Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Managed to do the Bozjan raid with zero deaths until the 2nd last boss. Could not spot the mechanics due to all the particle effects. Found the option to tone it down now though.

Chris

Potato del Grande
WTF. Didn't know the guy's name but he's a worthy successor to Uematsu with some of the musix I'm hearing from FF14. Hope he pulls through.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Chimney said:
Is an 8 person mount some sort of pay to win that I don't know about? Otherwise complaint is worthless. Cosmetic crap is cosmetic crap whether it's $1 or $1k.

In a game where glamour is the real endgame content then I can see an 8-person mount being hot shit to a number of people.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Eh even if that is so you aren't unique when 100's/1000's of other people on the server get them.

And in the scheme of things if spending an extra $35 here and there on a game you put 100's if not 1000's of hours into makes you grumpy then you have a pretty poor sense of value per dollar spent on entertainment.

Ehrgeix

Trakanon Raider
Hey, I pay a sub, I buy the box, I buy the expansions. Is it wrong to be grumpy that they’re including a type of mount you can’t get in the game for $36 in the store only? It’s not like it’s some f2p game barely surviving off its cash shop. There’s so many bullshit pay to win games out there and I don’t want this to become one. We already have story skips, boosts, and cooler alternative mounts to stuff you can get in game. We don’t need functionality you can only get in the store on top of that.

Last edited:
  • 1Picard

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Everyones financial situation is different but personally yes.

I spend way more for much less value across the gaming spectrum and/or real life nonsense.

Once the new mount smell wears off you won't even care about it anyway ;]

Ehrgeix

Trakanon Raider
What about in future when they get no pushback on any of this stuff (skins, mounts, boosts, better mounts than you can get in the game, etc) and end up offering max ilvl gear as a catch up service. Is that worth caring about?

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Eh even if that is so you aren't unique when 100's/1000's of other people on the server get them.

And in the scheme of things if spending an extra $35 here and there on a game you put 100's if not 1000's of hours into makes you grumpy then you have a pretty poor sense of value per dollar spent on entertainment.

My take on it is you should be able to earn the mount in-game and the store, at best, should be a reskinned version.

It sets a really bad precedent releasing content you can only buy with RL cash vs in-game efforts and will likely be the start of a slippery slope.

Besides, did they state the costs of developing this mount came purely from other shop sales or has the subscription fee been utilised to fund exclusive shop items?

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
What about in future when they get no pushback on any of this stuff (skins, mounts, boosts, better mounts than you can get in the game, etc) and end up offering max ilvl gear as a catch up service. Is that worth caring about?

Personally don't care. This isn't a game where you're fighting over resources or where players are starved for choice by any stretch in any content. Though stuff like boosts/gear catch up is closer to pay to convenience than pay to win and I think is fairly healthy for MMOs on end of life which obviously this isn't yet. We can play the hypothetical slippery slope game of "they could do this or that or anything in between" all day. If they start selling max level characters with full best in slot end game gear then we can grab the pitch forks I guess.

My take on it is you should be able to earn the mount in-game and the store, at best, should be a reskinned version.

It sets a really bad precedent releasing content you can only buy with RL cash vs in-game efforts and will likely be the start of a slippery slope.

Besides, did they state the costs of developing this mount came purely from other shop sales or has the subscription fee been utilised to fund exclusive shop items?

Who's to say they won't add some 8 seater beater down the road, but I still don't care. It's cosmetic, gives no real advantage and I don't need to complete some pokemon roledex of mounts to get enjoyment out of the game.

No idea how this game divvies up their funds.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The explanation for the mount was that it was meant to be given away for people who bought tickets to the fanfest, and as such it was gonna be a very limited thing. They probably would have put another version later in the shop.

There's no separation between cash shop and sub money, as far as I know, it all goes to Square, and then part of it gets re-added into the game and a large part goes into the shareholders pocket, as with everything nowadays.

Don't really see a problem with the whale mount, I have money to buy it, but I see no reason to when I can't really think of a case where the 8seater aspect would ever be useful anyway and other than that it's just a more expensive cosmetic mount, of which there's plenty in the cash shop already, and that still makes up for a minority compared to the ingame mounts. Hell just last patch they added the mecha gigantic dragon mount shit and that shit is better than most of the mounts they sell in the shop. It doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the game nor does offer any functionality that I think gives an advantage, so really don't care about how expensive it is.

Cybsled

There really isn’t anything an 8 person mount gives you advantage wise. Maybe makes it easier hauling noobs around Eureka, which is old content 2 expansions ago.

Everything on their store for sale boost wise is just catchup. Bliz has done the same. Basically it boosts you to the highest level for the previous xpac

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Welcome to 10 years ago? If it upsets you that much then don't play FFXIV. You get plenty of free mounts in the game just by doing MSQ, the whale is just a cosmetic item that happens to let you carry other with you. If offers no speed advantages, and as such no in game advantages. Much like lots of other cosmetic things it is $$$ store only. Lots of stuff like that in blizzard's game too.

• 1Like

Merrith

There really isn’t anything an 8 person mount gives you advantage wise. Maybe makes it easier hauling noobs around Eureka, which is old content 2 expansions ago.

Everything on their store for sale boost wise is just catchup. Bliz has done the same. Basically it boosts you to the highest level for the previous xpac

It doesn't even help in Eureka anymore they removed the old mount requirements there I thought? There's really nothing being able to haul around 8 people does for you that is any sort of "pay to win"

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
The 8-person mount does not bring as much utility as you think, like I said it's great for hunt/map groups but that's it.

• 1Like

Merrith

The 8-person mount does not bring as much utility as you think, like I said it's great for hunt/map groups but that's it.

Honestly isn't going to help for Gilg hunt trains...there's no waiting on that thing, man. Don't have time to wait for 7 other people to enter your mount.

• 1Solidarity

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
ya for the ShB hunts its not worth it, but if you're working on past expansion hunts would work great for sense you're not much in a race for them.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Even for these it's of very limited use, people will link the place to go in chat and you can easily go there yourself, and if you needed to afk a 2 or 4 seater was enough to do that anyway, you're not gonna carry around 7 other people constantly, or even really at any point. Besides Eureka I don't think I've used my FFXV car much at all, I guess one time I carried a guy in my FC to the Lochs aether current but yeah, it was nice in Eureka and it would have been cool to have a 8seater there, but not anymore and with Bozja they moved away entirely from the whole "run on foot at first" thing and I doubt it's coming back.

As for slippery slope, this shit started 6years ago when they added the bike mount that actually does provide an advantage, since it has lvl 1 mount speed in every zone including before you unlock it, providing a 10% speed bonus when a new expansion launch in new zones. And even that I haven't bothered to buy cause it's still fucking nothing. And since then they've added... well nothing until this whale? So it's not much of a slope.

• 1Like