Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Cybsled

I'm not sure about getting the white crafting scrip gear, seems like it would be a boring grind turning in 1000 coffee biscuits or whatever people do. It also seems like I need to grind white gathering scrips to unlock legendary nodes? If I ask Merrith to craft the gear (thanks again!) i'll need those legendary nodes.

Customer Deliveries is your friend. You get 12 hand-ins per week, 6 per Custom Deliveries NPC. Each handin gives you a ton of scrip. First one is unlocked in HW in Idylshire.

Cybsled

If you farm Nier 3 for armor where do you get the right side acessories?

I dont understand buying with certificates because it seems it need crafted gear which is way too expensive to buy.

Nier raid doesn't drop accessories. Highest raid you could do for accessories would be the 3rd Eden set.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
I dont understand buying with certificates because it seems it need crafted gear which is way too expensive to buy.

The one major complaint I will have with this game is some of the systems are convoluted in silly ways. The token exchange system for upgrades. You can hit some vendor in a major expansion city that wants you to buy 3 of a token from another npc for items that drop from a raid boss etc.

I feel like looting something, to hand into someone else for another currency, to then turn in again for yet another currency or item is a bit silly. I can't think of any off the top of my head but I know there has been some items i looked at and I couldn't figure out the path of what I needed to farm, loot, etc.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
If you farm Nier 3 for armor where do you get the right side acessories?

Crafted gear shouldn't be that expensive but guess it depends on server. Some things to note on that system that might not obvious from a quick peek, first you only need one HQ item for an upgrade item, HQ items give like 2.5x more certificates or whatever and just add up to exactly the amount needed to upgrade so it's 1:1 with HQs. Also because you're trading for certificates, you don't need specifically the "right" piece, for example if rings are 200k but necklace 300k, you can buy a ring, convert to certs, then buy an upgraded necklace with the certs. You can also compare the value of other pieces like that(belt is the same amount of certs than accessories, and then other left side gives more cert, so like 2chest or 2pants give enough for 3 accessories iirc, so can be worth doing the math).

Other than that, tomes and eden normal for accessories.

Malkav

French Madman
You get used to it after a while, it's always the same template every expansion.

Most convuloted is probably the tomestone weapon usually. When a new tier release you need :
- a specific item that needs to be exchanged for 7 (changes to 4 after a patch or two) drops from the last fight of the raid tier (limited to 1 weekly until lockout is lifted on the raid).
- 10 tokens that can be bought for 1000 (100 each) the current capped tomestone currency.

Then, you can upgrade it with an item coming from either :
- drop from the Savage raid tier
- trade for Hunt currency
- Exchange against coins from running the currently available alliance raids (limited to 1/week until they remove the weekly cap).

kinadin

<Gold Donor>
  • 1Like

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Crafted gear shouldn't be that expensive but guess it depends on server. Some things to note on that system that might not obvious from a quick peek, first you only need one HQ item for an upgrade item, HQ items give like 2.5x more certificates or whatever and just add up to exactly the amount needed to upgrade so it's 1:1 with HQs. Also because you're trading for certificates, you don't need specifically the "right" piece, for example if rings are 200k but necklace 300k, you can buy a ring, convert to certs, then buy an upgraded necklace with the certs. You can also compare the value of other pieces like that(belt is the same amount of certs than accessories, and then other left side gives more cert, so like 2chest or 2pants give enough for 3 accessories iirc, so can be worth doing the math).

Other than that, tomes and eden normal for accessories.
If I trade in HQ Rings I'll get 21 Certs for 50k Gil I guess. So 250k for the accessories which might not be too bad, but I am super poor in this game.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Anyone have links to a good new player guide that makes sure you don't miss anything important as you level? I'm lvl 20 right now and only have 1 class and haven't been picking up lower level quests, but I am worried I am missing leveling tradeskills or something similar that I should have picked up.

Goonsquad Officer
Anyone have links to a good new player guide that makes sure you don't miss anything important as you level? I'm lvl 20 right now and only have 1 class and haven't been picking up lower level quests, but I am worried I am missing leveling tradeskills or something similar that I should have picked up.
You're basically doing it right.

