Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

bolok

Trakanon Raider
You mean, like, it not mattering that much because you have to complete the main story? I am definitely out leveling a lot of stuff, but I think I'll try my best to weave leveling two classes at once. Is it usually smart to stick to 2 melee or 2 casters? I'm just trying to focus on the quests on top left of screen. So there's 2 questlines up there, right? One for your class and one for the main story?

Speaking of hype, where is it coming from anyways? Mine came from Bellular.
I'd do 2 different roles personally, just so you don't have to deal with the dps queue all the time. But you'll need to put up with it eventually. Unless you go pure tank/heals. Then yer basically blessed with insta pops most of the time.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
I'd do 2 different roles personally, just so you don't have to deal with the dps queue all the time. But you'll need to put up with it eventually. Unless you go pure tank/heals. Then yer basically blessed with insta pops most of the time.
Yeah it's a big reason I go tank in mmos these days. But I'm dreading learning dungeons and having everyone expect me to know everything, the way it always is.

Is there a way to make it so whenever I get an upgrade, it saves on my gearsets, so i don't have to constantly update it? Like anything I put on while on my Glad gearset, saves as the new glad set.

bolok

Trakanon Raider
For all the noobs wondering about leveling multiple jobs/roles. There is one outlier that may or may not interest you. If you go arcanist- you get to level 2 jobs at the same time. Scholar is a (shield based) healer, and Summoner is a pet/dot DPS class. You'll have to do 2 sets of job quests, and the gear doesn't cross over- but leveling one levels the other.

bolok

Trakanon Raider
Yeah it's a big reason I go tank in mmos these days. But I'm dreading learning dungeons and having everyone expect me to know everything, the way it always is.

Is there a way to make it so whenever I get an upgrade, it saves on my gearsets, so i don't have to constantly update it? Like anything I put on while on my Glad gearset, saves as the new glad set.
I don't have the handy pictures up, but once you hit the auto suggest or manually have the newest gear equipped, just save the set again. This also affects whether you want your headgear shown, visor up/down etc.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
I'm having fun fapping about mining. It's kind of a clunky system tho (crafting jobs).

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
I don't have the handy pictures up, but once you hit the auto suggest or manually have the newest gear equipped, just save the set again. This also affects whether you want your headgear shown, visor up/down etc.
So click recommended gear, click equip, then click the gear lists, then right click the set, then reassign? Damn so clunky to do every single time you get an upgrade.

bolok

Trakanon Raider
What's the most fun tradeskill?
Tradeskills are kinda an interlinked nightmare by design. They give you more or less the same toolset for all the classes and you have to optimize your resources as best you can to make whatever item. If you want to dip your toes in, pick whatever matches up to create, well honestly, probably your secondary class You'll quickly see how, well this would be way more efficient to gather this thing or make this mat. That said, even some of the crafting quest lines are quite amusing. I stuck with 2 gathering, and 1 crafting basically to 80 with some dabbling on the side. There are ample ways to level the other ones once you get further into the game.

• 1Like

Cybsled

What's the most fun tradeskill?

Depends how you define fun. Cooking I would say is the hardest to level (at least later on) purely because most of the ingredients are dropped by mobs or harvested. All the other ones are pretty much using materials you get from botany and mining.

Depends also what you want to get out of the trade skill. When I first started, I went carpentry and botanist, because I figured I could harvest lumber and then make stuff. However, I quickly learned there is a lot of tradeskill inter-dependency. Like I need hinges to make something, but hinges are made by armorer. However, you can level ALL the tradeskills on a single character.

This is what I would recommend:

1) unlock all the tradeskills - if you do the noob quests, they give you a fuckton of elemental shards that you need to craft with. Even if you dont plan to level one right away, the shards might be used by another tradeskill (for instance, cooking and blacksmith both use fire).

2) You can pretty much level all the way to 10 by using vendor bought shit on most trade skills. The trade guild will have some of the noob materials, if you have a FC house with a materials vendor, they sell slightly more leveled stuff also that can be used

3) When you hit level 20 or so, start to use tradeskill leves. They're basically repeatable handin "quests" that give you a set amount of XP for either a normal or high-quality handin. Your character gains a few leve allowances every 8 hours or something. They are extremely helpful and can get you a fuckton more XP than just straight up grinding

4) Level gathering - botany and mining mostly (fishing is really only used by culinarian, with a couple exceptions). Gathering your own materials helps you level crafting for much less. There are also gathering leves you can use to level

5) tradeskills use your rested XP bar - keep this in mind. There isnt a distinction between rested XP for combat or crafting/gathering

6) When you unlock HW, you can eventually unlock the Firmament. It makes power leveling crafting classes pretty easy. So if you later decide to become an omnicrafter, that can help.

7) There are beast tribes devoted to crafting. They give you crafting XP for daily quests. ARR = Ixtal, HW = Moogles, SB = Namazu, ShB = Dwarves. Ixtal are a pain in the ass though and the XP isnt that hot. You're better off just trying to get crafter to 50 so you can use moogle beast tribe after you unlock in HW, which gives much better XP.

