Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Kantern

Silver Knight of the Realm
Did they ever do anything with the post ARR questing to get to heavensword?

No, but it will be fixed before next expansion. I believe 5.3 for the start.

They did add sky boxes for flying mounts in the last major patch to all ARR zones.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I don't expect they'll add flying before next expansion but it's probably in preparation, since I assume some stuff will take place there.

And yeah the ARR rework hasn't started just yet. Probably better to hold off until next year to play if you want the full rework, 5.5 should be around february 2021 or so and should probably have all of it, as well as almost all the expansion content(could wait until spring 2021 or so for 5.55 which usually is the last patch of the expansion). There's a large lull in content at the end of the expansion which is a great time to start playing(and by large I mean for FFXIV, it's about 6months from thelast major path or 4 from the very last, not the 10+months WoW stuff)

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Can you use the fantasia potion for races you haven't unlocked? Or do you have to have the corresponding expansion to fantasia to them?

khorum

Murder Apologist
Can you start as an expansion race in another server? If so then I think you should be able to fantasia to it.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Can you use the fantasia potion for races you haven't unlocked? Or do you have to have the corresponding expansion to fantasia to them?
Obviously need the expansion, you can't use expansion content without the expansion. You can fantasia once you have them unlocked but until then just sit on your fantasia(in case of, you get one fantasia for free for finishing the ARR MSQ).

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Anyway to macro some kind of reminder to refresh dots? Been playing Bard but I am really bad at remembering to keep that shit up.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Anyway to macro some kind of reminder to refresh dots? Been playing Bard but I am really bad at remembering to keep that shit up.

Considering Iron Jaws to refresh 30s long dots lines up with song timers, should be pretty easy to line up 30s refresh/CD's

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Considering Iron Jaws to refresh 30s long dots lines up with song timers, should be pretty easy to line up 30s refresh/CD's

Ha, jokes on you I forget to refresh songs too!

Suffice it to say i'm pretty trash atm but that is a good tip.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Ha, jokes on you I forget to refresh songs too!

Suffice it to say i'm pretty trash atm but that is a good tip.
You can kinda make alerts in ACT and I think there's a mod to do it more efficiently(spelltimers? try googling that iirc that's what it was).

That's why I hate Bard though and never play it more than just get it to cap, I fucking hate all the maintenance on top of the procs to watch for, can't relax at all playing it. Meanwhile you can play MCH and you never really "miss" anything, worst case you forget to press a cooldown right away and you'll drift a bit compared to raid cooldowns but for casual content it doesn't matter/people are terrible at lining up cooldowns anyway, and rest of the time you just press the buttons as they come instead of having to keep track of several different timers.

And the song stuff doesn't work I believe, haven't checked the balance for bard in forever though but last time I did you had to cut the 3rd song at 20secs cause songs were 80s cd, so it doesn't line up after one rotation. Might have changed though they buffed paeon or whatever the skillspeed song is to do stuff once it wears off.

• 1Like

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
You can kinda make alerts in ACT and I think there's a mod to do it more efficiently(spelltimers? try googling that iirc that's what it was).

That's why I hate Bard though and never play it more than just get it to cap, I fucking hate all the maintenance on top of the procs to watch for, can't relax at all playing it. Meanwhile you can play MCH and you never really "miss" anything, worst case you forget to press a cooldown right away and you'll drift a bit compared to raid cooldowns but for casual content it doesn't matter/people are terrible at lining up cooldowns anyway, and rest of the time you just press the buttons as they come instead of having to keep track of several different timers.

And the song stuff doesn't work I believe, haven't checked the balance for bard in forever though but last time I did you had to cut the 3rd song at 20secs cause songs were 80s cd, so it doesn't line up after one rotation. Might have changed though they buffed paeon or whatever the skillspeed song is to do stuff once it wears off.

Yeah, leveled up Bard because I wanted a face roll job to prog with but i'm already thinking i'm better off sticking with Ninja. Been putting off setting up ACT but maybe i'll give it a try before writing the job off.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, leveled up Bard because I wanted a face roll job to prog with but i'm already thinking i'm better off sticking with Ninja. Been putting off setting up ACT but maybe i'll give it a try before writing the job off.
Ninja is somewhat complex too but I find it easier to keep track of, after the 5.1 reworks. Mostly you have to keep an eye on trick attack and pretty much everything revolves around it, with only a few other cooldowns not aligning(bunshin and TCJ iirc). So as long as you get your opener right, everything just pops back up as you get trick attack back and you just do it again somewhat the same.

