Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Chris

Potato del Grande
I assume you at least farmed Maraudon for blue NR gear. The Green Dragon world spawns weren't THAT inaccessible either, most guilds farmed them for nature resist gear.
I forget exactly how they worked, couldn't only one guild kill them? They were also prone to griefing.

I'm not sure if we ever managed to get many of them. So yeah... Maraudon.

I think it was needed for Princess Huhuran which we got server first on but it broke the guild and we only ever killed it once.

Cybsled

It has been forever, but I think you had to kill placeholders to get the green dragons to have a chance to spawn and once they died, it was a 1 week cooldown til they could spawn again.

I just recall the spawns for most of them favored horde guilds, so they could usually mobilize there faster.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It has been forever, but I think you had to kill placeholders to get the green dragons to have a chance to spawn and once they died, it was a 1 week cooldown til they could spawn again.

I just recall the spawns for most of them favored horde guilds, so they could usually mobilize there faster.

With all the server resets and such, they definitely would spawn a little more often at times. I remember someone kept track of kills on our server and our guild supposedly had something like 306 of the first 312 green dragons killed. Many guilds attempted to grief us constantly on them, but we'd usually kill them anyways. I remember times when all 4 would be up, Kazzak, and Azuregos all at the same time, and we've divide our raid up to make sure we killed all the easy stuff since it took a long time before any other guild on our server could kill any of the green dragons other than Ysondre.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As a new player, what data center/server should I select (North America)?
Pretty soon you will be able to travel to any server so it doesn't matter much. Most 'statics' aka raid teams, are on several different servers. If you plan on playing at the start of next expansion I would choose a low pop server or one where you personally know people.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
So how's the leveling process now after their storyline quest squash or whatever it was? I see the whole big pack of expansions is on sale for like 25$ so considering giving this another run finally like 5 years later.

There a particular server that is more active for NA, or does it not matter? Think last I played was on Gilgamesh but that was so long ago it can't possibly be relevant anymore.

Last edited:

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
You out level everything rapidly and I've only done the MSQ through Stormblood. Fully expect to have at least 3-4 80s by the time I'm done with it all.

Server itself doesn't matter. Cluster is more relevant. I've been on Primal and it has low ques and a nice player base.

Cybsled

The MSQ squish trimmed some of the post x.0 story bloat. There is still bloat (especially in ARR), but they cut out a lot of the "go here, come back, go here" time wasters and give you Waking Sands teleport tickets that you can use to get back there for certain story beats.

Ehrgeix

Trakanon Raider
I’m also on primal / had good experiences here. I heard aether was good too, Crystal more casual / role players / erpers etc.

Chris

Potato del Grande
The MSQ squish trimmed some of the post x.0 story bloat. There is still bloat (especially in ARR), but they cut out a lot of the "go here, come back, go here" time wasters and give you Waking Sands teleport tickets that you can use to get back there for certain story beats.
Is there a reason why they couldn't just put a fucking Aetherite there?

Malkav

French Madman
No lore reason.

I mean, they have aetherytes in some of the most backwater little shitholes but not Waking Sands.

Lore wise the reason is that back then the Scions were not in the best of term with the Syndicate (the real power behind Ul'dah's), the Syndicate decided not to fund the installation of an Aetheryte in Vesper Bay.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, there is a lore reason. However, with modern loading speeds, that lore reason can be overcome with teleport to limsa, aetheryte to arcanist guild, ferry to vesper. Faster than running from the closest aetheryte.

Malkav

French Madman
Yeah, there is a lore reason. However, with modern loading speeds, that lore reason can be overcome with teleport to limsa, aetheryte to arcanist guild, ferry to vesper. Faster than running from the closest aetheryte.
They give you tickets teleporting you there during the msq nowadays anyway.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
Lore wise the reason is that back then the Scions were not in the best of term with the Syndicate (the real power behind Ul'dah's), the Syndicate decided not to fund the installation of an Aetheryte in Vesper Bay.
Who gives a shit though? What the fuck?

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I just always thought they should do like "private Aetheryte" that only scion members can bind to inside that room thats Up and to the Right as soon as you go into the building. That wouldnt shit on any lore and it would make sense. Especially since that room is roped off like some Las Vegas VIP lounge.

Chris

Potato del Grande
People who enjoy lore and world building in an heavily story focused JRPG. Surprising I know.
But the lore didn't have to be written or expressed that way, nobody is forcing them to add a 5 minute journey to every quest.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
But the lore didn't have to be written or expressed that way, nobody is forcing them to add a 5 minute journey to every quest.
That's why the game currently gives you tickets to teleport right there, and then you never go there again after 50, once the Scions shift to the Rising Stones. There really isn't any need to retcon an 8 year old decision that was written into the story and fits with Lolorito being a cunt.

Of course I say this now, but in 2014 I remember cursing every person that made me make that run over and over, and definitely called my friend a coddled casual when he showed me the tickets.

Cybsled

They specifically added the teleport tickets to reduce the time spent traveling and like was pointed out, you eventually ditch the Waking Sands anyways for the Rising Stones