Do your job quests every time they pop (under the MSQheadding on your UI)
do your MSQ

when you get your chocobo, you can summon him to fight with you, make sure to spend his XPin a way that compliments your class (mostly with healing and dps skills).

unlock your challenge log for free weekly xp/cash/mgp 'objectives' that you will do anyway without paying attention to the log. so open it asap (i think at like level 10-15?i think zepla covers it in the video later).

if you want to start stocking tomes you can do a roulette.

if you want to fuck with the saucer and saucer vanity items, do the weekly jumbo cactpot and daily cactpot scratchoffs. start fashion report when you can.

BLUE quest markers 'unlock new things' but some times they unlock dungeons or duties you don't need to do so some of those can clog up your log. i want to say zepla has a good new player guide. let me see.

This is a guide on which blue quests to do

one final note is that if you start doing daily roulletes (a good idea for stocking tomes up), it's a good idea to have 'two classes' to level at that point, because MSQXP plus roullete XPwill way overlevel you for expansions and xp will be wasted so to speak.

if i find another new player guide i'll post it here. (hmm i see several new player guides from reputable type youtubers but i haven'et watwched them yet so i don't know if they'r worth watching. i'll update if i find one).

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
If you do end up wanting to do trade skills as well, both the crafters and gatherers are all their own jobs and there’s a couple in each starting city. Mining in Uldah, Botany in Gridania and Fishing in Limsa for gatherers. Each one has its own quest line and “weapons” and there’s different gear for crafters and gatherers.

Goonsquad Officer
Can we take over the first post on this thread or something to turn it into a link/video/guide listing? Is that a thing we can do @mods?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
If I trade in HQ Rings I'll get 21 Certs for 50k Gil I guess. So 250k for the accessories which might not be too bad, but I am super poor in this game.
50k really are they that cheap?

Btw if you have gatherers, you can get like 25k a day from gathering a map which takes like 2mins. Prices might vary but maps usually keep good value throughout due to them adding new glamours and shit to them, I generally hold as many as possible(can only own one, but it's per inventory, so 1 per retainer, 1 in chocobo saddlebag and one in own) and dump them on the weekend when their value goes up cause people like to run trains during the weekends. That's a steady consistent income that barely takes any time or investment, all you need is a gatherer at the proper level(76+ for the current tier maps I believe, don't think you need full 80).

Running one roulette at max level with the class in need for the guaranteed materia+whatever drops usually will net another 20-25k(again prices might vary, and they might be down a lot since I last played but you get some gold from the dungeon, some random VII and VIII materias as drop and the guaranteed one from the stellacluster).

If you have a crafter yourself, the daily dwarve tribes might also be a decent source of income, not sure what the materials from these are worth nowadays.

That said you can just farm whatever content for tomes and gets the basic accessories and get the better one with limited tomes as you go. I assume they raised the weekly cap to 900 already? So can buy almost 3 a week with that.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
When I started playing I found this helpful to see when and how stuff is unlocked.

And this one covers the MSQ.

• 1Like

localhost

Golden Knight of the Realm
Don't forget to visit all servers you can before buying gear. When i bought some gear to trade to get improved gear, i visited all servers, marked down all prices and bought the most efficient ones. Or you can craft it yourself if you really want before turning it. Also can use the not too useful tombstones for it.

Also nier 3 drops are not BiS, but good enough. BiS gear are usually a mix of the limited rtombstone upgraded by coins from nier 1+2+3 and eden savage gear, with may be 1 or 2 items from Hinosen (+relic).

Don't buy items that you won't keep, that's why it is better to first use something like Etro to know your need. Don't plan for Eden savage items too if you don't have a group for it.

Last edited:

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Don't forget to visit all servers you can before buying gear. When i bought some gear to trade to get improved gear, i visited all servers, marked down all prices and bought the most efficient ones.

Please god dont do this. Heres your easy way:

• 1Galaxy Brain

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The only good chocobo skills are the healing ones. The dps chocobo is piddly and the tank chocobo generates shit aggro.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Please god dont do this. Heres your easy way:
The flaw with that app is that it only updates items that are specifically searched by a user. So if there's a great deal or a misprice it gets recorded and then immediately bought by that user.

Common items you can get the jist of what something goes for but as you spiral out to lesser searched items it's way off or out of date.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
The flaw with that app is that it only updates items that are specifically searched by a user.
I use it to generally scan through the sale history and average prices. These are useful to know if you are getting a good deal, or if you should visit other servers in your data center to look for one.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Or via discord an even better solution.