Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

bolok

Trakanon Raider
Is it only level 10? nice okay, I'll just fuck around until then and swap back to Glad. Thanks for the info. I mean I did wanna be a scaleygirl, but I'm fine with this thicc highlander too.
I think it’s closer to 20, you have to msq until you get to airship to another city. As far as I remember anyway. Been ages. Unless you chose another job that starts in Uldah.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Is there a particular graphic option that is making my GPU work like crazy? Never have any frame issues, but never heard my GPU sound like such a rocket ship either.

I'm at work so idk exactly what it's called but that setting with HBAO+ or whatever it's called puts my GPU into overdrive and tanks my fps.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Is there a particular graphic option that is making my GPU work like crazy?
Limit your frame rate in the system configuration to 1/1 (or lower). Also, limiting it when you are AFK and when the client is in the background is a good idea.

framerate.jpg

If I delete it, can I re create from there? Or I assume I need to get lucky again?
You can delete it, but you have to get lucky again. Deletion of characters takes 30 seconds as a safety feature. You can't create characters on a server, even when you already have one on there.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
But I don't have any gear for casters for instance, so would I just swap my weapon out to another melee job while out and about questing a level 15 quest?
At level 1 you don't need any gear. You get cheap weapons/tools and a bit of gear every 5 levels with your job quest. There is a "recommendation" icon you can click to dress you up in your highest level gear for that class/archetype, which works reasonably well.

recommendations.jpg

For starter gear you can buy somewhat cheap (the same as crafted gear) from the NPC vendors that are all around the world. In Gridania, this is in the long hall south of the market boards: Independent Tailor and Independent Jeweler. Ask for "Disciple of War Gear" or "Disciple of Magic Gear". NPCs out in the field have level limited gear selection depending on the area.

Those are most often cheaper than the crafted ones you can find on the market board. Some green items from starter dungeons are also cheap on the market board.

Also, you get 4 items of gear from the "Hall of the Novice" quests for all three archetypes (tank, physical, caster). If you did those with a caster and want physical gear, too, then you cen redo the ones that hand out gear as another class.

Chris

Potato del Grande
SHADOWBRINGERS RAIDS ARE INCREDIBLE.

Holy fucking shit, what the fuck have I just played?

Just done Eden Rahmu and Idol of Darkness and I feel like I'm a ballet dancer at the opera. It's exhilarating, closest thing to sex I've done while gaming and honestly better than jacking off.

I just had a raidgasm. Can't wait for Eden Shiva.

• 5Worf
  • 3Like
Reactions: 7 users

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
At level 1 you don't need any gear. You get cheap weapons/tools and a bit of gear every 5 levels with your job quest. There is a "recommendation" icon you can click to dress you up in your highest level gear for that class/archetype, which works reasonably well.

View attachment 357995

For starter gear you can buy somewhat cheap (the same as crafted gear) from the NPC vendors that are all around the world. In Gridania, this is in the long hall south of the market boards: Independent Tailor and Independent Jeweler. Ask for "Disciple of War Gear" or "Disciple of Magic Gear". NPCs out in the field have level limited gear selection depending on the area.

Those are most often cheaper than the crafted ones you can find on the market board. Some green items from starter dungeons are also cheap on the market board.

Also, you get 4 items of gear from the "Hall of the Novice" quests for all three archetypes (tank, physical, caster). If you did those with a caster and want physical gear, too, then you cen redo the ones that hand out gear as another class.
Yeah the novice gear rocks. I did that. But my confusion lies in swapping to another job. Say I'm out in a level 20 area on my Glad, if I swap to a level 1 job in the field, I'll be fucked right? I need to go back to a newb area? Also, do you end up doing the same quests over and over again if leveling a new job from a particular city? Or ?

Malkav

French Madman
Yeah the novice gear rocks. I did that. But my confusion lies in swapping to another job. Say I'm out in a level 20 area on my Glad, if I swap to a level 1 job in the field, I'll be fucked right? I need to go back to a newb area? Also, do you end up doing the same quests over and over again if leveling a new job from a particular city? Or ?

The idea to level 2 jobs at the same time with the Road to 70 bonus is to keep them both around the same level and swap between them from time to time when turning in quests or doing dungeons mainly. Any job below your highest level one gets an xp bonus too.

Cybsled

Or you can be lazy like me and at level 50, visit Uldah and unlock samurai or red mage, which automatically start at 50

Chris

Potato del Grande
Or you can be lazy like me and at level 50, visit Uldah and unlock samurai or red mage, which automatically start at 50
Or Dancer and Gunbreaker at 60, Astrologian and Dark Knight at 30.

