Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Magimaster

Trakanon Raider
I bet Zenos ends up being the 2nd melee DPS class reveal, since end of 5.4 he abandoned the Samurai shit

Kinda thinking that as well. Either him or Alisae. if its Alisae, I'm guessing on a Rune Fencer type, since it would be a natural evolution for her skillset. As for Zenos, hell only knows. People are saying a melee Necromancer type job in chat due to Yoshi's shirt, like a Reaper; but I dunno how that would go unless they go for a melee job that maybe uses dot/poison attacks? His shirt also is a Sex Pistols referense, but I can't see Zenos going sword/pistol.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Kinda thinking that as well. Either him or Alisae. if its Alisae, I'm guessing on a Rune Fencer type, since it would be a natural evolution for her skillset. As for Zenos, hell only knows. People are saying a melee Necromancer type job in chat due to Yoshi's shirt, like a Reaper; but I dunno how that would go unless they go for a melee job that maybe uses dot/poison attacks? His shirt also is a Sex Pistols referense, but I can't see Zenos going sword/pistol.
I don't think they specifically said Zenos would be the new melee class, he could be anything? Corsair does make sense with Thavnair being a focus and works well with the shirt. Someone on reddit made a more complicated relation, with the director of the movie being named Julien Temple(remember they teased Samurai with Sam Raimi, the director of Spiderman), so the class being Templar instead, which would potentially fit Zenos better but again not sure Zenos has to be the new class specifically, he could just be whatever. If anything since the CGI hero is now Paladin, he could be Dark Knight and channel Zodiark's power or some bullshit.

Cybsled

I watched Jessecox and JP's stream watchparty, but then I checked out some other FFXIV streamer reactions. It was painful to watch all the youngins not know what the fuck the Lunar Whale was, or who Edge/Rydia/Rosa were lol

I don't think they specifically said Zenos would be the new melee class, he could be anything? Corsair does make sense with Thavnair being a focus and works well with the shirt. Someone on reddit made a more complicated relation, with the director of the movie being named Julien Temple(remember they teased Samurai with Sam Raimi, the director of Spiderman), so the class being Templar instead, which would potentially fit Zenos better but again not sure Zenos has to be the new class specifically, he could just be whatever. If anything since the CGI hero is now Paladin, he could be Dark Knight and channel Zodiark's power or some bullshit.

Paladin on the moon is basically Cecil from FFIV - Dark Knight that became a Paladin, so fits perfectly with Shadowbringers -> Endwalker since they are going hard on FF4 themes.

Typically they have one major character be a new class in the game. We can rule out all the recent ShB changes for characters. Einstinien will stay a dragoon (Kain in FF4, need to keep that parallel). They said Alisae is staying a Red Mage. Alphi is a sage now.

Zenos would be a logical choice, because he drops his weapon at the end of 5.4 and says he needs something new. A 'Reaper' class would fit with Zenos: Death, likes melee, and Scythes havent been used much in the game outside of a couple items

They could also drag Gosetsu out of the attic. If you recall, he decided to stop being a samurai, so they could always bring him back and make him the new class. This game loves bringing back older characters and he has been MIA since Stormblood.

Class possibilities:

Corsair: Maybe, but aren't they more strongly associated with pirates? Pistols and swords mix up, but doesn't fit well with a melee DPS since pistols are their signature weapon

Templars: They would basically be DPS Paladins? Could maybe be a hammer class, since hammers really havent been used at all outside Nero and Gaia. This would actually fit well with the Gosetsu idea also, since him hauling around a giant ass hammer would fit his look

"Reaper"/Scythe class: Probably the best Zenos class. Hasn't really been a FF class for this before, but would suspect it to be an edgelord DPS. Harder to "lore" this to a WoL class, though, unless Zenos just ripped it off from someone else (like he did with Samurai)

Something Magitek: Garlemond fits into this, so maybe they could do some manner of techno melee? Like a magitek whip or something?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

bolok

Trakanon Raider
Scythe fits the t-shirt. I'm (still) annoyed DRK isn't dps- so bringing Scythe back as dps would be bitter sweet.
I on board with the hammer idea. They made a fairly big deal about hammers when they revealed Gaia. Seems ripe for a call back.
Corsair/pirate I think could still work- but i have no idea what kinda nonsense they'd need to deal with to get 2 different weapons equipped at once. Even as a bundle weapon it would be weird.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Corsair was a melee class first in XI, they only had a few pistol skills, which somewhat made sense if you think of a Pistol being annoying to reload and such, so you wouldn't be constantly firing it(and if you were, you'd just use 2 pistols, no need for a scimitar/saber melee weapon). Somewhat ties with the kinda weird filler with Pirates they did in the current MSQ and the strange focus on showing well modelled pistols during it. Thavnair being an island with a sub tropical feel to it, it's kinda bound to have Pirates in there, cause you know, pirates of the Caribean. The character that'd change to that is however a bit hard, lore-wise Thancred with his background would be the best fit but he just switched to Gunbreaker. I don't think they'll have Merlwyb show up as a main character either. I could have seen Alisae change to that but they did show her as RDM already. Gosetsu could maybe fit there? Decided to go there for whatever reason, gets roped in with a bunch of pirates fighting the good fight, although him using fire arms might be weird.

