Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I don't think you can bring over the UI, but you can probably map stuff to the gamepad. Probably a pain in the ass.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I don't think you can bring over the UI, but you can probably map stuff to the gamepad. Probably a pain in the ass.
Under character customization there is an option at the top where you can switch the hotbar to the PS3 gamepad version (cross something). However, they still have not given PC users access to the UI that comes when you press start on the PS3. You still have to use the menu at the bottom right.

Not really a problem to map buttons and the likes, but it might become worse at higher levels if there are more skills.

My biggest problem now is that I do not understand what things make the FPS go down in the graphics options. Is it HORRIBLY unoptimized? I run on a laptop. If I try to limit to 30 or 60 frames, it becomes very slow. On unlimited it can vary. However, there seems to be no performace gain or loss by using or not using the various options.

- Changing the resolution
- AA on or off
- Improved graphics on or off

Changing these has no visible impact on my FPS. I do not understand why. I run it on an old laptop, and it is strange how I get 20fps with nearly maxed settings and 20 fps when I set things to low at a much lower resolution, nearly looking worse than the PS3 version.

wanand

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Late to the party, but I had the original game and registered etc, I was under the impression that anyone who owned and registered the original version would be in the beta by now? I only got around to checking my account today but I cannot see anywhere in the account management about beta access.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Almost finished installing on my work laptop which is an HP Folio 9470m, interested to see if it'll run at all. Brought my PS3 controller to try that out too. Hotel internet... yay 0.4 MB/s

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
so whats everyone up to this weekend.
Logged in for a bit to check out gathering speed, it goes pretty fast with rested xp but I don't know about doing it otherwise feels like a huge chore in the early levels at least. I wanted to maybe run a few dungeons as Marauder but they removed the NPCs that bump your level to 15 they forgot last weekend, and don't feel like lvling to that on my MRD. So yeah not much to do, waiting for the real game now.

bho

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Logged in for a bit to check out gathering speed, it goes pretty fast with rested xp but I don't know about doing it otherwise feels like a huge chore in the early levels at least. I wanted to maybe run a few dungeons as Marauder but they removed the NPCs that bump your level to 15 they forgot last weekend, and don't feel like lvling to that on my MRD. So yeah not much to do, waiting for the real game now.
they didnt remove those NPCs

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
I'm pretty much out of things to do at 35. Only one I haven't done is kill Cancer. The last couple rank 2 Grand Company mobs were fun to duo though.

Guess I'll mess around on some other classes a bit to see what's up. The crafting I've done seems more interesting than normal crafting but still not something I can ever see someone enjoy doing. All it really accomplishes is making it impossible for me to level it up while working.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
That's the same boat I'm in. The only thing I enjoy doing in the game--or at least enjoy enough to do on characters that are getting wiped--is heal groups in dungeons, and I'm pretty much tapped out on stuff do to there for now.

Gathering isn't too bad, just way too little xp unless you do leves for it. Actual crafting I can't stand at all, everything takes forever to do and has a ton of micromanagement. Weaving in particular is horrible due to having early-EQ2-style subcombines out the ass. Not only does that make it take ages to make a single piece of armor, it also means that weaving requires an absurd amount of shards for each piece as well.

I keep seeing people say that you can do battle leves and somehow turn them in as your craft/gather class but that has never worked for me when I tried it.

Tide27_sl

shitlord
Has anyone gotten any of the controllers to work with this yet? I have the standard 360 wired controller that works with everything else, except this. It detects it, but when you go to calibrate it, nothing happens.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Has anyone gotten any of the controllers to work with this yet? I have the standard 360 wired controller that works with everything else, except this. It detects it, but when you go to calibrate it, nothing happens.
Yeah, I've used my wired X360 controller for both PS and P3 without any hitches what so ever. Their stuff definitely works.

Stave

Potato del Grande
Under character customization there is an option at the top where you can switch the hotbar to the PS3 gamepad version (cross something). However, they still have not given PC users access to the UI that comes when you press start on the PS3. You still have to use the menu at the bottom right.

Not really a problem to map buttons and the likes, but it might become worse at higher levels if there are more skills.

My biggest problem now is that I do not understand what things make the FPS go down in the graphics options. Is it HORRIBLY unoptimized? I run on a laptop. If I try to limit to 30 or 60 frames, it becomes very slow. On unlimited it can vary. However, there seems to be no performace gain or loss by using or not using the various options.

- Changing the resolution
- AA on or off
- Improved graphics on or off

Changing these has no visible impact on my FPS. I do not understand why. I run it on an old laptop, and it is strange how I get 20fps with nearly maxed settings and 20 fps when I set things to low at a much lower resolution, nearly looking worse than the PS3 version.
The thing I noticed that helps FPS the most is the LOD options. Also make sure you have culling on.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I just set up my DS3 to work with it on PC as well. If it detects it make sure you go to devices in control panel and make sure it is really working. At first final fantasy was detecting the DS3 but wouldn't let me calibrate. Even going in to control panel it claimed it was detected, but again would not let me calibrate. Had to update my driver and the whole shebang worked again.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
How is the storyline in this game? I know lore / story in MMO's are typically the thing you escape or click through as quick as possible and ignore, but I've enjoyed the story of FF games in the past. Is the "main" questline something that is worth following along with where you look forward to the next step to find out what happens next?

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Probably a stupid question, but has anyone read if kbm support will be available on ps3? I assume not but haven't found anything which says either way.

Try as I might, I just can't get into using a controller. Targeting is quite terrible.

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
How is the storyline in this game? I know lore / story in MMO's are typically the thing you escape or click through as quick as possible and ignore, but I've enjoyed the story of FF games in the past. Is the "main" questline something that is worth following along with where you look forward to the next step to find out what happens next?
Well in 11 it was actually pretty good. I've done a lot of click through on this (they need to add some voice if they can) but I guess the foundation looks ok