it's long. It's meant to convey the story of 3 different factions and a ton of locations over 50 levels and gearing up to raid level 50.

I did ALL of the MSQ, no skip, sure there are some dry periods but you can straight up *CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* your way through boring conversations.

The main issue, IMHO, is that people buy the most recent expansion and want to play ONLY that expansion. To me, that isn't what FFXIV was designed to be about, it isn't about "SMASH TO MAX LEVEL AND GRIND THEM HEROICS AND RAIDS BRO!" it's a long grind story where if you do the story quests you end up with gear nearly on par with current (as of the patch cycle) raid gear.

The reason, as far as I am aware, that they added a MSQ skip was for people who had already done the MSQ on another character. It's intended use wasn't brand new players to the game and franchise because what is the point of skipping the story in a story driven MMO?

---

The other thing that makes me chuckle is when people as "Am I too late?" for FFXIV.

No, FFXIV doesn't currently have a "Too Late" period, you have people constantly grinding old content since there is content sync for raids and instances. Now you may be "Too Late" for some content that is basically seasonal only or a promotion based release but GENERALLY most content in FFXIV is able to be done at any time by anyone.

The game was designed to be played for a LOOOONG time over a long period of time.

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
Yeah the MSQ isn't all that long in the grand scheme of how much time people generally spend playing MMOs ___ANYWAY___.

If you were to compare it to FF15 or other single-player games then sure MAYBE.... But then it's not even as long as a good completionist Skyrim or Witcher 3 playthrough.

Last edited:

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I actually liked the story with 2.0, but I was super invested having played 1.0 for years prior to ARR's release.

Like Valderen said: It all depends on your goals when you play XIV. My goal was the story primarily and the content secondarily. You have so much time to catch up with the 2 month patch cycles that I take my time with the story stuff and smell the roses, because it won't be long before you're doing the same old content every day waiting for the next story drop.

I do agree that ARR has some superfluous shit that they could remove though, the endless fetch quests between 2.0 and 2.55 can be a bit much, and it's sad because it overshadows the actual good story between that with Alphinaud and the Monetarists.

I think they should also change Meridianum and Praetorium too, by turning them into proper dungeons (one at 49/50, and one at 50) with the final bosses of Prae being made into their own separate trial.

If they stuck to the story part and removed the filler, then I don't see how anyone could really complain about 2.0 because the plot was good, and built the world up which is integral to HW and ShB.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I haven't posted for a few weeks but man the ShB story was fantastic. I really enjoyed the direction they went with the dichotomy between light and dark (even though that's been explored before in XIV) and I really liked the Scions and Exarch. I would in fact say that the Exarch is one of my favourite XIV characters right now.

I really liked the foreshadowing of us having to potentially deal with what caused the cataclysm pre sundering too. The idea that they heard a sound from underground and then lost control of their creation magicks meaning that they couldn't stop creating which resulted in their darkest fears becoming manifest is as cool as fuck. I'm almost certain that our next big bad is going to be Zenos for 5.x and Elidibus for 6.0. After that I really hope we tackle the mystery of what happened with the initial cataclysm.

• 1Like

Pharone

Trakanon Raider

Sadly my brother is going to force me to play WoW Classic with him. I pretty much hate WoW these days, but it's the only thing that my brother and I have to do together now that we quit EverQuest (after a very unhealthy almost two decades of that cesspool).

• 1Worf

khorum

Murder Apologist
I wouldn't worry about that too much. At worst you'll lose a couple weeks to wow classic before nostalgia gives way to reality.

If your brother tried FFXIV and he still thinks vanilla wow was the more polished product, then he's almost certainly gonna find other things to do than log into wow classic before you do.

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
I haven't posted for a few weeks but man the ShB story was fantastic. I really enjoyed the direction they went with the dichotomy between light and dark (even though that's been explored before in XIV) and I really liked the Scions and Exarch. I would in fact say that the Exarch is one of my favourite XIV characters right now.

I really liked the foreshadowing of us having to potentially deal with what caused the cataclysm pre sundering too. The idea that they heard a sound from underground and then lost control of their creation magicks meaning that they couldn't stop creating which resulted in their darkest fears becoming manifest is as cool as fuck. I'm almost certain that our next big bad is going to be Zenos for 5.x and Elidibus for 6.0. After that I really hope we tackle the mystery of what happened with the initial cataclysm.
RE: Spoiler block

I'm personally expecting the Terminus* to be the focus of 6.0, now. 5.x I'm predicting will involve the rehabilitation of the First (steering it well away from Rejoining conditions) and the "Warriors of Light" thing that Elidibus has scheming, culminating in us bringing everyone back from the First to the Source. We'll continue to get "Meanwhile on the Source" cutscenes with Gaius and Estinien, and Zenos will continue his path towards over-9000% psychosis and 5.x will end with him consuming either Hydaelyn or Zodiark and setting off a chain of events that 6.0 will cover.

(* The Terminus is my personal name for the cataclysm that ended the Ascians' era and the ancient world.)

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Sadly my brother is going to force me to play WoW Classic with him. I pretty much hate WoW these days, but it's the only thing that my brother and I have to do together now that we quit EverQuest (after a very unhealthy almost two decades of that cesspool).
Yuck

Yuck

Malkav

French Madman
RE: Spoiler block

I'm personally expecting the Terminus* to be the focus of 6.0, now. 5.x I'm predicting will involve the rehabilitation of the First (steering it well away from Rejoining conditions) and the "Warriors of Light" thing that Elidibus has scheming, culminating in us bringing everyone back from the First to the Source. We'll continue to get "Meanwhile on the Source" cutscenes with Gaius and Estinien, and Zenos will continue his path towards over-9000% psychosis and 5.x will end with him consuming either Hydaelyn or Zodiark and setting off a chain of events that 6.0 will cover.

(* The Terminus is my personal name for the cataclysm that ended the Ascians' era and the ancient world.)

You know, with what's shaping up to be Eden (rehabilitating a world wiped clean with Light) and the involvement of the "Oracle of Darkness", plus what's is told during the 5th Role quest, I'm really starting to expect that we will have to deal with the 13th (The Void) at some point.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Stupid question but is Eden just these 4 bosses or will more be added? Or just another different raid later? Not sure how raid releases work here

khorum

Murder Apologist
The Eden story barely even starts after the 4 bosses. We haven't even seen one of the main characters yet since she's still in a coma with Thancred watching her sleep.

The previous raids usually ended with up 12-16 bosses for the whole raid series.

Malkav

French Madman
Stupid question but is Eden just these 4 bosses or will more be added? Or just another different raid later? Not sure how raid releases work here

There are 3 tiers of 8-man each expansion. Each tier is 4 bosses. A normal version and a Savage version (released next Tuesday for this tier).
There is a new tier every 6 months.

Patch cycle is 3 months. You basically get : 8-man tier 1-> Alliance raid tier 1->8-man tier 2->Alliance raid tier 2->8man tier 3-> Alliance tier 3->End of the expansion.

Each patch also comes with more MSQ, and alternate between 2 new dungeons and 1 new dungeons + a new trial (and EX version of said trial).