Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

ZProtoss

Golden Squire
So, public service announcement: Pub players are utterly incapable of playing THM. The class has the world's simplest rotation, but I guarantee you the vast majority of THM's you meet in the duty finder will be total ass. I actually started leveling a THM of my own just to see what was going on, and it's literally just people fucking up on simple shit.

As proof, I just ram tam-tara. These were the damage stats -

awfulassthm2.png

Piern Nialo was the other THM in the group, and I almost outdamaged him by 3x. Which isn't to say I was doing anything special, but more to say that he was really, incredibly bad. Pub THMs might be bad to the point that if you get one in your random group, you might be better off dropping and trying to get a group without a THM. People just can't handle the class at all it seems.

P.S. Pub CNJs are also complete shit. The healing is lax enough that you can DPS for 75% of the instance, and almost every pub CNJ i've run into does literally zero damage. Fuck.

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
you have to remember that a ton of people that play healers usually do it because they suck too much to get groups as other classes or are too lazy to actually pay attention and do good dps

i'd guess about 80% of them fall into that group and the rest is split between chicks playing with their boyfriend and actual serious players

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You have to remember the demographic of a final fantasy game. A vast amount of people in ffxi were utterly terrible to the point of me wanting to punch them over tcp/ip

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
you have to remember that a ton of people that play healers usually do it because they suck too much to get groups as other classes or are too lazy to actually pay attention and do good dps

i'd guess about 80% of them fall into that group and the rest is split between chicks playing with their boyfriend and actual serious players
Serious cleric, reporting! Soooo many years :p

tower

You have to remember the demographic of a final fantasy game. A vast amount of people in ffxi were utterly terrible to the point of me wanting to punch them over tcp/ip
yea this too i still cant believe how awful the legacy players i did brayflox with earlier were

Killjoy_sl

shitlord

I have to disagree with you. I haven't played FF XIV yet so it may be different but in WoW I found raid healing to be 10x more stressful than DPSing on a Rogue. Yes, there are a lot of bad healers out there but I think the pressure to perform weeds most of them out by the time you get to high-end content (aside from the Guild Leaders girlfriend). The majority of players probably won't notice if you're semi-afk and fuck up your 123334 DPS rotation unless they are spamming meters in chat after every fight. If you fuck up as a healer then the raid wipes and people bitch at you endlessly.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
So I'm hearing that they might actually let us keep our characters now. Any truth to this? Because if so, I might start playing.

kahilm_sl

shitlord
Can anyone else not see any JP servers? I logged off before the emergency maintenance last night and haven't been able to log back on since. I see all the NA/EU servers, but not the JP servers.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
P.S. Pub CNJs are also complete shit. The healing is lax enough that you can DPS for 75% of the instance, and almost every pub CNJ i've run into does literally zero damage. Fuck.
Part of that is because Stone is so fucking annoying. When I try to dps with my cnj in groups I'd wager that 60-70% of my casts are interrupted due to the mob dying. If it doesn't have 100% hp when I start casting, there's really no point in bothering.

tower

I have to disagree with you. I haven't played FF XIV yet so it may be different but in WoW I found raid healing to be 10x more stressful than DPSing on a Rogue. Yes, there are a lot of bad healers out there but I think the pressure to perform weeds most of them out by the time you get to high-end content (aside from the Guild Leaders girlfriend). The majority of players probably won't notice if you're semi-afk and fuck up your 123334 DPS rotation unless they are spamming meters in chat after every fight. If you fuck up as a healer then the raid wipes and people bitch at you endlessly.
i'm talking about rando's who usually never reach that point. i haven't played wow in a while so I guess there's more of them in the raid scene now with all the ways blizzard tried to make them more accessible.

obviously in raids the tanks and healers carry everyone. thats where the 20% I mentioned end up, and about 5% of the crap players too.

Part of that is because Stone is so fucking annoying. When I try to dps with my cnj in groups I'd wager that 60-70% of my casts are interrupted due to the mob dying. If it doesn't have 100% hp when I start casting, there's really no point in bothering.
yea this is fair and the amount of damage it does for the long cast is weak. you can still get a few in depending on the mobs though

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
How to do damage as a CNJ: make sure to use your instant knockback on pull, preferably on the mob the tank targetted first. It does good damage and isn't annoying at all. But in the early dungeons shit doesn't die that fast that you can't get a stone or two off on each mob. The issue mostly is that if you spam stone and cures non stop with the low downtimes and lack of regen you run out of mana and if someone fucks up a pull at that point it can get pretty shitty. Generally you can survive off just spamming Cure 1 on the tank though so even if you're oom it rarely turns into a wipe unless it's a boss fight or people are being retarded about aggro.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
dont know if anyone posted it but they updated the beta schedule and it will be ending tonight/tommorow morning.

Upcoming Beta Test Schedule:- Jul. 5th 2:00 a.m. to Jul. 7th 2:00 a.m. (PDT) / Jul. 5th 9:00 to Jul. 7th 9:00 (GMT)

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande

Also have to remember with dungeon queues etc. a lot of people say "oh, i'll just make a tank/healer" to avoid the longer queue as dps even tho they have no desire to take the class serious.

Syia_sl

shitlord
How to do damage as a CNJ: make sure to use your instant knockback on pull, preferably on the mob the tank targetted first. It does good damage and isn't annoying at all. But in the early dungeons shit doesn't die that fast that you can't get a stone or two off on each mob. The issue mostly is that if you spam stone and cures non stop with the low downtimes and lack of regen you run out of mana and if someone fucks up a pull at that point it can get pretty shitty. Generally you can survive off just spamming Cure 1 on the tank though so even if you're oom it rarely turns into a wipe unless it's a boss fight or people are being retarded about aggro.
The statement about using knockback on pull seriously happens 3/4ths of the duty finders I've been tanking on. People attacking mark #3 when #1 and #2 are up, knockbacks on the mob being killed, people standing in fires... It's pretty bad, probably worse than your typical WoW pug.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The statement about using knockback on pull seriously happens 3/4ths of the duty finders I've been tanking on. People attacking mark #3 when #1 and #2 are up, knockbacks on the mob being killed, people standing in fires... It's pretty bad, probably worse than your typical WoW pug.
Yeah I know I did 2 dungeons on my MRD last week and both of them had a different CNJ only using water knockback for absolutely no reason but no other DPS otherwise just standing there at full mana doing jackshit. Was pretty sad. But eh I guess that's how it goes in mmos, pubs are basically 80% shit and 20% getting lucky.

tower

dont forget the strategy when any fight has even 1 aoe skill: spam medica (not to be confused with the marauder strategy of spamming overpower any time youre fighting more than 1 mob. and if theres only 1 mob you might want to use it a few times just to be safe)

also when the only boss that requires you to move in the game spits poison on you just stand on it and try to cure yourself

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Took me a few hours, but I got the hang of the cities. Combat is still slow, but it gets a bit better for Gladiators at 18. Get a few abilities outside the same cooldowns.

Did the 1st 2 dungeons. Meh, they were a tad too easy.

I will get a few months enjoyment from this.