Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So what’s the word on sage will it be the meta over sch?
There isn't really a meta, unless you mean speedruns. Most raids will bring either of them, they're both excelent.

Speedruns might favor SGE cause it does a bit more dmg, although SCH will likely scale better as the expansion go anyway since crit raid buff, so once ppl have more crit it becomes better. The only constant in "meta" is that BLM is not as favored as RDM/SMN for prog due to no rez(but fine if double casters), people don't like double shields(although it's probably more than fine for savage) and people don't like double of any specific class either due to LB penalty. Honestly besides that the only people who care about meta when making statics/PF are small brain losers who think using speedrun meta will make it easier to prog when you're dying to fucking shit mechanics ppl who are doing speedruns cleared 5weeks before on the 2nd pull.

Malkav

French Madman
There isn't really a meta, unless you mean speedruns. Most raids will bring either of them, they're both excelent.

Speedruns might favor SGE cause it does a bit more dmg, although SCH will likely scale better as the expansion go anyway since crit raid buff, so once ppl have more crit it becomes better. The only constant in "meta" is that BLM is not as favored as RDM/SMN for prog due to no rez(but fine if double casters), people don't like double shields(although it's probably more than fine for savage) and people don't like double of any specific class either due to LB penalty. Honestly besides that the only people who care about meta when making statics/PF are small brain losers who think using speedrun meta will make it easier to prog when you're dying to fucking shit mechanics ppl who are doing speedruns cleared 5weeks before on the 2nd pull.

Basically if you bring BLM go double caster with it replacing a melee DPS.

If you go SCH/SGE, you need to agree on which one is shielding not to overwrite the other shields (so it'll probably be the SGE not hitting Eukrasia).

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
shields not stacking has made me sorta regret switching from WHM to SCH.
It doesn't matter a whole lot. The "downside" is mostly not having as much raw aoe healing as WHM/AST, not that the shields don't stack, it's pretty easy to just not shield when you don't need to, which is most of the time anyway, and when you do need to shield, Adlo spread is better than whatever the SGE can do anyway, so you just do that and it'll overwrite his little penis shit if he tries to shield too. And his shields won't overwrite yours.

It's possible they'll have a pretty healing intensive fight, but seeing the normal modes I'm not sure. Maybe P4S with 4 carpets will chain aoes quickly but unsure yet. If not, then SGE+SCH is more than adequate.

Ehrgeix

Trakanon Raider

Unlikely, when we start seeing hyper optimised runs the 2m buff window sch contributes to is likely to outweigh sage damage at high end (Not sure about .0 balance but this is how things have historically usually worked and SE doesn’t tend to change the formula).

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
SCH still very fucking good and I fucking love having one.

As much as people memed on the group sprint when it was announced, it's pretty fucking great to have it for some mechanics and keep your own sprint for something else.
The group spread / tankbusters all at once during Lightwaves II in EX2 makes the ability REALLY shine.

I'm always overlapping with someone who stands too fucking close to me, and if I had a SCH instead of SGE healing, I'd have not only bigger shields but that 1 or 2 dps overlapping away from me.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Since I’m way too smooth brain for astral eclipse, expedience has also been super useful for following Doritos on zodiark as well.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
I've not done either EX on scholar yet, but having both at 90, I think I might scholar might be slightly better than sage, but I think sage may be more satisfying to play.

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
It can’t be said enough, Expedient is fucking baller in the current extreme trials. Do you need it? No. Does it help immensely while learning? Yes.

I am also mostly pugging the ex’s and will be doing the same for the savage next week. Have got 6 RL buddies playing, but a couple don’t seem interested in doing anything remotely challenging, and the rest have pretty sporadic playtimes.

I’m on Crystal and will be trying to learn the savage fights next week in the evenings. I typically play from 10 PM EST until 2 or 3.

