Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
well both classes are still low-mid 50s for me and the black mage 'rotation' just seems pretty dull and not very intuitive, and when I look at their future abilities it looks like it just gets annoyingly complex with a trillion bajillion conditionals.

rdm is just blastin.

Yep. Not only that, you actually have some good utility to be cleanup revives for all the derps who die to one shot mechanics by dual casting revive (when you learn it) - Leaves MP for the healers to keep people healthy for room-wide aoe's.

• 1Moron
Reactions: 1 user

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Black Mage really isn’t complicated. Maintaining Enochian once you get it is really the only “tricky” part, and now that transpose is on a 3 second cooldown it’s almost fool proof.

That said, I did embarrass myself pretty thoroughly on the last boss of Dalriada a couple days ago, felt like I spent half the fight waiting on Eno cooldown. Learning fights as BLM isn’t ideal. I plan on taking RDM up first in Endwalker so that I’ve got the raises ready for progression.

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
Every fight is so motion-dependent all I can do as a BLM is dodge mid-cast and weep for all the DPS I know I'll never get back.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Stand your ground! Healers just need to adjust. If you died it's because they didn't put big enough shields on you.

• 1Worf

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Black Mage really isn’t complicated. Maintaining Enochian once you get it is really the only “tricky” part, and now that transpose is on a 3 second cooldown it’s almost fool proof.

That said, I did embarrass myself pretty thoroughly on the last boss of Dalriada a couple days ago, felt like I spent half the fight waiting on Eno cooldown. Learning fights as BLM isn’t ideal. I plan on taking RDM up first in Endwalker so that I’ve got the raises ready for progression.

It's more of an issue of annoying for me as BLM rather than complicated/hard/challenging. Like you said, yes, can transpose often or still swap it with rotation but it's still just maddening. Or boss does one aoe you dodge, you think you should be good. then you're the one targeted by another aoe right after you drop down Ley Lines. It's just a clunky feeling job compared to the others for me personally.

• 1Dislike

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Absolutely. It is annoying. I’ve played BLM since ARR as my main job. It is easier now than it’s ever been, in my opinion. The transpose cooldown and the umbral heart move just make it so much more forgiving. The better you know the fight, the better you’re going to perform on BLM. That’s why I’m going RDM first for Endwalker: this is the first time I’ve had a full static going into an expansion, so I’m not gonna handicap us by trying to BLM first.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
While transpose lets you not lose Enochian, it's also generally fucking terrible to end up using it as it fucks up your rotation, and is really a last resort kind of thing. That said yeah it's definitely easier to keep Enochian up, but once in a while you'll still drop it until you're really familiar with the class, because you'll do like some movement and then you have to decide "do I have the time to fit in a Fire IV again, or do I have to Fire I right now at the cost of maybe losing that Fire IV" and if you go for the Fire IV you'll find out you were actually about .3secs short and you drop Enochian. And while Enochian itself is kinda whatever, can just recast it, iirc it makes you drop your Xeno stacks too so that's a huge loss if you had any(and a mild inconvenience at best if you didn't).

But yeah I didn't play BLM that much in 5.x, but it felt a lot easier than in 4.x. The addition of Xeno lets you move without much damage loss a lot more, you can pool them for heavy movement phases and along with triple cast will let you cast 5 GCDs in a row which is plenty to resolve pretty much all mechanics. Does mean you have to know what's coming and plan ahead, especially having to hold Triple cast for a small DPS loss that will make up for a bigger one instead.

The amount of optimization appeals to some players though, and it is a visually pleasing class, with big numbers to boot. It is however almost impossible to know if you'll like max lvl BLM until you get almost to max level, since the rotation and to an extent the playstyle basically changes every expansion.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
This is the cool thing about this game, dps is skill based as much or more as it is gear. This is for healers and tanks as well as dps classes. Sure you need non mouth breathers to not fail mechanics too. But that BLM that knows when he can squeeze that extra cool down in by using ogcds at the right time etc, makes all the difference when you are clearing new content, and the satisfying part is every fight means a new little mini game to figure out how to optimize your class /rotation best for that specific fight. This is usually done *after* the mechanics are learned but the really skilled players get it down faster and during the mechanics learning phase ; these tend to be the guys that compete for world firsts. It’s cool because it’s very much a skill based pve game on the high high end, more so than it is gear based, compared to many other games

