Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

khorum

Murder Apologist
I know people rave about ARR+ through stormblood but shadowbringers msq was enough for me. Felt like too much to be honest

LOL they should've restricted the MSQ skip services to people who have already finished it and only want it for 2boxing or 2nd characters. Because that's what it was meant for.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Late response but that place reminds me of the underwater bit in Bedknobs and Broomsticks. Something something along, at the bottom of the beautiful briiiiny sea... (Cheesy old movie that I swear everyone else dodged in childhood.) It is really out of place for the rest of the game, but meh, sorta fits where it came from I guess.

Oh god, my childhood is flooding back.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
LOL they should've restricted the MSQ skip services to people who have already finished it and only want it for 2boxing or 2nd characters. Because that's what it was meant for.
I wouldn't have played honestly. It's a dumbass design

• 1Worf
  • 1WTF
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

Is that the one where the Germans try to invade and they use magic to defeat them at the end?

khorum

Murder Apologist
I wouldn't have played honestly. It's a dumbass design
Wellp...wait till you discover the """"endgame"""".

It's a final fantasy game. It's an on-rails narrative visual novel with an MMO crafting sandbox patched to it. You paid to skip the actual GAME.

Let's hope they make the ShB version of Eureka a roguelike crossover with the From's DarkSoul's team and require players to craft their own temporary shelter and hunt for food every 15 minutes. That would actually make it worthwhile for a few years.

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Wellp...wait till you discover the """"endgame"""".

It's a final fantasy game. It's an on-rails narrative visual novel with an MMO crafting sandbox patched to it.

Let's hope they make the ShB version of Europa a roguelike crossover with the From's DarkSoul's theme and require people to craft their own temporary shelter and hunt for food every 15 minutes.
I mean I played ffxi for years. I know how they treat endgame

It was probably worse there

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm not clueless to your point.

Let me expand on my point.

Let's take utnayan or pharone as an example. If they want to play this game, what incentive do they have in buying shadowbringers right now? NONE. that's a lost box sale because for months they won't even be close to that content.

People say ARR is the worst content in the game. How many people will die out before completing it? Certainly pharone did it, but most won't.

I also take issue that utnayan, for days, could not make a character on ANY SERVER. It's not a good system. Imagine buying a game, paying for a sub and just straight up being unable to create a character ANYWHERE.

I understand what square is doing. They want the cohesive story told. But at some point they need to realize that there's 9 years crammed into this game, and forcing people to slog through months worth of old content is bad design. I don't mind paying $25, but most people will be entirely turned off on that.

I realize end game isn't going to be mythic raiding. I play the game for a myriad of reasons with endgame just being one of them. The final fantasy world is my favorite world of all time. I was a big ffxi player (it was my eq) and I've always wanted to play this game. I just ain't gonna slog through the sewer to do it.

• 3Like

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
In one of the Q&A's Yoshi himself said that MSQ gating is a problem for new players and the devs will do something about it but just not yet.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
It's not THAT much of a problem or they would have made it a priority, but yeah they'll eventually have to do something. With the New Game + shit they might actually have some new tech they can use to do stuff that lets people temporarily skip the MSQ or whatever. That said if you were a cynic you'd say they won't fix it so they can keep selling boosts. But don't know, I think they'd just make good enough money selling class boosts if people could skip the MSQ anyway.

Cybsled

ARR isn't that hard a fix. They can easily cut 50-75% of the post-ARR/pre-HW MSQ fluff by either nixing it altogether (Tataru figuring out a job skill shit) or condensing the "pray return to the walking sands" shit so you don't spend hours just going back and forth for minimal exposition. They could easily trim the 100+ post-ARR MSQ slog to 25 or less easily and not really lose much if they did it smartly. HW you could also trim a bit, although not as heavily as ARR.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Melded my miner retainer out to hit the 2083 cap (gets you 30x Dimythrite level 80 venture). You can do it with full crafted set and only using Gather VIs + overmelded IVs (58% for IV overmeld first slot) but it's essentially 4500 yellow scrips of materia per retainer.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I mean, it’s not THAT bad. I think that if they wanted to fix anything regarding ARR - they should just rewrite bits of the story that really don’t make any sense.
They have a room in waking sands that never gets used. Instead of writing out the option to port there - they should have just put a minor crystal in that room that you can attune to. If they did that, I believe they could cut off a good hour if not more from just that short run between the crystal and waking sands.
If they went through the quests and consolidated them, they would cut down on multiple hours of slog. I went through the primals in ARR because I try to finish every blue quest. Only to find out that they are required In the post ARR story quests to move further. I ended up just running them again with my g/f so she could knock them out. You have to kill this primal, then run back to waking sands, then kill another primal, run back, and then to kill another primal. Why in God’s name can’t the player at least have all three quests separately? Much less all of the primals originating from there.
There are a bunch of things they can do to lessen the impact of travel and uninteresting quests involving the MSQ in ARR. They just need to do it and stop putting it off for an ARR revamp or whatever they have planned. Regardless of that fact, I still enjoyed playing through ARR. it could have just been..... better.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
They need to just rework the msq so that it finishes when you hit 50, hw when you hit 60, etc. It should be organic. It isn't right now

• 1Like

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I mean, I'm one of the minority who didn't think the ARR story was bad, or dragged on. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but for all the points being made, you gotta realize - sub numbers are increasing constantly. New people are showing up, and clearly sticking around at the rate the numbers have been increasing each month. It clearly ain't THAT bad.

• 1Like

Cybsled

They need to just rework the msq so that it finishes when you hit 50, hw when you hit 60, etc. It should be organic. It isn't right now

That doesn't work without a massive retooling and nerfing of XP rates or other bonuses (road to 70, etc). I dont really think that is the main problem anyways. The issue is you can't start new xpac content until you finish all the previous xpac MSQ content, so you're a level 55 doing 50 stuff. Consolidating the post-ARR/pre-HW stuff would fix that without fucking around with XP/etc.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
ARR isn't that hard a fix. They can easily cut 50-75% of the post-ARR/pre-HW MSQ fluff by either nixing it altogether (Tataru figuring out a job skill shit) or condensing the "pray return to the walking sands" shit so you don't spend hours just going back and forth for minimal exposition. They could easily trim the 100+ post-ARR MSQ slog to 25 or less easily and not really lose much if they did it smartly. HW you could also trim a bit, although not as heavily as ARR.

Haha yeah I’m already tired of that walking sands travel and I’m not even 30 yet. That is getting old. Wouldn’t be so bad if they put the crystal there to fast travel to it, but I have to run from the jump marker and keep my home base at the city.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Did Eden last minute tonight. Nothing too crazy but the second tanks in every fight basically just DPSed. Only on Titan did we wipe because the 2nd tank was sleeping (I can eat two debuffs with Holmgang, but after that...)

Only 434 ilvl, excited to try savage

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Haha yeah I’m already tired of that walking sands travel and I’m not even 30 yet. That is getting old. Wouldn’t be so bad if they put the crystal there to fast travel to it, but I have to run from the jump marker and keep my home base at the city.
Oh you poor poor soul. You TP to Lim Limosa, go to atherite and jump to arcanist guild and take the ferry to Vesper Bay and you end up right next to waking sands.

• 1Like

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
Or taking a bit more time you port to the zone crystal and rent a ride there. Then you can watch your some netflix or read something while being taken there.

• 1Like