Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Fucker

Log Wizard
I'd forgotten just how hilarious alliance pugs are. I quit before the Lighthouse and Monastery released so was doing the first of those last night as part of the new relic line unlock and holy hell... what entertainment.

Worse than your average MMO pug or what?

nu_11

Every tank has more or less the same aggro tools and mitigation tools are fairly similar too, they normalized a bunch of stuff. I'd say the most "annoying" is still WAR due to Overpower being a cone instead of a circle, you can use the spinning axe move out of combo to gather mobs instead but it feels bad since well, it's off combo. As for mitigation, the "best" imo is DRK for casual content, but only after 70, when you get The Blackest Night, which is a great skill, but before that they're like super poop (relatively, they still can level fine) because they're more or less balanced around it. Finally PLD while great eventually gets most of his cool tools(proper melee rotation, heal, magic rotation) in HW or SB levels.

So the "best" choice would be GNB, who starts at 60 so you already have a well rounded character.

That said if you don't mind the low lvls being a bit boring, PLD is great too, and then if you prefer the aesthetics, WAR and DRK are definitely good, they just take longer(DRK) or need to play a bit better(WAR).

All tanks are nearly perfectly balanced currently and they have no glaring flaws I'd say, at least for casual content. For endgame, there's some edges but not necessarily that important either(if you play DRK you kinda want a WHM in your raid for the Living Dead/Benediction combo for example).
Tanking in FFXIV seems super boring. I have a 60 Warrior that I used to play that I don't anymore. They all seem to "play" the same despite the differences in their toolkits.

In FFXI you had many different ways to tanks and, to a lesser extent, WoW too. I enjoyed tanking as Warrior in WoW but Feral Druid tanking is boring imo.

Last edited:

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Worse than your average MMO pug or what?

The average four man dungeon design is a lot more relaxed. You can generally compensate for a poor DD player without much pain but in an alliance the mechanics are generally unforgiving. When the raid requires about 90% of people to get on the stacking AOE and literally only two people do then the entire raid wipes. Then you have the same guys who make a concerted effort to stand in every... single... sparkly... AOE. From a healer's perspective you can be hard-nosed and just leave them on the ground after the fifth Raise but it's a juggling act between keeping your mana up and ensuring they can add their tiny amount of damage as it may make the difference on that last 1%.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Tanking in FFXIV seems super boring.

I have a 60 WAR that I used to play that I don't anymore. They all seem to "play" the same despite the differences in their toolkits.

In FFXI you had many different ways to tanks and, to a lesser extent, WoW too. I enjoyed tanking as Warrior in WoW but Feral Druid tanking is boring imo.

To be fair, tanking has never been particularly challenging in this game. In the early days the real test was threat control but that's a thing of the past now.

I agree, tanking in FFXI was way more fun. There was a real sense of accomplishment tanking things on my ninja, testing out gear sets, varying mechanics, and maintaining aggro which on a Nin wasn't always so easy on HNMs.

That class knowledge doesn't really exist now. You could be handed any tank, told the rotation, and you're pretty much golden.

I think another issue is, and it's probably just a personal one for me but, I feel a disconnect between my character and the boss. I'm zoomed out so far to see all the aoe markers which just erodes this sense of staring down the neck of some badass and feeling like I'm taking a pummeling. I just watch my health rise and fall disinterestedly now.

The real sexiness is in playing a healer!

nu_11

To be fair, tanking has never been particularly challenging in this game. In the early days the real test was threat control but that's a thing of the past now.

I agree, tanking in FFXI was way more fun. There was a real sense of accomplishment tanking things on my ninja, testing out gear sets, varying mechanics, and maintaining aggro which on a Nin wasn't always so easy on HNMs.

That class knowledge doesn't really exist now. You could be handed any tank, told the rotation, and you're pretty much golden.

I think another issue is, and it's probably just a personal one for me but, I feel a disconnect between my character and the boss. I'm zoomed out so far to see all the aoe markers which just erodes this sense of staring down the neck of some badass and feeling like I'm taking a pummeling. I just watch my health rise and fall disinterestedly now.

The real sexiness is in playing a healer!
Yep!

That's what I play now. Healer on FFXIV seems to be where it's at. It's pretty chill but also surprisingly engaging.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
From a healer's perspective you can be hard-nosed and just leave them on the ground after the fifth Raise but it's a juggling act between keeping your mana up and ensuring they can add their tiny amount of damage as it may make the difference on that last 1%.