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
I’m talking about week 1(arguably week 2 also) savage and ultimates specifically. After that, and also with extremes , it’s more gear dependent, unless you have ultra bads that can’t do mechanics

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I’m talking about week 1(arguably week 2 also) savage and ultimates specifically. After that, and also with extremes , it’s more gear dependent, unless you have ultra bads that can’t do mechanics
Even Savage is still skill dependent, I am beyond ilvl530 and Shiva(E8S), and E12S both kick my ass if I'm not doing mech's.

And Ultimates are even more skill dependent, that's why I laughed when I heard what Asmon has planned he is gonna hit a fucking wall if he thinks he can just walk in there and destroy any Ultimate.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
I searched online a bit for this and I couldn't find any current information.

What gear is one supposed to wear in Eureka? I bought my Osode with the +elemental effect for my chestpiece, but for other pieces, I'm not sure. Are there other pieces of gear I'm supposed to be going for with +elemental effect, or just my best regular gear?

Is the path to upgrade my Antiquated gear?

Malkav

French Madman
and Elemental armor comes from... ?

all the guides are shockingly unhelpful about this kind of stuff

You need to complete the Pyros step of the weapon, unlock 50 logograms and then you'll be able to buy the base Elemental armor with Pyros Crystals (250 for a full set), which can then be upggraded in Hydatos.

• 1Worf

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I'm an omnicrafter finally, got everything to lv80 and lv500 gear! Almost felt like it was a full time job doing it in a few weeks, but enjoyed the variety of it.

Just need to get the folklore books for Gathering and do the Fishing quests for the spearfishing secondary tool.
Next you will want to ditch that 500 gear for full pentamelded 490 gear.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
I tuned in to Naguura on Twitch while she was finalizing her FFXIV character for Limit Max's "we do some raiding in FFXIV and show those weebs how it's done" project. After character creation she immediately bought a story skip and boosted a Red Mage, and I tuned out.

After four and a half hours of this I took another look, and she is still at that training dummy in Summerford trying to figure out her abilities and rotation. This is after Twitch chat told her to go there for "training dummies", because why go to the ones right out of the door in Ul'dah where she started as a Thaumaturge.

I guess those WoW "raiders" deserve their Twitch fanbase.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Next you will want to ditch that 500 gear for full pentamelded 490 gear.

It depends on what he wants too do, if he's just crafting too craft the ilvl500 gear is good.

Pentamelded 490 is if you want too HQ everything, and make Expert recipes easy(even then they are still a pain in the ass)

Goonsquad Officer
I tuned in to Naguura on Twitch while she was finalizing her FFXIV character for Limit Max's "we do some raiding in FFXIV and show those weebs how it's done" project. After character creation she immediately bought a story skip and boosted a Red Mage, and I tuned out.

After four and a half hours of this I took another look, and she is still at that training dummy in Summerford trying to figure out her abilities and rotation. This is after Twitch chat told her to go there for "training dummies", because why go to the ones right out of the door in Ul'dah where she started as a Thaumaturge.

I guess those WoW "raiders" deserve their Twitch fanbase.
oof, that isnt' going to be smooth.

I definately think the ARR+tween content is a bit too long, but they slowly ease you into using your skills and learning the mechanics in fights.

rich campbel been doing the slow story progress through MSQ and he just did Susano the other day. he said afterward that the fight was extremely easy to understand at that point. he knew what all the markers went and knew where to avoid and where to move to and that it was super smooth. If you just jumped into susano extreme from boost i can imagine it would make your brain shut down.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
It depends on what he wants too do, if he's just crafting too craft the ilvl500 gear is good.

Pentamelded 490 is if you want too HQ everything, and make Expert recipes easy(even then they are still a pain in the ass)
You only have to make the set once, and you are good until 90. If you are doing your $$$ leves you have more than enough gil to git er dun.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
I rather enjoyed this moment of Asmongold shouting out my Chocobo's name

Timestamped for your convenience.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users