The reaper/scythe class has merit for sure, in terms of aesthetics for Zenos. There's also a part in the trailer where people are saying you can see somewhat of a scythe where Zenos is sitting. The T shirt relation is a bit too on the nose for that and it's possible Zenos will use a scythe but the new melee class isn't that.

Templars with hammers could be a thing yeah. Noteworthy characters that could be that would be Gosetsu as you mentionned, potentially that tall bitch that's bodyguarding Aymeric, Raubahn if he somehow manages to swing it with just one hand(maybe mechanical arm or some shit?), Ghara Tia(Templars were actually Allagans bla bla bla Allagans bla bla bla Crystal Tower memories bla bla bla) or Nero(while he's been playing engineer/scientist the last few expansions, he did do some hammer shit back in 2.0, along with heavy armor, which is surprisingly fitting).

Scythe fits the t-shirt. I'm (still) annoyed DRK isn't dps- so bringing Scythe back as dps would be bitter sweet.
I on board with the hammer idea. They made a fairly big deal about hammers when they revealed Gaia. Seems ripe for a call back.
Corsair/pirate I think could still work- but i have no idea what kinda nonsense they'd need to deal with to get 2 different weapons equipped at once. Even as a bundle weapon it would be weird.
While I don't think they'd want to go that way, Paladin uses shields. Prices are just split. That said they'd probably just go the Ninja/RDM/DNC way, where you just have a sword/pistol set as your only weapon.

• 1Like

bolok

Trakanon Raider
Yeah Paladins are a weird outlier at this point. I kinda feel they'd probably have combined them into a single sword/shield item already if they could do so cleanly. It would be cool if the nominal dual weild classes could actually use 2 different weapons.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Did i overlook it or with WoL focus being paladin in the cinematic + FF4 references, mount, minions, moon, etc. So sounds like ff4 will be the crossover this time? Golbez/Zeromus as ascians?

• 1Faggotry

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Did i overlook it or with WoL focus being paladin in the cinematic + FF4 references, mount, minions, moon, etc. So sounds like ff4 will be the crossover this time? Golbez/Zeromus as ascians?
I don't necessarily think 4 will be the focus, hell they've shown Anima already and that's 10. I think they're just doing all the 4 stuff because they decided we were going to the Moon(which they've teased for a while) and obviously if you think about going to the Moon, you think about 4, but past that I don't think they'll do too much else. I do expect Zeromus somewhere, but don't know about Golbez.

Cybsled

Maybe not a full crossover, but they will be going hard on the references it seems. I can almost guarantee you that Lunarians will end up being a Beast Tribe and this music will show up in some form

It is telling Elidibus loved hanging out on the moon. Elidbus was Zodiark's Heart, so perhaps he was staying close to what remained of Zodiark? They could do their Zeromus moment there.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I think an interesting twist would be that we're going to the Moon so we can free Zodiark ourselves, to fight against the End of the World, like the Ascians did back then. This might or might not backfire.

And yeah I do expect that specific area to be filled with 4 references, and possibly have Zeromus as one of the story trial there. Just the expansion as a whole won't be 4 themed, I think the Moon is going to be a single zone, kinda like the Tempest, with definitely the potential for a Beast Tribe there and a Trial fight and definitely a dungeon where they can cram whatever references they couldn't otherwise. But the rest of the expansion will probably take place in other various places(Thavnair+tropical jungle and destroyed Garlemald are already confirmed after all). I'm thinking it'll somewhat follow the ShB storytelling, where we go from one place to the other trying to put out fires(sometimes literally as they've shown in the Thavnair dungeon concept art), then go to the Moon to either solve the problem or find a solution(thus the Zodiark help), and then maybe if the Moon isn't the final destination, go somewhere else(the Core of the Earth? Where Hydaelin might be and all the monsters and shit are coming from?).

Cybsled

They talked about that painting at the end having meaning. Main thing that stood out is the dark and light were both connected and both reaching to opposite sides of the "planet" or whatever that orb was. The backgrounds were also flipped: light had a dark background, dark had a light background.

I am guessing that the solution will end up being the merger of Zodiark and Hydalyn, which will provide the light/dark balance required to sustain things.

bolok

Trakanon Raider
Maybe not a full crossover, but they will be going hard on the references it seems. I can almost guarantee you that Lunarians will end up being a Beast Tribe and this music will show up in some form

It is telling Elidibus loved hanging out on the moon. Elidbus was Zodiark's Heart, so perhaps he was staying close to what remained of Zodiark? They could do their Zeromus moment there.

Goddamnit. I need to play ff4 again. That song should is soo good.