Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
How is the storyline in this game? I know lore / story in MMO's are typically the thing you escape or click through as quick as possible and ignore, but I've enjoyed the story of FF games in the past. Is the "main" questline something that is worth following along with where you look forward to the next step to find out what happens next?
Well right now the quest stops a bit early to tell how it's gonna be, but it seems to be heavily inspired by older FFs stories. You have various monster tribes trying to resurect their primals(ifrit garuda ramuh etc) and you have an evil Empire using magitek(gunblades, airships, FF6 magitek mech armor etc) that's on the offensive trying to conquer the world. The good guys are basically 3 nations(forest peaceful guys, desert strong guys and sea proud guys) that have to deal with all the primals shit on their own but also with the threat of invasion from the empire. I think it's shaping up to be pretty good at the moment.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Probably a stupid question, but has anyone read if kbm support will be available on ps3? I assume not but haven't found anything which says either way.

Try as I might, I just can't get into using a controller. Targeting is quite terrible.
It's mostly there, but doesn't quite work yet last I heard. The main issue is getting the PC-style hotkey bar and binding keys to it, still a work in progress there.

Targeting with the pad isn't set up well by default. I had to make a couple custom filters, and I use them extensively. One is to filter out everything but Friends, so I can hard-target a FATE boss and then use the d-pad to select only other players for temp-target heals. Without that filter, healing randoms was a fucking nightmare. The other is to switch to Engaged Enemies, to filter out all the other shit in the background that it cycles through by default. And then I also kept the standard ones for 'All' and 'Enemies'. Note that filter customization is completely disabled by default, you have to go into options and set it up before you can use any of them.

Once I got used to using that stuff, the gamepad controls were perfect and I can do just about everything a lot faster than with the mouse and keyboard. Literally the only change I want is a way to disable the white text on blue background nonsense that comes up when you use the triggers. The option to do that is there now even, it's just not clickable.

People using their DS3 on PC, you're using MotionInJoy, right? If not, you really should be. Doubly so if you happen to have a Bluetooth dongle for your computer, so that you can use it wireless just like on the PS3.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
It's mostly there, but doesn't quite work yet last I heard. The main issue is getting the PC-style hotkey bar and binding keys to it, still a work in progress there.

Targeting with the pad isn't set up well by default. I had to make a couple custom filters, and I use them extensively. One is to filter out everything but Friends, so I can hard-target a FATE boss and then use the d-pad to select only other players for temp-target heals. Without that filter, healing randoms was a fucking nightmare. The other is to switch to Engaged Enemies, to filter out all the other shit in the background that it cycles through by default. And then I also kept the standard ones for 'All' and 'Enemies'. Note that filter customization is completely disabled by default, you have to go into options and set it up before you can use any of them.

Once I got used to using that stuff, the gamepad controls were perfect and I can do just about everything a lot faster than with the mouse and keyboard. Literally the only change I want is a way to disable the white text on blue background nonsense that comes up when you use the triggers. The option to do that is there now even, it's just not clickable.

People using their DS3 on PC, you're using MotionInJoy, right? If not, you really should be. Doubly so if you happen to have a Bluetooth dongle for your computer, so that you can use it wireless just like on the PS3.
Nice, hope your right and it is in fact a work in progress.

Thank's for the filter tips as well. Gonna mess around with them next time I log in.

Tide27_sl

shitlord
Would anyone mind helping me troubleshoot my controller not working? I have the normal Xbox 360 wired controller plugged in USB port. Works for every other game I have, but is not recognized in this one. I go to manual calibration and it does not respond at all. All drivers are up to date as well. Plugging and unplugging it does nothing as well. On a side note, this exact same controller worked on the 1.0 version released long ago.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I used this set up because MotionInJoy wouldn't work on my home PC with Win 8. The version in a Youtube video you linked did install and launch, but as soon as it updated to the newest version it just crashed.

http://youtu.be/FsUtQ8urmw0

I need to check out those filters, spent a little time last night setting up the cross bar and it seemed okay, have not tried actually healing anything yet because targeting seemed like such a cluster fuck.

*edit: Shit, I fail at embed...

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Would anyone mind helping me troubleshoot my controller not working? I have the normal Xbox 360 wired controller plugged in USB port. Works for every other game I have, but is not recognized in this one. I go to manual calibration and it does not respond at all. All drivers are up to date as well. Plugging and unplugging it does nothing as well. On a side note, this exact same controller worked on the 1.0 version released long ago.
No clue really, I'm using a wireless Xbox 360 controller and pretty much set itself up. Actually like using it surprisingly.

Noahx

N00b
So far spent about an hour shouting for a Carpenter to make me Elm Lumber. Yes, I could probably just level Carpenter myself but was hoping to use a community approach / small social experiment. Are people playing these days so conditioned to solo play it is hard for them to connect?

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
So far spent about an hour shouting for a Carpenter to make me Elm Lumber. Yes, I could probably just level Carpenter myself but was hoping to use a community approach / small social experiment. Are people playing these days so conditioned to solo play it is hard for them to connect?
Imagine most people are like myself and aren't interested in crafting till my character won't get wiped.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Imagine most people are like myself and aren't interested in crafting till my character won't get wiped.
Yeah pretty much. I went far enough into leatherworking to see how interconnected it is with other trades (you start running into stuff that semi-requires other tradeskills in the 11-15 range, and it gets more crucial after that) and far enough into the gathering to see where you find mining nodes in gridania and botany nodes in Uldah. Which, admittedly, is also the 15ish range. So yeah, not doing any more crafting related stuff til characters are permanent.

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
It's for this reason I really hope they found some massive issue with implementing Duty Finder and will never be able to do it.

fletch101

Lord Nagafen Raider
Syia pointed out that the Grand Company vendors are selling tradeskill bonus items in their "material" category:

Company Issues Engineering Manual - 50% bonus to exp gained from synthesis, up to a maximum of 20,000 points. Duration 180m. Cost of 600 seals.
They have an equivalent gathering one as well.

At the next rank, for 900 seals, you get the same thing with a maximum of 40,000, same duration.