8) To save money, try to keep your tradeskills in rough proximity with eachother level wise.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

bolok

Trakanon Raider
So click recommended gear, click equip, then click the gear lists, then right click the set, then reassign? Damn so clunky to do every single time you get an upgrade.
mmm, no too many steps. hit recommended then save.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Ya, the little button with the arrows in a circle saves that gear setup you have equipped. Also remember to add then save class profiles, so you can swap jobs instantly and be fully geared in whatever you saved for that profile last.

• 1Like

bolok

Trakanon Raider
Depends how you define fun. Cooking I would say is the hardest to level (at least later on) purely because most of the ingredients are dropped by mobs or harvested. All the other ones are pretty much using materials you get from botany and mining.

Depends also what you want to get out of the trade skill. When I first started, I went carpentry and botanist, because I figured I could harvest lumber and then make stuff. However, I quickly learned there is a lot of tradeskill inter-dependency. Like I need hinges to make something, but hinges are made by armorer. However, you can level ALL the tradeskills on a single character.

This is what I would recommend:

1) unlock all the tradeskills - if you do the noob quests, they give you a fuckton of elemental shards that you need to craft with. Even if you dont plan to level one right away, the shards might be used by another tradeskill (for instance, cooking and blacksmith both use fire).

2) You can pretty much level all the way to 10 by using vendor bought shit on most trade skills. The trade guild will have some of the noob materials, if you have a FC house with a materials vendor, they sell slightly more leveled stuff also that can be used

3) When you hit level 20 or so, start to use tradeskill leves. They're basically repeatable handin "quests" that give you a set amount of XP for either a normal or high-quality handin. Your character gains a few leve allowances every 8 hours or something. They are extremely helpful and can get you a fuckton more XP than just straight up grinding

4) Level gathering - botany and mining mostly (fishing is really only used by culinarian, with a couple exceptions). Gathering your own materials helps you level crafting for much less. There are also gathering leves you can use to level

5) tradeskills use your rested XP bar - keep this in mind. There isnt a distinction between rested XP for combat or crafting/gathering

6) When you unlock HW, you can eventually unlock the Firmament. It makes power leveling crafting classes pretty easy. So if you later decide to become an omnicrafter, that can help.

7) There are beast tribes devoted to crafting. They give you crafting XP for daily quests. ARR = Ixtal, HW = Moogles, SB = Namazu, ShB = Dwarves. Ixtal are a pain in the ass though and the XP isnt that hot. You're better off just trying to get crafter to 50 so you can use moogle beast tribe after you unlock in HW, which gives much better XP.

8) To save money, try to keep your tradeskills in rough proximity with eachother level wise.
GC crafting turnins are a stupid amount of tradeskill xp. You'll have to do some shit to unlock those, but i now have an irrational thing against leves.

• 1Like

bolok

Trakanon Raider
Ya, the little button with the arrows in a circle saves that gear setup you have equipped. Also remember to add then save class profiles, so you can swap jobs instantly and be fully geared in whatever you saved for that profile last.
yeah everytime you unlock a new job, create a new equipment set. You can hotkey the set list or just make a icon cluster to swap jobs. Then it's just a matter of swapping to new job, equipping and saving.

• 1Like

bolok

Trakanon Raider
<clip>

I kinda liked the ixal, it's clunky as shit cuz ARR design and that stupid glove. But I wanted the mount, and the story line ended up being pretty good. That said, yeah the xp isn't that hot. But it did the job. I basically leveled my 3 tradeskills to max with beast tribe quests. Cuz fuck leves, lol. Also, the Namazu are amazing.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Why fuck leves? Shit is easy mode if you do HQ handins and it is the triple-handin one.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Whelp. Mining got boring real quick. 99 fucking obsidian? And it's only available in one tiny area with 3 deposits? Seriously?

bolok

Trakanon Raider
Whelp. Mining got boring real quick. 99 fucking obsidian? Seriously?
Sadly thats ARR for you. It honestly doesn't take that long to get 99, but gathering is one of the few things i like hooking up a controller for. I find mashing x on a ps controller better than mashing num 0 The later expac stuff is time consuming in a completely different way. You can buy them. Also, don't feel obligated to do it all at once.

Cybsled

Some of the quests only require you bring them the materials, not actually gather it. So you can have someone else give the shit to you, or you can buy off MB. That lasted through HW, then they switched to Bind on pickup stuff for SB and onward (but made them less PITA).

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Why fuck leves? Shit is easy mode if you do HQ handins and it is the triple-handin one.

This. Nothing faster the first time through. The Ishgard stuff might be just as easy, was already all 80's on all crafting/gathering by that point.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Whelp. Mining got boring real quick. 99 fucking obsidian? And it's only available in one tiny area with 3 deposits? Seriously?

It's hardly used for anything and can be purchased on the market. I'd highly recommend trying this, probably fairly inexpensive, at least it was last time i checked.

• 1Faggotry

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
One thing for new players, if youre looking to efficiently level extra things, I dont think I've seen this mentioned, but the arcanist becomes scholar and summoner and they level together, so you can keep a DPS and healer leveled by only leveling one or the other.