But yeah if you wanted something easier there were a lot of better options. RDM/MCH/DNC/DRG is where it's at for the easy to play stuff, and they perform decently enough, RDM is kinda bad compared to SMN(but that's more cause SMN is still kinda too strong) but both MCH and DNC do well for the ranged DPS and DRG is a solid pick for melee(although being melee it has more going on with the positionals but it's the easiest out of them all I think).

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Ninja is somewhat complex too but I find it easier to keep track of, after the 5.1 reworks. Mostly you have to keep an eye on trick attack and pretty much everything revolves around it, with only a few other cooldowns not aligning(bunshin and TCJ iirc). So as long as you get your opener right, everything just pops back up as you get trick attack back and you just do it again somewhat the same.

But yeah if you wanted something easier there were a lot of better options. RDM/MCH/DNC/DRG is where it's at for the easy to play stuff, and they perform decently enough, RDM is kinda bad compared to SMN(but that's more cause SMN is still kinda too strong) but both MCH and DNC do well for the ranged DPS and DRG is a solid pick for melee(although being melee it has more going on with the positionals but it's the easiest out of them all I think).

I guess MCH got way simplified, I remember them being pretty involved with low reward circa 4.1ish? Maybe i'll casually level one up. DNC I hear is where it's at but I don't care much for the aesthetic as dumb as it sounds.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
SAM is also pretty simple for doing great damage. I've been really enjoying it and I don't floortank nearly as much as SAM as I did on DRG either while also doing consistently more damage.

Cybsled

MCH did get heavily simplified, although the heat/overheat juggle was kind of a pain in the ass.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
SAM is also pretty simple for doing great damage. I've been really enjoying it and I don't floortank nearly as much as SAM as I did on DRG either while also doing consistently more damage.
Yeah SAM's pretty easy but I find there's a bunch of planning that goes into it if you don't want to "feel bad" because that shit just doesn't fit properly so you end up having to improvise with what sen you get and then what you use with meikyo and stuff. It's not too complicated but DRG was more straightforward since it's literally just the same shit over and over and you just use stuff as it cool downs, no thinking involved(I guess you have to make sure to not use mirage before geirskogul once you have enough but that's really it) while SAM has you thinking a bit, although it's not a huge loss if you don't fuck up too bad and easily recoverable.

Melees in general are a bit more demanding though, cause of positionals and keeping uptime while doing mechanics can require some quick thinking and a good understanding of the timings for the attacks you're dodging(can I stay for half a second more to get another GCD off before I run out of this aoe kind of thing), so ranged is quite a bit easier for mindless grinding.

And MCH is definitely a lot simpler now, it does get a bunch of "press a lot of buttons" times though, basically everytime you press overheat, which is like every 30secs or whatever, you get your GCD down to 1.5s and have to weave an oGCD between each GCD, leading to around 10keys in 8secs. It's fairly straightforward though, not proc based anymore and not many buttons overall, and it looks nice. I liked MCH a lot in 5.0 and 5.1 used it a bunch to farm primals and what not, it was pretty relaxing even with the burst phases.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Merrith

You are supposed to cut the one song at 10 sec, that's true, but figure by then you have a feel for when to refresh dots. I mean the fact that Iron Jaws does both, and you literally only have to press it once every 30 seconds...really not that hard. The procs are pretty easy to deal with to in that if it's Refulgent it just replaces your normal standard attack, or they're from the songs and they're oGCD anyways. Much less stuff to worry about on Brd in ShB, for my 2 cents.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
You are supposed to cut the one song at 10 sec, that's true, but figure by then you have a feel for when to refresh dots. I mean the fact that Iron Jaws does both, and you literally only have to press it once every 30 seconds...really not that hard. The procs are pretty easy to deal with to in that if it's Refulgent it just replaces your normal standard attack, or they're from the songs and they're oGCD anyways. Much less stuff to worry about on Brd in ShB, for my 2 cents.

I mean, for optimal up time you wanna refresh <4 seconds which can easily be missed while learning mechanics for prog. I'm pretty potato, but it's a common gripe with the job. A reminder macro would help tons which is why I was asking, but yeah it's a pretty easy job outside of prog.

Been leveling MCH on the side, didn't consider how they share gear or I would of done it sooner. So far I like it. Fast paced, fewer buttons and no utility to worry about. My kind job!

Merrith

I mean, for optimal up time you wanna refresh <4 seconds which can easily be missed while learning mechanics for prog. I'm pretty potato, but it's a common gripe with the job. A reminder macro would help tons which is why I was asking, but yeah it's a pretty easy job outside of prog.

Been leveling MCH on the side, didn't consider how they share gear or I would of done it sooner. So far I like it. Fast paced, fewer buttons and no utility to worry about. My kind job!

< 2 seconds man, push it!