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Wife and I went in and completed all the new Pandemonium raids blind last night. 1st and 3rd fights went fairly easy and all the mechanics were easy enough to passively pick up on, I don't think we even wiped once on the 1st fight, and only wiped once on 3rd fight. 2nd and 4th fights took some doing, and we LB3 rezzed twice on both fights when we finally succeeded, were fun as hell learning. Have the 4th fight down really well now, only died at the very end on our last pull doing LB finisher. 2nd fight though almost caused some marital issues, wife kept stacking on me during the spread mechanic lol, almost had to smack a bitch. She has barely played MMO's, and has never really done a lot of raid or more difficult content, so I was ultimately fairly happy with her performance all things considered.

Will be interesting to see how much more difficult the 2nd and 4th fight will be on Savage.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
Wife and I went in and completed all the new Pandemonium raids blind last night. 1st and 3rd fights went fairly easy and all the mechanics were easy enough to passively pick up on, I don't think we even wiped once on the 1st fight, and only wiped once on 3rd fight. 2nd and 4th fights took some doing, and we LB3 rezzed twice on both fights when we finally succeeded, were fun as hell learning. Have the 4th fight down really well now, only died at the very end on our last pull doing LB finisher. 2nd fight though almost caused some marital issues, wife kept stacking on me during the spread mechanic lol, almost had to smack a bitch. She has barely played MMO's, and has never really done a lot of raid or more difficult content, so I was ultimately fairly happy with her performance all things considered.

Will be interesting to see how much more difficult the 2nd and 4th fight will be on Savage.
1st is really easy, very clearly telegraphed.

2nd I found fairly easy last week but this week once I noticed the arrows on the boss for the aoe, it clicked and I main tanked it flawlessly.

3rd I know the tactics and can avoid wiping the raid as a tank on adds and tank buster, but I keep getting hit on the edge of AoEs and missing the boss indicators and dying to vulnerability stacks. It seems very timing sensitive.

4th I can probably do flawlessly now, it's all about reading what element is beneath the carpets (lighting = corner, water = middle), going into to opposite role symbols and reading capes as knockback and swords as hug side to avoid triangle aoe. Made a shit ton of mistakes last week, 2 this week and I'll ace it I'm sure next time.

So I'm actually finding the 3rd the most difficult right now.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
biggest problem i had pugging the 4th fight is everyone being out of position for the lightning geyser once he starts going through three and four elements. It really is incredibly unforgiving if you're late getting into a corner, even if you don't have any vuln.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Oh and I just finished Paladin Anima Weapon Lux to go with Tank Elemental Armor +1 so that I have the most glow it's possible to have in this game, but now I'm having to talk my wife down from divorcing me since I spent the last two days killing Alexander Savage 1 60 times.

Need to decide between doing Gunbreaker Bozja Weapon, Healer Elemental Armor or sending time with my wife now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Krowbar

Molten Core Raider
I tanked all 4 last week and we had one wipe each on bosses 3 and 4 because no one knew how to counter some mechanics.

This week I didn't tank boss 3 and noticed that as the offtank, I was taking a lot of damage from the 4 untargettable "balloons" floating around the bird but the healers were really struggling to keep people alive so I died then a dps got tankbustered and it cascaded into a wipe. After we wiped, the dps had a better understanding of the mechanics and were dying less I guess because it went smoothly.

Boss 4 we pretty much one-shot it as the knockbacks into the spikes were the big killer last week and we had minimal deaths this time around.

Oh, warrior self healing is overrated on boss fights. I almost feel like PLD or GNB would be better suited but mine are still stuck at 83 and 81. :p

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
I tanked all 4 last week and we had one wipe each on bosses 3 and 4 because no one knew how to counter some mechanics.
I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the 2nd one, and I fully understand all mechanics. Brain doesn't click a lot.

It's gonna be a nightmare to PUG that in Savage.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I ragequit after 1 attempt at Boss 3 tonight. Zero first timers and I spent most of the raid rezzing compared to last night when a raid of at least half first timers one-shot it.

Krowbar

Molten Core Raider
I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the 2nd one, and I fully understand all mechanics. Brain doesn't click a lot.

It's gonna be a nightmare to PUG that in Savage.
I still haven't killed trial 2 extreme. After the chakram phase, if I don't drag her back and line up with the two stack markers, we end up wiping because everyone ends up with 2-3 vuln up stacks. Everyone knows the mechanics but they seem to forget the basics from the first phase when she's standing at some random position and doing them again. :/