If Rescue had a 30s cooldown, I might be more inclined to play healer.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Eh, to each their own - but I enjoy playing a Warrior tank. Especially when you're scaled down in older content and you still have a viable tool kit. Where some others, not so much. Again, they all play relatively the same and could definitely use a pass with some flavor though.

Flying in ARR zones is going to be the biggest breath of air for the game. Trimming the ARR? Sure. But since you'll be able to fly, then it'll already be a huge cut down on time.

Cybsled

Especially those zones that have tons of ravines and make you take long round-about ways to get to the other parts of the map.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
All those ARR sightseeing log jumps going to get plenty easier. Only had to wait like 7 years.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Tanking in FFXIV seems super boring. I have a 60 Warrior that I used to play that I don't anymore. They all seem to "play" the same despite the differences in their toolkits.

I agree to an extent, XI is bad comparison since it did really different stuff, it's old school so every class was a fairly unique snowflake and stuff, but as a result shit was very poorly balanced for a long time and to this day tanks are still way better at certain things than others(and ninja tanks are mostly gone too with many newer monsters designed to simply ignore utsusemi on big hits or using multihits that eat all the charges at once so it's mostly PLD/Runemaster for tanking, with the case specific BLU/BST/PUP tanking or when doing more casual content).

I do think they play differently enough though, GNB especially sets itself apart in terms of rotation. DRK plays pretty differently with the focus on TBN and mp management and PLD has a fair amount of tools to use for specific situations only(cover when your healer is being retarded, veil for aoe but only if you can predict them, clemency when shit really hits the fan). WAR has a nice feel to it but overall I'd say it's the most "basic" of the tanks and it's generally the one I like the least(although I still play it cause I want to unlock the armored bear at some point).

That said while they play somewhat the same, I do like tank gameplay in XIV, active mitigation has to be used properly at the right time but also spread evenly so you maximize uptime without having a downtime when a big hit happens and you still have the responsability of positioning stuff, which is often a bit harder than say in wow, since you need to make sure melee can hit positionals so you don't want to swing shit around or spin stuff around either, have to be precise and decisive when moving mobs around. Having fairly simple gameplay lends itself well to the other tanking responsabilities imo.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I can't remember what I did but this is becoming tedious:

1590656943988.png

• 1Worf

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Official forums are notorious for being overmoderated. Disagreeing with people can be ground for a ban if your wording is only ever so slightly too negative. Shit's a waste of time anyway, all the good content is on discord(balance especially but other places for other content too) and then posted on reddit, nothing worthwhile on the official forums pretty much.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Barraind

Trakanon Raider
All those ARR sightseeing log jumps going to get plenty easier. Only had to wait like 7 years.

Ixali logging grounds is still going to cockblock everyone until they look up "HOW THE FUCK DO I LAND ON THAT ONE GODDAMNED PIXEL" and realize you have to max your fps at 30 to have any hope.

Official forums are notorious for being overmoderated. Disagreeing with people can be ground for a ban if your wording is only ever so slightly too negative. Shit's a waste of time anyway, all the good content is on discord(balance especially but other places for other content too) and then posted on reddit, nothing worthwhile on the official forums pretty much.

Yup. We moved the last bit of forum-only info (airship and sub guides and tables) to a discord and general forums is basically a few people trolling a lot and everyone getting banned for calling out the guy who keeps trolling.

It's a shitshow.

Flying in ARR zones will be a huge QoL improvement.

Only a little bit. It's getting locked behind praetorium completion, so itll be great for relics, hunts, and the (hopefully less than) 100 quests of stupid, but it won't do much for the early leveling.

Last edited:

Malkav

French Madman
The official forums are one of the most autistic official game forums I've ever seen. I go there from time to time to get a chuckle out of it.

Barraind

Trakanon Raider
Side note, if you didnt get the ff11 crossover armor the first time the event happened, it's a solid set, and requires 3 easy fates.

e258ba54483c5788cb25c16d913f89b1.png

• 1Like

Cybsled

Official forums only purpose is entering official contests really (screenshots, decorating, glamour, etc). It's worthless otherwise lol

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Thinking about resubbing. I have an 80 warriors and 71 BLM (I think). Kind of don't want to tank anymore though. What DPS are most sought after? I was kind of liking the idea of BRD, is it still > MCH or has that changed?