Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Containment bay extremes are only PF on NA from my experience and almost always unsynced for birb farming.

delta, sigma, alpha scape is a pain in the ass on DF, but they are all pretty fun fights

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I just got Scholar/Summoner and did a bunch of quests in Limsa Lominsa. Arcanist quest line was good. Fates seem to be linked and escalating in some places, like the public quests in GW2. I am probably doing to it wrong but I am seemingly playing a bunch of clases until they unlock the advanced class then trying something else, so I don't get too far out in front of my daughter, who is playing an Archer/Bard. very. slowly. I may take Pal/Gla up to 50 to unlock some of the other classes, DRK/RDM, or keep going through and do MAR/WAR and CNJ/WHM before trying to hit 50 with anyone. There seem to be some equipment gaps, and I haven't done too much with DOTH/DOTL yet. I think have Miner to 20 but the crafting in this game doesn't really call out to me like it does in others. People are still the best in any MMO, though.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Archer/Bard is likely among the slowest/least balanced classes/jobs in the game. Hopefully she's abusing her chocobo hah.

Malkav

French Madman
I'm on JP. L50 and some L60 extremes pop on duty finder without any trouble.. For example I can get nidhogg's rage easily even though that's a clusterfuck, never gotten a kill yet.
I'll have a look at the party finder later on and see if i can get some containment bay groups that way.
JP DC etiquette is a bit different. They usually practice in PF and once they got the strat for a fight they use DF for quick clears. This works for them because they use very standardized strats for each fight and they have a strong sense of personnal responsibility due to their culture. Wouldn't work in NA since most people would rather try and brute force things or try and get carried.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Entirely possible its just a perception thing that it seems like the trash is minimal.
Na most dungeons follow the same pattern after HW, basically 2packs > wall/door/bridge/whatever > 2packs > wall > boss, repeat twice. Sometimes it's 3packs, sometimes 1pack, but still the same concept overall and since you pull everything together at the wall, it doesn't really matter.

The xp part isn't relevant either at that point, because the xp is basically balanced around it, and the end of the dungeon grants xp so that you always get the same amount overall from dungeon to dungeon, even if one has more trash(as in more trash in the same packs, it's still generally 2packs) or stronger single trash or whatever. Only in ARR since they hasn't really refined the strategy, and especially in base ARR leveling dungeons which have a lot of optional trash, do you see a difference, but after a while they just removed optional trash(pretty much all of it aggros without being able to skip it) and made sure the pace, reward and duration of the dungeon runs stay roughly the same. So in a way, it's somewhat boring since it's very formulaic, but there's never an issue of your tank not pulling enough stuff for xp or pulling too much or people getting lost(well besides the few dungeons that have backtracking and stuff via teleporters).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Na most dungeons follow the same pattern after HW, basically 2packs > wall/door/bridge/whatever > 2packs > wall > boss, repeat twice. Sometimes it's 3packs, sometimes 1pack, but still the same concept overall and since you pull everything together at the wall, it doesn't really matter.

The xp part isn't relevant either at that point, because the xp is basically balanced around it, and the end of the dungeon grants xp so that you always get the same amount overall from dungeon to dungeon, even if one has more trash(as in more trash in the same packs, it's still generally 2packs) or stronger single trash or whatever. Only in ARR since they hasn't really refined the strategy, and especially in base ARR leveling dungeons which have a lot of optional trash, do you see a difference, but after a while they just removed optional trash(pretty much all of it aggros without being able to skip it) and made sure the pace, reward and duration of the dungeon runs stay roughly the same. So in a way, it's somewhat boring since it's very formulaic, but there's never an issue of your tank not pulling enough stuff for xp or pulling too much or people getting lost(well besides the few dungeons that have backtracking and stuff via teleporters).

Yeah, some of the earliest dungeons are bloody awful for optional trash, like Sastasha and Toto-Rak

Janx

<Silver Donator>
*raises hand*
umbrella middle finger GIF

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

B_Mizzle

Golden Baronet of the Realm

I really like being able to hop on run a dungeon do a few quests and make some progress in an hour.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I spent two hours last night just organising my Retainers. Eventually said fuck it and deleted every bit of Int gear and anything else under 70 that wasn't Glamour. If I ever get round to levelling those sub 50 jobs I'll just wait till there's another sale on Journey's and take Blm, Drk, Brd, and Mch to 70.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
I really like being able to hop on run a dungeon do a few quests and make some progress in an hour.
While 14 has a ton of daily things you can do I never feel like i NEED to log in to do them to stay competitive/keep whatever mechanic it is progressing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I was watching Asmongold do his Palace of the Dead run. He died on 147 as a Machinist. Shit seems really hard. He's going to do another run on Tuesday supposedly.

B_Mizzle

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I was watching Asmongold do his Palace of the Dead run. He died on 147 as a Machinist. Shit seems really hard. He's going to do another run on Tuesday supposedly.

So getting to the bottom floor is something you can do over time or you have to start over if you stop/die?

Malkav

French Madman
So getting to the bottom floor is something you can do over time or you have to start over if you stop/die?
You can stop every 10 floors.

You lose all progress if you die or get disconnected and have to start back at 1st floor.

Cybsled

He was more mad at himself than the game. He saw where he went wrong with hindsight and admitted his nerves got to him on the floor he died.

I can understand panic brain - you forget obviously shit

edit: MCH is great because kiting is much easier and skills have instant cast times. You get snares and interrupts as well. The only thing RDM has over it is a gap escape and self heal via spell