Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Monk is somewhat weird, but it is one of the least liked class overall since like, HW or so. In ARR they were "somewhat" popular, but that was more virtue of only having monk and dragoon as melee DPS and dragoon was some big fuckery with the super long jump animation locks. Then Ninja was added in 2.4 and that started the descent of Monk into the least played classes ranking. There was a small bump in 5.0, not because it was fun, but because it was super strong due to poor balancing(happens all the time on new expansion patch, expect some broken shit in 6.0 until 6.0.5 or 6.1 depending on the severity), and then everything else got buffed and monk fell back by 5.1.

That's why it got a full rework, first in 5.4(I think it was?) with the removal of GL stacks and some other changes which made it less annoying to play, but somewhat boring, and now with the 6.0 addition of a full layer of new mechanics to make it less boring.

Ultimately, if you like monk or not depends a bunch on what kind of player you are. It's pretty apm intensive, with positionals on every move(next expansion they're remove positionals on a couple of moves, but it'll still require more positionals than every other melees, so lots of moving around especially with the lower GCD) and before the 5.4 rework had a huge skill floor(dropping GL stacks was a disaster) while feeling like shit when soloing and doing 4man dungeons. The GL change in 5.4 made that a lot less shit though, so it's actually somewhat enjoyable currently imo, but pretty boring. The 6.0 changes should make it less boring with a more standard "ressource minigame" added to the rotation which should spice it up, and stuff like the new teleport should also make it feel great to dodge stuff and what not. On the flipside, since they're adding Reaper, I doubt Monk will see much of a popularity bump, competing against both the old favorite SAM and the new shiny edgy melee Reaper.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm getting pretty close to 80 in all jobs now and Monk is definitely the dps I've enjoyed the least. You do twice the work as the other jobs getting all your positionals in just to do the same dps. Theres no reward for the extra tedium.

Cybsled

Monk has some awesome animations, but I do agree that they don't feel as satisfying to play in their current form. Like you never feel like you're building up to some super attack, which 6.0 seems to be rectifying

Chris

Potato del Grande
I'm getting pretty close to 80 in all jobs now and Monk is definitely the dps I've enjoyed the least. You do twice the work as the other jobs getting all your positionals in just to do the same dps. Theres no reward for the extra tedium.
How did you do 50-60 as DPS?

I'm resorting to daily MSQ/Alliance Raid roulette and it's killing me, I'm working on the last ranged DPS to 60 (Bard) but I have all the melee DPS left to go.

Pretty confident I can just queue dungeons as Tank to level like I did with the healers, which was totally fine.

Deep dungeons seem like pretty poor exp with variable group quality. Beast tribes don't seem great but maybe I can mix them into my roulettes.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I'm resorting to daily MSQ/Alliance Raid roulette and it's killing me, I'm working on the last ranged DPS to 60 (Bard) but I have all the melee DPS left to go.

Pretty confident I can just queue dungeons as Tank to level like I did with the healers, which was totally fine.

Deep dungeons seem like pretty poor exp with variable group quality. Beast tribes don't seem great but maybe I can mix them into my roulettes.
Deep dungeons are the best exp you can get.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I've been doing them slowly while progressing relic quests in Bozja for the 71-80 part. 50-70 has mostly been the daily roulettes and the relic parts which arnt in bozja with the occasional dungeon spam.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Could throw some Squadron Command missions in as well.

They're not great but they help you dispense with the DF queues 50-60. 50-53 Brayflox (Hard), 53-57 Sohm Al, and 57-60 The Vault.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I've been doing them slowly while progressing relic quests in Bozja for the 71-80 part. 50-70 has mostly been the daily roulettes and the relic parts which arnt in bozja with the occasional dungeon spam.
Thanks. Yeah I just want a reliable grind but looks like this will be a long term thing until I can level in Bozja at 70.

Deep dungeons are the best exp you can get.
Maybe with a static group. I always get a disappointing amount of exp for the time spent.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Could throw some Squadron Command missions in as well.

They're not great but they help you dispense with the DF queues 50-60. 50-53 Brayflox (Hard), 53-57 Sohm Al, and 57-60 The Vault.
Yeah I lived in those from 32-50 but the 51+ ones didn't seem great exp and were more difficult. I'll give it another go.

Doesn't Brayflox have an exp penalty for being a lv50 dungeon?

Kantern

Silver Knight of the Realm

Beast tribe quests are a good experience boost too with how they scale. I was all 70 going into ShB but two of my classes from 70-80 were done purely on beast tribes while I focused more actively on others.

Goonsquad Officer
i do 50-60 dps with a mix of beast tribe quests, and roulettes. i don't really rush those heavily. bug tribe, bird tribe, MSQ roullete + youtube, leveling, 50-70, alliance raid. I absolutely do the challenge log for fates (while at the same time , i have one of my 80's sitting on the SHB relic step for HW fates. so i do 10 fates a week at least for that xp bonus, and get 10 memories/week for when my character reaches 80). Some times i get a wild hair and do a normal zone quest, then regret it.

I also help sprout friends do dungeons, so level a little off of that.

i stopped doing adventure squad leveling at 50, but i need to experiment with my near-'max' adventure squad (all offense, almost maxed) marauder, healer, archer archer. maybe it's worth doing.

and finally, as ever, wonderous tails is super easy to get done and is worth a hefty chunk of xp.

60-70 i do much the same thing, but with turtles and snakes.

71+ is pixies, 'some' trusts, and bozja. though interestingly fates and overworld quests in SHB arn't heartwrenchingly horrid, they're more "okay" in xp. so that's a thing.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Hard too belive that I helped rebuild this, finnaly got some time too play hahahah...
ffxiv_09212021_002435_810.pngffxiv_09212021_002632_695.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

English VA for Lord Edmondt Fortemps died :(. Damn, he did an excellent job

• 5Solidarity
  • 3Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 8 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Also worth noting for news, the Media Tour is happening soon-ish(or happened already? no idea when it actually is) and the NDA for it will lifted on the 13th of October. There's a post on reddit with a tentative list of all the people who will have access(only people who announced it basically), lots of them, some more superficial content creators and such, like Rich Campbell and possibly Asmongold, and some that are streamers with world first race experience. Good variety of mains too, at least one main for each archetype, so can expect indepth comparisons to live and such for healers, tanks and DPS.

So basically on that day you can expect hours of videos put out by various people on how the new classes changes actually play and any details that didn't make the live letter. Numbers aren't final on these but are usually rather close to live(iirc last time there was only a couple of things changed), granted the potencies are gonna look weird with the stats squish and magic/phys potency merging they're doing, so it will only be good to compare to other classes during this media tour rather than to current version live values.