Probably a good idea to check out the expansion jobs at their starting levels to see of you like them more.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Or Dancer and Gunbreaker at 60, Astrologian and Dark Knight at 30.

Probably a good idea to check out the expansion jobs at their starting levels to see of you like them more.

You really can't do Machinist, AST or DRK for what they are talking about tho, as they are locked into HW. So you will have 2 or 3 level 60s before you get there.

Chris

Potato del Grande
You really can't do Machinist, AST or DRK for what they are talking about tho, as they are locked into HW. So you will have 2 or 3 level 60s before you get there.
Not sure if you can go there early, I guess it's MSQ locked to lv50?

Would you really have 2-3 lv60s starting the lv50-60 zones though?

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
yeah Ishgard is locked until you get there through the HW quest. Depending how fast you go, and therefore how many days of roulettes you do, you can probably have 1-2 60s and another job near 50 when you unlock HW, especially if you are on one of those servers that have the level to 70 bonus and have a preorder earring. I want to say joining the pvp roulette at level 30 with every xp buff available shits you out at 33. MSQ roulette is roughly 75% of a level every day for a 50 to 60 character.

You out level the MSQ so ridiculously, I think a new player can have 2 characters to 30 before the MSQ unlocks their ability to get a job stone.

Chris

Potato del Grande
yeah Ishgard is locked until you get there through the HW quest. Depending how fast you go, and therefore how many days of roulettes you do, you can probably have 1-2 60s and another job near 50 when you unlock HW, especially if you are on one of those servers that have the level to 70 bonus and have a preorder earring. I want to say joining the pvp roulette at level 30 with every xp buff available shits you out at 33. MSQ roulette is roughly 75% of a level every day for a 50 to 60 character.

You out level the MSQ so ridiculously, I think a new player can have 2 characters to 30 before the MSQ unlocks their ability to get a job stone.
Sounds optimal but perhaps not enjoyable?

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
I think the exp bonus was more to funnel new players to certain servers, but with the influx of players and the hype now ALL the servers are full. New players don't realize what the exp bonus really entails.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
depends how you do it, if you know it going in, you can make it both. the friend I know who did it recently just kept 2 classes close together, using a DPS in the overworld MSQs and a healer in the dungeons for faster queue times. He thought that would be enough, but when he got near 60 and still had not hit HW yet and had most of his post 50 skills locked behind class quests he couldnt access, he leveled up a rogue as well. He would only play a few hours a day though, so if you are sucked in much harder, youre obviously going to get less xp on your way to HW, as you wont have so many daily XP roulette monster xp bumps

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
I think the exp bonus was more to funnel new players to certain servers, but with the influx of players and the hype now ALL the servers are full. New players don't realize what the exp bonus really entails.

You mean, like, it not mattering that much because you have to complete the main story? I am definitely out leveling a lot of stuff, but I think I'll try my best to weave leveling two classes at once. Is it usually smart to stick to 2 melee or 2 casters? I'm just trying to focus on the quests on top left of screen. So there's 2 questlines up there, right? One for your class and one for the main story?

Speaking of hype, where is it coming from anyways? Mine came from Bellular.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Is it usually smart to stick to 2 melee or 2 casters? I'm just trying to focus on the quests on top left of screen.
Personally I am going to do this: archer (for Peloton at 20, because it will be a while until you get your chocobo), then conjurer (because Gridiania), then gladiator as a tank. These are the ones until HW/60, as I'd like to go astrologian and gunbreaker.

You get gear for the other classes easily later with daily duty roulette, or company seals (which you get from daily duty roulette or FATEs)

So there's 2 questlines up there, right? One for your class and one for the main story?
Yes, those are the important ones. Everything else is fluff at the moment.

bolok

Trakanon Raider
I personally did everything in my power to keep my levels close to MSQ quest level while playing. But i'm probably an outlier in that regard. The MSQ quests do more or less cap your level, when you attempt them. But with a few exceptions i liked doing them as close to level and (because i'm cheap and lazy) painfully undergeared. This did not work out in my favor with healer quests, but you can get away with a lot for tank and dps jobs.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Personally I am going to do this: archer (for Peloton at 20, because it will be a while until you get your chocobo), then conjurer (because Gridiania), then gladiator as a tank. These are the ones until HW/60, as I'd like to go astrologian and gunbreaker.
That makes sense. I should have done something like this so I could have enjoyed Gridania early on. I'm leveling Thaum/Glad atm cos I'm an idiot. thaum is so boring tho, at least early on. Oh well I plan to main Pal anyways. hopefully it is fun. I picked it for its solo strength, plus I usually play tanks.